Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-10-2007   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 51302 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mewelde Moore on the block. Texans showing interest?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

Quote:

The Minnesota Vikings should know within a week if their decision to be patient in trading a player they don't want will pay off.

Multiple sources said running back Mewelde Moore is expected to be traded by the NFL trade deadline on Oct. 16.

The St. Paul Pioneer Press reported that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers contacted Minnesota last week after losing running back Carnell "Cadillac" Williams to a right patellar tendon injury on Sept. 30 in a victory over the Carolina Panthers. Tampa Bay's need for a running back increased when it lost Michael Pittman for six to eight weeks with a broken right fibula during Sunday's loss to the Indianapolis Colts. The Bucs are down to running back Earnest Graham.

However, the difference in what the Bucs have offered and what the Vikings want is significant. Tampa Bay offered a sixth-round pick for Moore, who has been inactive for most of the two seasons under coach Brad Childress, and is behind backs Chester Taylor and Adrian Peterson on the depth chart.

Still, Minnesota has asked for a third-round pick for Moore, who was originally a fourth-round pick in 2004 and showed flashes of potential in his first two seasons. The Vikings are currently hoping the Bucs will give in to desperation or that a few other teams, such as the Denver Broncos, Houston Texans or Green Bay Packers, end up in the bidding for Moore.
more in the article. What would you think about trying to bring him in? I wonder if a 5th rounder could do it. No way would I ever give up a 3rd.

He's got OK speed and is a career 5.0 yards per carry guy. That would certainly be an upgrade over what we have now

career stats:
254 rushes for 1243 yards (4.9 ypc) with 1 TD
116 catches for 1093 yards (9.4 ypc) with 3 TD

not bad
Old 10-10-2007   #2
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mewelde Moore on the block. Texans showing interest?

I don't know......I'm nervous about giving up any picks and I haven't followed his career to know anything about him either. What kind of shape can he be in, being that he hasn't seen starting game action in 2 years? Would he be ready to step in and play? Is he the prototypical one cut-n-go RB we are looking for?
Old 10-10-2007   #3
Exithios
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Exithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

more in the article. What would you think about trying to bring him in? I wonder if a 5th rounder could do it. No way would I ever give up a 3rd.

He's got OK speed and is a career 5.0 yards per carry guy. That would certainly be an upgrade over what we have now

career stats:
254 rushes for 1243 yards (4.9 ypc) with 1 TD
116 catches for 1093 yards (9.4 ypc) with 3 TD

not bad
I do not think that Minnesota would take less than a 4th in return for him seeing as A) that is what they gave up for him in the draft and B) he would likely become a starter for another franchise without an already strong running game.

I would offer them a 5th and a PTBNL.

My $0.02
Exithios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #4
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyting higher then a 6th is to much, and I think the dreaded "player to be named later" is only a baseball bit.

Now if the Vikings wanted to trade one crap RB, say Gado, for another, Moore; I might consider it.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #5
Exithios
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Exithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Anyting higher then a 6th is to much, and I think the dreaded "player to be named later" is only a baseball bit.

Now if the Vikings wanted to trade one crap RB, say Gado, for another, Moore; I might consider it.
In a heart beat.
Old 10-10-2007   #6
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 28360 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey guys

Remember back in the day, people were all about Minnesota's three headed running attack with Moore, Bennett, and Smith

And they were gonna shake things up

Well... that's the NFL for you.
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #7
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

A third round pick for Minnesotas 3rd string running back. Lets stop and consider what kind of guy ends up third on the depth chart.

Hmmm.

I don't think so.

I would not give up a first day pick for this guy. I think the 5th is just about right. I'd be hard pressed to even consider giving up a 4th.

We could sign Techno Viking for league minimum and give up no draft picks at all.
Old 10-10-2007   #8
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Also, the body of work is not that high that you can say he will run for that on any other team. The Vikins are hoping someone will be desperate enough to cut off the nose in spite of their face, like they did when they traded for Hershal Walker. Honestly, I do not think anyone is that dumb.
Old 10-10-2007   #9
Exithios
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
A third round pick for Minnesotas 3rd string running back. Lets stop and consider what kind of guy ends up third on the depth chart.

Hmmm.

I don't think so.

I would not give up a first day pick for this guy. I think the 5th is just about right. I'd be hard pressed to even consider giving up a 4th.

We could sign Techno Viking for league minimum and give up no draft picks at all.
I agree with you 100%. The question is going to be if they are just fishing like the Chargers did with Michael Turner or if they are seriously looking to open up that spot on their roster for a reasonable price.

Personnally, I don't see this as being another SD fishing expedition due to the simple fact that Turner is the back-up as well as a situational back where, on the other hand, AD and Chester Taylor have solidifed their positions as the starter and back-up leaving their 3rd stringer that draws almost as much value as their back-up (who would likely be a starter on half of the current NFL rosters). I think he will likely fetch a 5th with an add-on unless Green Bay or Tampa get desperate and offer up more than he is worth.

My $0.02
Old 10-10-2007   #10
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

I aslo read on ESPN that Chester Taylor was also on the trading block. I'd rather have Taylor any day over Moore. But the price would be higher than moore's. I wouldn't give a third for moore. That would only leave us with a first round pick on the first day.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #11
Exithios
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytex View Post
I aslo read on ESPN that Chester Taylor was also on the trading block. I'd rather have Taylor any day over Moore. But the price would be higher than moore's. I wouldn't give a third for moore. That would only leave us with a first round pick on the first day.
I am not as concerned with the loss of a pick if it brings in someone of equal or better value for the long term. Chester Taylor would be a popular pickup but I am a little concerned with his inability to stay on the field at such a young age. I don't doubt that someone would fork up a 3rd for Chester.

My $0.02
Old 10-10-2007   #12
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 18146 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

Totally ub-related but, why do I get the strange feeling that Tatum Bell is going to end up here?
MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #13
Exithios
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyTExan View Post
Totally ub-related but, why do I get the strange feeling that Tatum Bell is going to end up here?
You have been spying on me haven't you...

I have had this feeling for a while now. He knows the Broncos system (which we don't seem to be running much of this year but could be reimplemented for next season) and he would definately be an upgrade over Dayne. I wouldn't mind it too much if it were for minimal cost but he is a fumbler which means he needs to be coached up even after being a starter elsewhere.

My $0.02
Old 10-10-2007   #14
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 51302 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would take either in a heartbeat. I'd prefer Moore, as he seems to be a better threat in the receiving department, but Bell has nice speed
Old 10-10-2007   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Moore is nothing more than a 3rd down back....there is a reason that the Vikings have drafted Fason, Peterson and signed Chester Taylor to the team all while Moore has been on the roster....I'll pass.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #16
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I like Moore. Not just because he is a Tulane guy, but he is actually a good running back. Whenever he gets a lot of touches, he performs really well. I remember as a rookie, he killed us for almost 180 (about 90 rushing, 90 receiving) yards from scrimmage in his first game as a starter.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...6878&year=2004
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read