Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-21-2007   #1
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What did we learn today?

Ok everyone. Calm down, take a deep breath, and get a cold glass of water. This is not the end of the world. If anything, it shows how much we have progressed in the last couple of years. So Awtysst (that would be me) would like to break down the lessons this game(and this season thus far) have taught us.

1. The Texans are not a playoff team this year. So everyone who is thinking playoffs, forget it right now, its not going to happen. I know with that 2-0 start the Texans looked great. However, we are building towards a playoff run and need another off season and draft. There are only so many holes we can fill at once. Instead lets concentrate on getting the team to gel and play together.

2. Our reserves suck. We have a bunch of great starters, but it should be obvious that we are not in a position where we can plug in players and expect great results. We are still molding a great team and this takes time. BTW, if there were any C&C supporters out there, you can thank those two for our lack of depth.

3. Defense. This young defense has shown glimpses of looking really good. However, we are still in need of a true FS. I will say that I liked what I saw out of Bennett today. He is gonna be a great secondary CB opposite Dunta.

4. Lay off Dunta. I know a bunch of people are blaming Dunta but you really need to blame the front 4. They need to get more pressure on the QB and make Collins get rid of the ball faster. When crunch time came they simply couldnt get rid to the ball. They were probably gassed.

5. Turnovers. We are not good enough to spot teams points. Fumbling the ball within your own 30 is as good as spotting the opposition 3 points. Do it enough times and it has a tendency to bite you on the ass.

6. Heart. This Texans team did not quit. They might have been playing a soft D in the 4th, but they still played all out. They scored 29 points and were on the verge of victory. You know what? The Texans did not deserve to win that game and should have been blown out. Instead they came back and made it a real game. In a couple years we will look back at games like this that was the catylist for the Texans success.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007   #2
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What did we learn today?

Never to get excited about this team again, every time I do I end up disappointed and depress.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007   #3
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

7. I must've been a cowboys fan in a past life to deserve this kind of punishment.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007   #4
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Ok everyone. Calm down, take a deep breath, and get a cold glass of water. This is not the end of the world. If anything, it shows how much we have progressed in the last couple of years. So Awtysst (that would be me) would like to break down the lessons this game(and this season thus far) have taught us.

1. The Texans are not a playoff team this year. So everyone who is thinking playoffs, forget it right now, its not going to happen. I know with that 2-0 start the Texans looked great. However, we are building towards a playoff run and need another off season and draft. There are only so many holes we can fill at once. Instead lets concentrate on getting the team to gel and play together.

2. Our reserves suck. We have a bunch of great starters, but it should be obvious that we are not in a position where we can plug in players and expect great results. We are still molding a great team and this takes time. BTW, if there were any C&C supporters out there, you can thank those two for our lack of depth.

3. Defense. This young defense has shown glimpses of looking really good. However, we are still in need of a true FS. I will say that I liked what I saw out of Bennett today. He is gonna be a great secondary CB opposite Dunta.

4. Lay off Dunta. I know a bunch of people are blaming Dunta but you really need to blame the front 4. They need to get more pressure on the QB and make Collins get rid of the ball faster. When crunch time came they simply couldnt get rid to the ball. They were probably gassed.

5. Turnovers. We are not good enough to spot teams points. Fumbling the ball within your own 30 is as good as spotting the opposition 3 points. Do it enough times and it has a tendency to bite you on the ass.

6. Heart. This Texans team did not quit. They might have been playing a soft D in the 4th, but they still played all out. They scored 29 points and were on the verge of victory. You know what? The Texans did not deserve to win that game and should have been blown out. Instead they came back and made it a real game. In a couple years we will look back at games like this that was the catylist for the Texans success.
1.) I'm tired of this 'Maybe next year' crap.

2.) Agreed

3.) Agreed.

4.) So now it is the Dline's fault? Man they played good not amazing or great but it was far from horrible and Travis Johnson stood out. I'd hardly say it was their fault, Dunta had his man covered and got beat and didn't knock it down, maybe he choked because he gave up two big pays or maybe we were playing friggin prevent.

5.) Agreed

6.) Agreed

But I am done with this "Well maybe next year we will have the pieces in place." And I wouldn't place the blame on the Dline.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007   #5
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92860 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully we didn't learn that Schaub is soft. He got wacked good by Haynesworth, but David Bust took worse about every series.

Sage looked good

Green is old
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007   #6
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

I know people will hijack this thread and be bitter and sarcastic, but we learned that our team never quits and will fight to the end. Thats the sign of a true team.
Old 10-21-2007   #7
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 87002 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Hopefully we didn't learn that Schaub is soft. He got wacked good by Haynesworth, but David Bust took worse about every series.

Sage looked good

Green is old
Sage threw 3 picks and fumbled a snap. I wouldn't call that good.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-21-2007   #8
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88 View Post
I know people will hijack this thread and be bitter and sarcastic, but we learned that our team never quits and will fight to the end. Thats the sign of a true team.
I guess, we still loss despite the effort and that is all that matters to me. When we start coming back and actually winning games then maybe i'll be thrilled. We almost came back against the Colts and the Falcons...and now the Titans, almost doesn't count.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007   #9
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92860 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon View Post
He also threw 4 tds in the 4th
Old 10-21-2007   #10
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10704 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Then came back and produced Brady-like numbers...
Old 10-21-2007   #11
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 87002 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He also threw 4 tds in the 4th
Prevent defense?

So he throws 4 TD's yet he gives the ball up 4 times. You really think that's a good game?

Garbage time numbers, like last year in TEN.
Old 10-21-2007   #12
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 52901 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

8. We are nothing without AJ.

9. I'd go with one of those 5-gallon jugs of water

10. VY has to wait until Week 14 until he is given his ass-kicking.

11. I had to save 10 for VY.

12. Yeah, maybe I shouldn't have.

10 1/2: Sage for President!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007   #13
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And what do we have to show for it? A losing record. Morale victories doesn't win championships or even gets us into the playoffs, it'll lead us back to a top ten pick. I'm sick of losing
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007   #14
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52901 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Prevent defense?

So he throws 4 TD's yet he gives the ball up 4 times. You really think that's a good game?

Garbage time numbers, like last year in TEN.
13. It's only garbage time if we don't take the lead.

Quote:
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
Old 10-21-2007   #15
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm sorry, but my sarcastic humor is the only way I know how to cope after a loss like this. I don't mean anything by it. I'm like a clown that's crying on the inside...........tomorrow I have to go accept my new avatar for the next two weeks over at the TOMB.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007   #16
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
Then came back and produced Brady-like numbers...
14. Brady produced better than Brady numbers.

Quote:
Old 10-21-2007   #17
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
14. Brady produced better than Brady numbers.
15. Stat Padding!

16. Haynesworth stole Mario and AO's HGH
Old 10-21-2007   #18
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10704 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
And what do we have to show for it? A losing record. Morale victories doesn't win championships or even gets us into the playoffs, it'll lead us back to a top ten pick. I'm sick of losing
If all we can talk about here is the end result, there's not a hold lot of stuff to discuss...

Not all things are black or white, and on these boards we like to discuss the shades of gray.
Old 10-21-2007   #19
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Sage turned the ball over when the game was close, then morphed into Montana late in the game.

However, saying he had a "good" game is ridiculous when he personally gave the ball to the Tits 4 times today with dumbass decisions.
Old 10-21-2007   #20
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Quote:
15. Stat Padding!

16. Haynesworth stole Mario and AO's HGH
17. We're the ones that are supposed to be kicking field goals to eternity.

18. They're the ones supposed to come back in the 4th.

19. We switched teams.

20. We won this game.

Quote:

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read