Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-15-2007   #41
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Remember what I said at the beginning of the year

Great post, Mike. You read my genius mind. Even Kub admitted at the start of the season that we would not be playoff team this year and I think the early success had a lot of people thinking that we were better than we were. If we have a good draft, stay healthy, and make some quality FA pickups, then 2008 should be a great year.

"Genius since 1952"
prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #42
BeerTastesLikeVictory
Custom Title

Rep Power: 40940 BeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
Totally agree with both posts. We finally have a competitive team, and although they got whipped yesterday, this is still the best team we've had to date. I really thought myself, that they would beat the Jags and be 4-2, but Jax was a lot more prepared and physical for this game. Maybe the wake-up call Jax got from Tennessee will work for us too, after allowing over 200 yards rushing on us.
Speaking of the Rushing yards allowed, is it just me or did anyone else notice (if you were watching on TV) that the announcers were praising the defense by said we were knocking on the door of being top 10. That was I think (would have to rewatch to be sure) during the 3rd and 17 when MJD broke loose on the screen pass. It was all down hill after that. It was the announcers and refs that threw the Kybosh on that game.

*Sig by False Start*
"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
-David Daye
BeerTastesLikeVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #43
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 111406 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Guys one of the things I was trying to say with this whole thread... is that we are a young team... we have a chance to win every week... but we also have a chance to lose... I know you can say that with any team... but with young teams you can go out and blow the doors off an opponent favored by 14 one week and then lose to someone you're favored by 7 against the next week.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #44
bigfan77801
Plebian

Rep Power: 376 bigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respected

Remember, as I said in a previous post and thread: this is the 2nd season under Smithiak, it is going to take some time.
Old 10-16-2007   #45
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

If we look at the Titans line-up, I think they might be younger than us!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #46
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
I didn't say don't root for them. There is however, noting wrong with acknowlidging the fact that they have limitations to what they can do.

Mike

We are painfully aware of the limitations of this team. That is not the point. This is about next week, the next game. We are in this race up until we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. I'll talk about next year in the off-season.

And you are right, we should be better next year, but this week it's time to take care of the "flaming thumbtack children of Uranus"!

I'm not ready to throw in the towel.
Old 10-16-2007   #47
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 111406 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
We are painfully aware of the limitations of this team. That is not the point. This is about next week, the next game. We are in this race up until we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. I'll talk about next year in the off-season.

And you are right, we should be better next year, but this week it's time to take care of the "flaming thumbtack children of Uranus"!

I'm not ready to throw in the towel.

That was the point. People wern't acknowledging the limitations early on. I was just pointing out that this team is about what we thought they were. Better in WR's obviously.. but outside of that... this is what we expected. Don't be distraught or upset over it. This is part of a team growing up.

Mike

Sponsored links
Old 10-16-2007   #48
real

Quote:
That was the point. People wern't acknowledging the limitations early on. I was just pointing out that this team is about what we thought they were. Better in WR's obviously.. but outside of that... this is what we expected. Don't be distraught or upset over it. This is part of a team growing up.

Mike
I don't think your point has been proven...

We've played more good football this year than we've played bad football...
Old 10-16-2007   #49
3andOUT
Rookie

Quote:
This guys, is not our year. This is a nice product, but its still in beta so to speak. Lets not forget we have a boatload of money to spend next year. Next year we can adress most of the weaknesses we have on this team all in one offseason. When I said this was a sub .500 team, this is what I was talking about. The good news is that this team is on the rise.

Remember what this team is.

1. Schaub is going to take time. For a guy that has started 7 NFL games, he is ahead of the curve. He has great pocket presence, he has great leadership qualities. He has a live arm and throws a catchable ball. The things he needs to work on are correctable with alot of work. And if there's one thing you hear about him, he's willing to do that work.

2. This Oline is a work in progress. Between Pitt and Indy there should be some very good quality linemen coming out to the market this year. Faneca will probably be let go. We should be able to find a center.

3. The DBs need help: Was there anybody that thought that Petey was the answer? Nobody thought that the Safety positions were in the hands of the future of the organization did they?

4. We have an older RB who is going to get hurt. Can we say Mike Turner people? We are past the trade deadline. We will need to answer the RB question permeantly next year, without using a high draft pick. I don't think Duckett is the answer in free agency. There just aren't that many answers to be honest. But we knew all of this when we signed Green. He's not the RB of the future.

5. This is a young team learning to win. As sick as sunday's game was, it is part of the process. The ref's sucked. We're going to get those games sometimes and you have to find a way to win in this league. Look at how long it took the Colts to go from talented to SB champs. I had a coach who used to point to the opposition when we lost. He would tell us to look at that and remember it. Next time it will feel better when you're doing it if you appreciate what defeat tastes like. This is all part of the process folks. Hold on this is going to be a fun ride.

Mike
Nice, intelligent post man! I agree with you. Everyone jumped the gun a little at 2-0 but that's only natural when you've been following a slow horse for the past 5 years. All I ask for is improvement. I want to see each guy playing better and better as the season goes on. I want to see us eliminate bone-head mistakes and ridiculous penalites and I want to see us take care of the ball.

As far as officiating goes, we got the short end Sunday and it wasn't the first nor will it be the last time. The refs were NOT the reason we lost though. We had a chance to go up 10-0 and put the Jags on their heels but we didn't take care of the football. That is just one instance of us shooting ourselves (6-7 times) in the foot. We didn't play well enough to win and didn't deserve to win a division game on the road.

This isn't September anymore, good teams are kicking it in gear this time of year and we have a lot of holes. Just keep getting better Texans
3andOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #50
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post
I don't think your point has been proven...

We've played more good football this year than we've played bad football...
My point was when we're good... we can be really good... but everyone knows that... but when we're bad... we're really really bad. Have we really played more good football than bad? Atlanta, Miami,Jags... all bad KC and Carolina were good wins and Indy we played poorly and then good.... Sounds like a fair mix to me.

Mike

Old 10-16-2007   #51
real

Quote:
My point was when we're good... we can be really good... but everyone knows that... but when we're bad... we're really really bad. Have we really played more good football than bad? Atlanta, Miami,Jags... all bad KC and Carolina were good wins and Indy we played poorly and then good.... Sounds like a fair mix to me.

Mike
Yes...

I think we have seen more good football than bad football from this team...

If it were the other way around I doubt you'd have waited til the end of week six to start this thread...
Old 10-16-2007   #52
frequentfliertx
Rookie

Rep Power: 12 frequentfliertx is on the Pro-Bowl ballotfrequentfliertx is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I don't know. Losing to lowly Atlanta. Barely beating Miami (THANK YOU, KRIS BROWN! You're a godsend!) And getting ass-whooped against Jacksonville. I see this team as being mediocre at best. They can't be struggling against teams like these! I predict an 8-8 finish.
frequentfliertx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #53
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post
Yes...

I think we have seen more good football than bad football from this team...

If it were the other way around I doubt you'd have waited til the end of week six to start this thread...
I'm not sure what exactly you are saying. We've certainly seen more good than in the past... but this thread was meant to remind us what this team is. That this time there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Mike

Last edited by Texanmike02; 10-16-2007 at 09:56 PM. Reason: corrected
Old 10-16-2007   #54
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sure Mike has been consistent.
Personally, I've stated in pre-season that I expect this team to be competitive.
And with normal wear and tear, there's no excuse not to get to 8-8.
But 9-7 is more along the line that I always believe we can achieve.

Conference split 3-3 and 6-4 give and take.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #55
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I'm sure Mike has been consistent.
Personally, I've stated in pre-season that I expect this team to be competitive.
And with normal wear and tear, there's no excuse not to get to 8-8.
But 9-7 is more along the line that I always believe we can achieve.

Conference split 3-3 and 6-4 give and take.
I've tried to be.. but it really doesn't have much to do with the thread... its more about the fact that we all knew limitations of the team.. we've seen we were right for the most part... and that there is no need to panic

Mike

Old 10-17-2007   #56
Ells1626
TenderoftheBar

Quote:
Just my opinion, but there doesn't seem to be a marquee name available at CB. I think you absolutely have to go DB in the first round, no second rounder and the 3rd will either be OLB, OL or DB. I think this year we're fortunate that between FA and the draft, we should be able to fill most of your holes.

Mike
I agree with you analysis on the draft, but who do you want to target in the offseason? I think we all know your love for Michael Turner, but I think depending on if Ahman Green stays healthy the remainder of the year, then we will keep him for another year and draft a running back in the third. Then are future will be whomever we draft and Chris Taylor at running back and address some other needs in the offseason. Granted this all depends on if Ahman can stay healthy.
Old 10-18-2007   #57
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ells1626 View Post
I agree with you analysis on the draft, but who do you want to target in the offseason? I think we all know your love for Michael Turner, but I think depending on if Ahman Green stays healthy the remainder of the year, then we will keep him for another year and draft a running back in the third. Then are future will be whomever we draft and Chris Taylor at running back and address some other needs in the offseason. Granted this all depends on if Ahman can stay healthy.
IMHO, even if Green stays healthy this year, you now know that he's one year older and more likely to be injured again. I think the focus this year was getting ready for next year.. and I want to start that run with a guy I can count on.

Mike

Old 10-19-2007   #58
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think the focus this year was getting ready for next year..
Mike

I see, that's why AJ's not playing, so he can be ready for next season.

Maybe they should sit Schaub more so he will be healthy next year.

You know DeMeco needs a little rest.........
Old 10-19-2007   #59
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Agreed... Look, when Indy fans look at their schedule and figure on 12 or 13 wins, they consider at Jacksonville as one of the losses. So far we've lost the two games we all expected to, one we shouldn't have, and won everything else. It still appears we will win between 8-10 games this year.

What we've learned since preseason:

1. We have a very good NFL QB, for sure!
2. Okoye looks like the real deal.
3. our WR depth is much better than anyone thought
4. Rick Smith knows how to draft
5. Travis Johnson isn't a complete bust.
6. Mario is somewhere in between the debate right now(not a bust and not a stud)

I can't think of any problems we've encountered that everyone wasn't aware of going into the season:

1. Flanagan is not very good.
2. Our LT situation is going to be below average until Spencer returns or it's addressed this off-season
3. Losing Chris Taylor was bad for our RB situation
4. AGreen will have trouble playing 16 games
5. our CB2 and safeties are a weakness.
6. We lack a pure speed rusher to get consistent pressure on the QBs.
7. Richard Smith is not a very good D.C.- he's not awful but he can be out-coached.
8. We don't have long term answers at OLB.
9. Injuries to a lot of our starters will cause the team to struggle.

I'm just not sure why anyone would be discouraged about the direction and play of the team so far. Don't get me wrong, I had visions of being 4-2 and in the thick of things right now, but a loss at Jacksonville isn't reason to be down on the direction of this team. I'd say that the fact so many of us expected to play better and/or win yesterday is an indication that the team is offering a lot of hope to us.
I totally agree. The negatives you listed were EXACTLY what we all thought at the beginning but here's the good news:

1. 4th round in the draft
2. Spencer returns (hopefully)
3. 1st round of draft
4. We can use him as a secondary back
5. Resign Dunta, Bennett plays better, 30MM in salary cap to get a GREAT coverage FS
6. Pick up a big name pass rushing DE in FA
7. Let Bush take over DC
8. 3rd round pick - OLB
9. Suddenly we have depth!

Recap

FA - BIG NAME Pass Rushing DE, resign DROB, Coverage FS
Draft:
1st - RB
3rd - OLB
4th - C
5-7th - BPA

That will be a great team!
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007   #60
dickieb
Veteran

Rep Power: 148 dickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Texan View Post
I totally agree. The negatives you listed were EXACTLY what we all thought at the beginning but here's the good news:

1. 4th round in the draft
2. Spencer returns (hopefully)
3. 1st round of draft
4. We can use him as a secondary back
5. Resign Dunta, Bennett plays better, 30MM in salary cap to get a GREAT coverage FS
6. Pick up a big name pass rushing DE in FA
7. Let Bush take over DC
8. 3rd round pick - OLB
9. Suddenly we have depth!

Recap

FA - BIG NAME Pass Rushing DE, resign DROB, Coverage FS
Draft:
1st - RB
3rd - OLB
4th - C
5-7th - BPA

That will be a great team!
I hate to burst your bubble, but as long as Kubiak and Rick Smith keep trying to be like Denver I don't think we will draft a RB in the first round.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read