Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-18-2007   #41
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 413 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why some people don't like Kevin Walter

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post
If your mother accidentally spills some juice on your rug are you going to fuss and complain, and ***** and moan ?

Sometimes it's good to appreciate the overall body of work and don't sweat the small stuff...

You're sweating the small stuff kido...relaxx.....
I happen to think Schaub is a great QB and the answer for this team, I just think he can get better. But.... ok, I'll stop criticizing him, Schaub is god. Everything he does is fantastic. Where's the kool aid?
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007   #42
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142677 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
I happen to think Schaub is a great QB and the answer for this team, I just think he can get better. But.... ok, I'll stop criticizing him, Schaub is god. Everything he does is fantastic. Where's the kool aid?
Let's say I criticize you because you only put one space between a period and the first letter of the next sentence. That would be really dumb, wouldn't it? (EDIT: Especially because it looks like the display is automatically killing the second space. )

Schaub is not God. Schaub makes plenty of mistakes. There are lots of things that you can criticize him for... pocket presence isn't really one of those things. You could say that he underthrows some deep balls. That he isn't as accurate on the deep balls as he could be. That sometimes he seems to throw off his back foot and from odd angles. That he's been able to move the ball between the 20's but he hasn't been able to put the ball in the end zone. That he makes a couple of bonehead plays every game.

But pocket presence? I don't see his pocket presence as anything close to being a problem. I'm not even going to get onto him for ball security in that instance because I think he was about the pull the ball back to throw it. I have a problem with ball security when a QB is running around with the ball in one hand when they're NOT going to throw, but if they're about to throw and they get hit, the ball has to be in one hand so I'm not going to worry about that.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007   #43
real

Quote:

What you write does have a tone, and the tone of your writing is coming off as more bitchy-moany rather than constructive criticism...

We know that is something he needs to work on...We know that those are things he shouldn't have done...

It would be like constantly harping on your mother for spilling that juice on your rug...

Sometimes a simple "uuuggghhh" is enough....
Old 10-18-2007   #44
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 413 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Let's say I criticize you because you only put one space between a period and the first letter of the next sentence. That would be really dumb, wouldn't it? (EDIT: Especially because it looks like the display is automatically killing the second space. )

Schaub is not God. Schaub makes plenty of mistakes. There are lots of things that you can criticize him for... pocket presence isn't really one of those things. You could say that he underthrows some deep balls. That he isn't as accurate on the deep balls as he could be. That sometimes he seems to throw off his back foot and from odd angles. That he's been able to move the ball between the 20's but he hasn't been able to put the ball in the end zone. That he makes a couple of bonehead plays every game.

But pocket presence? I don't see his pocket presence as anything close to being a problem. I'm not even going to get onto him for ball security in that instance because I think he was about the pull the ball back to throw it. I have a problem with ball security when a QB is running around with the ball in one hand when they're NOT going to throw, but if they're about to throw and they get hit, the ball has to be in one hand so I'm not going to worry about that.
Fair enough, his red zone performance and fumbling were just the two issues that jumped to my mind. There are bigger issues as you pointed out to complain about. Turn over's just stick in my mind because they cause such drastic changes in momentum.
Old 10-18-2007   #45
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
We just went from one of the most awful QB's in the NFL with the least amount of pocket presence to a guy who is probably top 5 when it comes to getting that ball out of his hands...you guys really are nitpicking this way too much. Schaub really avoided several sacks Sunday and gets that ball out in a hurry...you just aren't going to be able to look good 100% of the time if your team can't run the ball. The Titans have nothing but praise for his pocket awareness.
I can't add much to this or to what others said below

As far as Walters, I think with AJ not coming back anytime soon....well it looks like that could be the case...he could really be an every week 6-8 catch guy if he plays like last week and works the middle and the sidelines.
Old 10-18-2007   #46
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142677 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Fair enough, his red zone performance and fumbling were just the two issues that jumped to my mind. There are bigger issues as you pointed out to complain about. Turn over's just stick in my mind because they cause such drastic changes in momentum.
That particular turnover was really painful but I consider it an example of the defense just making a good play. Last year, when DC fumbled and it was returned for a TD (against the Raiders and against the Titans), it was a different situation I think. He was just running with the ball in one hand in one situation and wasn't really looking to throw and he was hit and the ball came out. The other time, iirc, he was looking down the field with the ball in one hand and it got stripped out. Those are examples of bad, bad fumbles.

I'm more concerned with Andre Davis' fumble. If he had the ball secure OR he was actively reaching it out across the goal line, we have a TD there instead of them having the ball on the 20 and beginning the time killing drive that sucked the life out of us. Also, the ball getting away from Davis on that "interception" was very irritating. He's been playing really well and made some amazing plays but those two plays seem like a lack of concentration.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007   #47
Fox
All Pro

No doubt AD's fumble into the end zone was probably the most frustrating play of the day for me. Almost as frustrating as when Gaffney inexplicably fumbled the ball into the end zone without even having a defender touch him. I really don't like that rule, maybe it's sour grapes but I would like the offense to retain the ball, lose the down, and get the ball on the 5 or something rather than give it away. Fumbles in the red zone can be, in effect, a 14 point swing because you go from being potentially being 7 up to 7 behind if they capitalize on the turn over and score a TD, huge game changers.

Walter's been very steady and just what this offense needs with AJ down. I think his lack of speed is evident when he runs reverses, but he's got enough speed to get behind a defense and if Schaub puts more on some of those balls so Walter doesn't have to wait on them then he goes for TD's instead of 30 yards.
Sponsored links
Old 10-18-2007   #48
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

I love Schaub
I love Walter (though I wasn't very high on him after last year but that was with a total scrub throwing him the rock)
I hate haters
Old 10-18-2007   #49
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post
a'davis' fumble in the endzone might be something i never let go. maybe i will, but i doubt it...holding the ball out like that makes it so unsecured that i'm sure i could strip him, or my sister, or baby infant jesus could...that's just...dumb.

getting the ball manhandled out of your grasp doesn't sit well with me either, although i thought he was clearly down as he had possession, a knee down, and contact from a defender. but, twas an interception.
He is a young player and he made a mistake, I bet he does not make it again though.
Old 10-18-2007   #50
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
He is a young player and he made a mistake, I bet he does not make it again though.
Don't kid yourself...he will keep making mistakes...they all do. The great ones make plays to overcome their mistakes.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007   #51
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post
a'davis' fumble in the endzone might be something i never let go. maybe i will, but i doubt it...holding the ball out like that makes it so unsecured that i'm sure i could strip him, or my sister, or baby infant jesus could...that's just...dumb.

getting the ball manhandled out of your grasp doesn't sit well with me either, although i thought he was clearly down as he had possession, a knee down, and contact from a defender. but, twas an interception.
I'm there with you. That is a tide-turner and pretty much changes the way the Jags had to play offense. They are on their heals to they really can play their own brand of ball. Its frustrating because from the one and a guy persuing you can wrap both arms around it and fall forward and make it. It was simply dumb.
Old 10-18-2007   #52
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Don't kid yourself...he will keep making mistakes...they all do. The great ones make plays to overcome their mistakes.
Exactly!

Will MS be able to overcome not only his mistakes, but those of others on the team as well, that is the question.

As Kubiak said, with Matt, they are trying to work with him to become better than just an average QB.

IMO, MS is on schedule as far as the learning curve.
He's not ahead, he's not behind.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007   #53
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Exactly!

Will MS be able to overcome not only his mistakes, but those of others on the team as well, that is the question.

As Kubiak said, with Matt, they are trying to work with him to become better than just an average QB.

IMO, MS is on schedule as far as the learning curve.
He's not ahead, he's not behind.
We would be 1-5 without Schaub. He lead us to a come from behind victory over the Panthers, he was moving the team between the 20's and giving us a shot to beat the Dolphins when we had zero skill guys healthy besides him. Without that last min drive from the 3 yard line in a critical situation we don't win that game. That was something Carr could not do...when we needed a big drive it was always 3 and out. When we needed a garbage time TD it was a 5 yard dinkfest against prevent defenses till we scored with Carr. Schaub avoided at least 4 drive killing sacks last Sunday with his pocket awareness and feel for the game.

Old 10-18-2007   #54
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I do not understand your point in the last post, Vinny.
Old 10-18-2007   #55
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I do not understand your point in the last post, Vinny.
I'm elaborating on your point...if he was not playing up to expectations we would be 1-5. I can't see victories in those two games with our old QB at the helm. I think most of us who are reasonable expect him to improve as he gains experience...but so far he has been a breath of fresh air.

Old 10-18-2007   #56
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm elaborating on your point...if he was not playing up to expectations we would be 1-5. I can't see victories in those two games with our old QB at the helm. I think most of us who are reasonable expect him to improve as he gains experience...but so far he has been a breath of fresh air.
Agree! We can all use some fresh air!

But honestly, I don't know what record we would have if Carr is still here.
Probably best that I don't think about it, LOL!
Old 10-18-2007   #57
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We just went from one of the most awful QB's in the NFL with the least amount of pocket presence to a guy who is probably top 5 when it comes to getting that ball out of his hands...you guys really are nitpicking this way too much. Schaub really avoided several sacks Sunday and gets that ball out in a hurry...you just aren't going to be able to look good 100% of the time if your team can't run the ball. The Titans have nothing but praise for his pocket awareness.
Good point. Schaub wasnt the only QB to give up a fumble Sunday. Anyone know who it was?
Old 10-18-2007   #58
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 71966 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Good point. Schaub wasnt the only QB to give up a fumble Sunday. Anyone know who it was?
Culpepper
Old 10-18-2007   #59
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12640 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post

Brady
Old 10-18-2007   #60
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo View Post
Brady
Who was also sacked 3 times, too, IIRC.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read