Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-22-2007   #21
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Another strange presser..Mario?

I dunno if anyone else is listening to 1560 right now, but its Granado on with his guest Kailee Wong, former Texans LB who I guess is now retired from the NFL.
But Wong made some interesting comments about Mario for those who think that he should be moved to the inside to play as a DT. He basically said we've already got two "3-technique" DTs in AO & TJ, and Mario would also be a "3-technique" DT, because he's definitely not a NT. Looks as if Maddox is the only true NT we've got.
So as we've discussed ad nauseam on this website, Mario is gonna have to be moved to his old college position, strongside DE. But what to with Weaver ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #22
gjmac2
Veteran

Rep Power: 15 gjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden cover

Weaver should be made to move to the other side. He's doing nothing on the strongside.
Old 10-22-2007   #23
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I dunno if anyone else is listening to 1560 right now, but its Granado on with his guest Kailee Wong, former Texans LB who I guess is now retired from the NFL.
But Wong made some interesting comments about Mario for those who think that he should be moved to the inside to play as a DT. He basically said we've already got two "3-technique" DTs in AO & TJ, and Mario would also be a "3-technique" DT, because he's definitely not a NT. Looks as if Maddox is the only true NT we've got.
So as we've discussed ad nauseam on this website, Mario is gonna have to be moved to his old college position, strongside DE. But what to with Weaver ?
Mario would be a better 3-4 DE than anything IMO

Pretty much we have 4 3-4 DE's starting on our D-Line right now. Hopefully we can land a big fat ass in the offseason to clog the middle.
The1ApplePie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #24
real

4 3-4 DE's ?

ummmm...no we don't....
Old 10-22-2007   #25
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post
4 3-4 DE's ?

ummmm...no we don't....
TJ
Mario
AO
Weaver

That would be 4 3-4 DEs
Old 10-22-2007   #26
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
TJ
Mario
AO
Weaver

That would be 4 3-4 DEs
Neither A.O. nor T.J are 3-4 DE's....
Old 10-22-2007   #27
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Neither A.O. nor T.J are 3-4 DE's....
TJ was

AO has the size and speed to be a 3-4 DE or a 3 tech tackle
Sponsored links
Old 10-22-2007   #28
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Neither is Mario
Old 10-22-2007   #29
real

I can give him Mario...

But T.J and Okoye...not so much...
Old 10-22-2007   #30
real

Quote:
TJ was

As you were....
Old 10-22-2007   #31
Nza
Rookie

I don't see Mario as a 3-4 DE. I think he's a 4-3 DE or maybe a 4-3 DT in the right scheme.

This isn't exactly coming out of nowhere, he had disappearing acts at NC State and padded his sack totals against some poor O's. I think he just needs to refine his game, keep motoring, and he'll be fine. What is he like 23? Could still be a rookie in some classes.
Nza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #32
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza View Post
I don't see Mario as a 3-4 DE. I think he's a 4-3 DE or maybe a 4-3 DT in the right scheme.

This isn't exactly coming out of nowhere, he had disappearing acts at NC State and padded his sack totals against some poor O's. I think he just needs to refine his game, keep motoring, and he'll be fine. What is he like 23? Could still be a rookie in some classes.
That is his biggest problem. You guys have a DE that has a amazing motor, Mario's is sometimes nonexistent. I don't know I think we need to bring in someone to light a fire under his $%&. That was his biggest issue coming out and it is still a issue. But he has youth on his side as of now, so hopefully he will get it sooner or later.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #33
real

Everyone isn't built to have a non-stop motor...

And when I say non-stop motor I don't mean quitting on plays...I just mean how quickly you process what's going on and react to it...
Old 10-22-2007   #34
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Everyone isn't built to have a non-stop motor...

And when I say non-stop motor I don't mean quitting on plays...I just mean how quickly you process what's going on and react to it...
I think he reacts well. Especially when he realizes the play is a run. His problem is pass rushing and for a guy that we got for Pass Rushing it is a big problem for him to have.

He seems to be limited in his moves, and doesn't seem to have a motor, Those are big problems for a pass rushing DE but he has youth and they can be fixed. I think he reacts well though, maybe he doesn't get off the line quick but as far as play recognition I think it is fine. If he works as hard as they say he does, he'll get it eventually.
Old 10-22-2007   #35
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
I think he reacts well.
Reacting and processing what's going on are two different things.

As a defensive player, if you want to be a stand out, you have to be able to anticipate some things. To me, this falls under processing information. Like Down and distance, a feel for the offense you're going against, a feel for the O-lineman you're going against, a feel for what the QB is doing...ect....

Sometimes as a defensive player you should be able to feel what's coming before it happens...

For instance...

Look at how many times T.J has disrupted a pass at the L.O.S.....Yes that has to do with reaction, but it's also him just processing whats going on around him and anticipating what that offense likes to do, what that QB likes to do, and what those linemen in front of him are doing...Just like when he caught that interception....

Mario seems to be a physical specimen with out much football processing ability. Doesn't mean he can't be a great player though...
Old 10-22-2007   #36
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Reacting and processing what's going on are two different things.

As a defensive player, if you want to be a stand out, you have to be able to anticipate some things. To me, this falls under processing information. Like Down and distance, a feel for the offense you're going against, a feel for the O-lineman you're going against, a feel for what the QB is doing...ect....

Sometimes as a defensive player you should be able to feel what's coming before it happens...

For instance...

Look at how many times T.J has disrupted a pass at the L.O.S.....Yes that has to do with reaction, but it's also him just processing whats going on around him and anticipating what that offense likes to do, what that QB likes to do, and what those linemen in front of him are doing...Just like when he caught that interception....

Mario seems to be a physical specimen with out much football processing ability. Doesn't mean he can't be a great player though...
I see where you are coming from and I agree. He just still has so much more to learn, he is such a project I don't expect him to start producing until next year and if he doesn't do it then, than he'll probably never will. He is still 22, has tons to learn.

We should bring in a legend DE to help him out some. I know this helps out young players like Mario who is physically gifted but technically still has a lot to learn.
Old 10-22-2007   #37
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
TJ was

TJ was out of position as a 3-4 DE. He didnt fit it. AO could be a 4-3 DE or 3 tech. Mario is a strongside DE. Its what he should play. Or a scary 3-4 OLB. That would be cool if he were a little more agile.
Old 10-22-2007   #38
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
I see where you are coming from and I agree. He just still has so much more to learn, he is such a project I don't expect him to start producing until next year and if he doesn't do it then, than he'll probably never will. He is still 22, has tons to learn.

We should bring in a legend DE to help him out some. I know this helps out young players like Mario who is physically gifted but technically still has a lot to learn.
Personally, I don't think you can teach that part of football.

I just think some players have that intangible of being able to process and anticipate while others are just reactionary.

But again....That doesn't mean Mario won't be a good player....
Old 10-22-2007   #39
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

There was one play in particular yesterday that really left me feeling disappointed in mario: the stiff-arm by Titans/former USC back LenDale White.
White is a big back, bout 240 or so, but Mario has got 40 or 50 lbs on him.
Anyway, if you saw the play you know that Mario fell by the wayside while White moved down the field a few more yards before going down after he delivered the stiff-arm.
Mario seems to be totally void of any kind of mean-streak, because usually when a back offers an NFL DLineman a stiff-arm, a bloody pulp is returned to the back, so to speak. Instead Mario goes down and White continues downfield. Very disappointing.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #40
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
There was one play in particular yesterday that really left me feeling disappointed in mario: the stiff-arm by Titans/former USC back LenDale White.
White is a big back, bout 240 or so, but Mario has got 40 or 50 lbs on him.
Anyway, if you saw the play you know that Mario fell by the wayside while White moved down the field a few more yards before going down after he delivered the stiff-arm.
Mario seems to be totally void of any kind of mean-streak, because usually when a back offers an NFL DLineman a stiff-arm, a bloody pulp is returned to the back, so to speak. Instead Mario goes down and White continues downfield. Very disappointing.
I remember that play...

Terrible display by Mario...

But I'm starting to think that maybe Mario is what he is.

A good player, great athlete that will make some plays and look like a beast on occasion, but will also have plays and games that dissapoint. I don't think he will be consitently terrible, but I don't know if he's capable of being consitently dominant either.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read