Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-21-2007   #1
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 140315 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Is Robinson the ONLY Texan's DB?

1. Given his level of inconsistency, why does Faggins still have a job that doesn't involve selling cars?

2. While watching televised Texans' games do you ever hear the announcers say anything about members of the Texans' secondary other than Dunta Robinson saying things other than:

"The Texan burned on that play was..."

"The man beaten was..."

" That pass was caught at the expense of..."

Get Robinson some help already!
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #2
RamRod
Rookie

Default Re: Is Robinson the ONLY Texan's DB?

no. d rob showed up perfectly on that last drive..
RamRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #3
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104197 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

D-Rob is the only good DB and he's basically a mediocre corner that tackles well.
The1ApplePie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #4
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head-001 View Post
1. Given his level of inconsistency, why does Faggins still have a job that doesn't involve selling cars?

2. While watching televised Texans' games do you ever hear the announcers say anything about members of the Texans' secondary other than Dunta Robinson saying things other than:

"The Texan burned on that play was..."

"The man beaten was..."

" That pass was caught at the expense of..."

Get Robinson some help already!

1. Faggins still has a job because Bennett has been slowly groomed to take over the spot from him.

2. Yes, on the big third down play it was Bennett that knocked the ball away forcing the titans to punt to us. In addition, Bennett made a great special teams play.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #5
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Is Robinson the ONLY Texan's DB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
D-Rob is the only good DB and he's basically a mediocre corner that tackles well.
I love him, his passion, how good he is to the fans, but you're dead on (I felt bad for him after the game - he was so angry about giving up that pass he honestly looked like he was going to hurt himself trying to get his jersey and pads off, someone had to come help him after he got himself tangled up).
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #6
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
I love him, his passion, how good he is to the fans, but you're dead on (I felt bad for him after the game - he was so angry about giving up that pass he honestly looked like he was going to hurt himself trying to get his jersey and pads off, someone had to come help him after he got himself tangled up).
Call me crazy, but I actually thought he had good coverage on the long pass. It was a perfect throw and nice catch. I guess it would've helped if Dunta was a bit taller, but he was in the right position.

The 16 yarder before that one appeared to be his fault though.
Old 10-22-2007   #7
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I've said this for 2 seasons now, but Daunta is nothing more than a #2 CB on most teams. He isn't a cover CB. He is not very good in man coverage at all, and will almost never make a play on the ball in man coverage. When he makes a "play", it is often because of a zone coverage or the S actually came over to help. When Dauta is left 1 on 1 with any WR, I have just a tad more confidence than I do in Faggins, and I've been harping on him for God knows how long.

We need to seriously go after a big name CB, either through trade or FA, and hope that can shore up some of our defensive woes. I think we have some S's that the FO feels ok about, but I would rather see Bennett as a Nickle Back with 2 legit CB's ahead of him.
Old 10-22-2007   #8
real

Saying Dunta doesn't make plays on the ball is only telling me you were in the bathroom when he batted down those two balls in a row on those slant patterns.
Old 10-22-2007   #9
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post
Saying Dunta doesn't make plays on the ball is only telling me you were in the bathroom when he batted down those two balls in a row on those slant patterns.
No, I was in listening on the radio, but I was speaking in general terms over the last 2+ seasons.
Old 10-22-2007   #10
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
No, I was in listening on the radio, but I was speaking in general terms over the last 2+ seasons.
Even if you were speaking generally I still disagree.

He had 6 INT's his rookie season when he had a better corner opposite him.

You don't pick off 6 passes in the NFL without playing the ball.

You don't have 11 picks and 47 PD's on the highest level of your profession and not know how to play the ball.

No...He's no Deion, or Champ but I've seen those guys get roasted too...
Old 10-22-2007   #11
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post
Even if you were speaking generally I still disagree.

He had 6 INT's his rookie season when he had a better corner opposite him.

You don't pick off 6 passes in the NFL without playing the ball.

You don't have 11 picks and 47 PD's on the highest level of your profession and not know how to play the ball.

No...He's no Deion, or Champ but I've seen those guys get roasted too...
This basicly goes to my point. When he was playing second fiddle, he had his only "good" year. Yes, he will make a few plays, he was a first round pick, but he isn't a #1 CB. I don't think he is Faggins, but his coverage ability is not that great. He gives a big cushion, and seems to keep his hips too high and at an odd angle when covering. He also seems to not have his weight centered when back-peddeling, which I believe causes his delayed breaks and allows many of those underneath patterns that he gives up every game. I think he would be one of the best #2 CB's in the league, but he is just not a shut down #1 CB like many think he is IMO.
Old 10-22-2007   #12
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104197 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post
god you wish that was true. just like you wish reggie was something other than a mediocre running back that catches well.

maybe we're arguing semantics, but i don't think dunta qualifies as mediocre. by no means is he a shutdown corner, but the word mediocre implies that he isn't that good which isn't true. average to slightly above average i'll accept but not words with negative connotations...

"tackles well..." hahaha...my ass tackles well, did you see the hit he put on that guy yesterday? that guy almost doubles dunta's frame and got the hell knocked out of him...
God I hate topics that always turn into Reggie bashing. I could have pointed out that Reggie won the game for his team with a tough red zone performance while your boy Mario's only play of note was getting ***** slapped by Lendale White in a bunch of topics, but I am tired of beating a dead horse with fanboys.

Last edited by The1ApplePie; 10-22-2007 at 12:58 PM.
The1ApplePie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #13
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've said this for 2 seasons now, but Daunta is nothing more than a #2 CB on most teams. He isn't a cover CB. He is not very good in man coverage at all, and will almost never make a play on the ball in man coverage. When he makes a "play", it is often because of a zone coverage or the S actually came over to help. When Dauta is left 1 on 1 with any WR, I have just a tad more confidence than I do in Faggins, and I've been harping on him for God knows how long.

We need to seriously go after a big name CB, either through trade or FA, and hope that can shore up some of our defensive woes. I think we have some S's that the FO feels ok about, but I would rather see Bennett as a Nickle Back with 2 legit CB's ahead of him.
This post is ridiculous. Dunta had a great game on Sunday. That final pass was perfectly placed...... a DB can't beat that. Dunta gave 110%.

Dunta is not the best cover DB but he is easily better than many starters I can name across the board.
Old 10-22-2007   #14
real

Quote:
and seems to keep his hips too high and at an odd angle when covering.
That "odd angle" he covers at is designed...

It's what allows him to to break on the ball so fast when it's thrown in front of him or when a RB runs to his side, and it is also what helps him recover if a reciever does a stop and go type route......People tend to be able to move quicker back and forth latterally than they do moving front to back....Try it sometime...

And I have no clue what you are complaining about his hips being too high for...That is like...a total non-issue, IMHO...

Your analysis needs work. If you think Dunta has bad technique then you probably don't know much.

Honestly, the rest of your post was way off base as well...But I guess I will just let sleeping dogs lie...

Edit: go back and look at the INT D.Rob got against the Panthers...had Steve Smith done a stop and go Dunta was in perfect position to recover even though he had jumped that short route...That's called good technique...

Last edited by real; 10-22-2007 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-22-2007   #15
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
This post is ridiculous. Dunta had a great game on Sunday. That final pass was perfectly placed...... a DB can't beat that. Dunta gave 110%.

Dunta is not the best cover DB but he is easily better than many starters I can name across the board.
I'm not trying to bash him. He played a good game from what I take, but I'm saying, he just isn't a #1 CB. He is clearly our best CB, and an emotional leader, and I never said anything about the last pass yesterday. All I'm trying to re-hash is that his best year was when he was a #2 CB, with an established #1 CB across the field...and that his cover skills aren't top notch. He is an adequate CB, but not what everyone makes him out to be. That is all. Personally, I love the lil dude, but let's look at things in perspective.
Old 10-22-2007   #16
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Dunta, IMO, has been a very good corner this year, a #1 corner who plays like a #1 corner. He's been good in coverage and his physical presence in the secondary is a big boost for our defense. He got beat on that last drive, twice, but he was right on Williams on both plays, the 40 yard pass he was all over Williams but IMO there was nothing he could've done about that one. Collins and Williams made a great play, Dunta had very good coverage but there wasn't much he could've done outside of tackle Williams before the ball got there to stop that one.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #17
real

Quote:
All I'm trying to re-hash is that his best year was when he was a #2 CB, with an established #1 CB across the field...
That was his best year statistically.

If you can't see that the year he is having now has been his best football year, then I'm not sure what to tell ya'.
Old 10-22-2007   #18
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not trying to bash him. He played a good game from what I take, but I'm saying, he just isn't a #1 CB. He is clearly our best CB, and an emotional leader, and I never said anything about the last pass yesterday. All I'm trying to re-hash is that his best year was when he was a #2 CB, with an established #1 CB across the field...and that his cover skills aren't top notch. He is an adequate CB, but not what everyone makes him out to be. That is all. Personally, I love the lil dude, but let's look at things in perspective.
Well, I agree with you that we could use a better CB. That's a no brainer.

Just wanted to defend D-Rob's honor.

Old 10-22-2007   #19
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Freddie B has been performing really well...he's been tearing it up on special teams too. I'm glad they are developing him at his own pace and giving him just enough that he can handle it. I think he's going to be a great cb to have on our team...dunta is playing really well too.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read