Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-14-2007   #1
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10331 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default O-line

While I agree with alot of the things everyone is saying about how we lost the game, in my mind the game was lost in the trenches, and most specifically, the O-line. I really believe the worst injury loss we have had this year was to McKinney and last year was Spencer. I think Salaam is doing the best he can at LT, but he is not one of the best and we need an upgrade there. I only hope Spencer can come back next year at 100%. As for Center, Flanagan is just not a good run blocker and I really believe it is one of the keys as to why we cannot score TD's in the Red Zone. We need a Center and LT badly. Hope we can find them in FA or the Draft next year. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007   #2
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: O-line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
While I agree with alot of the things everyone is saying about how we lost the game, in my mind the game was lost in the trenches, and most specifically, the O-line. I really believe the worst injury loss we have had this year was to McKinney and last year was Spencer. I think Salaam is doing the best he can at LT, but he is not one of the best and we need an upgrade there. I only hope Spencer can come back next year at 100%. As for Center, Flanagan is just not a good run blocker and I really believe it is one of the keys as to why we cannot score TD's in the Red Zone. We need a Center and LT badly. Hope we can find them in FA or the Draft next year. JMHO!
Put Weary at Center and start Studdard.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007   #3
RamRod
Rookie

Quote:
i agree.isnt this the week we find out about spencer?
RamRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007   #4
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected

We were out rushed 244 to 61. Our #1 pick next year should go for the o-line.
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007   #5
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 5378 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Put Weary at Center and start Studdard.
Let's do it.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007   #6
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 9843 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Testing it for 1 week couldn't hurt could it?
Old 10-14-2007   #7
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2888 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Pitts didn't impress me at all. He was having a real hard time trying to run block today and for the most part, he was owned. They got by him on Schaub's QB draw, and he allowed a sack. Overall, I think the OL sucked balls. They were slow off the line, and didn't seem to have the intensity to match Jax DL.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-14-2007   #8
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Last year, the final roster was built to include some intangibles. Flanagan was kept for "leadership" and the fact that Salaam could play both left and right tackle was the given reason for keeping him on the roster. In regards to Flanagan, I stated at the time that the Texans were too thin in depth to keep players on for their locker room presence; they needed more players on the field.

As far Salaam, as soon as Spencer went down I stated the Texans needed a left tackle - not a guy who was flexible enough to play spot duty on either side, which was why he was on the roster. This spot "swing" player will be the LT for almost two years if he stays healthy this year.

I still stand by those opinions, even with Matt Schaub at QB. It is hard enough playing QB in the NFL without having to make up for line deficiencies as frequently as he does.

It seems we on the board always talk about "building from the trenches" when things go south during a season, but forget that and trust in "Kubes" and the Denver system when discussing the o-line in the offseason. Houston isn't Denver, and the plan for the o-line isn't working.
Old 10-14-2007   #9
brickman
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 brickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Last year, the final roster was built to include some intangibles. Flanagan was kept for "leadership" and the fact that Salaam could play both left and right tackle was the given reason for keeping him on the roster. In regards to Flanagan, I stated at the time that the Texans were too thin in depth to keep players on for their locker room presence; they needed more players on the field.

As far Salaam, as soon as Spencer went down I stated the Texans needed a left tackle - not a guy who was flexible enough to play spot duty on either side, which was why he was on the roster. This spot "swing" player will be the LT for almost two years if he stays healthy this year.

I still stand by those opinions, even with Matt Schaub at QB. It is hard enough playing QB in the NFL without having to make up for line deficiencies as frequently as he does.

It seems we on the board always talk about "building from the trenches" when things go south during a season, but forget that and trust in "Kubes" and the Denver system when discussing the o-line in the offseason. Houston isn't Denver, and the plan for the o-line isn't working.
Bravo, Bravo!!!!! Well said!
brickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007   #10
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2888 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The Denver system or the Green Bay system aren't working right now. Also, not having McKinney in there hurts too.
Old 10-14-2007   #11
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It's bad when you have to start going for the endzone outside the twenty .

I get a bad feeling when it's 1st and goal from the 6yd line because it's soon to be 2nd and goal from the 5yd line .
Old 10-14-2007   #12
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
The Denver system or the Green Bay system aren't working right now.
I was speaking of the Denver system in terms of taking o-lineman in the later rounds.
Old 10-14-2007   #13
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I was speaking of the Denver system in terms of taking o-lineman in the later rounds.
I'm just saying we aren't run blocking well...period.
Old 10-14-2007   #14
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 62 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

What I have noticed...

NO ONE TACKLES! I see our defense run the opposition off the field, or grab at the uni but no one (Except Dunta, you are my TEXANS hero!) who will go knock 'em on their azzez.

Is it not a basic fundamental to TACKLE your rival and not invite them to tango?
Wrap'em up....TACKLE.
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007   #15
Twitch-Houston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 289 Twitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILO_girl View Post
What I have noticed...

(Except Dunta, you are my TEXANS hero!) who will go knock 'em on their azzez.
I gotta give props to Hutchins. His been a pretty good safety valve for the most part making tackles when he has needed to.
Twitch-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007   #16
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Salaam is doing his best and deserves a spot on our team. That spot is just back up Tackle.

Move Weary to Center
Move Spencer to Guard (if he comes back healthy)
Draft LT in the 1st round of '08

Get a dominant OL at the same time we're getting a dominant DL. Then go for skill positions that will be able to succeed the first game they play in. No need wasting a bruising season or two on a top tier RB if he's just going to get pummeled at the line of scrimmage.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

the Texans offensive line played their butts off today. the Jags have one of the most imposing fronts in the NFL & if you can't run the ball because you fall down on contact, they're going to blow up the QB. nothing new, we've seen it all before, the offense seemed to be clicking fine until they got to conservative in the red zone.

I also noticed their offensive line in the second half destroy our vaunted D-Line, of course they where exhausted from being on the field too long but I thought they where much bigger than the Texans from the opening. they pounded Okoye with double teams & Mario was contained by the tackle. Maddox had a nice sack, but then lost his quick first step after being called offsides & watched Weaver tread water all afternoon. thats what offensive lines are supposed to do, it starts in the Center & once you have the nose of the pocket established works it's way around to the ends like a horse shoe.

Spencer should be able to return next year but McKinney may be done & Flanagan too so Center should be the main focus, I don't know much about Chris White other than he was one of Shermans Packers but maybe he can start taking some snaps to see what he can do?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #18
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Nothing is imposiblle, but I think after the preformance today, you can prety much rule out a six game win streak or a couple of back to back three game winning streaks. There isn't a whole lot they can do at this point. They can't fire the players. What we have is what we have.
I've had a running arguement with a few people in here that the o-line, whether or not DC was involved, was a sore spot. Ok you are going to take these guys in the latter rounds and groom them up...fine. But at this point...you gotta make a move some where. Someone has to preform. It's not working. Not in a denver scheme, not in the green bay scheme, it just isn't working. It's not the running backs. It's not the quarterback. It's not the amount of skill palyers or their ablity. This game put a lazar beam on the problem. And after two games you gotta figure that the rust isn't coming off of Flanagan. Salaam is great if he isn't facing a great DE. Well he has only given up "x" amount of sacks this year pete...we're still on pace to have the lowest sack total ever....yeah well we just handed a blue print to the rest of the NFL and they will use it. If it was me and they tank the Tennese game , unload the benches see who can play and who can not play.

I don't know what the problem is with MS. There is a clear and decisive difference in how he throws the ball in the frist half compared to the second half. He does not throw well on the run. He losses acuracy when he is moving with the ball. There is NO excuse, bruised thigh whatever for a pro QB missing two wide open players in the end zone. None. Whatever the problem is they need to get a handle on it and fix it. If he is so inured he can not make those plays he should of been on the bench. He isn't a draw QB. He is a pocket passer.

If the defense gets gassed on two long drves they're are not in shape and that is on the players. They are proffesionals and it is their responsiblity to be in good enough shape to endure long drives. When I see guys with hands on their hips and DBs gulping air...there's been too much beer and Pizza and not enough wind sprints. I mean skill and tallent are one thing. Being out of shape is quite another. The tackling by all parties is simply terrible. And it has been since the carolina game. LB's going after Br're wrabbit in the wrong hole is just inexcusable. Even if they were all rookies. That there thingy is a sign of guessing and not reading. And if they cannot read plays at this level, I don't care what kind of honors they've had in the past, they need to get benched. They got embarrased today.The whole defense was putrid. Petey Faggins wasn't perfect but he just may have had his best day as a pro.

You can cry about this officiating crew and their very liberal interpretation of the rules. But the home team is going to get home calls. And every now and then, you're going to get a bad set of officials. That is why you prepare for a worst case scenario. Because those things shouldn't matter. Those things you learn to over come what ever they are and find a way to over come them. Losers cry about officiating.

They faced a prepared team and that team put a lazar beam where this oginanzation is at. Who we've over paid for and who still has a shot at redemtion. They are playing for jobs for next year now. They had oportunities to put the jags away early and they made mistake after mistake. We know they are not good enough to face a good motivated team with mutlipul mistakes, out of shape, with poor tackling, and expect to win. The jags practically gave the game away the first half. And guys we expected to carry the water, paid to carry the water, couldn't get it done. We should all know where they are now. Now where it is heading we're fixing to find out. The good news is that Salaam is still upright. It could be worse.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 10-15-2007 at 02:50 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I've had a running arguement with a few people in here that the o-line, whether or not DC was involved, was a sore spot. Ok you are going to take these guys in the latter rounds and groom them up...fine. But at this point...you gotta make a move some where. Someone has to preform. It's not working. Not in a denver scheme, not in the green bay scheme, it just isn't working.
lets break this down a little bit. I have no idea whats going on with Pitts he has been our best linemen since inception but he is missing blocking assignments & making false starts. if Salaam is playing hurt (which I suspect) why not move Pitts to LT then put Studdard in his place & see what happens? its too bad the bye week is so late because I think this might work out with some reps & become a long term solution.

Quote:
It's not the running backs.
I have to disagree. where's the second effort? one touch and they go down, I've never seen anything like it. we had hope coming into this season with Chris Taylor becoming the feature back (learn to secure the football) cause you knew he had a high motor & not going down easy. Regardless of the extent of Greens injury he has been a real dissapointment, & Samkon actually looks better just lacks explosion also going down to easy.

Quote:
It's not the quarterback. It's not the amount of skill palyers or their ablity.
Schaub is not the problem, although he still throws a couple real stinkers every game but without your #1 option Andre Johnson & rookie sensation Jacoby Jones those are your skill players they really miss.

Quote:
I don't know what the problem is with MS. There is a clear and decisive difference in how he throws the ball in the frist half compared to the second half. He does not throw well on the run. He losses acuracy when he is moving with the ball. There is NO excuse, bruised thigh whatever for a pro QB missing two wide open players in the end zone. None. Whatever the problem is they need to get a handle on it and fix it. If he is so inured he can not make those plays he should of been on the bench. He isn't a draw QB. He is a pocket passer.
you where just quoted as saying its not the quarterback, so why are you flaming on him? I thought he looked really good throwing on the run to his right, now throwing to the left seemed to be a different story, but if he did'nt move out of the pocket he would have been sacked twice as much isnt that the whole point of the offensive line breaking down & not sealing the pocket?

Quote:
If the defense gets gassed on two long drves they're are not in shape and that is on the players. They are proffesionals and it is their responsiblity to be in good enough shape to endure long drives. When I see guys with hands on their hips and DBs gulping air...there's been too much beer and Pizza and not enough wind sprints. I mean skill and tallent are one thing. Being out of shape is quite another. The tackling by all parties is simply terrible. And it has been since the carolina game.
I'm not ready to assign all the blame on the players its probably equally divided. other teams scouting of our tendancies seems to be right on & they continue to catch us in a blitz then just dump off the ball underneath in space & you Maruice Drew Jones room in space your in trouble. they are trying so hard to pressure the QB they get out of position on the run & if your out of position its next to impossible to recover & make textbook tackling.

Quote:
You can cry about this officiating crew and their very liberal interpretation of the rules. But the home team is going to get home calls. And every now and then, you're going to get a bad set of officials. That is why you prepare for a worst case scenario. Because those things shouldn't matter. Those things you learn to over come what ever they are and find a way to over come them. Losers cry about officiating.
The officating was hard to take because they were blowing it on the field but getting it right on instant replay that seemed to be a one-way Jaguar road, that kind of stuff kills momentum & breaks the back of your defense/offense.

Quote:
They faced a prepared team and that team put a lazar beam where this oginanzation is at.
Everyone knew the Jags where hot coming into the game and if not for lack of red zone ineptness the Texans where right in the game (take out those two late game defensive breakdowns). What it shows is that the Texans don't have the depth to overcome losing offensive firepower, that the offensive line as a unit is less than average, that the defense is young & out of position because they lack an effective pass rush & yes execution miscues. same ole problems the Texans have been dealing with since expansion, hell it wouldnt surprise me if the Texans draft another DE who is a speed rushing specialist. If Mario can't develop as a serious pass rushing threat move him to strongside run support with Weaver serving out his contract in a rotational role

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #20
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

The onus is on the o-line to protect Schaub better. He took some bad hits in the last few games, and now he's coughed up a ball because he was left wide open. I remember a few shots of him with his hand over his head and looking really POed. I hope he chewed out the line. I hope Kubiak did, too. They were pitiful, and swing tackles and PUP-listers won't fix the problem.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read