Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-21-2007   #1
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93773 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I listened but didn't watch

Ok. I didn't see the game. I did listen by way of a phone set in front of the tv in Houston. First does anyone have a copy? I think my beloved dvr is fried (does anyone know if they have hacked the r15 to where you can get recorded shows onto another media? I have all of last year's game and several of this years games on there)

Our defense couldn't have been that bad. You give up 4 turnovers and only 36 points? Not to mention you score 7 on a fumble return. Put this in perspective... they started EIGHT drives on their 49 or closer. SEVEN were in our territory including 5 inside our 35 yardline. On those possessions we gave up a total of 18 points. That is REMARKABLE. That is less than a field goal average when we gave them the ball 1 yard away from mid field or closer.

There are three things this team does poorly. Stop the run to the outside. Defend the deep ball or the screen pass. Unfortunately that will make for a rough game against most nfl teams. Fortunately it also means we can fix it since there are obvious answers. I think we need a FS perhaps as much as anything on defense.

Alot of people ask why we don't blitz Drob more. IMHO that is because we can't. If we do, then we give up our only true cover corner. Our safeties are weak at best and asking them to provide support to BOTH sides of the field is just something you can't do.

A good FS can even cover up a hole at CB. Especially in Faggin's case because he is a decent cover guy in the first ... he's just not fast enough to cover a guy for 30 yards. In small spaces however he has done a remarkable job. My next move would be OLB. We can make do with Clark OR Greenwood. But not both. Too much of a liability on that side.

As far as offense goes. We need a real LT. Saalam is doing every thing he can. But age and injuries make dealing with a speed rush a pipe dream. Then you have center. Flanagan is a professional no doubt. He's just not a professional center. We need one because Mckinney is injury prone.

Then you have to shore up the RB situation. Green is aging/injured and we know that.

I know that AJ being out is causing problems. But that's not the end of our problems in the red zone. people want to see OD used more, but realistically you can't do much with the when you can't spread the defense out in the redzone. AJ coming back will fix that I think. He should always be lined up on the opposite side of the line from OD. Additionally we need a running game. See the OL and RB.

Its not the end of the world. We're a 7 win team and coming from a 2 win team two years ago... that's commendable.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007   #2
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: I listened but didn't watch

Man I am with you all the way on this until you said...

"We are a 7 win team coming from a 2 win team..."

I'm just tired of hearing that kind of "Well...we are better than we were." How much better? Still a losing team and no telling what happens in the offseason as easy as we can gain guys we can lose them too.

I agree the Defense did a great job today, just unfortunate that they pretty much had their backs against the wall most of the game.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007   #3
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93773 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
Man I am with you all the way on this until you said...

"We are a 7 win team coming from a 2 win team..."

I'm just tired of hearing that kind of "Well...we are better than we were." How much better? Still a losing team and no telling what happens in the offseason as easy as we can gain guys we can lose them too.

I agree the Defense did a great job today, just unfortunate that they pretty much had their backs against the wall most of the game.
Well the fact is. You have to build a team. Its not about the wins so much as it is the progress. Even teams with huge turnarounds can point to a building process. Anybody remember when the pats were horrible? It wasn't that long ago.

Look at some of the franchises that have turned it around. N.E. Indy, Dallas all come to mind. They put players in. Alot of those players played for a few bad years before the team turned it around.

Now look at teams that haven't been able to do it. Washington and Arizona are the best examples I can give. Coaches and systems aren't developed. They bring in high priced free agents but don't allow the team to build a system. Hopefully we're in the first group and not the last.

Mike

Old 10-21-2007   #4
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
Well the fact is. You have to build a team. Its not about the wins so much as it is the progress. Even teams with huge turnarounds can point to a building process. Anybody remember when the pats were horrible? It wasn't that long ago.

Look at some of the franchises that have turned it around. N.E. Indy, Dallas all come to mind. They put players in. Alot of those players played for a few bad years before the team turned it around.

Now look at teams that haven't been able to do it. Washington and Arizona are the best examples I can give. Coaches and systems aren't developed. They bring in high priced free agents but don't allow the team to build a system. Hopefully we're in the first group and not the last.

Mike
That's just the thing, we are building but we can lose guys as fast as we gain them and we can be stuck in mediocre for a few years than go back to losing again.

I hope we are in the first group, I hope this is just the process of losing and learning how to win. I know we need a few more pieces, I am just tired of waiting for next year I guess.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007   #5
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ok. I didn't see the game. I did listen by way of a phone set in front of the tv in Houston.
First my jaw hit the desk, then I laughed, then I decided to come back with something witty:

But I got nothing.
Old 10-21-2007   #6
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ok. I didn't see the game. I did listen by way of a phone set in front of the tv in Houston. First does anyone have a copy? I think my beloved dvr is fried (does anyone know if they have hacked the r15 to where you can get recorded shows onto another media? I have all of last year's game and several of this years games on there)

Our defense couldn't have been that bad. You give up 4 turnovers and only 36 points? Not to mention you score 7 on a fumble return. Put this in perspective... they started EIGHT drives on their 49 or closer. SEVEN were in our territory including 5 inside our 35 yardline. On those possessions we gave up a total of 18 points. That is REMARKABLE. That is less than a field goal average when we gave them the ball 1 yard away from mid field or closer.
try 6 turnovers
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007   #7
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
First my jaw hit the desk, then I lauged, then I decided to come back with something witty:

But I got nothing.
lol at least you can't question my devotion to the team right?

Mike

Sponsored links
Old 10-21-2007   #8
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
try 6 turnovers
I stand corrected.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read