Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-22-2007   #41
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: Another strange presser..Mario?

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post
I remember that play...

Terrible display by Mario...

But I'm starting to think that maybe Mario is what he is.

A good player, great athlete that will make some plays and look like a beast on occasion, but will also have plays and games that dissapoint. I don't think he will be consitently terrible, but I don't know if he's capable of being consitently dominant either.
Rookies and young players hardly do deliver consistently, that is the thing.

VY has yet to do it, Reggie has yet to do it. Its rare that rookies do come in the NFL and deliver consistently, we got one (DeMeco) that pretty much does. So I don't expect consistency out of him early, and I wouldn't until his 4th season. I know for some people that sounds crazy but in most professional leagues you give a guy 3 seasons to prove himself.
As of right now he is doing okay, some games he does good and gets pressure(yet never finishes, he leaves a lot of sacks on the field and he is supposed to be fast) and some games he disappears. The same thing could be said for VY and Bush, its just when they have a bad game people say "Its okay, they'll get it." Mario doesn't seem to have that space.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #42
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
The same thing could be said for VY and Bush, its just when they have a bad game people say "Its okay, they'll get it." Mario doesn't seem to have that space.
I don't like comparing the development of RB's and QB's to D-linemen...

But VY and RB seem to have a natural ability to make plays on the football field...

Yeah they have limitations too, but they both seem to have pretty good football instincts....

I can't say that for Mario, and that is what makes me wonder about how good he'll be...

I know he'll get better..but that's not the issue...

I more concerned with how much better, because he needs to make exponential improvement to be considered an impact player...
Old 10-22-2007   #43
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
I don't like comparing the development of RB's and QB's to D-linemen...

But VY and RB seem to have a natural ability to make plays on the football field...

Yeah they have limitations too, but they both seem to have pretty good football instincts....

I can't say that for Mario, and that is what makes me wonder about how good he'll be...

I know he'll get better..but that's not the issue...

I more concerned with how much better, because he needs to make exponential improvement to be considered an impact player...

The development of a QB is quite slow, teams wait years hoping their young QB will finally have their breakout season, I know we did.

Development for a RB is quite fast, since their careers are short they usually start producing consistently their 2nd year.

DEs and DTs are around 3-4 seasons though. People will always bring up the exceptions Dwight Freeney and Peppers, but that is what they are exceptions. Also Mario has made plays they just seem to go unnoticed or forgotten next sunday it seems. Was he not the guy that caused a important fumble against the Colts, was he not the guy that took a fumble and returned it to the house, was he not the guy that tipped a potential game winning pass last year against the Fins?

My point was young player are inconsistent their first few years, some guys are fast learners and some are not. I just feel like people have a short patience with the guy.
Old 10-22-2007   #44
real

Quote:
The development of a QB is quite slow, teams wait years hoping their young QB will finally have their breakout season, I know we did.

Development for a RB is quite fast, since their careers are short they usually start producing consistently their 2nd year.

DEs and DTs are around 3-4 seasons though. People will always bring up the exceptions Dwight Freeney and Peppers, but that is what they are exceptions. Also Mario has made plays they just seem to go unnoticed or forgotten next sunday it seems. Was he not the guy that caused a important fumble against the Colts, was he not the guy that took a fumble and returned it to the house, was he not the guy that tipped a potential game winning pass last year against the Fins?

My point was young player are inconsistent their first few years, some guys are fast learners and some are not. I just feel like people have a short patience with the guy.

That really has nothing to do with looking at how a player is playing. It might take 3 years to get the desired results from a D-lineman (AKA lots of sacks), but it doesn't take long to look at a player and see a lack of football instinct...

I've really yet to see Mario make a "smart" football play...or an instinctive move....

I was happy for Mario when he recovered that fumble and all, but there was really nothing that impressive about it...He even pretty much said himself that he wasn't about to get up and run with it until Amobi told him to...soooo...I dunno...
Old 10-22-2007   #45
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Quote:
That really has nothing to do with looking at how a player is playing. It might take 3 years to get the desired results from a D-lineman (AKA lots of sacks), but it doesn't take long to look at a player and see a lack of football instinct...

I've really yet to see Mario make a "smart" football play...or an instinctive move....

I was happy for Mario when he recovered that fumble and all, but there was really nothing that impressive about it...He even pretty much said himself that he wasn't about to get up and run with it until Amobi told him to...soooo...I dunno...
Mario could get a sack and downplay, he always downplays the plays he makes because he's a humble guy.

Here's the point Mario has shown flashes, he has good games and he has made plays. Period. Nothing special about the fumble recovery yet when it happened there was something special about it, the same game he had 2 sacks and everyone was saying "Reggie Who?" when he played that game it the Dlines failures it seems.
was special then but now it is downplayed and Mario takes the blame for all the dlines failures.

My point on that is, the guy has had his moments he just needs to get consistent. And there are many guys in his draft class who have consistency problems as well.
Old 10-22-2007   #46
real

Quote:
Mario could get a sack and downplay, he always downplays the plays he makes because he's a humble guy.

Here's the point Mario has shown flashes, he has good games and he has made plays. Period. Nothing special about the fumble recovery yet when it happened there was something special about it, the same game he had 2 sacks and everyone was saying "Reggie Who?" when he played that game it the Dlines failures it seems.
was special then but now it is downplayed and Mario takes the blame for all the dlines failures.

My point on that is, the guy has had his moments he just needs to get consistent. And there are many guys in his draft class who have consistency problems as well.

I guess flashes to you are not the same as flashes to me.

I've really only seen one Mario sack that I thought he just flat out beat his man on...

I give him credit for the other sacks he's gotten, I just don't think they were all that impressive...

I guess we can just agree to disagree because I really have seen nothing from Mario--other than his size, speed and strength--that would indicate he is going to be a dominant....

I've gone back and forth with this because I have see a lot of things out of Mario that I have liked...But he lacks the one thing that I like to see out of players...especially defensive players...

That is natural instincts.

I hope Mario turns into a force, but until he does he isn't.

Old 10-22-2007   #47
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 101383 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

What I haven't seen from Mario is (even though this may not be PC - I don't care) VIOLENCE!!!!.... He should be the meanest, nastiest SOB on the field (within the rules of course)...
Old 10-22-2007   #48
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario played on bad feet all last year. It's quite possible he set some mental bad habits because of playing with bad feet that he needs to get rid of. In any case, this is his first real year to play healthy. It's almost halfway through the season and he isn't playing like a 1st round pick, but rather a lower round pick who is still learning.

He needs to pick up the pace. I still have faith in him, but he needs to start showing up to the games and playing for what he is: a top draft pick.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #49
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak actually liked the play of Mario in the presser. Says he got 7 tackles and 3 pressures. Of course he said he wanted Mario to take it to a pro bowl level.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #50
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
Kubiak actually liked the play of Mario in the presser. Says he got 7 tackles and 3 pressures. Of course he said he wanted Mario to take it to a pro bowl level.
Which is quite funny because statistically that is a good game for a DE, but some people are not going to notice it because they look at the Dline's failure and automatically put it on Mario.

Mario actually gets a lot of hurries or pressures, he just never closes in for a guy with speed he should.
Old 10-22-2007   #51
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I guess flashes to you are not the same as flashes to me.

I've really only seen one Mario sack that I thought he just flat out beat his man on...

I give him credit for the other sacks he's gotten, I just don't think they were all that impressive...

I guess we can just agree to disagree because I really have seen nothing from Mario--other than his size, speed and strength--that would indicate he is going to be a dominant....

I've gone back and forth with this because I have see a lot of things out of Mario that I have liked...But he lacks the one thing that I like to see out of players...especially defensive players...

That is natural instincts.

I hope Mario turns into a force, but until he does he isn't.
Which is exactly what can be said for most of the young players in any pro league.

Other than DeMeco Ryans, MJD, Addai...someone I am missing? Other than those guys who has proved to the league that they are a force? That is continuing their success into this season also.
Old 10-23-2007   #52
real

Quote:
Which is exactly what can be said for most of the young players in any pro league.

Other than DeMeco Ryans, MJD, Addai...someone I am missing? Other than those guys who has proved to the league that they are a force? That is continuing their success into this season also.
Manny Lawson wasn't doing too bad for himself before he got injured...

But really that is not relevant...

Mario was the number 1 Overall selcetion in a draft full of studs...

No it wasn't his fault, but that has nothing to do with my expectations of him...

Mario's "mere presence" was supposed to make other players better...I think he will be consistently good at the least...But given the circumstances I just expect so much more....

Getting stiff armed to the ground by Lindell White is under achieving expectations IMO....
Old 10-23-2007   #53
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
Asked about Mario Williams, Kubiak said: "He played pretty good yesterday; he graded out well. I think he had seven tackles. He had three quarterback pressures. We continue to try to get more out of him. I say that, and when I say what I mean is that I think for our football team to reach another level of play, he's got to continue to find another gear. Is his gear good now? Yeah, it's pretty darn good, but we need Mario to become a great, great player - a Pro Bowl player for a long, long time for our organization. So we're going to keep pushing him. Was his effort pretty good yesterday? Did he play well? Yes, he did."

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice...hange_the.html
I dunno is this really what Kubiak thinks in his heart of hearts or is it just a protective type of response to shield Mario from criticism ? The Chrons Richard Justice says that Mario is becoming a big-time jerk with the media.
Apparently he's already had too much fun with all the continuing talk about
his play ?
a.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #54
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know--a statement that he needs to get better and they are continuing to push him seems to recognize weakness. Coaches just aren't going to throw players under the bus the way fans like to.
Old 10-23-2007   #55
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79098 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

VY and RB have both stepped up in the clutch when their teams needed them, Mario has yet to do this. I would have loved a big sack to stop Collins on sunday during the last drive.

VY is established
Reggie is comming into his own and starting to be a leader
AJ Hawk is wrecking Shop
Hopefully Mario will follow
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #56
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
VY and RB have both stepped up in the clutch when their teams needed them, Mario has yet to do this. I would have loved a big sack to stop Collins on sunday during the last drive.

VY is established
Reggie is comming into his own and starting to be a leader
AJ Hawk is wrecking Shop
Hopefully Mario will follow
Of course it is very difficult for you to quantify this, that is why you have not.
Old 10-23-2007   #57
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

apple & real, you guys really need to go back and break down each play of every single game to aprreciate the job Mario has done this year.

He's our best lineman.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #58
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
He's our best lineman.

Ok ? And?

What does that do ?

You need to go back and review my post history about Mario. I've given the guy plenty of props.
Old 10-23-2007   #59
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ok ? And?

What does that do ?

You need to go back and review my post history about Mario. I've given the guy plenty of props.
It wasn't a good idea that I put your name together with Apple (no knock to apple).

I understand that you are looking at it from a totally different angle.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #60
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

it should be a given Mario attracts double teams, but largely he has been handled one on one by LT's. he plays too high & gets locked up to deep into the body where they can control him with good technique. How many holding calls has he drawn? I can't think of any, to me if he is effective then he either gets better production or causes breakdowns on the corner where the tackle is forced to hold or get help. besides his speed around the corner of his bull rush inside what moves is he developing? where is the spin move, use of hands to slap/disengage from blocker only when he gets mad does he swim or rip the players away & thats the kind of urgency I wanted from Mario in that crucial last drive, just get to Collins once & blow up his confidence. I'm not seeing it happen without saying as much I think thats excatley what Kubiak said without beign as graphic or critical of

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read