Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-15-2007   #1
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 89488 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Remember what I said at the beginning of the year

This guys, is not our year. This is a nice product, but its still in beta so to speak. Lets not forget we have a boatload of money to spend next year. Next year we can adress most of the weaknesses we have on this team all in one offseason. When I said this was a sub .500 team, this is what I was talking about. The good news is that this team is on the rise.

Remember what this team is.

1. Schaub is going to take time. For a guy that has started 7 NFL games, he is ahead of the curve. He has great pocket presence, he has great leadership qualities. He has a live arm and throws a catchable ball. The things he needs to work on are correctable with alot of work. And if there's one thing you hear about him, he's willing to do that work.

2. This Oline is a work in progress. Between Pitt and Indy there should be some very good quality linemen coming out to the market this year. Faneca will probably be let go. We should be able to find a center.

3. The DBs need help: Was there anybody that thought that Petey was the answer? Nobody thought that the Safety positions were in the hands of the future of the organization did they?

4. We have an older RB who is going to get hurt. Can we say Mike Turner people? We are past the trade deadline. We will need to answer the RB question permeantly next year, without using a high draft pick. I don't think Duckett is the answer in free agency. There just aren't that many answers to be honest. But we knew all of this when we signed Green. He's not the RB of the future.

5. This is a young team learning to win. As sick as sunday's game was, it is part of the process. The ref's sucked. We're going to get those games sometimes and you have to find a way to win in this league. Look at how long it took the Colts to go from talented to SB champs. I had a coach who used to point to the opposition when we lost. He would tell us to look at that and remember it. Next time it will feel better when you're doing it if you appreciate what defeat tastes like. This is all part of the process folks. Hold on this is going to be a fun ride.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #2
real

Default Re: Remember what I said at the beginning of the year

Baaah humbug!
Old 10-15-2007   #3
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Good post and something to keep in mind.

I'm not nearly as upset this year at the losses because I see a brighter future - last year there wasn't a snowball's chance in August.

Keeping the faith!
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #4
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Good post Mike.Just please don't use the term product when refering to a team. I hate that phrase.

FA will be interesting this next year for sure with what will be a very healthy cap situation. I think a lot hinges on whether Sherman is still here next year.If he's gone I am willing to bet lil Shanny gets the OC position and we'd move more in the direction of a ZBS instead of this power/zone mix.

I don't know if i am sold on Turner and not sure how much he'd try and command. Honestly I think drafting one is a much better way to go.

Schaub is still a work in progess but like you said right now he's looking ahead of the curve.He looked off on some throws and other very on. We just really need to get some sort of answer at the RB position because that really dictates how Kubiak wants to run the offense. Though honestly i almost feel we need to pass to open up the run right now.

We knew this was going to be a tough stretch of games here and hurts worse our best player is still sidelined.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

We might be a .500 team this year, but it's obvious that it's wishful thinking to hope for anything more than that.

Good points, Texanmike. We have a lot of positives to look at and a good foundation to build upon. But the fact is that we lack depth and quality talent at key positions. Great teams are not built overnight, so we just have to keep in mind that this team is better than the 2006 and 2005 teams and will continue to improve under Kubiak's leadership.
Old 10-15-2007   #6
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

what's wrong with expecting a winning football team?
Old 10-15-2007   #7
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post
why wouldn't we use a high draft pick on a rb? just asking....
We probably will, as long as it isn't a reach when we're on the clock. That's the deal, though. We have plenty of holes to fill. Which one wouldn't be a reach.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-15-2007   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfuldragon View Post
what's wrong with expecting a winning football team?
Nothing....especially if you are a Colts or Patriots fan!
Old 10-15-2007   #9
real

I don't think this past game serves as a representaion of how this team is shaping up, but I think this next game and how our guys play will speak volumes...

If players come out uninspired next week then that won't speak too well on the coaching staff...
Old 10-15-2007   #10
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Could we please hold off on this talk until the season is halfway over or something??? The team's complexion may revert back to what it was with the return of maybe, umm I don't know, it's best player...

It's week 6 guys...
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post
I don't think this past game serves as a representaion of how this team is shaping up, but I think this next game and how our guys play will speak volumes...

If players come out uninspired next week then that won't speak too well on the coaching staff...
Losing 3 out of the last 4 games is indicative of what this team is about, IMO. We lack two basic ingredients: a consistent running game and a consistent pass rush. Without these two components, everything we try to establish is built upon sand. Our entire gameplan seems to revolve around the very things we lack, which is perplexing to say the least.

The next game is an important one, though. The Titans have a solid running game and a great defense, and if VY comes out with a chip on his shoulder (again), I think our only hope is for our ENTIRE team to come out inspired and swinging hard for 60 minutes. Otherwise, it's going to be a long, long day with a lot of pissed off Texans fans leaving the stadium tasting a 3-4 losing record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
Could we please hold off on this talk until the season is halfway over or something??? The team's complexion may revert back to what it was with the return of maybe, umm I don't know, it's best player...

It's week 6 guys...
While I certainly agree with you, your point indicates that we are not a 'playoff caliber' team if so much rides on one skill player. Besides, our defense is healthy and they look like crap. AJ can't help that side of the ball except to keep them off the field.
Old 10-15-2007   #12
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

As this season rolls on through, I am beginning to come to the conclusion that even though things are better, they aren't by much.

Kubiak has had two drafts and two free agent signing seasons, and the only position that has improved greatly is the QB spot.

I know it takes some time to get things rolling, but the defensive front seven still has big problems with all the investment.

More worrisome to me though is Kubiak's play calling and clock management, particularly the last few weeks. There seems to be zero creativity or balls. Not mention, Kubiak at times, just gets out coached.

We'll see how things shake out the rest of this season once AJ gets back, but it seems clear to me the Texans still have the same serious holes that were here before Kubiak came in with the exception of the QB position.

Probably one or two players can completely change the makeup of this squad into a monster, but it's probably going to have to come through the draft. Getting those type of players through free agency is too expensive and generally don't have a high success rate anyway.

There is one mitigating factor though for Kubiak, the bad luck of referee calls and injuries just seems too much for any team to handle. But, I still think Kubiak can do a lot better in player personnel and play calling.

The remaining part of this season is going to be very interesting to say the least...
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #13
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 89488 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post
why wouldn't we use a high draft pick on a rb? just asking....

Just my opinion, but there doesn't seem to be a marquee name available at CB. I think you absolutely have to go DB in the first round, no second rounder and the 3rd will either be OLB, OL or DB. I think this year we're fortunate that between FA and the draft, we should be able to fill most of your holes.

Mike

Old 10-15-2007   #14
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
As this season rolls on through, I am beginning to come to the conclusion that even though things are better, they aren't by much.

Kubiak has had two drafts and two free agent signing seasons, and the only position that has improved greatly is the QB spot.
I would argue quite a bit with this statement. I'd say the following positions are significantly better than when he got here.

QB
WR2
RB
TE
LDE
RDE
MLB
NB
P

are all bettter than when he arrived.

Mike

Old 10-15-2007   #15
dickieb
Veteran

Rep Power: 148 dickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respected

All we need to do is win the next 10 games. We just got our losing done early in the year, we sweep the Titans, split with Colts and Jags, and win all the other games - easy !
Old 10-15-2007   #16
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
We lack two basic ingredients: a consistent running game and a consistent pass rush. Without these two components, everything we try to establish is built upon sand. Our entire gameplan seems to revolve around the very things we lack, which is perplexing to say the least.
Very well said. Just to add, kind of what I already said in a previous post, this is what really concerns me, Kubiak has had two drafts and free agent signings and will still have these same issues before Kubiak came in.

It really revolves around the draft. Getting impact players through free agency is too expensive and is a crap shoot like the draft.

I am very happy to have Schaub, but those two 2nd round draft picks are going to make things a lot more difficult for Kubiak.

Sure, we addressed the most important position, but now we have fewer bullets to take care of the rest of the issues, which still haven't been addressed.

Like you said, perplexing to say the least...
Old 10-15-2007   #17
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
I would argue quite a bit with this statement. I'd say the following positions are significantly better than when he got here.

QB
WR2
RB
TE
LDE
RDE
MLB
NB
P

Mike
I agree except at RB. Just because Domanick was doing a good job for us then, I will always wonder what Domanick would be able to accomplish in this offense(now that we have a actual QB now), he was exactly the type of back Kubiak likes.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #18
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickieb View Post
All we need to do is win the next 10 games. We just got our losing done early in the year, we sweep the Titans, split with Colts and Jags, and win all the other games - easy !
Hey...its possible I like the way you think. I'll take it one game at time though, Titans first.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #19
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Losing 3 out of the last 4 games is indicative of what this team is about, IMO. We lack two basic ingredients: a consistent running game and a consistent pass rush.
I respect that, but I disagree. Definitely can understand and respect that though.

It really just depends on your perspective. You say we lack two basic components, but overall our D-line has performed well...Even the elite teams don't have D-lines that play lights out or stellar every week...And nothing really has changed with our running game besides McKinney and Green the last few weeks...

I personally believe a more true representation of this team was our showings in the pre-season combined with our first three games (Colts included) vs. our last 3 games....

I think Jacoby, Andre, Steve and Ahman really change the offense and those are the 4 common factors on our offense that haven't been in the works too much over the past three games...

But like I said...It just depends on your perspective...

I don't think our first three games were flukes...I think when healthy we are closer to a team that can compete with the Colts vs a team that gets blown out by the Jags...I think we are closer to a team that can be productive on the ground than one who is totally ineffective...I think we are closer to a team where Mario has 3 sacks and Amobi has 4, than we are to a team where neither one of them was a factor yesterday...

Was our pre-season and first three games a fluke while these last three games closer to the truth ? The Texans played well early on...well enough to get folks excited...

But in this world of what have you done for me lately people tend to forget the good things that happened in the past and focus on the negatives of the present...but so goes life...

Last edited by real; 10-15-2007 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-15-2007   #20
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post

QB
WR2
RB
TE
LDE
RDE
MLB
NB
P

Mike
Let's see, the Texans still have big problems in scoring in the red zone and end up kicking field goals. Still can't run the football on offense. The defense still can't stop the run, the pass rush is pathetic, and coverage is slow and sloppy.

Like I said, the players are better, but it isn't by much to really make a difference in results on the field.

The Texans may get to .500 this year, but it doesn't seem like things are moving to turn the corner.

Once AJ gets back, it will be interesting to see how the offense responds. The Texans need to score points to win because the defense still has the same problems.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read