Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-16-2007   #1
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3753 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default WTF..Super Bowl Overseas??

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- A future Super Bowl champion may someday be crowned overseas in a game witnessed predominantly by a foreign audience, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said.

"There's a great deal of interest in holding a Super Bowl in London," Goodell told reporters Monday. "So we'll be looking at that."

The commissioner said London's new Wembley Stadium would make a great candidate for pro football's biggest matchup, given the enthusiasm overseas for the game.

The NFL has been expanding its overseas presence for years by televising games around the world. It's held preseason games in numerous countries in Europe, Asia, Mexico and Canada, and in 2005, the Arizona Cardinals and San Francisco 49ers played the first regular-season match outside the United States.

The game at Azteca Stadium in Mexico City drew the league's largest crowd to date, 103,467.

On Oct. 28, Wembley will host the first regular-season NFL game outside North America. It took just 90 minutes to sell the first 40,000 tickets for the game between the Miami Dolphins and New York Giants. Goodell said event organizers have sold 95,000 tickets in all.

Goodell spoke about the possibility of a British Super Bowl after a luncheon Monday in Scottsdale sponsored by the host committee for the 2008 Super Bowl in Arizona.

I don't know what Goodell is thinking with entertaining this.....What time would the game overseas be played in order to show it at prime time here, 2-3am...I am sure the players wouldn't much go for that idea or the players union. Hope he's just entertaining the idea....
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #2
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 62 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: WTF..Super Bowl Overseas??

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie View Post
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- A future Super Bowl champion may someday be crowned overseas in a game witnessed predominantly by a foreign audience, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said.

"There's a great deal of interest in holding a Super Bowl in London," Goodell told reporters Monday. "So we'll be looking at that."

The commissioner said London's new Wembley Stadium would make a great candidate for pro football's biggest matchup, given the enthusiasm overseas for the game.

The NFL has been expanding its overseas presence for years by televising games around the world. It's held preseason games in numerous countries in Europe, Asia, Mexico and Canada, and in 2005, the Arizona Cardinals and San Francisco 49ers played the first regular-season match outside the United States.

The game at Azteca Stadium in Mexico City drew the league's largest crowd to date, 103,467.

On Oct. 28, Wembley will host the first regular-season NFL game outside North America. It took just 90 minutes to sell the first 40,000 tickets for the game between the Miami Dolphins and New York Giants. Goodell said event organizers have sold 95,000 tickets in all.

Goodell spoke about the possibility of a British Super Bowl after a luncheon Monday in Scottsdale sponsored by the host committee for the 2008 Super Bowl in Arizona.

I don't know what Goodell is thinking with entertaining this.....What time would the game overseas be played in order to show it at prime time here, 2-3am...I am sure the players wouldn't much go for that idea or the players union. Hope he's just entertaining the idea....
Last time I checked, we had the NATIONAL Football League, not the International Football League.
This stuff just ticks me off. Keep our game AT HOME. Geez.
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #3
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57741 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILO_girl View Post
Last time I checked, we had the NATIONAL Football League, not the International Football League.
This stuff just ticks me off. Keep our game AT HOME. Geez.
Its all about the $$$$$$
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #4
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

wow roger you really are running the NFL into the ground.... WE WANT PAULY BACK... lol
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #5
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

It wouldn't bother me at all. It's not like I'm going to be able to afford tickets. As long as I still get the game on HD I'm happy

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #6
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

This commish doesn't seem to have the first clue what NFL fans want. That's not good because traditionally the owners really don't understand their fans (anybody else memorize the lyrics to the new Texans fight song? Didn't think so) and the commish tends to keep things realistic and/or guide them in the right direction. Rozelle was brilliant, Tagliabue knew enough to not undo what Rozelle had done. Goodell seems to want to put his mark on the sport somehow.

I don't give a crap about games in Mexico or Canada and I don't want to watch a Super Bowl in London. I don't want the offense (and eventually the defense) to all have radios in their helmets either and I don't want them to add a 17th game.

They put a Super Bowl in London and the fans need to make sure it's the lowest rated Super Bowl in twenty or thirty years. I'm not watching it even if it's the Texans vs the Cowboys and we're favored by 4 touchdowns.
Old 10-16-2007   #7
texanskan
Veteran

Section: 115 Row H
Rep Power: 611 texanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to texanskan

Quote:

Not sure how you figure it would be at 2am, the super bowl is at 5:20pm central time so that is 11:20 in the UK all they would need to do is move it up 2-3 hours that one time and things would be fine.

I would like to live in Greece one day so I'm all for the NFL expanding in Europe so that I can get that Sunday ticket one of these days.

On another note, I spent a lot of time in Europe last summer and other than Germany and the UK people just don't like/understand the NFL so I see what the comish is thinking about.

Plus London>>>>Glendale-Arlington-J-Ville-Indy or any other crappy super bowl town you might get stuck with

"You either got a jump shot or you slang crack rock"
texanskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-16-2007   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109114 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Normal fans don't get to go to the games anyway...unless they win some lottery give away or have the connections to the many corporations that have the seating rights, or pay some ticket agency a kagillion bucks for a seat (normal fans don't generally have a kagillion bucks so that may just be moot). Even when the game was in Houston I don't think many Houstonians went to the game...not sure it makes a difference where that game is played. It has always traditionally had the least football-savvy audience of all the playoff games and the least amount of real fans attending a championship game among the top sporting events. Every other top sport has real fans at their championship game. The NFL has fallen in love with the corporate buck.

hobie...we like to have link with our cutnpastes...thanks.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #9
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3753 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Normal fans don't get to go to the games anyway...unless they win some lottery give away or have the connections to the many corporations that have the seating rights, or pay some ticket agency a kagillion bucks for a seat (normal fans don't generally have a kagillion bucks so that may just be moot). Even when the game was in Houston I don't think many Houstonians went to the game...not sure it makes a difference where that game is played. It has always traditionally had the least football-savvy audience of all the big sports championship games. Every other top sport has real fans at their championship game. The NFL has fallen in love with the corporate buck.
You would be correct. When they had all the parties downtown leading up to the SB, I spoke with alot of people who had both Carolina and NE gear on and I asked where they were from..I honestly cannot recall if anyone was from the cities participating, but I do know 1 guy said he won a lottery of sorts and he was a NFC fan so thats why he was wearing the Panthers gear.
That's the thing with the major sports not the NFL, when the home team wins, the home team fans can be a part of that, home crowd advantage, and all of that that goes along with it, NHL, MLB, NBA,. Then again, it's a best of 7 so that's a reason. When there is 1 game and you gotta pick the venue in advance, that's the reason the teams playing doesnt have thier home teams fans there. They need to pony up for the playoff games at higher prices, that when the SB comes around, and after the holidays at that, who has 2k left over to watch 1 game....
Old 10-16-2007   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109114 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's the thing with the major sports not the NFL, when the home team wins, the home team fans can be a part of that, home crowd advantage, and all of that that goes along with it, NHL, MLB, NBA,. Then again, it's a best of 7 so that's a reason. When there is 1 game and you gotta pick the venue in advance, that's the reason the teams playing doesnt have thier home teams fans there. They need to pony up for the playoff games at higher prices, that when the SB comes around, and after the holidays at that, who has 2k left over to watch 1 game....
yep, the conference championship is for the fans...the Super Bowl is for the Corporations.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #11
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

But the Superbowl does so much for the cities they are being held in. It's not that the fans really get to go to it but all those people that come in and have to stay in hotels, rent cars, eat at restaurants, etc... The Superbowl brings in a lot of money for that city for a week or so.

While I think London would be cool and all, I'd rather keep it in the US and have the attendees pay Americans $$ than a US city lose out on that revenue/taxes and give it over sees.

So this NYG vs. Miami game in london coming up....since the players are earning their money over sees- is this one games income non taxable? just something I thought was curious.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #12
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Just like I thought..Roger Godell is the Anti-Christ. The day they do this is the day I sell my seats and walk away from the NFL. It is the American Home fans that has made the NFL what it is today. I think Roger Godell is blowing smoke. Has anyone here ever been to London in February? We won't have a superbowl in NYC in Feb because of the weather and London is further north and a very wet that time of year. I vote to suspend Roger Godell until he comes back to his senses.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #13
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

MJD at the DeBriefing has this to say:

Quote:
So, Roger Goodell mentioned yesterday that he'd certainly entertain the notion of the Super Bowl being played overseas ... in fact, he's not just entertaining the notion, he says he has a "great deal of interest" in it.

London -- specifically the new Wembley Stadium - was mentioned as a possible destination for the game. And if it doesn't make sense to you that the NFL would play an entire season, and suck billions of dollars out of fans in this country, and then take the biggest, most important, showcase game of the year in front of a country that's bored by the sport ... well, you just haven't been paying attention to how Super Bowls work.

The Super Bowl is the one game of the year that is not staged for NFL fans. It's staged for people who aren't NFL fans ... because the NFL would like to convert them into NFL fans. And for this reason, the NFL does everything they can, with musical acts and all sorts of other bells and whistles, to make the telecast appeal to people who otherwise wouldn't care.

And if these things happen to annoy you as someone who watches the NFL every single week ... well, Roger Goodell doesn't really care. He knows you're coming back.

For these reasons, this doesn't surprise me in the least ... I'd actually be more surprised if it didn't happen over the next 10 years.
Full article here
Old 10-16-2007   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 213437 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Even though we fans are priced out of the game, the experience was a blast. I went to quite a few parties, in addition to the NFL Experience that the league put together at the convention center (it had a lot of Hall of Fame memorabilia in it, too). It would be a shame for fans to lose this opportunity because the NFL is only focussed on the bottom line.

They are slowly taking fans out of the sport. Exporting games, increasing ticket prices, taking out homefield advantage, talk of pay-per-view playoff games, exporting the Super Bowl...I guess the only thing left to export will be the fan base. I hate to say it, but I can see a point where the big business of the league gets in the way of enjoying the game and I start watching high school games to see the passion of the sport again.
Old 10-16-2007   #15
Farough
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 879 Farough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Farough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
But the Superbowl does so much for the cities they are being held in. It's not that the fans really get to go to it but all those people that come in and have to stay in hotels, rent cars, eat at restaurants, etc... The Superbowl brings in a lot of money for that city for a week or so.

While I think London would be cool and all, I'd rather keep it in the US and have the attendees pay Americans $$ than a US city lose out on that revenue/taxes and give it over sees.

So this NYG vs. Miami game in london coming up....since the players are earning their money over sees- is this one games income non taxable? just something I thought was curious.
I'm pretty sure that if you are a United States resident that your world wide income in taxable in the states. That is how it works in Canada and I really can't see it being much different from here since the tax acts are both very similar.
Old 10-16-2007   #16
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 21318 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farough View Post
I'm pretty sure that if you are a United States resident that your world wide income in taxable in the states. That is how it works in Canada and I really can't see it being much different from here since the tax acts are both very similar.
It's the same for Americans. My parents have spent a good chunk of their lives, as have I, overseas and I promise you there income is taxable by the IRS regardless if they are working for an American company or not.

Now there are certain tax breaks that you get while living overseas.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #17
hobie
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Even though we fans are priced out of the game, the experience was a blast. I went to quite a few parties, in addition to the NFL Experience that the league put together at the convention center (it had a lot of Hall of Fame memorabilia in it, too). It would be a shame for fans to lose this opportunity because the NFL is only focussed on the bottom line.

They are slowly taking fans out of the sport. Exporting games, increasing ticket prices, taking out homefield advantage, talk of pay-per-view playoff games, exporting the Super Bowl...I guess the only thing left to export will be the fan base. I hate to say it, but I can see a point where the big business of the league gets in the way of enjoying the game and I start watching high school games to see the passion of the sport again.
In a way the NFL network is also a pay per view..Case at hand, when the Texans play Denver on Dec. 13th. , that game is a NFL network game, and if you don't have that service, well you won't be watching it..So paying for that channel is like a pay per view..
Old 10-16-2007   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 213437 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In a way the NFL network is also a pay per view..Case at hand, when the Texans play Denver on Dec. 13th. , that game is a NFL network game, and if you don't have that service, well you won't be watching it..So paying for that channel is like a pay per view..
Well, to be fair, the NFL Network is trying to be on basic cable packages line ESPN.

You cannot watch Monday Night Football without paying for ESPN, so it's pretty much the same thing.

The pay-per-view I was talking about would be for single events, like boxing and UFC does. You'd have to pay X amount of $ to see a given game. USA Today had a big article on it a few weeks ago. It depressed me to see the direction the league is taking, because they have little regard for the little guy these days.
Old 10-16-2007   #19
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 21318 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Well, to be fair, the NFL Network is trying to be on basic cable packages line ESPN.

You cannot watch Monday Night Football without paying for ESPN, so it's pretty much the same thing.

The pay-per-view I was talking about would be for single events, like boxing and UFC does. You'd have to pay X amount of $ to see a given game. USA Today had a big article on it a few weeks ago. It depressed me to see the direction the league is taking, because they have little regard for the little guy these days.
And certain UT football games.

I think that if the NFL does go pay-per-view we will a) see the rise in the number and quality of sport's bars, and b) it will be the start of teh NFl's decline as America's favorite sport.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #20
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

They would have to pay the taxes under American tax laws. For one, most of them make too much money to be exempt and secondly, they have to be out of the country for something like 300 plus days to get any tax exemption.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read