Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-15-2007   #21
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: Remember what I said at the beginning of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post
I respect that, but I disagree. Definitely can understand and respect that though.

It really just depends on your perspective. You say we lack two basic components, but overall our D-line has performed well...Even the elite teams don't have D-lines that play lights out or stellar every week...

I personally believe a more true representation of this team was our showings in the pre-season combined with our first three games (Colts included) vs. our last 3 games....

I think Jacoby, Andre, Steve and Ahman really change the offense and those are the three common factors on our offense that haven't been in the works too much over the past three games...

But like I said...It just depends on your perspective...

I don't think our first three games were flukes...I think when healthy we are closer to a team that can compete with the Colts vs a team that gets blown out by the Jags...

But in this world of what have you done for me lately people tend to forget the good things that happened in the past and focus on the negatives of the present...but so goes life...
Exactly. People forget what Andre brings to this team. He meant by just being out there that a Receiver was open because he drew the attention. And if you play singe coverage man he's still good enough to exploit it.

I also don't think our first three games were flukes, I think they were legit. Also I think the defense came out playing hard they gave our offense ALL the chance in the world to leave that 1st qtr with a 14+ point lead than they got wore down. I don't remember being 1-5 in the redzone with Andre in there, you line the guy up with Owen Daniels in the red zone and defenders fall back just enough to allow a small run.

I am very confident that when Andre is back and ready, that people will see how much he really meant to this team and how much he changes things.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #22
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
Exactly. People forget what Andre brings to this team. He meant by just being out there that a Receiver was open because he drew the attention. And if you play singe coverage man he's still good enough to exploit it.

I also don't think our first three games were flukes, I think they were legit. Also I think the defense came out playing hard they gave our offense ALL the chance in the world to leave that 1st qtr with a 14+ point lead than they got wore down. I don't remember being 1-5 in the redzone with Andre in there, you line the guy up with Owen Daniels in the red zone and defenders fall back just enough to allow a small run.

I am very confident that when Andre is back and ready, that people will see how much he really meant to this team and how much he changes things.

It's amazing that you actually have to point that out. What were the Eagles without TO, the Cowboys without TO, the Vikings without Moss...etc.?

Having a pro bowl player on crutches is bad news for any team.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #23
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Great points as always, Mike. I knew it would be a good season because as fans we'd see some definite positive change. I knew it'd also be a very frustrating season because everything is not quite there yet. Everything is in development, and a lot of the team's problems (e.g., penalties and clock management) will be solved by consistent playing time. It's Kube's second year as a head coach, and Matt's first as a QB. Matt's also still being protected by the same line as last year. It's obvious to me that is a major part of the problem.

The biggest problem going on right now is getting into the endzone. I'm hoping that having AJ back in the mix will bring it all together. At the same time, the Texans came close on several occassions, like Davis' near-TD.

They are a good team, but they are also a couple cogs in the wheel away from a great team. I think most would agree there's a combination of o-line and DB that has to be addressed through the draft or free agency.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #24
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
The Texans may get to .500 this year, but it doesn't seem like things are moving to turn the corner.
Seriously ?

Like........seriously ?
Old 10-15-2007   #25
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Even if this was our year.....The Pats or Colts are going to win the SB.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #26
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 84321 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Let's see, the Texans still have big problems in scoring in the red zone and end up kicking field goals. Still can't run the football on offense. The defense still can't stop the run, the pass rush is pathetic, and coverage is slow and sloppy.

Like I said, the players are better, but it isn't by much to really make a difference in results on the field.

The Texans may get to .500 this year, but it doesn't seem like things are moving to turn the corner.

Once AJ gets back, it will be interesting to see how the offense responds. The Texans need to score points to win because the defense still has the same problems.
Well we have problems in the redzone because the offensive line is still a joke.

The field shrinks if we're in the redzone and we don't have a guy, with AJ out, who can make the other team really worry about the fade route. When we can run AJ on fades that will open up an entire side of the field and you'll see us go to OD more.

I think its a stretch to say we can't stop the run. We didn't tackle well last game but up until that point we have stopped the run fairly well. Our pass defense is our problem.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #27
gjmac2
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 gjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden cover

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Texans have something like $30 million coming off the books next year? If I'm not mistaken, Gary Walker, Todd Wade, Carr, Wong and others finnaly come off the cap next year.

We should be able to strengthen this team by leaps and bounds next year.
Old 10-15-2007   #28
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 84321 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjmac2 View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Texans have something like $30 million coming off the books next year? If I'm not mistaken, Gary Walker, Todd Wade, Carr, Wong and others finnaly come off the cap next year.

We should be able to strengthen this team by leaps and bounds next year.
You are correct. That's why I said we were laying a foundation this year.. and next year we'll be adding window dressing.

Mike

Old 10-15-2007   #29
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

you guys are depressing. that game really wasnt that bad. we outplayed them for 3 quarters. our defense was just left on the field to long. i can think of 4 plays that gave them 28 points.

lets see what happens next week before we give up on the season. im sure if we win most of you will be talking super bowl again.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #30
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth View Post
you guys are depressing. that game really wasnt that bad. we outplayed them for 3 quarters. our defense was just left on the field to long. i can think of 4 plays that gave them 28 points.

lets see what happens next week before we give up on the season. im sure if we win most of you will be talking super bowl again.
Either you're not talking about me or you've never read anything I've ever written. I don't think my projections or outlook on the season have changed much from game to game to be honest.

Mike

Old 10-15-2007   #31
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127050 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I guess I need to crawl under a rock and stop cheering for my team, since this isn't their year.

And I was having so much fun......................
Old 10-15-2007   #32
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Colts beat Jacksonville next Sunday and we beat Tennessee. We are right back in wild card romp. Both should happen. Young will be pumped but so will AJ. Our pro bowl WR trumps their QB/RB.

30 million is significant in FA and by then we will know how Bennett is doing. His physical stats 6'0 197 lbs (Texans Roster) estimated 40 @ 4.45 to 4.55
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...yers/5767.html

http://www.ontheclockdraft.com/profi...d_Bennett/1255

say he can do the job but time will tell. Assante Samuel will be available for a big price if necessary. Either way we can better our defense in 2008.

Some think LT can be remedied in FA but I'm not too sure.

It is obvious that LT and RB is not working out. We need to address one in first round. Spencer had little to place our optimism on even if he can come back next year. Green needs to turn it up soon. As of now, he and Dayne and Gado need to be cut end of year.

We do not need TEs or WR next year but I was hoping our TEs and Fb would be used more in red zone. Leech got one from sage
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #33
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Well, I guess I need to crawl under a rock and stop cheering for my team, since this isn't their year.

And I was having so much fun......................
I didn't say don't root for them. There is however, noting wrong with acknowlidging the fact that they have limitations to what they can do.

Mike

Old 10-15-2007   #34
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
Well we have problems in the redzone because the offensive line is still a joke.

The field shrinks if we're in the redzone and we don't have a guy, with AJ out, who can make the other team really worry about the fade route. When we can run AJ on fades that will open up an entire side of the field and you'll see us go to OD more.

I think its a stretch to say we can't stop the run. We didn't tackle well last game but up until that point we have stopped the run fairly well. Our pass defense is our problem.

Mike
You are not reading my posts. First, I said that Kubiak improved the QB position significantly. Second, I said it will be interesting to see what happens when AJ gets back. You respond to my posts taking issue with something I agree with you on.

However, it's very simple, the Texans are going to have to score a lot of points to be win ball games consistently because the defense is still what it was when Kubiak came in. Which is the same with the offensive line.

Yes, Kubiak has improved the overall talent, but it hasn't really improved to show it's a better product on the field. I believe some of that is due to Kubiak's poor play calling and bad clock management.

The Texans probably need 2 more big time players, probably at LT and RB to turn the corner. Finding those type of guys in free agency is too expensive and you are not going to get top tier. They need to get it in the draft. Schaub is the real deal (we also paid a dear price) and I wouldn't want to leave him hanging in the wind without the right firepower.

As an aside, generally, free agency is for filling out your team, not building it...

So, with all this free cap space coming up, it doesn't need to be filled up with overpriced free agents.

Last edited by hollywood_texan; 10-15-2007 at 04:10 PM.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #35
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes, Kubiak has improved the overall talent, but it hasn't really improved to show it's a better product on the field.
It's absurd to say this team is not markedly improved over last year and even more so above the year before that. One simple stat shows the nature of the difference--last year in 16 games--25 plays over 20 yds and 3 over 40 yds. In just 6 games the Texans have 17 plays over 20 yds and 5 over 40 yds. This offense firing on 5 cylinders is far more dangerous than anything the Texans have ever fielded before.
Old 10-15-2007   #36
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
It's absurd to say this team is not markedly improved over last year and even more so above the year before that. One simple stat shows the nature of the difference--last year in 16 games--25 plays over 20 yds and 3 over 40 yds. In just 6 games the Texans have 17 plays over 20 yds and 5 over 40 yds. This offense firing on 5 cylinders is far more dangerous than anything the Texans have ever fielded before.
It's not absurd if you look at how this team has played the last 3 weeks and with the same frustrating parts of the games that seem to rear their head regardless of how the offense does.

Having AJ out is a huge blow to this team. But, what it has shown us is that this team is really about two players, Schaub and AJ.

I know I am slightling Demeco and Dunta a bit here, but the defense still stinks. Unfortunatley, I don't think Mario is going to live up to expectations. We'll see....

Without the Texans scoring some serious points, they are in big trouble. Which, if you think about it, isn't much different from Capers in year 4. Same as that time, no running game! Sound famaliar? Not trying to changed anyone's mind, just showing a different perspective.

I am really disappointed in Kubiak's coaching since AJ has gone down.

To sum up, I think the Texans need to get 2 more star players (which should be on offense because I feel very confident Schaub can do his part and more to make that investment pay off) and Kubiak needs to improve his gameplanning/play calling and clock management in order for the Texans to turn the corner.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #37
real

Maybe Kubiak can sign up for a training course or something..
Old 10-15-2007   #38
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
We probably will, as long as it isn't a reach when we're on the clock. That's the deal, though. We have plenty of holes to fill. Which one wouldn't be a reach.
We need to take BPA. Teams get burned when they reach or go for a specific player becuase they are in need of a position. Sadly the Texans have a lot of holes that need fixin. I say BPA aside from QB, DL, FB, TE, P, or K. We could use help at every other position.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #39
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed... Look, when Indy fans look at their schedule and figure on 12 or 13 wins, they consider at Jacksonville as one of the losses. So far we've lost the two games we all expected to, one we shouldn't have, and won everything else. It still appears we will win between 8-10 games this year.

What we've learned since preseason:

1. We have a very good NFL QB, for sure!
2. Okoye looks like the real deal.
3. our WR depth is much better than anyone thought
4. Rick Smith knows how to draft
5. Travis Johnson isn't a complete bust.
6. Mario is somewhere in between the debate right now(not a bust and not a stud)

I can't think of any problems we've encountered that everyone wasn't aware of going into the season:

1. Flanagan is not very good.
2. Our LT situation is going to be below average until Spencer returns or it's addressed this off-season
3. Losing Chris Taylor was bad for our RB situation
4. AGreen will have trouble playing 16 games
5. our CB2 and safeties are a weakness.
6. We lack a pure speed rusher to get consistent pressure on the QBs.
7. Richard Smith is not a very good D.C.- he's not awful but he can be out-coached.
8. We don't have long term answers at OLB.
9. Injuries to a lot of our starters will cause the team to struggle.

I'm just not sure why anyone would be discouraged about the direction and play of the team so far. Don't get me wrong, I had visions of being 4-2 and in the thick of things right now, but a loss at Jacksonville isn't reason to be down on the direction of this team. I'd say that the fact so many of us expected to play better and/or win yesterday is an indication that the team is offering a lot of hope to us.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #40
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Agreed... Look, when Indy fans look at their schedule and figure on 12 or 13 wins, they consider at Jacksonville as one of the losses. So far we've lost the two games we all expected to, one we shouldn't have, and won everything else. It still appears we will win between 8-10 games this year.

What we've learned since preseason:

1. We have a very good NFL QB, for sure!
2. Okoye looks like the real deal.
3. our WR depth is much better than anyone thought
4. Rick Smith knows how to draft
5. Travis Johnson isn't a complete bust.
6. Mario is somewhere in between the debate right now(not a bust and not a stud)

I can't think of any problems we've encountered that everyone wasn't aware of going into the season:

1. Flanagan is not very good.
2. Our LT situation is going to be below average until Spencer returns or it's addressed this off-season
3. Losing Chris Taylor was bad for our RB situation
4. AGreen will have trouble playing 16 games
5. our CB2 and safeties are a weakness.
6. We lack a pure speed rusher to get consistent pressure on the QBs.
7. Richard Smith is not a very good D.C.- he's not awful but he can be out-coached.
8. We don't have long term answers at OLB.
9. Injuries to a lot of our starters will cause the team to struggle.

I'm just not sure why anyone would be discouraged about the direction and play of the team so far. Don't get me wrong, I had visions of being 4-2 and in the thick of things right now, but a loss at Jacksonville isn't reason to be down on the direction of this team. I'd say that the fact so many of us expected to play better and/or win yesterday is an indication that the team is offering a lot of hope to us.
Totally agree with both posts. We finally have a competitive team, and although they got whipped yesterday, this is still the best team we've had to date. I really thought myself, that they would beat the Jags and be 4-2, but Jax was a lot more prepared and physical for this game. Maybe the wake-up call Jax got from Tennessee will work for us too, after allowing over 200 yards rushing on us.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read