Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Another strange presser..Mario?

Maddict5

Hall of Fame
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=3806
(on if there was anything else different announced in the post-practice huddle) “No, we were just giving one player a hard time. Nothing new.”

(on if he could explain that) “No, that’s alright. Can’t give y’all that scoop. That’s privileged information.”

(on who he gave a hard time) “The day is so beautiful, y’all are even having a hard time working today. I’m telling you (laughs). Y’all enjoy your afternoon. How about that, OK? Is that alright?”

Maddict5

Hall of Fame
i lol'd at 2 things in this:

1- kubiak tells them hes not telling them who.. next q- 'who was it?'
2- kubiak's last response

Errant Hothy

Hypermediocrity
What's odd about that. The guys were giving somebody a hard time, but there is no need for that to be told to the press so Kubiak just changed the subject when the press failed to drop the issue.

Maddict5

Hall of Fame
why even bring it up? i doubt kubiak just let it slip out.. i dont know- maybe im overanalysing it but it just seems a little odd

Specnatz

Hall of Fame
why even bring it up? i doubt kubiak just let it slip out.. i dont know- maybe im overanalysing it but it just seems a little odd
Maybe he got a hold of Justices crap piece and thought it was time to dangle something then blow off the media and see how they like that.

If they keep writing crap I would just refuse to talk to them or give them any answers to anythng other than a weather report.

Maddict5

Hall of Fame
Maybe he got a hold of Justices crap piece and thought it was time to dangle something then blow off the media and see how they like that.

If they keep writing crap I would just refuse to talk to them or give them any answers to anythng other than a weather report.
lol that'd be such a cool thing to do.. so belichick-ish (i love how he pisses off the media by being so blunt yet boring)

next week he could say something like 'you know, we might be cutting one of our first rd draft picks after this next game.. we'll monitor it and il get back to you on monday':splits:

MightyTExan

It's go time!
(on if his offensive line will be the same) “Yes, everything’s the same. I had planned on suiting eight. I had planned on suiting (Kasey) Studdard, but he’s going to be out for a little while, don’t know how long. So as of right now we’ll suit our seven and do what we’ve normally been doing.”

:wacko: :shots: :cry2: :shocked

Maddict5

Hall of Fame
So where is Mario's name in all of this or is someone just trying to stir stuff up?
no not trying to stir at all, just speculating.. i like mario- just with the titans and vince and all.. and mario not playing so hot- and with it being known that mario plays better when angry, maybe thats what they were trying.. prob should've kept my mouth shut

Dallas_Texan

Waterboy
no not trying to stir at all, just speculating.. i like mario- just with the titans and vince and all.. and mario not playing so hot- and with it being known that mario plays better when angry, maybe thats what they were trying.. prob should've kept my mouth shut
I hope they do piss him off.....it's the only time he plays well!

TexansLucky13

53d Signal Batt
They were probably beating up on Salaam or Pitts.... trying to make sure they know how to block a defender without holding...

Malloy

Hall of Fame
Is that more than speculation.

A.C. Anderson... read the story about the 1 feather turning into 5 hens. It's ll explain alot about the world of media... and fandom...

Brandon420tx

Flounder
Benched the first play of the game ... hmm ... could be team policy voilation, or they just wanted to start Maddox and see if he would play with some fire...

A Texan

Waterboy
The player they were giving a hard time may have been Kevin Walter. According to a story I saw somewhere players have been kidding him about some of the coaches calling him "Walters". Somebody put an "S" after his last name on his locker and some of them were calling him "Barbara" (for Barbara Walters).

Specnatz

Hall of Fame
The player they were giving a hard time may have been Kevin Walter. According to a story I saw somewhere players have been kidding him about some of the coaches calling him "Walters". Somebody put an "S" after his last name on his locker and some of them were calling him "Barbara" (for Barbara Walters).
Sounds like half this board who couldn't get his name right to save there life.

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
I dunno if anyone else is listening to 1560 right now, but its Granado on with his guest Kailee Wong, former Texans LB who I guess is now retired from the NFL.
But Wong made some interesting comments about Mario for those who think that he should be moved to the inside to play as a DT. He basically said we've already got two "3-technique" DTs in AO & TJ, and Mario would also be a "3-technique" DT, because he's definitely not a NT. Looks as if Maddox is the only true NT we've got.
So as we've discussed ad nauseam on this website, Mario is gonna have to be moved to his old college position, strongside DE. But what to with Weaver ?

The1ApplePie

Hall of Fame
I dunno if anyone else is listening to 1560 right now, but its Granado on with his guest Kailee Wong, former Texans LB who I guess is now retired from the NFL.
But Wong made some interesting comments about Mario for those who think that he should be moved to the inside to play as a DT. He basically said we've already got two "3-technique" DTs in AO & TJ, and Mario would also be a "3-technique" DT, because he's definitely not a NT. Looks as if Maddox is the only true NT we've got.
So as we've discussed ad nauseam on this website, Mario is gonna have to be moved to his old college position, strongside DE. But what to with Weaver ?
Mario would be a better 3-4 DE than anything IMO

Pretty much we have 4 3-4 DE's starting on our D-Line right now. Hopefully we can land a big fat ass in the offseason to clog the middle.

Nza

Practice Squad
I don't see Mario as a 3-4 DE. I think he's a 4-3 DE or maybe a 4-3 DT in the right scheme.

This isn't exactly coming out of nowhere, he had disappearing acts at NC State and padded his sack totals against some poor O's. I think he just needs to refine his game, keep motoring, and he'll be fine. What is he like 23? Could still be a rookie in some classes.

Leahmic223

Veteran
I don't see Mario as a 3-4 DE. I think he's a 4-3 DE or maybe a 4-3 DT in the right scheme.

This isn't exactly coming out of nowhere, he had disappearing acts at NC State and padded his sack totals against some poor O's. I think he just needs to refine his game, keep motoring, and he'll be fine. What is he like 23? Could still be a rookie in some classes.
That is his biggest problem. You guys have a DE that has a amazing motor, Mario's is sometimes nonexistent. I don't know I think we need to bring in someone to light a fire under his $%&. That was his biggest issue coming out and it is still a issue. But he has youth on his side as of now, so hopefully he will get it sooner or later.

R

real

Everyone isn't built to have a non-stop motor...

And when I say non-stop motor I don't mean quitting on plays...I just mean how quickly you process what's going on and react to it...

Leahmic223

Veteran
Everyone isn't built to have a non-stop motor...

And when I say non-stop motor I don't mean quitting on plays...I just mean how quickly you process what's going on and react to it...
I think he reacts well. Especially when he realizes the play is a run. His problem is pass rushing and for a guy that we got for Pass Rushing it is a big problem for him to have.

He seems to be limited in his moves, and doesn't seem to have a motor, Those are big problems for a pass rushing DE but he has youth and they can be fixed. I think he reacts well though, maybe he doesn't get off the line quick but as far as play recognition I think it is fine. If he works as hard as they say he does, he'll get it eventually.

R

real

I think he reacts well.
Reacting and processing what's going on are two different things.

As a defensive player, if you want to be a stand out, you have to be able to anticipate some things. To me, this falls under processing information. Like Down and distance, a feel for the offense you're going against, a feel for the O-lineman you're going against, a feel for what the QB is doing...ect....

Sometimes as a defensive player you should be able to feel what's coming before it happens...

For instance...

Look at how many times T.J has disrupted a pass at the L.O.S.....Yes that has to do with reaction, but it's also him just processing whats going on around him and anticipating what that offense likes to do, what that QB likes to do, and what those linemen in front of him are doing...Just like when he caught that interception....

Mario seems to be a physical specimen with out much football processing ability. Doesn't mean he can't be a great player though...

Leahmic223

Veteran
Reacting and processing what's going on are two different things.

As a defensive player, if you want to be a stand out, you have to be able to anticipate some things. To me, this falls under processing information. Like Down and distance, a feel for the offense you're going against, a feel for the O-lineman you're going against, a feel for what the QB is doing...ect....

Sometimes as a defensive player you should be able to feel what's coming before it happens...

For instance...

Look at how many times T.J has disrupted a pass at the L.O.S.....Yes that has to do with reaction, but it's also him just processing whats going on around him and anticipating what that offense likes to do, what that QB likes to do, and what those linemen in front of him are doing...Just like when he caught that interception....

Mario seems to be a physical specimen with out much football processing ability. Doesn't mean he can't be a great player though...
I see where you are coming from and I agree. He just still has so much more to learn, he is such a project I don't expect him to start producing until next year and if he doesn't do it then, than he'll probably never will. He is still 22, has tons to learn.

We should bring in a legend DE to help him out some. I know this helps out young players like Mario who is physically gifted but technically still has a lot to learn.

BigBull17

Hall of Fame
TJ was

AO has the size and speed to be a 3-4 DE or a 3 tech tackle
TJ was out of position as a 3-4 DE. He didnt fit it. AO could be a 4-3 DE or 3 tech. Mario is a strongside DE. Its what he should play. Or a scary 3-4 OLB. That would be cool if he were a little more agile.

R

real

I see where you are coming from and I agree. He just still has so much more to learn, he is such a project I don't expect him to start producing until next year and if he doesn't do it then, than he'll probably never will. He is still 22, has tons to learn.

We should bring in a legend DE to help him out some. I know this helps out young players like Mario who is physically gifted but technically still has a lot to learn.
Personally, I don't think you can teach that part of football.

I just think some players have that intangible of being able to process and anticipate while others are just reactionary.

But again....That doesn't mean Mario won't be a good player....

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
There was one play in particular yesterday that really left me feeling disappointed in mario: the stiff-arm by Titans/former USC back LenDale White.
White is a big back, bout 240 or so, but Mario has got 40 or 50 lbs on him.
Anyway, if you saw the play you know that Mario fell by the wayside while White moved down the field a few more yards before going down after he delivered the stiff-arm.
Mario seems to be totally void of any kind of mean-streak, because usually when a back offers an NFL DLineman a stiff-arm, a bloody pulp is returned to the back, so to speak. Instead Mario goes down and White continues downfield. Very disappointing.

R

real

There was one play in particular yesterday that really left me feeling disappointed in mario: the stiff-arm by Titans/former USC back LenDale White.
White is a big back, bout 240 or so, but Mario has got 40 or 50 lbs on him.
Anyway, if you saw the play you know that Mario fell by the wayside while White moved down the field a few more yards before going down after he delivered the stiff-arm.
Mario seems to be totally void of any kind of mean-streak, because usually when a back offers an NFL DLineman a stiff-arm, a bloody pulp is returned to the back, so to speak. Instead Mario goes down and White continues downfield. Very disappointing.
I remember that play...

Terrible display by Mario...

But I'm starting to think that maybe Mario is what he is.

A good player, great athlete that will make some plays and look like a beast on occasion, but will also have plays and games that dissapoint. I don't think he will be consitently terrible, but I don't know if he's capable of being consitently dominant either.

Leahmic223

Veteran
I remember that play...

Terrible display by Mario...

But I'm starting to think that maybe Mario is what he is.

A good player, great athlete that will make some plays and look like a beast on occasion, but will also have plays and games that dissapoint. I don't think he will be consitently terrible, but I don't know if he's capable of being consitently dominant either.
Rookies and young players hardly do deliver consistently, that is the thing.

VY has yet to do it, Reggie has yet to do it. Its rare that rookies do come in the NFL and deliver consistently, we got one (DeMeco) that pretty much does. So I don't expect consistency out of him early, and I wouldn't until his 4th season. I know for some people that sounds crazy but in most professional leagues you give a guy 3 seasons to prove himself.
As of right now he is doing okay, some games he does good and gets pressure(yet never finishes, he leaves a lot of sacks on the field and he is supposed to be fast) and some games he disappears. The same thing could be said for VY and Bush, its just when they have a bad game people say "Its okay, they'll get it." Mario doesn't seem to have that space.

R

real

The same thing could be said for VY and Bush, its just when they have a bad game people say "Its okay, they'll get it." Mario doesn't seem to have that space.
I don't like comparing the development of RB's and QB's to D-linemen...

But VY and RB seem to have a natural ability to make plays on the football field...

Yeah they have limitations too, but they both seem to have pretty good football instincts....

I can't say that for Mario, and that is what makes me wonder about how good he'll be...

I know he'll get better..but that's not the issue...

I more concerned with how much better, because he needs to make exponential improvement to be considered an impact player...

Leahmic223

Veteran
I don't like comparing the development of RB's and QB's to D-linemen...

But VY and RB seem to have a natural ability to make plays on the football field...

Yeah they have limitations too, but they both seem to have pretty good football instincts....

I can't say that for Mario, and that is what makes me wonder about how good he'll be...

I know he'll get better..but that's not the issue...

I more concerned with how much better, because he needs to make exponential improvement to be considered an impact player...

The development of a QB is quite slow, teams wait years hoping their young QB will finally have their breakout season, I know we did.

Development for a RB is quite fast, since their careers are short they usually start producing consistently their 2nd year.

DEs and DTs are around 3-4 seasons though. People will always bring up the exceptions Dwight Freeney and Peppers, but that is what they are exceptions. Also Mario has made plays they just seem to go unnoticed or forgotten next sunday it seems. Was he not the guy that caused a important fumble against the Colts, was he not the guy that took a fumble and returned it to the house, was he not the guy that tipped a potential game winning pass last year against the Fins?

My point was young player are inconsistent their first few years, some guys are fast learners and some are not. I just feel like people have a short patience with the guy.

R

real

The development of a QB is quite slow, teams wait years hoping their young QB will finally have their breakout season, I know we did.

Development for a RB is quite fast, since their careers are short they usually start producing consistently their 2nd year.

DEs and DTs are around 3-4 seasons though. People will always bring up the exceptions Dwight Freeney and Peppers, but that is what they are exceptions. Also Mario has made plays they just seem to go unnoticed or forgotten next sunday it seems. Was he not the guy that caused a important fumble against the Colts, was he not the guy that took a fumble and returned it to the house, was he not the guy that tipped a potential game winning pass last year against the Fins?

My point was young player are inconsistent their first few years, some guys are fast learners and some are not. I just feel like people have a short patience with the guy.

That really has nothing to do with looking at how a player is playing. It might take 3 years to get the desired results from a D-lineman (AKA lots of sacks), but it doesn't take long to look at a player and see a lack of football instinct...

I've really yet to see Mario make a "smart" football play...or an instinctive move....

I was happy for Mario when he recovered that fumble and all, but there was really nothing that impressive about it...He even pretty much said himself that he wasn't about to get up and run with it until Amobi told him to...soooo...I dunno...

Leahmic223

Veteran
That really has nothing to do with looking at how a player is playing. It might take 3 years to get the desired results from a D-lineman (AKA lots of sacks), but it doesn't take long to look at a player and see a lack of football instinct...

I've really yet to see Mario make a "smart" football play...or an instinctive move....

I was happy for Mario when he recovered that fumble and all, but there was really nothing that impressive about it...He even pretty much said himself that he wasn't about to get up and run with it until Amobi told him to...soooo...I dunno...
Mario could get a sack and downplay, he always downplays the plays he makes because he's a humble guy.

Here's the point Mario has shown flashes, he has good games and he has made plays. Period. Nothing special about the fumble recovery yet when it happened there was something special about it, the same game he had 2 sacks and everyone was saying "Reggie Who?" when he played that game it the Dlines failures it seems.
was special then but now it is downplayed and Mario takes the blame for all the dlines failures.

My point on that is, the guy has had his moments he just needs to get consistent. And there are many guys in his draft class who have consistency problems as well.

R

real

Mario could get a sack and downplay, he always downplays the plays he makes because he's a humble guy.

Here's the point Mario has shown flashes, he has good games and he has made plays. Period. Nothing special about the fumble recovery yet when it happened there was something special about it, the same game he had 2 sacks and everyone was saying "Reggie Who?" when he played that game it the Dlines failures it seems.
was special then but now it is downplayed and Mario takes the blame for all the dlines failures.

My point on that is, the guy has had his moments he just needs to get consistent. And there are many guys in his draft class who have consistency problems as well.

I guess flashes to you are not the same as flashes to me.

I've really only seen one Mario sack that I thought he just flat out beat his man on...

I give him credit for the other sacks he's gotten, I just don't think they were all that impressive...

I guess we can just agree to disagree because I really have seen nothing from Mario--other than his size, speed and strength--that would indicate he is going to be a dominant....

I've gone back and forth with this because I have see a lot of things out of Mario that I have liked...But he lacks the one thing that I like to see out of players...especially defensive players...

That is natural instincts.

I hope Mario turns into a force, but until he does he isn't.

:d:

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
What I haven't seen from Mario is (even though this may not be PC - I don't care) VIOLENCE!!!!.... He should be the meanest, nastiest SOB on the field (within the rules of course)...

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Mario played on bad feet all last year. It's quite possible he set some mental bad habits because of playing with bad feet that he needs to get rid of. In any case, this is his first real year to play healthy. It's almost halfway through the season and he isn't playing like a 1st round pick, but rather a lower round pick who is still learning.

He needs to pick up the pace. I still have faith in him, but he needs to start showing up to the games and playing for what he is: a top draft pick.

dtran04

Veteran
Kubiak actually liked the play of Mario in the presser. Says he got 7 tackles and 3 pressures. Of course he said he wanted Mario to take it to a pro bowl level.

Leahmic223

Veteran
Kubiak actually liked the play of Mario in the presser. Says he got 7 tackles and 3 pressures. Of course he said he wanted Mario to take it to a pro bowl level.
Which is quite funny because statistically that is a good game for a DE, but some people are not going to notice it because they look at the Dline's failure and automatically put it on Mario.

Mario actually gets a lot of hurries or pressures, he just never closes in for a guy with speed he should.