Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-10-2007   #21
Twitch-Houston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 290 Twitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: No fine for Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Good story. I'm glad you wrote it because I've been talking about TJ's personality to my coworkers this week. When I still lived in Houston and worked for Apple, TJ came in quite a bit. He was always very laid back and nice to talk to. I challenge anyone to say they have never blown up and said things they regret. Plus he uses Apple computers so it's just another plus in my book...ha ha

Anyway, just my two cents about TJ.
Twitch-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #22
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

i'd be upset too if somebody did something that could end my career. I'd still be pissed. If you asked me about it 3 days later...still. I feel bad that a 35 yard loss got turned into a 15 yard gain because of emotion.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #23
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

That was a great story TC. I'd rep you in here but I "must wait to give rep....."
Old 10-10-2007   #24
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Anyone get the feeling that TJ won't be a Texan in 2008?

I can see this FO moving him at some point during the off-season. It's a shame, IMO, but they have always been a bit hardline about negative press towards the Texans.
I don't see that at all unless his production is unsatisfactory. It's one thing to avoid bringing new problems in, but quite another to get rid of a solid player whose "misconduct" has only resulted in press stories--not all of them negative.
Old 10-10-2007   #25
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Why? It was a legal hit...a reason they didn't throw the flag of course. z While it isn't considered kosher to gun for the knees, I think it's obvious that Green didn't intend to knock himself out with Johnson's knee. When you see a man that much bigger than you and you have to block him you always go low. Ask Isaiah Robertson.
Agreed. They are talking about it on Rome right now.
Old 10-10-2007   #26
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I don't see that at all unless his production is unsatisfactory. It's one thing to avoid bringing new problems in, but quite another to get rid of a solid player whose "misconduct" has only resulted in press stories--not all of them negative.
yeah, but he dropped an F-bomb. It really hurt Mr. McNair's ears when he heard it.

Just sayin', with the focus on 'good character' that this team has historically displayed, it would not surprise me.

Speculation on my part, nothing more or less.
Old 10-10-2007   #27
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Agreed. They are talking about it on Rome right now.
The National media take is that he stood over him and pointed his finger and cursed him at him like a thug and wasn't just waking past him. The media didn't like the real time footage so most of them just show freeze frames or show the slow-motion captions that make it look like he stood there.....but that's what American's seem to like in our LCD age of media...sensationalism.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-10-2007   #28
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The National media take is that he stood over him and pointed his finger and cursed him at him like a thug and wasn't just waking past him. The media didn't like the real time footage so most of them just show freeze frames or show the slow-motion captions that make it look like he stood there.....but that's what American's seem to like in our LCD age of media...sensationalism.
Don't blame this on our age. William Randolph Hearst made millions on this sort of thing a looooooong time ago.

Sensational sells. Always has, alway swill.

OK. That was originally a typo and then I put it back in.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #29
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Without a doubt. Right now they are just taking reactions of people appalled and that Trent Green was just trying to make a play. I didn't like the reaction of TJ personally..just how it hit me...but I don't think Trent Green just tried real hard and didn't take out TJs knees. People act like players crackback and take out knees all the time. I've heard favre twice already.
Old 10-10-2007   #30
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

i can imagine it now- we get rid of travis and draft a DT with our 1st rounder
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #31
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought Mark Schlereth was smarter than that. He's comparing Green's block to an offensive linemen's 'chop' blocking a D-lineman.

Apples??? Hello, I'm oranges.
Old 10-10-2007   #32
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I thought Mark Schlereth was smarter than that. He's comparing Green's block to an offensive linemen's 'chop' blocking a D-lineman.

Yeah I'm surprised too. He also compared it to him taking on a guy after an interception....hello, he wouldn't dive at his knees.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 10-10-2007 at 11:15 PM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #33
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Anyone get the feeling that TJ won't be a Texan in 2008?

I can see this FO moving him at some point during the off-season. It's a shame, IMO, but they have always been a bit hardline about negative press towards the Texans.
I think TJ will be a Texan until his contract runs out, and probably afterwards. Kubiak was supportive of TJ, despite not being pleased about his reaction. The media has overblown TJ's reputation. If what the Chronicle has been saying is all true, there's no way Kubiak would have a guy like that on the team. Linemen hate low blocks, I don't blame him for his reaction.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #34
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post
at first, when i read this, my immediate reaction was "wtf? no way what a dumb question"

and then i thought about it a little and came back to it. it's a very good question, and really i don't know how to answer it completely. uncle bob seems to want only the 'good moral fiber' type on his team. but remember dunta came up firing at the golden boy last year and though i don't have anyway of knowing if anything was said to him he's still around.

add to it that tj has been pretty decent this year, a plus instead of a minus. if he continues to have a solid year, and duh, no more press frenzy feeding comments then i have to believe he's still here next year. personally, i think he was totally justified in his on field reaction...and some of what he said after the game. i think if he would've just said something like, "hey, he went for a cheap shot and got the wrong end of the stick. i'm glad i'm not as seriously injured as i could've been, and i hope he's alright, but it was still a pretty underhanded thing to do." apologizing for his reaction might of smoothed it over but i wouldn't do it if i were in his shoes...
yeah, I don't disagree. It's just food for thought on my part.

But I think it's a big difference to compare D.Rob's comments about Carr last off-season with what TJ did on the field and especially in the locker room (after the game). D.Rob was venting on a situation that he probably had a little more insight than the rest of us at the time. Plus, he's one of our best players. TJ does not have that particular luxury.

While many of us certainly understand the reasons behind his actions, the simple fact remains that the Texans are getting a lot of negative pub on the national circuit about this incident. And regardless of what fans think or support, Uncle Bob is very sensitive to marketing angles. I have little doubt that he does not want his franchise to have the 'thug' tag like the Raiders carry. He has tended to go for the Boy Scout angle more often than not, even to our detriment sometimes.
Old 10-10-2007   #35
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1158 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
I think being a bust is punishment enough for TJ.
DEFINE BUST
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #36
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
yeah, I don't disagree. It's just food for thought on my part.

But I think it's a big difference to compare D.Rob's comments about Carr last off-season with what TJ did on the field and especially in the locker room (after the game). D.Rob was venting on a situation that he probably had a little more insight than the rest of us at the time. Plus, he's one of our best players. TJ does not have that particular luxury.

While many of us certainly understand the reasons behind his actions, the simple fact remains that the Texans are getting a lot of negative pub on the national circuit about this incident. And regardless of what fans think or support, Uncle Bob is very sensitive to marketing angles. I have little doubt that he does not want his franchise to have the 'thug' tag like the Raiders carry. He has tended to go for the Boy Scout angle more often than not, even to our detriment sometimes.

I think that is a fair comment.

Though if TJ brings it on the field, all that goes away.

The Texans locker room is not filled with too many big personalities. TJ is definitely one of those, and sometimes like this time, to his detriment.

I liked the way that Kubiak handled this though. Basically, he dealt with it inhouse, talked to the league some, and moved on to try to not make it a distraction. If you don't give much for the news cycle, then they have nothing to talk about.
Old 10-10-2007   #37
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Can anyone confirm if the Olinemen of Miami continued to take shots at Travis for the rest of the game?

On the Fins board someone mentioned that Satele and Hadnot were taking shots at Johnson's knees for the game and that resulted in us sitting Travis for most of the game for his safety.

If so, then that would kind of show where his post game rant came from.

Also I think he's here next year, I think we want him here next year unless we have another plug of a DT to play for him. I mean the guy still has potential I am not sure getting rid of him makes our dline any better, IMO it makes it worse. He's just not going to have sexy stats as a DT though but IMO he has played solid for us this year.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #38
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

Mark Schlereth had 29 surgeries...he thinks everyone should have knee surgery....he likes company.

Old 10-10-2007   #39
junior
Veteran

Rep Power: 19 junior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famer

i cracked johnson for being an ***** on the field after the play and a bigger ***** after the game, but his actions didnt constitute a fine.

just like the block, just because we dont like the comments after the game they arent against the rules. stupid comments dont get you fined as long as you dont mention referees or the nfl.

i didnt know that idio t was a bad word here.
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #40
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post

i didnt know that idio t was a bad word here.
Once I took it out most of the personal attacks went way down...it's not like I consider it a bad word, but it helps us keep attracting smarter fans since we don't have as many people calling each other idiots (you can type in 'idiots' since people don't tend to call someone an idiots) on an ongoing mindless basis.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read