Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-16-2007   #1
zcity
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 zcity was voted MVPzcity was voted MVPzcity was voted MVP
Default Studdard Thread Rewind

Not to toot my own Horn . . . . . . but - here is my prediction about Studdard from after preseason game #2 - 8/19/07

Studdard WILL NOT CAVE IN AT THE GOAL Line like pitts did on schaub's sneak attempt in the spread.

He takes this thing Personally - I am fired up that they are going to give this kid a chance !!!!!

http://texanstalk.com/forums/showthr...light=studdard

OLD THREAD STARTS HERE:

Kasey Studdard - Yesterday

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Am I the only one who was watching this guy yesterday ?

This guy CAN PLAY !!!!!

He was busting open holes for Lundy and Gado.

He was pulling and blowing out 2 guys at a time.

He was (and this was most suprprising) impressive in pass protection - on one play in particular - he got beat on an outside stunt but had the mobility to recover an make a saving block for Sage. He also made some great decisions on blitz pick up.

On one play where his man made the tackle it was after he punched his man back a few yards and the tackle was made after a 5 yard pick up on the ground.

This guy is going to push Chester !!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by zcity : 08-19-2007 at 11:38 AM.
zcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #2
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 13945 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Studdard Thread Rewind

I wonder if he can play center.
Old 10-16-2007   #3
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Almost all of us on this MB who posts anything regarding Studdard like him.

How good he can become, remains to be seen.
Fact is we lost McKinney, and therefore we need at least a backup at C and/or G.

Between Chris White and Kasey, at least one guy needs to emerge. They are being given the chance here.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #4
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

So if you're not tooting your own horn what exactly is this?

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #5
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
So if you're not tooting your own horn what exactly is this?
LOL!
Old 10-16-2007   #6
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Studdard is the back-up for Pitts right? I don't get why we just don't put Pitts at LT and let Studdard play LG. Salaam is playing horrible football right now, hes Victor Riley V.2. Pitts isn't doing all that great at LG this year either. Last time Pitts played at LT he was doing pretty well, maybe hes more comfortable at that position.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #7
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
Studdard is the back-up for Pitts right? I don't get why we just don't put Pitts at LT and let Studdard play LG. Salaam is playing horrible football right now, hes Victor Riley V.2. Pitts isn't doing all that great at LG this year either. Last time Pitts played at LT he was doing pretty well, maybe hes more comfortable at that position.
In my opinion the weak link is center not LT. What we need to do is stick Weary at Center(a position he played in college) have White back him and put Studdard at RG.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-16-2007   #8
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I mean how much worse can Pitts be at LT, because Salaam may get Schaub hurt if Schaub keeps talking hits like he does from his blindside. We knew Carr was a tough fellow, but I don't even want to test Schaubs toughness any longer.

Pitts just doesn't look comfortable at LG this year and Salaam should be covering Schaubs medical insurance the way he's playing.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Perhaps one of the reason Kubiak doesn't seem to be looking for Pitts at LT, where he played in 02 and 03 (I think he started all or most of the games there).

02: 15.5 sacks allowed, 9 penalties (incl. 5 holds)
03: 5.75 sacks allowed, 17 penalties (incl. 7 holds)
Old 10-17-2007   #10
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I think Pitts is having enough trouble holding the fort as LG to merit moving him to a position with more responsibility (LT).

Back on topic: Studdard Rules.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post
yea but chester hands over penalties at LG too...so...may as well have a guy who seems to be doing well out there too...

personally i'd rather see winston at LT than pitts...
I do, too.
Winston at LT (even though we haven't seen him going a whole lot against speedier and/or quicker guys) but he seems to be very smart and has good technique.
Jordan Black at RT (where he played better and more often with the Chiefs).

But I think Kubiak is pretty set in his way, expecting Spencer to be back next year; and therefore, he doesn't want to ruin a good thing with Winston already doing quite well at RT. JMO.

And so, we will probably see Black at LT sometimes as in the last game.

Long term, we can always hope that Rashad Butler develops enough to rejoin his old Hurricane teammate Winston as our bookends. Afterall, the Panthers did draft him at #89 last year.
Old 10-17-2007   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Studdard is well liked in these circles because he went to UT and his father was a buddy of Kubiaks in Denver. I get all of that.
But it takes us back to the basic issue of Kubiaks offensive system featuring ZB vs. OC Shermans system which features more power oriented blocking schemes. We've got a thread elsewhere which discusses at length this approach of trying to combine 2 such different systems which have a basic conflict in that certain players aren't suited to play both systems. Case in point is Studdard, who I understand has never been described as an athletic type as OLineman go, and therefor puts the lineup at a serious disadvantage when running ZB schemes.
So unless Studdard miraculously developed some quickness & footspeed since
coming to Houston and heretofor unseen, I still question the wisdom of drafting him & trying to develope him in a system that will probably soon disappear from the Texans offensive repertoire with the likelihood of the OC leaving soon for greener pastures ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007   #13
zcity
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
I wonder if he can play center.
No, this guy is a guard - He is nasty - I want him pulling and blowing up guys.

He will beat his man when he HAS to. On those plays where the line must have a push - He will beat his man consistently.

I think Chester may be the guy on the bench. Salaam has heart !! He will stay on.

Kubes should make one move at a time in hopes of motivating Falanagan - If he doesn't get it together - He'll be next.
Old 10-17-2007   #14
zcity
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Studdard is well liked in these circles because he went to UT and his father was a buddy of Kubiaks in Denver. I get all of that.
But it takes us back to the basic issue of Kubiaks offensive system featuring ZB vs. OC Shermans system which features more power oriented blocking schemes. We've got a thread elsewhere which discusses at length this approach of trying to combine 2 such different systems which have a basic conflict in that certain players aren't suited to play both systems. Case in point is Studdard, who I understand has never been described as an athletic type as OLineman go, and therefor puts the lineup at a serious disadvantage when running ZB schemes.
So unless Studdard miraculously developed some quickness & footspeed since
coming to Houston and heretofor unseen, I still question the wisdom of drafting him & trying to develope him in a system that will probably soon disappear from the Texans offensive repertoire with the likelihood of the OC leaving soon for greener pastures ?

This is NOT about Texas or the Kube's Family connection - This is about watching him in the preseason (albeit mostly against 2nd stringers) absolutely standing out in the ZB schemes. He makes up for pure athleticism with determination, grit and that nasy attitude. In watching the film - He does not stop pounding until after the whistle blows. He is always looking to finish off his man or find someone else to block.

Believe me - the only reason Kubes probably hasn't put him in thus far is he wanted to be EXTRA sure that he was ready to play so that the nepotism issue wouldn't come back and bit him in the arse.
Old 10-17-2007   #15
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcity View Post
This is NOT about Texas or the Kube's Family connection - This is about watching him in the preseason (albeit mostly against 2nd stringers) absolutely standing out in the ZB schemes. He makes up for pure athleticism with determination, grit and that nasy attitude. In watching the film - He does not stop pounding until after the whistle blows. He is always looking to finish off his man or find someone else to block.
Believe me - the only reason Kubes probably hasn't put him in thus far is he wanted to be EXTRA sure that he was ready to play so that the nepotism issue wouldn't come back and bit him in the arse.
I'm sorry, but this is like saying Kevin Walters can make up for his lack of sprinters speed by being able to stretch the field as a real flyer at WR can
because of his sheer grit, his determination, his aggressiveness, etc.
Sounds good and while these guys may be popular with the locals and the coachs, Walters & Studdard are what they are. End of story.
Old 10-17-2007   #16
zcity
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I'm sorry, but this is like saying Kevin Walters can make up for his lack of sprinters speed by being able to stretch the field as a real flyer at WR can
because of his sheer grit, his determination, his aggressiveness, etc.
Sounds good and while these guys may be popular with the locals and the coachs, Walters & Studdard are what they are. End of story.
We'll see how the story ends.

Hopefully it will be after 15 years as a starter on the Texans O Line.

The Walters, Studdard analogy is . . . uh - not so good.

Comparing apple to oranges. Walters needing speed to break free from coverage does not equate to the trenches at OG. You can make up for "measurables" with determination at OG - not to mention MLB - go ask Zach Thomas (5th rounder)
Old 10-17-2007   #17
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcity View Post
We'll see how the story ends.

Hopefully it will be after 15 years as a starter on the Texans O Line.

The Walters, Studdard analogy is . . . uh - not so good.

Comparing apple to oranges. Walters needing speed to break free from coverage does not equate to the trenches at OG. You can make up for "measurables" with determination at OG - not to mention MLB - go ask Zach Thomas (5th rounder)
If we operate a predominantly power or man blocking scheme (whatever language you choose to use) and not ZB, I'm all for Studdard being in the lineup and on the field for the Texans. Otherwise it's a mismatch, apples and oranges as you say.
Old 10-17-2007   #18
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
In my opinion the weak link is center not LT. What we need to do is stick Weary at Center(a position he played in college) have White back him and put Studdard at RG.
I wouldnt be suprised in the least to see this coming. Fact is, with Franagin, we have looked 10 times worse as an oline than with Mckinie. I can see that coming. Or Pitts at RG and Studdard at LG. Either way, no Flanagen
Old 10-17-2007   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
I wouldnt be suprised in the least to see this coming. Fact is, with Franagin, we have looked 10 times worse as an oline than with Mckinie. I can see that coming. Or Pitts at RG and Studdard at LG. Either way, no Flanagen
I wouldn't be surprised either, but that is if only if Studdard play really well in practice and in whatever limited amount he has on the field to win the coaches over.

But I also don't see that Flanagan is so bad.
When I reviewed all the game film, it was each and everybody who contributes to a mistake here and there. The whole line, the TEs, the FB, and the RB.

Kubiak probably doesn't want to see personnel change at two positions at once during the season, unless it's a wash.
Old 10-17-2007   #20
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

"Just when the Texans were about to give rookie guard Kasey Studdard a chance, he had to leave practice early with some kind of leg injury. It's not believed to be serious, but if it limits his practice time much this week, he may not be in the mix Sunday against the Titans."

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice...ripped_fr.html

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read