Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-12-2007   #1
Luv_ya_blue
1%er

Rep Power: 21296 Luv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking ESPN... "The AFC South is the most competitive division in the NFL..."

This morning on Sportscenter, ESPN analyst Sean Salsbury(sp) declared that the AFC South is "...the strongest and most competitive division in the NFL with all teams over 500 and all of those teams vying for a playoff spot..."

Sorry I don't have a link...but it was pretty cool to hear.

Although I REALLY don't like Salsbury(sp).

We're getting some props for the teams play.

I don't think that it's "about time" simply because we've never really played at this level. I know that a lot of guys have an axe to grind with ESPN for one reason or another, so to each his own.

I think that we're playing some good ball and people are taking notice. It's gonna be a good season to be a Texans fan!

Special Thanks to False Start for the awesome sig! U Rock!
Luv_ya_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007   #2
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: ESPN... "The AFC South is the most competitive division in the NFL..."

Rich Eisen, Rod Woodson and Marshall Faulk all said the AFC South is the toughest division so far too. On TA 4 downs.
Old 10-12-2007   #3
mootini
1stdown!!!!!

Rep Power: 5440 mootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: ESPN... "The AFC South is the most competitive division in the NFL..."

Weakest AFC East....Cheers to the AFC South!!! Let's beat up on the AFC West, and NFC South!!!!
mootini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007   #4
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Combined record of the AFC South is 14-4 (3 losses within the division, and only 1 loss outside our division)!
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I said it too....a while back. But I don't have a TV gig.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007   #6
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_ya_blue View Post
This morning on Sportscenter, ESPN analyst Sean Salsbury(sp) declared that the AFC South is "...the strongest and most competitive division in the NFL with all teams over 500 and all of those teams vying for a playoff spot..."

Sorry I don't have a link...but it was pretty cool to hear.

Although I REALLY don't like Salsbury(sp).

We're getting some props for the teams play.

I don't think that it's "about time" simply because we've never really played at this level. I know that a lot of guys have an axe to grind with ESPN for one reason or another, so to each his own.

I think that we're playing some good ball and people are taking notice. It's gonna be a good season to be a Texans fan!

I heard that too, but it was last night on SC when I heard it, they are probably re-airing the same show.

I think we have all known this for some time....I don't really like Salisbury or Schlerth either, they must have overheard Michael Smith and decided to repeat something intelligent for a change.

Old 10-12-2007   #7
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127251 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mootini View Post
Weakest AFC East....Cheers to the AFC South!!! Let's beat up on the AFC West, and NFC South!!!!
Actually, I'd like to see the AFC West and the NFC South beat up on the Jags, Titans, and Colts.
Old 10-12-2007   #8
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

For further evidence: here's a breakdown of each division's record outside of its own division.

AFC East: 3-9. Take out New England, and it's 0-9.
AFC South: 11-1. Grrrr on the one loss.
AFC Central: 7-6.
AFC West: 5-8.

NFC East: 8-2. Both losses to Green Bay.
NFC South: 3-8. Our division has clobbered them.
NFC Central: 6-5.
NFC West: 3-7.

Based on the records, the only division close to us is the NFC East, but when you look at who each has beaten, it is no contest.

The AFC South has:
Beaten the preseason NFC favorite (New Orleans) twice [Indy and Tenn].
Won at another NFC playoff contender (Carolina) while Delhomme was healthy [us].
Beaten Denver twice, once in Denver [Indy and Jax].
Beaten Tampa decisively [Indy].
Sure we have taken down some patsies like Atlanta (twice), Kansas City (twice) and Miami, but we've basically beaten all comers save our stinker in Atlanta.

In contrast, the NFC East has exactly one quality win, Dallas' win over Chicago. The rest of their wins have come against Detroit (Phi and Wash), Miami (Dall and Wash), St. Louis (Dall), Buffalo (Dall in a miracle) and the Jets (NYG). Four of those five teams are either winless (StL or Miami) or have one win (Jets, whose only win was Miami, and Buffalo, who've only beaten the Jets).

That could change, but right now, the premier division is the AFC South, without much question.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Talking heads make a killing at stating obvious assumptions. I'd give them a lot more credit if they had predicted the AFC South being so strong before the season started. As it is, they just look at the standings and then dress up in their Captain Obvious tights and cape.

Old 10-12-2007   #10
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
LOL
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007   #11
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You knew it because of our new and improved OL?
Old 10-12-2007   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

This off-season I was just one of the few saying that the Titans were going to be good while most of the fan base were laughing at them for their "horrible" off-season....I always thought that Fisher coached young teams better than older vet teams and I thought they had a great base core...plus they have a QB that is hard to stop on 3rd downs and in the 4th quarter, and makes the running game better than it would be without having to pay so much attention to stopping the VY....Look at Ced Benson and how he struggles without Young...I am starting to think he got more out of VY than anyone and that he should credit VY for his top 5 selection.

Old 10-12-2007   #13
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

So vinny have you got the Titants marked down for a play off run ?
Old 10-12-2007   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
So vinny have you got the Titants marked down for a play off run ?
probably wild card...I think two teams make it from the AFC South.

Old 10-12-2007   #15
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This off-season I was just one of the few saying that the Titans were going to be good while most of the fan base were laughing at them for their "horrible" off-season....I always thought that Fisher coached young teams better than older vet teams and I thought they had a great base core...plus they have a QB that is hard to stop on 3rd downs and in the 4th quarter, and makes the running game better than it would be without having to pay so much attention to stopping the VY....Look at Ced Benson and how he struggles without Young...I am starting to think he got more out of VY than anyone and that he should credit VY for his top 5 selection.
Fisher is a great coach. I like what they have done with their defense, even with Pac Man gone.

Rumors suggest that Ced Benson is a bit of a nickle head. Does stupid stuff that hasn't really hit the media, but not really as football focused as he should be and not a hard worker.

Look at what VY did with a receiving corp his junior year that most everyone said was going to do horrible with Roy Williams gone.

Just saying, don't mean to derail this post.
Old 10-12-2007   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Fisher is a great coach. I like what they have done with their defense, even with Pac Man gone.

Rumors suggest that Ced Benson is a bit of a nickle head. Does stupid stuff that hasn't really hit the media, but not really as football focused as he should be and not a hard worker.

Look at what VY did with a receiving corp his junior year that most everyone said was going to do horrible with Roy Williams gone.

Just saying, don't mean to derail this post.
Not that he wasn't a good solid NFL back but Travis Henry parlayed a big payday from being in a backfield with Young just like Benson did. It's not a coinkidinki that the Titans didn't run the ball well when Collins was their QB last year and all of a sudden were a powerhouse running team when Young came in. Young changes defensive schemes.

Old 10-12-2007   #17
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I've been thoroughly unimpressed with Tennessee's wins so far. While they apparently have a good defense, I can't by into an offense with bad WRs, a QB that can't throw accurately, and an average set of RBs. That Atlanta game was some of the ugliest football I've seen- and I'm a Texan fan!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I've been thoroughly unimpressed with Tennessee's wins so far. While they apparently have a good defense, I can't by into an offense with bad WRs, a QB that can't throw accurately, and an average set of RBs. That Atlanta game was some of the ugliest football I've seen- and I'm a Texan fan!
You've got to respect ... well... maybe not RESPECT... but you've got to at least fear a team that can and will keep fighting and win with just defense and an offense that only hits the occasional big play.

I'm not going to disrespect their wins because they've all been gutsy so far.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007   #19
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm actually very impressed with the Titans. If I'm not mistaken, since Vince took over they've only lost to the Colts and Patriots. Am I wrong about that?

EDIT - Ah, I forgot they lost to Baltimore and Jacksonville last year soon after he took over. Still... pretty impressive.

www.HoustonDiehards.com

Last edited by DiehardChris; 10-12-2007 at 02:39 PM.
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007   #20
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
I'm actually very impressed with the Titans. If I'm not mistaken, since Vince took over they've only lost to the Colts and Patriots. Am I wrong about that?
I think you're wrong about that.

They've also lost to the Jaguars and the Ravens.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read