Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-14-2007   #61
Twitch-Houston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 290 Twitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Terrible Officiating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimeTexanFan View Post
Don't bother Twitch, they can't possible know what we're talking about considering they couldn't watch the game.
true.

Now their posts make more sense. They WERE blind. Blacked out as a matter of fact.
Twitch-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007   #62
copycat781
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976 View Post
The game was over before it started.

For some reason, you can just sense that this officiating crew somehow, for some reason, was decidedly giving Jags the benefit of the doubt.

Today was a situation of our D getting shafted by bad ref calls...and then having absolutely no energy left after the refs giving the Jags 1st down after 1st down after 1st down on the 3rd down situations where we would hold, but they get a flag that bailed them out.

The Reggie Williams no-call, and the no-call on the delay of game are perhaps the two EASIEST calls to make. How the NFL Officiating Committee is going to be able to gloss those over is beyond me.

It was blatant negligence by the refs, and it cost us TWO TOUCHDOWNS. And it essentially drained the life out of our team. You cannot ask those guys to play that hard all game and then make them stay out there on D because the refs want to get cute on stuff. Throw in Richard Smith, who might possibly be catching onto this new fad called "The Screen Pass," and we had a recipe for disaster like this.

What an awful day. That ref crew should get absolutely creamed over this when they get their evaluations.

And any serious-minded Jags fan cannot sit there and say they really earned this victory. It was not fairly called.

I was at the game, and this is news to me. I can say, that the bad calls went both ways in this game. I sat in my seat convinced that the refs were pulling for Houston in the first half. Come the second half it was like they were trying to make up for the first half. This crew left a lot to be desired for both sides.
Old 10-14-2007   #63
Bungster
Rookie

Still grasping for answers I see....
Bungster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007   #64
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90752 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by copycat781 View Post
I was at the game, and this is news to me. I can say, that the bad calls went both ways in this game. I sat in my seat convinced that the refs were pulling for Houston in the first half. Come the second half it was like they were trying to make up for the first half. This crew left a lot to be desired for both sides.
What calls went against JAX in the first half besides the FG where JAX did face mask the Texans?

Didn't JAX only have like 3 penalties the entire game?
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007   #65
Bungster
Rookie

Here ya' go boys...Answers to your questions.

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article.aspx?id=6398
Old 10-14-2007   #66
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon View Post
What calls went against JAX in the first half besides the FG where JAX did face mask the Texans?
It wasn't many, and if they did try to make up for it they overdid it.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007   #67
brickman
Rookie

Rep Power: 10 brickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVP

The officiating was bad, but it's not the reason we lost. We got schooled on both sides of the ball..... in the trenches.
brickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-14-2007   #68
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not trying to be mean to you, but when you say "..this is news to me.." it's exactly right--The replay shows our player getting his head shoved down and then into Reggie's chest, a result of a huge swinging motion by Reggie with both arms, with one of Reggie's arms slapping the defender away and then a huge shove-off to cap it off.

It was not "nifty" hand work where Reggie might have outplayed and did a swim move to avoid getting jammed by the defender. It was a flagrant grab and shove by Reggie that gave him separation.

It was perhaps the biggest blown call I have ever seen. What makes it really awful is that the DEFENDER was flagged for it! His hands were DOWN by his legs because he was being pulled off-balance by Reggie, he had to use his arms to get his balance and to keep from falling to the ground.

The thing that MIGHT have saved it: Had the defender fallen to the ground instead of trying to stand and make the play. Had he fallen, it would have exposed Reggie.

Even the announcers were like "What? Wow. All I saw was Reggie Williams doing the shoving..."

I am sorry to be like this. I really do not rag the reffing much, I feel that it's usually equal in a game. But Reggie Williams DID do a lot of shoving, and was being overly aggressive in the first half. I think the ref was afraid of the hometown boos.

There's not much to argue once you see the replay.

And the play clock no-call was very unprofessional. I can see if it was a bang-bang situation where the clock is at zero and the snap occurs. I won't gripe about those. But when it's at zero for 3 seconds, and not a single ref is watching...there is something seriously BOGUS going on.

That's not something you just skip over every now and then--It's assigned to a guy and he watches it to enforce it. But how they missed it, I'll never know.

If I were a Texans fan, I would not exactly be happy that we won this way.

In fact, I about halfway expect Kubiak to pull the refs over and admit we got an unfair call. But that's Jack Del Rio for you: He's the sort of guy that takes whatever he can get. Could care less how it appears.

Things like this come full circle, though. Make no mistake about it. It always comes back around at some point, and I expect to see a few unfortunate situations where the Jags somehow cannot get over the top even though they should have.

Wow. I have never seen a reffing job that did to my emotions what was done today. This was Bills-Oilers all over again, except we didn't have a lead to help us out.
Old 10-14-2007   #69
copycat781
Rookie

Quote:
You're forgetting the first JAX TD that the ref originally called holding on the WR correctly but was for some retarded reason decided to be a TD for JAX.

People can say what they want that we sucked and whatever. We did. But if we held the Jaguars to just a FG on that play who knows what would've happened. The refs really sucked big time today there's no doubt about it. If it was an even playing field I don't think we lose today, honestly. Idiotic calls constantly favoring JAX on 3rd and whatever would've turned to punts had they been called correctly, putting the ball in JJ's hands and our offense.

I'm throwing a flag on this post. The interference call was bogus to begin with. What official throws a flag on a tight end for blocking? Especially when the "crime" occurred within three yards? Remember we were at the three yard line, so any contact prior to the end zone in well with in the 5 yard "chuck rule".
Old 10-14-2007   #70
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickman View Post
The officiating was bad, but it's not the reason we lost. We got schooled on both sides of the ball..... in the trenches.
I disagree.

Why don't YOU go out there and hustle on defense, shut them down, and then watch the refs GIVE them the first down time after time?

At some point, you develop a very real sense of "We're screwed."

And at some point, you lose the focus you would normally have when it came time to make the big play.

You would normally shake off a bad play that you had made earlier which caused the drive to be extended. But when you make the good play, and the ref says "Hold on a second!" And then he moves the chains for the offense on ticky tack calls and no-calls, well...you get more tired and less focused by the second.

Without the charity work from the refs, I think this game goes down to the wire on either side. And I can stand losing THAT sort of game, even with a few bad calls.

But the bad calls were at pivotal points in the game where the result was a TD shortly after the blown call.

A defense is only going to be able to do so much before they are too tired to do any more. And that's how MJD made those late runs: We were not tired from MJD, we were tired from running all game long on the fumes of high hopes that the refs would stop making bad calls that extended drives for the Jags.

The Bills got several gifts in the Oilers playoff game, and it came back on them by way of The Music City Miracle and the recent loss to the Cowboys.

I hate Dallas, badly, but I was happy they smacked one on Buffalo on Monday Night and left those fans feeling empty and shocked.

It all comes around, sooner or later.

I fully expect to see a very emotional Texans team next Sunday. Kubiak will use this as fuel somehow.
Old 10-14-2007   #71
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Didn't JAX only have like 3 penalties the entire game?
One I saw was the spot on Matt Jones' reception on 3rd down. He clearly made it and was laying on the ground a yard in front of where they marked it as 6 inches short.

Jag fans need to shut their pieholes on excuses, whining, whatever. I have no idea whether the Texans would have won without the bad officiating and am not claiming they would have. The Jags played a good game today. But the officiating was an abomination and an embarrassment to the NFL--that is the point, whether it changed the outcome or not we will never know but that was horrid.
Old 10-14-2007   #72
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

The refs sucked!

So did Schaubs ability to sell the pass on the QB draw in the red zone.

Andre Davis's ability to cross the goal line without fumbling.

Pass protection, Schaub took way to many hits after delivering the ball.

D-Line, No pass rush and could not stop the run, maybe we need a #1 pick on the line, oh yeah we have 4!

The running game, Holes, what holes?

The clock in Schaub's head, he was under pressure all day BUT the ball on the fumble should have been gone before he took that hit.

Play calling? Did I miss where the forbid teams to use the TE in the red zone?

Personal managemt: Why active Jacony Jones if you cant get him on the field. If he is healthy enough to field punts why cant he play receiver?

and on top of all this the refs sucked.

We sure as hell better get it figure dout by next week! Bad refs or not a loss to TN at home will be crushing to the Texans fan base.

Support our troops
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007   #73
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownsportsfan View Post
The clock in Schaub's head, he was under pressure all day BUT the ball on the fumble should have been gone before he took that hit.
You have got to be kidding. Schaub time and time again today bought time. That play the D won by a half step or he is out and tossing it down field again like he did 5 times before.
Old 10-14-2007   #74
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Not trying to be mean to you, but when you say "..this is news to me.." it's exactly right--The replay shows our player getting his head shoved down and then into Reggie's chest, a result of a huge swinging motion by Reggie with both arms, with one of Reggie's arms slapping the defender away and then a huge shove-off to cap it off.

It was not "nifty" hand work where Reggie might have outplayed and did a swim move to avoid getting jammed by the defender. It was a flagrant grab and shove by Reggie that gave him separation.

It was perhaps the biggest blown call I have ever seen. What makes it really awful is that the DEFENDER was flagged for it! His hands were DOWN by his legs because he was being pulled off-balance by Reggie, he had to use his arms to get his balance and to keep from falling to the ground.

The thing that MIGHT have saved it: Had the defender fallen to the ground instead of trying to stand and make the play. Had he fallen, it would have exposed Reggie.

Even the announcers were like "What? Wow. All I saw was Reggie Williams doing the shoving..."

I am sorry to be like this. I really do not rag the reffing much, I feel that it's usually equal in a game. But Reggie Williams DID do a lot of shoving, and was being overly aggressive in the first half. I think the ref was afraid of the hometown boos.

And the play clock no-call was very unprofessional. I can see if it was a bang-bang situation where the clock is at zero and the snap occurs. I won't gripe about those. But when it's at zero for 3 seconds, and not a single ref is watching...there is something seriously BOGUS going on.

That's not something you just skip over every now and then--It's assigned to a guy and he watches it to enforce it. But how they missed it, I'll never know.

In fact, I about halfway expect Kubiak to pull the refs over and admit we got an unfair call. But that's Jack Del Rio for you: He's the sort of guy that takes whatever he can get. Could care less how it appears.

Things like this come full circle, though. Make no mistake about it. It always comes back around at some point, and I expect to see a few unfortunate situations where the Jags somehow cannot get over the top even though they should have.

Wow. I have never seen a reffing job that did to my emotions what was done today. This was Bills-Oilers all over again, except we didn't have a lead to help us out.
CopyCat:

Waiting for your response to my post (above).

The blocking call on #83 was a bad call that got corrected. I sat here on my couch and very willingly understood and supported that call. I think 90% of Texans fans agree--It should not have been a penalty.

Heck, even before it was fully explained by the announcers...I saw the first replay and I could easily tell that it was a legal block. No big deal, to me. You earned that particular TD.

But the overall day was a day of errant officiating, and your team got the biggest boost of either team. Period.

Now, hopefully you can watch the film on the Reggie Williams no-call. You'll see a flagrant push-off that gave Reggie separation, and you'll see the defender and his arms/hands nowhere NEAR Reggie's upper body.

Add the play clock no-call to it, and you have two TDs that were illegitimate, IMO.

I'm just ready for the next game between us. I think it's going to be a different story next time around. We're a good enough team to overcome our own mistakes, we did it against Carolina and Miami.

But the ref job today was bogus. Congrats on the win, I guess.

I'd like to be able to say it with a true heart...but this particular game was a hack job of gigantic proportions.
Old 10-14-2007   #75
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
You have got to be kidding. Schaub time and time again today bought time. That play the D won by a half step or he is out and tossing it down field again like he did 5 times before.
I'm with cak on this one.

Schaub was 100% blindsided--Good job by the defender to stay completely behind Schaub and out of his peripheral vision. Schaub did not see him coming up behind him--Schaub escaped and thought he was farther ahead of the rush than that.

And cak is right--Schaub made plays under pressure that David Carr can only complete on XBox.

I am 100% satisfied with Schaub. 100%.

It's the left tackle and the Defensive Coordinator that I am upset with.
Old 10-14-2007   #76
copycat781
Rookie

Quote:

Since so many of you guys posted concerning the offensive PI non-call against Reggie Williams, and the delay of game non call, I will take your word for it. Obviously when at a game these things are not shown on the Jumbotrons. I never saw them personally. I can however comment on several holds by one Effriam Salam against one Paul Spicer that occurred right in front of officials that were ignored. I can also comment on a Head Linesmen that called a TD on a play that clearly had the ball come our about 18 inches before the player, or ball came close to the goal line. It was rightfully overturned, but that the play should have ever been in question is an atrocity to me. The clowns calling this game need to fired period. They had to huddle on nearly every decision.
Old 10-14-2007   #77
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
The clowns calling this game need to fired period. They had to huddle on nearly every decision.
Thanks to an honest Jags fan. That is all I am saying. The ultimate W v. L may or may not have been different, but the game would have been very different if well officiated. Horrible is an understatement.
Old 10-14-2007   #78
Bungster
Rookie

Quote:
One I saw was the spot on Matt Jones' reception on 3rd down. He clearly made it and was laying on the ground a yard in front of where they marked it as 6 inches short.

Jag fans need to shut their pieholes on excuses, whining, whatever. I have no idea whether the Texans would have won without the bad officiating and am not claiming they would have. The Jags played a good game today. But the officiating was an abomination and an embarrassment to the NFL--that is the point, whether it changed the outcome or not we will never know but that was horrid.
Losing SUCKS, doesn't it?

Blaming it external influences sucks even more. How sad.....
Old 10-14-2007   #79
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe I did not explain well enough. Schaub does a great job rolling out and buying time. Hell some of his best passes have been rolling out and finding a receiver open or directing them to a position. But as todays game wore on and the protection got worse he needed to adjust for the added pressure. Lets face it were down big and had to pass so the pressure increased. I will go back and watch that series again but it seemed to me he held that ball waaaay to long. I think thats part of why Sage always looks so good when he comes in late, he knows at that point the protection is failing and gets rid of the ball asap. Schaub had some good time early I am just not sure he adjusted to the weak protection late in the game when we were forced to pass. However you guys are usually pretty accurate so I will go back and watch that series again.

Support our troops
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007   #80
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I disagree.

Why don't YOU go out there and hustle on defense, shut them down, and then watch the refs GIVE them the first down time after time?
At some point, you develop a very real sense of "We're screwed."

And at some point, you lose the focus you would normally have when it came time to make the big play.

You would normally shake off a bad play that you had made earlier which caused the drive to be extended. But when you make the good play, and the ref says "Hold on a second!" And then he moves the chains for the offense on ticky tack calls and no-calls, well...you get more tired and less focused by the second.

Without the charity work from the refs, I think this game goes down to the wire on either side. And I can stand losing THAT sort of game, even with a few bad calls.

But the bad calls were at pivotal points in the game where the result was a TD shortly after the blown call.

A defense is only going to be able to do so much before they are too tired to do any more. And that's how MJD made those late runs: We were not tired from MJD, we were tired from running all game long on the fumes of high hopes that the refs would stop making bad calls that extended drives for the Jags.

The Bills got several gifts in the Oilers playoff game, and it came back on them by way of The Music City Miracle and the recent loss to the Cowboys.

I hate Dallas, badly, but I was happy they smacked one on Buffalo on Monday Night and left those fans feeling empty and shocked.

It all comes around, sooner or later.

I fully expect to see a very emotional Texans team next Sunday. Kubiak will use this as fuel somehow.
The Jags only got 3 first downs by penalty.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/boxsco...2007&week=REG6

It's at the top of the box score.

I agree. The refs were terrible.

It might not be to other fans on this board, but to me, its a little bit embarrassing to see everybody making excuses for why we lost.

Congrats to the Jags. They played a good game.

We have plenty of things that we need to work on to get ready for next week.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read