Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-16-2007   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Draft a RB thread

Do you feel RB is highly rated now on the Texans draft board? Would Kubiak spend a #1 on a RB even if he was not the bpa because of need? Here's a prospect out of Oregon people have been asking about name of Jonathan Stewart, here is his school profile-

http://goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?...&Q_SEASON=2007

If you were the GM/Coach of the Texans would you use the #1 pick in 08 (assuming he declares early) on this RB or other available around the middle of the first?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft a RB thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post
early on i see it as a bpa pick as long as bpa is an o'line, linebacker, rb, or a safety.
what about CB or DE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post
i'd like to see a good rb on the texans next year. ahman is ahman, he'll get some yards but he just isn't a gamebreaker anymore. a rb to learn the skills and switch out with ahman would make our offense that much deadlier...maybe even deadly in the red zone...
I agree

but what specific skill set is missing from the Texans backfield? or is it heart, determination, intangibles? It seems for the running game to be successful the backs need to be more explosive hitting the holes, decisive in lane recognition & do a better job of keeping balance by using footwork/body lean to pick up extra yardage. instead of 2 yards on 1st & 10 they need to get 3 1/2 yards hitting the hole quicker with more determination will net you that, right now we don't have a back who can do that.

now how do you rate that as a need, or prioitize the rb position on this team with all the other needs? I guess thats why Rick Smith gets paid the big bucks & I'm confident he'll make the right assessment. This is just my humble opinion & beleive me its changed cause I was not on the RB bandwagon as a primary need (even though I'm on record last draft saying if Adrian Peterson somehow slipped to the Texans I would take him, but thats more a case of bpa) but the best way to take the heat off Schaub & the OL is to be able to run the ball effectively. upgrading the Center position with McKinney gone is also critical to the running game, if there is a stud Center available in the first round I'd take him & address RB via free agency (I've noticed you can't aquire really good Centers in FA but you can get RB's).

back to RB prospects this kid from Washington/Oregon is flying under the radar because of the system he plays in, with his strength, size & explosive speed Jonathan Stewart would certainly upgrade the position. of course I also want S Kenny Phillips, OT Ryan Clady, DE Derrick Harvey, CB Reggie Smith, LB James Laurinaitis ........LOL

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-16-2007   #3
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34025 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Jonathan Stewart is the guy I want (not surprising since I've been saying since April), unless somehow we wind up in a position to get MacFadden; and I don't think he is flying under anybody's radar. While Oregon has certain ly moved to a spread offense, Stewart had a great yeart last year in a more convetional offense.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #4
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
what about CB or DE?

I agree

but what specific skill set is missing from the Texans backfield? or is it heart, determination, intangibles? It seems for the running game to be successful the backs need to be more explosive hitting the holes, decisive in lane recognition & do a better job of keeping balance by using footwork/body lean to pick up extra yardage. instead of 2 yards on 1st & 10 they need to get 3 1/2 yards hitting the hole quicker with more determination will net you that, right now we don't have a back who can do that.

now how do you rate that as a need, or prioitize the rb position on this team with all the other needs? I guess thats why Rick Smith gets paid the big bucks & I'm confident he'll make the right assessment. This is just my humble opinion & beleive me its changed cause I was not on the RB bandwagon as a primary need (even though I'm on record last draft saying if Adrian Peterson somehow slipped to the Texans I would take him, but thats more a case of bpa) but the best way to take the heat off Schaub & the OL is to be able to run the ball effectively. upgrading the Center position with McKinney gone is also critical to the running game, if there is a stud Center available in the first round I'd take him & address RB via free agency (I've noticed you can't aquire really good Centers in FA but you can get RB's).

back to RB prospects this kid from Washington/Oregon is flying under the radar because of the system he plays in, with his strength, size & explosive speed Jonathan Stewart would certainly upgrade the position. of course I also want S Kenny Phillips, OT Ryan Clady, DE Derrick Harvey, CB Reggie Smith, LB James Laurinaitis ........LOL
Love that wish list by the way, but would you leave Smith at CB? He seems to fit more into a FS role in the NFL to me right now.

On the topic of RB's, we just need a legit back. We don't need anymore steamrollers. We need a guy who can hit the right hole and make something happen. We need a RB that a LB can't chase down from behind. We need a true RB. I called before the season I wasn't expecting much out of Green, but honestly, he surprised me pre-injury. Regardless, he isn't our answer. I'm really high on Felix Jones out of Arkansas, but he may chose to stay for a better spot...though it's not like playing without McFadden and at Arkansas is going to help his chances of more money. I am not high on Slaton. I'm undecided on Stewart right now. I might look at someone like Mike Hart on the second day too.
Old 10-16-2007   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Love that wish list by the way, but would you leave Smith at CB? He seems to fit more into a FS role in the NFL to me right now.

On the topic of RB's, we just need a legit back. We don't need anymore steamrollers. We need a guy who can hit the right hole and make something happen. We need a RB that a LB can't chase down from behind. We need a true RB. I called before the season I wasn't expecting much out of Green, but honestly, he surprised me pre-injury. Regardless, he isn't our answer. I'm really high on Felix Jones out of Arkansas, but he may chose to stay for a better spot...though it's not like playing without McFadden and at Arkansas is going to help his chances of more money. I am not high on Slaton. I'm undecided on Stewart right now. I might look at someone like Mike Hart on the second day too.
he has the size & some saftey experience already so FS might very well become his natural position in the NFL.

I've been very frustrated this year trying to catch Oregon/Jonathan Stewart, Dish has changed regions on me for some reason (I will make a call) so I've missed watching games, I think thats a problem for alot of us when it comes to a prospect out of area that makes it hard to eval

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-16-2007   #6
Farough
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 880 Farough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Farough

I've said that he's the running back that we need since last years draft on the other board. He would be an upgrade to our backs and learn a great deal about playing in the NFL behind Amhan Green for the first few years.
Old 10-16-2007   #7
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

The problem is, we have 1 1st rounder, no 2nds, and 1 3rd rounder.

We REALLY need secondary help. Our defense is worse than our offense at this point. In order of needs, I'd say, assuming Fred Bennet becomes our #2 CB:

FS
LT
RB
C

And we only have 2 first day picks for those
Old 10-16-2007   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

There is not a doubt in my mind that Gary Kubiak would draft a RB in the first round if he thought that he needed one. Why this belief persists that Kubiak would never do this I cannot begin to understand.

He tried to do it in his first draft as Texans coach when he attempted to trade back up into the first round to get DeAngelo Williams. He failed and nobody is upset that we got DeMeco Ryans instead but there it is, he tried to do it.

The first round we'll look at positions of need and take the highest rated guy among those players or among all positions if a highly rated player outside of our "most needed" spots happen to fall to us - with very few exceptions. I expect we'd pass on QB, DE/DT, TE, possibly WR.
Old 10-16-2007   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
The problem is, we have 1 1st rounder, no 2nds, and 1 3rd rounder.

We REALLY need secondary help. Our defense is worse than our offense at this point. In order of needs, I'd say, assuming Fred Bennet becomes our #2 CB:

FS
LT
RB
C

And we only have 2 first day picks for those
your right thats not alot to work with, lets slot our 3rd rd. pick on a Center. that leaves one pick between RB, LT & CB/FS. LT is gonna be real hard to address via FA or costly in a trade. top tier CB's are just plain expensive, do we even have salary cap room? would you be happy if the Texans/Kubiak continue to run out RB's by committe & pass on a true franchise back?

here is hoping, no praying Spencer can return that would solve our LT position. that Bennett does in fact continue to develop alongside fellow gamecock Dunta Robinson w/Von Hutchins (2nd on team in tackles) @ FS.

not bad, well not as grievous to me as our RB situation. without a running game the Texans will continue to struggle in the red zone, at least until Andre comes back. the Texans say they are committed to running the ball, listening to Kubiak yesterday he remains very positive about Ahman Green & that he is now 100% healthy, I hope he's right...we'll see but maybe its time to invest a #1 pick on a RB http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-16-2007   #10
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73103 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post

I dont see Hart falling to day 2.

He's not physically imposing, he's not incredibly fast, but he never fumbles & he just gets it done.

You cant put a price on intangibles & Hart leads the pack in that area, guaranteed.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #11
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Jonathan Stewart looks like a beast and if we select him in the first I wouldn't be upset one bit.

However, I'm not so sure we would select him strictly out of need. FS (Reggie Smith?), LT (Barry Richardson?), OLB (Dan Connor?) are other potential needs that could be BPA. It depends how the Texans grade these players, well and others, and who's available. If they think a FS or a OLB is a better pick than Stewart...I don't think they'd go with the RB.

I'm just very upset with our OL right now and think we gotta strengthen that. If Spencer doesn't come back and take over the LT position- we're screwed next season. Plain and simple...if spencer can't do it... our passing game and running game will not be very good even with Green & Stewart combination.

Could be a good year to trade down and pick up extra pick(s), and just select a real quality player. Trade farther down in the first and grab a 2nd or 3rd rder...and take the BPA at that point.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #12
real

I think in the first we need to take BPA from the following positions:

FS
CB
RB
OLB
LT
C

Taking a look at how things are shaping up I'm thinking the best players on the board will be either a RB, OLB and maybe a top ranked LT will slip a bit.

I'd take the OLB. Then I'd try to trade a 3rd and a 5th for a mid second rounder or something, and pick up the best RB available....That way I'd have Green, and that RB then I'd let Chris Taylor, Gado, Dayne, and Walker battle for the last 1 or two spots.

I'm not thinking we are not going to take a LT this next year because Kubiak sounded pretty confident Spencer would be back. Plus we signed Rashaard Butler...and we have Frye on the PS...Plus we still have Salaam and Black...I dunno, but for some reason I think the Texans are comfortable with what they have there...

But of course this is October. I could be wrong.

Last edited by real; 10-16-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-16-2007   #13
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post

FS
CB
RB
OLB
LT
C

Taking a look at how things are shaping up I'm thinking the best players on the board will be either a RB, OLB and maybe a top ranked LT will slip a bit.

I'd take the OLB. Then I'd try to trade a 3rd and a 5th for a mid second rounder or something, and pick up the best RB available....That way I'd have Green, and that RB then I'd let Chris Taylor, Gado, Dayne, and Walker battle for the last 1 or two spots.

I'm not thinking we are going to take a LT this next year because Kubiak sounded pretty confident Spencer would be back. Plus we signed Rashaard Butler...and we have Frye on the PS...Plus we still have Salaam and Black...I dunno, but for some reason I think the Texans are comfortable with what they have there...

I actually agree for the most part. I'm not really keen on giving up the picks for a RB, but we almost need to it seems. I'm really in favor of opening the wallet for a FA CB. I actually think the FO is comfortable with the OT's we have, and I am really in favor of letting Winston have a shot at LT when Spencer either fails to make it back or fails to be what everyone wants. We need a true C, but we can't really afford one honestly. We need so much help, but a 6th round project C isn't going to work for us.
Old 10-16-2007   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:

FS
CB
RB
OLB
LT
C

I'm not thinking we are going to take a LT this next year because Kubiak sounded pretty confident Spencer would be back. Plus we signed Rashaard Butler...and we have Frye on the PS...Plus we still have Salaam and Black...I dunno, but for some reason I think the Texans are comfortable with what they have there...

you bring up two good points-
Quote:
unless there is a LT on the rise (last year Joe Staley) or a FS/CB who slips I think your right.

Quote:
it says they know they got a problem & have thrown everything but the kitchen sink (1st rd. pick) to solve it.

& theres one thing that supports the Texans addressing the offense first this year because the last FOUR DRAFTS the Texans have used their #1 pick on defense. hence by process of elimination its a RB that helps Schaub, the offensive line & helps reduce the defense time on the field.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-16-2007   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

enough opinion before leaving for work I'm going to do some research comparing the bpa with where the RB's where selected according to OURLADS over the past three drafts-

9.59 (rated #1) Ronnie Brown - selected #2
9.49 (rated #6) Carnell Williams - selected #5
9.39 (rated #9) Cedric Benson - selected #4
4.99 (rated 172) Frank Gore - selected #65

9.65 (rated #1) Reggie Bush - selected #2
9.44 (rated #10) Lendale White - selected #45
9.40 (rated #14) DeAngelo Williams - selected #27
9.38 (rated #16) Laurence Maroney - selected #21
8.69 (rated #53) Joseph Addai - selected #30
6.94 (rated #99) Maurice Drew - selected 60

9.59 (rated #3) Adrian Peterson - selected #7
9.24 (rated #15) Marshawn Lynch - selected #12

summary

one. even the best draft service is not perfect
two. teams have a better idea who fits their system
three. teams do draft RB based on need, regardless of rating

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-16-2007   #16
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
enough opinion before leaving for work I'm going to do some research comparing the bpa with where the RB's where selected according to OURLADS over the past three drafts-

9.59 (rated #1) Ronnie Brown - selected #2
9.49 (rated #6) Carnell Williams - selected #5
9.39 (rated #9) Cedric Benson - selected #4
4.99 (rated 172) Frank Gore - selected #65

9.65 (rated #1) Reggie Bush - selected #2
9.44 (rated #10) Lendale White - selected #45
9.40 (rated #14) DeAngelo Williams - selected #27
9.38 (rated #16) Laurence Maroney - selected #21
8.69 (rated #53) Joseph Addai - selected #30
6.94 (rated #99) Maurice Drew - selected 60

9.59 (rated #3) Adrian Peterson - selected #7
9.24 (rated #15) Marshawn Lynch - selected #12

summary

one. even the best draft service is not perfect
two. teams have a better idea who fits their system
four. 2006 was an insane year for running backs
Old 10-16-2007   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How are you differentiating drafting on need v. a team having a much different evaluation of who was bpa?
Old 10-17-2007   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
How are you differentiating drafting on need v. a team having a much different evaluation of who was bpa?
standard deviation +/- from general consensus value to actual real value of the pick. Bush & Peterson would be BPA (-) both drafted lower than rated while Joseph Addai & Maruice Drew (+) taken higher than projected.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-17-2007   #19
real

How do you know where that team actually had said player ranked on their draft board ?

BPA to one team may not be BPA to another team...?
Old 10-17-2007   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
standard deviation +/- from general consensus value to actual real value of the pick. Bush & Peterson would be BPA (-) both drafted lower than rated while Joseph Addai & Maruice Drew (+) taken higher than projected.
Quote:
How do you know where that team actually had said player ranked on their draft board ?

BPA to one team may not be BPA to another team...?
That's what I was getting at. The fact that Addai was taken higher than draftniks projected (i.e. depending on the draftnik something between throwing a dart at the wall and an educated guess) says nothing about the Colts' draft board. They may have had him ranked even higher than where they took him and in their minds were getting a draft steal on value rather than pushing a need. A Texans' example may be DeMeco Ryans who they had ranked as a mid-late 1st rounder who they didn't expect to be there but many draft sites had going lower than where we took him.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read