Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-15-2007   #1
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19314 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected
Default More game observations

I've just got to throw my observations into the mix here also.

1) Jacksonville never punted. The only real stops were the 2 fumbles in the 1st quarter. I think this sums up the game as well as anything. This seems to be a recurring problem - Miami's only 2 punts came in the 4th quarter at the end of 8 and 9 play drives.

2) Following up on that, a huge part of the blame for this one goes to the defense. It's true they were on the field a lot, but a lot of that was their own fault. If they can't get a single 3-and-out (they didn't have any against Miami, either), they're going to end up on the field a lot.

3) In the exact opposite of what I would have expected, the secondary was the one part of the defense that played semi-decently. Dunta did great, as far as I could tell, and Faggins didn't look too bad. CC Brown caused a fumble. Meanwhile, the DL was getting no penetration/push on passing plays, and missing tackles on running plays. The linebackers didn't seem to be covering the short passing routes in the middle, and again missed tackles.

4) The only reason our OL looked at all decent was due to Schaub. It seemed to me like he was often having to hurry his throws or throw on the run. The pass protection stats are deceptive - they make the OL seem better than it is. Their poor run performance is obvious.

5) I'm amazed at how good our WRs have been, despite losing AJ, Jacoby (was he active today?) and Mathis. Most of our plays don't seem very well suited for getting YAC, though.

6) I wish our RBs could break/avoid tackles like those Jacksonville RBs. I don't know how much is due to the RBs, and how much is the defense, though. I did think that at least Green/Gado looked a lot better than Dayne/Gado.

7) I wouldn't be opposed to the offense focusing on nothing but short-yardage and goalline plays for the next week.

8) This game could have been even worse, had Jacksonville made that first FG. That's one where they shot themselves in the foot, rather than our team doing much of anything. The punt that hit their player was also a fair bit of luck for us.

9) You've got to give Jacksonville a lot of credit for making (and successfully executing) some gutsy calls. Their going for it on 4th down twice, and of course the onside kick, really helped get momentum in their direction.

10) The refs clearly had some poor calls, but they're not the reason we lost. We could play what-if all day long, and most scenarios would still come out with us losing.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #2
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: More game observations

I think you make a great point about our defense. They are non-existent right now and can't get the 3-and-out unless the other team literally gives it to them with a bone head play of some sort. The only things that ever "seem" to stop our opponents drives are turnovers (which I will give our defense a share of the credit for causing") and their opponents doing somethign stupid to kill a drive. We're not seeing nearly enough punts over the last few weeks and this is not the result of missing Ahman Green and Andre Johnson. The defense is not pulling its share of the load.

Yes, they're on the field a little too much. Yes there is plenty of blame to go around and the offense is sucking too right now. Without a running game our offense is one dimensional and easy to contain when the field gets smaller down in the red zone. None of that however accounts for the Jaguars blowing up to the tune of 37 points on us. That's on Rick Smith's defense. They suck dreadfully.

One thing I'm reminded of in all of this is the year that the Oilers brought Buddy Ryan in to coach their defense. He made some ridiculous statements about how we'd get to the Super Bowl if we brought in Wilbur Marshall and gave him free-reign on that side of the ball. Previously the defense had been an "ok-ish" bunch of often underachieving players. Their biggest claim to fame prior to Ryan coming here had been in giving up the big Buffalo comeback. In one season they got pretty good, pretty fast. Wilbur Marshall wasn't the difference, the scheme was the difference. The coaching was the difference.

I'm thinking of whipping up a bar of soap avatar for Richard Smith.

On the rest of it there are plenty of good points in there. Lack of a running game is killing us as is lack of a quality center.

If I had to break the Texans problems down quick and dirty I'd say that we need a LT, C, and a RB on offense and we need a CB, FS, and LB on defense along with a defensive coordinator who can get the job done and come up with a philosophy somewhat more refined than "Hit the Beach!"
Old 10-15-2007   #3
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I think you make a great point about our defense. They are non-existent right now and can't get the 3-and-out unless the other team literally gives it to them with a bone head play of some sort. The only things that ever "seem" to stop our opponents drives are turnovers (which I will give our defense a share of the credit for causing") and their opponents doing somethign stupid to kill a drive. We're not seeing nearly enough punts over the last few weeks and this is not the result of missing Ahman Green and Andre Johnson. The defense is not pulling its share of the load.

Yes, they're on the field a little too much. Yes there is plenty of blame to go around and the offense is sucking too right now. Without a running game our offense is one dimensional and easy to contain when the field gets smaller down in the red zone. None of that however accounts for the Jaguars blowing up to the tune of 37 points on us. That's on Rick Smith's defense. They suck dreadfully.

One thing I'm reminded of in all of this is the year that the Oilers brought Buddy Ryan in to coach their defense. He made some ridiculous statements about how we'd get to the Super Bowl if we brought in Wilbur Marshall and gave him free-reign on that side of the ball. Previously the defense had been an "ok-ish" bunch of often underachieving players. Their biggest claim to fame prior to Ryan coming here had been in giving up the big Buffalo comeback. In one season they got pretty good, pretty fast. Wilbur Marshall wasn't the difference, the scheme was the difference. The coaching was the difference.

On the rest of it there are plenty of good points in there. Lack of a running game is killing us as is lack of a quality center.

If I had to break the Texans problems down quick and dirty I'd say that we need a LT, C, and a RB on offense and we need a CB, FS, and LB on defense along with a defensive coordinator who can get the job done and come up with a philosophy somewhat more refined than "Hit the Beach!"
I couldn't agree more. I've said it in the past that Richard Smith was doing a horrible job. I sure wish the Texans would make the change to Frank Bush pretty soon. Otherwise, we'll be seeing this same vanilla looking defense throughout the season.

Make the change Rick!!!!!!
Old 10-15-2007   #4
markn
Veteran

Rep Power: 20999 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

This is a great post, I agree entirely.
markn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #5
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

The defense is supposed to be our teams big strength. It's loaded with first round talent among the starters and they haven't been hit much by the injury bug (as opposed to the offense). They are just failing to get it done. The things we see on the field week in and week out lead me to beleive that these guys aren't being put in a position to succeed. Handling other teams receivers while in man-to-man and then inexplicably switching to zone for no reason and giving up the third down conversion? Constantly threatening to blitz with Dunta and DeMeco crowding the line and then almost never bringing them? Failing to get pressure with just four linemen but refusing to mix a blitz or two in from time to time? Having your CB play 8 yards off a receiver when they only need 4 yards to get the first down?

"defense". Richard Smith keeps using that word. I do not think it means what he thinks it means.

Last edited by Hervoyel; 10-15-2007 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Corrected Rick Smith/Richard Smith line. Almost called for the firing of our very good GM by mistake.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #6
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

By Rick you mean Richard right? Rick is the GM.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #7
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Yikes, I had a brain fart! Yes by all means I mean Richard.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read