Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-15-2007   #41
Hutch13
List of demands

Rep Power: 13 Hutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Hutch13
Default Re: It's the RUNNING BACK, STUPID.

Hmmm what about trying to get Chester Taylor as our running back for the remainder of the season, at the right price.
Hutch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #42
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93773 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

The alternative, one AJ is back... is to pass to set up the run. Its unorthadox but we need to get MS outside the pocket more. One of the things I've noticed is that he can throw the ball outside of the pocket. If you move him around and move the launch point around, you can spread the defense and have more success running the ball up the middle.

We kind of did that early in the game this week. We actually averaged 4.25 yards a carry in the first half and like 2.8 in the second. This isn't including qb scrambles or that reverse we used to set up the PA later in the game. Its just rb's running the ball.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #43
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I'm afraid it will be another tough test for the offense. How will we account for their 2 DEs & Haynesworth?

Moving MS outside the pocket?
That sounds a bit scary.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #44
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Tell me your names of all these backs better than Green, and what price you are willing to pay after Game 6 of the season to get a back who hasn't practiced with you.
I don't know the names. Maybe you do. Tatum Bell, people say, would be available for a 5th or 6th round choice. If that's so, it's a steal. Maybe he's not great but he's better than what we got, though maybe Green's just as good, only not as fresh. But Green's going to get hurt again in a game or two and we'll be back to Dayne and Gado. YOu think that's a good idea?

I mean, you're the hero writer, you probably know a half-dozen backs available for a fairly low price. I'm not saying give up a first day pick (unless, of course, we could get Turner), I'm saying get somebody, anybody, with a little speed and some possibility of spelling Green effectively.

Why is this controversial?
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #45
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No, the Texans don't run the ZBS the way that Denver does. Sherman would get pissed last year if anyone suggested that we ran what Denver runs or that the Texans were running pure ZB.

We run a power/ZB blend because that is what Sherman does. We don't have Alex Gibbs or any of the ZBS disciples coaching our Oline. And this year the Texans increased the amount of power blocking that was done compared to last year. If anything, the team is going the direction of less zone blocking.
I am probably wrong on this, but. There are two schools of thought on ZBS. There is the old school Jimmy Johnson Dallas Cowboy version, the Power Zone. In it you use big guys that block and area, it has been around a long time. (BTW TC knows this but many do not, ZBS only refers to the run blocking). The big guys are also usually good pass blockers due to there size. This is the type blocking system Sherman employs.

Along comes Alex Gibbs and he makes an adjustment to the run game. Go smaller quicker guys, use misdirection, and chop blocking to create backside lanes. The problem with the smaller linemen is they are not as good at pass blocking in the traditional way. Their offense needs play action and role outs to keep the QB alive. Denver is not a good come from behind team, and that is not only because of the lose of Elway.

Kubiak was trained to get an early lead by using play action and role outs to get that 1st half lead, and then going into run the ball to shorten the game mode. The Denver air helps with the wearing down of opponents, BTW Atlanta is the second highest elevation in the league at 1050. The smaller, adjusted to the elevation guys are able to establish the 2nd half running game, and wear the other team out.

IMO you can run both types of running games with the correct guys. Flanagan is not able to run black anymore, and the OC does not want to tell his former college player that. When McKinney was in there (and this kills me to admit) the running game looked good. Without him... Also when did the run game start to click last year? When McKinney took over the center position. He along with Weary and Pitts are an athletic middle with size and strength, that can run both types of ZBS systems.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #46
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82056 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
What's controversial, is that you seem to think that there is someone out there that's better, that's not already playing for another team.

Why is that so difficult for you to comprehend?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #47
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 132729 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't know the names. Maybe you do. Tatum Bell, people say, would be available for a 5th or 6th round choice. If that's so, it's a steal. Maybe he's not great but he's better than what we got, though maybe Green's just as good, only not as fresh. But Green's going to get hurt again in a game or two and we'll be back to Dayne and Gado. YOu think that's a good idea?
Bell is not the answer. Though quick as he may be; fumbles are his best friend.

It seems we have two major issues - an OL that now can't run block (the one thing we had been able to do in years past) and RB's that are either starting the twilight of their career (Green) and/or just plain horrible (Dayne).

IMO finding a decent, not spectacular, RB would seem to be easier than getting the OL issues, personnel and scheme, straightened out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-16-2007   #48
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
Salaam is a starter because injury made it a necessity.
There were other options available immediately when Spencer went down. It was not a necessity that swing tackle Salaam be the starter for a year going on two.
Old 10-16-2007   #49
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected

The problem with our running game is simple. It doesn't matter if we are zone blocking, power blocking or girl scout blocking, it all comes down to execution on Sunday.

If the eleven guys on the field do not execute their assignments as practiced to perfection, then it doesn't work. Simple.

If they can execute the play in practice, they should be able to do it on Sunday. In the running game, they are not.

Now, let the dogpile commence.........

"Genius since 1952"
prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #50
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I mean, you're the hero writer, you probably know a half-dozen backs available for a fairly low price. I'm not saying give up a first day pick (unless, of course, we could get Turner), I'm saying get somebody, anybody, with a little speed and some possibility of spelling Green effectively.

A hero writer? Yeah, my superpower is BS detecting.

I'm just a fan. There's no running backs out there that I think are worth giving up much for. But then again, I am open minded and willing to persuaded. So that's why I asked you who this running back savior would be in week 7.

But if you are bringing in a back this late, one who hasn't practiced with the team, it's hard to think of them making much of an impact, especially with the Texans run blocking and scheme.
Old 10-16-2007   #51
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4662 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

I say we give up all of our draft picks next year for the Diet Pepsi machine. He could play offensive line and be a running back. He out ran Reggie Bush in the commercial LOL.
Old 10-16-2007   #52
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
There were other options available immediately when Spencer went down. It was not a necessity that swing tackle Salaam be the starter for a year going on two.
Completely agree with that.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #53
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I say we go to Costco and pick us up a spare running back. As I said last week, I saw a big muscular guy there who looked pretty fast. You need to pay with cash, check or Amex to shop there, and you also need a membership card.

Tell me your names of all these backs better than Green, and what price you are willing to pay after Game 6 of the season to get a back who hasn't practiced with you.

Personally, I think there are some fundamental issues that the Texans have with their run game other than just the backs. I don't buy the backs, the offensive line, the scheme, or the play calling. I have never been convinced that the Kubiak passing game can work along with the Sherman run game. Show me which regular season game the Texans have had where they work together.
WOW! TC ..... I sense a surprising amount of frustration from you. Remember, back in the offseason (when everyone was calling Rick Smith a genius with his acquisitions) I was commenting that all Rick Smith was doing was signing FA's that nobody else wanted. That's what he should be doing in his sleep. Genius would have been signing one of the high profile FA's when our cap is strapped or making a blockbuster deal. Everything else is just a normal day at the office. I also said that signing below average FA's wasn't going to improve this team ..... just give us more depth of below average talent. I also harped frequently that they needed to be addressing the oline and that Jordon Black WAS NOT a solution. Teams just do not allow quality LT's to walk away like the Chiefs did.

I still believe the team is better overall than last year but we, as fans, need to manage our expectations of this team. We just don't have the talent to be REAL playoff contenders yet.
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #54
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

It's as if everybody expected Ahman to come back on his first week and have a 100+ yarder against one of the stoutest run-defenses in the league. He had a bad day, but I wasn't expecting gems Sunday. He'll do better next week. If he doesn't fair better before the bye-week, the Texans should start to wonder why they are still putting money into his game.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #55
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 259612 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm still coming to terms with how truly spoiled we were with Bruce Mathews, Mike Munchak, and Dean Steinkuhler. I just always expected the offensive line to work because it always did.

When Spencer "comes back" he won't have played a down of football in almost two years. Even with as much potential as the man has/had I still can't imagine this turning out good.

We need a LT badly and I guess this makes the 6th year in a row we've said that.
Old 10-16-2007   #56
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61481 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Funny...someone emailed me today and asked me what I thought of the team at this juncture and I made an analogy of combining a Chinese buffet with a Mexican restaurant as I mentioned the Sherman man blocking scheme with Kubiak's zone blocking scheme. Two very popular kinds of food but an awful combination.
You've just crushed my dream of opening the El Ranchero China House buffet and exotic boot emporium. My signature dish was going to be sweet and sour Fajitas with Egg Drop Refried Beans on the side. You sure know how to steal a man's dreams don't you.
Old 10-16-2007   #57
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
El Ranchero China House buffet and exotic boot emporium. My signature dish was going to be sweet and sour Fajitas with Egg Drop Refried Beans on the side.
I'm in...

Signed,
Ron Dayne
Old 10-16-2007   #58
Exithios
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Exithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post
WOW! TC ..... I sense a surprising amount of frustration from you. Remember, back in the offseason (when everyone was calling Rick Smith a genius with his acquisitions) I was commenting that all Rick Smith was doing was signing FA's that nobody else wanted. That's what he should be doing in his sleep. Genius would have been signing one of the high profile FA's when our cap is strapped or making a blockbuster deal. Everything else is just a normal day at the office. I also said that signing below average FA's wasn't going to improve this team ..... just give us more depth of below average talent. I also harped frequently that they needed to be addressing the oline and that Jordon Black WAS NOT a solution. Teams just do not allow quality LT's to walk away like the Chiefs did.

I still believe the team is better overall than last year but we, as fans, need to manage our expectations of this team. We just don't have the talent to be REAL playoff contenders yet.
Now that I am thining with a clear head, I agree with what you are saying.

Depth is the building block for future success and I believe Rick Smith has set us up for long term success. I will not label him our saviour but spending what little money we had in the offseason on 2 high profile players would have prolonged our misery and left us on the bottom end of the mediocrity ranks. Next year we "should" be a playoff contender and the following year we can turn our attention to the big game.

I have said alot of stupid and redundant things during this frustrating 4 game stretch but facts are facts and there isn't enough whool to hide it.

My biggest frustration so far has been our depth at running back. Ahman is a big factor when he is healthy but when injured Dayne nor Gado can carry the load well enough to keep us sane.

Are there running backs in FA that are better than Ahman? No, probably not.

Are there running backs on the market better than Dayne and Gado? Every day and twice on Sunday.

My $0.02
Exithios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #59
3andOUT
Rookie

Quote:
Jeeze. Ahman Green is not going to get it done. He's a good stopgap. Trade for somebody, anybody, tonight. Give away what needs to be given away. If there is a high potential guy available, take a risk.

We have got to have a running back NOW.

Yeah, I know. Best receiver out, 2nd receiver out, other people out, QB "dinged," blah blah.

Comes down to whether you're willing to pay the price to win. If you are, get on the phone and get a RB in here tomorrow.

If you're not, piddle along.

Winning teams are aggressive on and off the field.
You are wrong. It's not Ahman, it's the line. Go back and watch the game again, the line got absolutely no push and created no holes. Ahman can't hit what's not there. McKinney's season ending injury has really hurt the run-blocking and look to see C. White and K. Studdard getting more time (chron.com).

We are going to be in for a long long day on Sunday. Tennessee's front 7 is possibly the best in football. They need to fix whatever is wrong with the line (flanagan)
3andOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #60
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exithios View Post

I have said alot of stupid and redundant things during this frustrating 4 game stretch....
don't feel like the lone ranger. Herv and I was talking about why we should avoid posting on game day...its a day of the spewage.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read