Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-21-2007   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80254 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Can playcalling overcome a manhandled OL?

When I watched the game, it was obvious the O line was completely dominated by the Titans D-line. The running game was shutdown. Schaub was getting no time to throw and no protection. Give the Titans D some credit. Their front D is awesome, along with out OL not being very good.

But I see that some are still blaming bad playcalling. So here's the question.

What kinds of plays can be called to offset getting beat in the trenches?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007   #2
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Can playcalling overcome a manhandled OL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
When I watched the game, it was obvious the O line was completely dominated by the Titans D-line. The running game was shutdown. Schaub was getting no time to throw and no protection. Give the Titans D some credit. Their front D is awesome, along with out OL not being very good.

Quick kicks
Old 10-21-2007   #3
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't watch the OL close enough beyond the point that I can tell they're getting their butts kicked. Did any of them play well today? Do we have any players worth keeping around for next year on the line?
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007   #4
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4662 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Quick kicks
sad but true
Old 10-21-2007   #5
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93152 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I refer you to the quick hitch, hooks, slants, flat passes of the glorious Carr era.
Old 10-21-2007   #6
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They need to design plays that play to the line's strengths.

The first play would leverage the fact that Salaam can play both left and right tackle at the same mediocre level.

Next they need to have a play where Flanagan's locker room persona can open a hole for the RB.

Finally, when it is 3rd and goal and one yard to go, Salaam and Flanagan need to stand up and announce they formerly played for Kubiak and Sherman on other teams, possibly in lyrical fashion. 6 points, guaranteed.

Old 10-21-2007   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

We were ineffective in the red-zone against the Jags, but moved the ball downfield between the 20s in a very effective manner in that game.
In this game we couldn't move the ball at all until the 4th Q. I dunno, but as good as the Titans front 4 might be, I don't think they are that much better than the Jags front 4, if at all.
So why did the Texans OLine perform so much better on the road against the Jags last week than against a vinceless Titans D in Reliant this week ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-21-2007   #8
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 128424 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Use their agressiveness against them with counters, screens and quick passes. However our lack of explosion at RB and a DNP'ing AJ makes those things hard to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007   #9
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93152 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Use their agressiveness against them with counters, screens and quick passes. However our lack of explosion at RB and a DNP'ing AJ makes those things hard to do.
Is this not the same playcalling that everyone here complained about when Carr was QB and Doom wandered the sidelines?

Can't make chicken salad with chicken ......
Old 10-21-2007   #10
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

They are what they are, and nothing can change that except coaching and new talent. I expect next year we will see some new talent.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007   #11
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80254 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

So again, to hammer home the point . . .

If the O-line is getting totally dominated, how can you blame the playcalling?
Old 10-21-2007   #12
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So again, to hammer home the point . . .

If the O-line is getting totally dominated, how can you blame the playcalling?
I know why we can't run screen passes ... we have matadors for guards .
Old 10-21-2007   #13
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 128424 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Is this not the same playcalling that everyone here complained about when Carr was QB and Doom wandered the sidelines?

Can't make chicken salad with chicken ......
The difference is different teams have different strengths and weaknesses. In the past we thought we could out "execute" them and run our plays. Same plays over and over. It got us...well high draft picks every year.

I believe we now have enough Offensive minded people to take advantage of the other teams weaknesses and use their strengths against them. Game plans should for the most part change week in and week out.

So I say yes, play calling can help an inconsistent OL.

Quote:
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
Old 10-21-2007   #14
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97142 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

No.. it might be able to buy a little time as far as staying in a game, but unequivocally no.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007   #15
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
So I say yes, play calling can help an inconsistent OL.
You call that performance today by our OL "inconsistent"?

Well, IMO, using "inconsistent" to describe the OL's play today, is just looking for an excuse to lay the blame somewhere else.
Old 10-21-2007   #16
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

I think literally one guy is safe to keep and put stock into on that line.

Eric Winston. That is it. That is the only guy that I hardly ever see beat and I think he will hold down that sopt for a long time to come.

Now Salaam...he has to go. Maybe he can be a leader, but he can do it on the bench or the inactive list, hell Kalu seems to do it. He is hurting this team and he's going to get Schaub killed out there. Pitts is alright, he isn't horrible but he isn't nothing to get excited about, same can be said with Weary but IMO a little bit better than Pitts. Flanagan falls in the same line as Salaam.

So yeah, one guy I feel for sure that can start for us next year and that is Winston. I agree that the playcalling isn't as bad as some make it seem. We can't run the ball so Kubiak is being limited because on running plays our Oline is getting handled.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007   #17
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Oh. I thought he said "incontinent".
Old 10-21-2007   #18
PapaL
Loose Screw

Quote:

Well, IMO, using "inconsistent" to describe the OL's play today, is just looking for an excuse to lay the blame somewhere else.
Did that say OUR offensive line?

Truth of the matter is they have been Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Do tell where do you think the blame should be placed?

Quote:
Old 10-21-2007   #19
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

I really thought Pitts, Weary and Winston where the answer for us long term.

This years run game makes me quetion this. Or is A.Green that over done??
Old 10-21-2007   #20
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I really thought Pitts, Weary and Winston where the answer for us long term.

This years run game makes me quetion this. Or is A.Green that over done??
IMO I would keep Weary and Pitts for the next year, C and LT are bigger needs than them. As for Winston he is playing good right now, I wouldn't mess with him.

As for Green, he's alright. He's not a RB that can break a tackle in the backfield or otherwise make a negative play positive. Those are guys like LT, Peterson, even Lynch. Otherwise he's not a RB that can make the Oline look good, not any more IMO. He seems to be on his last legs.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read