Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-09-2007   #1
RamRod
Rookie

Default The Vanilla defense

After the last two games this defense is really starting to bore me.I am just a ignorant fan who only knows what they tell me.I totally understand the concept of the 4-3 I THINK. Im also aware of our weak secondary,lack of front 4 pass rush ,and the fact that were down to 3string safeties. IMHO I really see absolutely no creativity what so ever!.This is where my ignorance comes in.IT seems to me like we have maybe 5 different sets we run.its almost like the teams weve played recently know what were gonna do . Why dont we blitz our secondary more?Its not like faggins covers anybody anyway.it seamms like a occasional duntae blitz would open things up so later he could BAIT THE QB. IM very dissapointed in richard smith so far.its like were still playing preseason.what do you guys think?
RamRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #2
ChildressTitanMan
Veteran

Rep Power: 316 ChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respectedChildressTitanMan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Vanilla defense

Sometimes a coach cant call the plays he wants to because he doesn't think his players can get it done.

Vanilla/conservative defense is frustrating to watch but it can help out a weak pass rush or a struggling secondary. Better to play safe than get burned taking chances.
ChildressTitanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

We are middle of the pack...I think we are 9th in the league in rushing defense and 15th in passing defense despite below par talent in our secondary. I'd like to see a more aggressive front 7 and for us to mix things up early in the games instead of waiting till the end but the team is winning games and we are taking steps to respectability from perennial doormats.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #4
RamRod
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildressTitanMan View Post
Sometimes a coach cant call the plays he wants to because he doesn't think his players can get it done.

Vanilla/conservative defense is frustrating to watch but it can help out a weak pass rush or a struggling secondary. Better to play safe than get burned taking chances.
maybe im expecting to much.i just want them to mix it up a little bit.i just think dudes like bouelware would get there confidence up.
Old 10-09-2007   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamRod View Post
maybe im expecting to much.i just want them to mix it up a little bit.i just think dudes like bouelware would get there confidence up.
He played quite a bit...till he got lit up like a Christmas tree and we haven't seen much of him since.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #6
RamRod
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
He played quite a bit...till he got lit up like a Christmas tree and we haven't seen much of him since.
thats why id like to see them sent more often. maybe get something out of them. .....i guess the bottom line is your not gonna get to the qb if you dont send them.the reason i keep mentionig the secondary is so far i dont think were doing a good job of disguising our blitz...when we do blitz.and that falls back to coaching
Old 10-09-2007   #7
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

The first 3 games of the season, we only blitzed a few times. We got sacks because our coverage was good enough to allow our linemen time to get to the QB.

These last 2 games of the season, we've blitzed a lot. We haven't gotten that many sacks because the other team has read our blitz and picked it up or hit the hot receivers. Harrington did a great job at that even though the book on him is that he gets rattled when facing the blitz.

We only allowed 160 yards to the passing game this past Sunday. We only allowed 6 points in the second half. In the Atlanta game, we only allowed 6 points in the second half.

I'd like to get to the QB more and I'd like to see more turnovers forced. But, really, the defense could be playing a lot worse than it is.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-10-2007   #8
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Well I just got blasted on the college and draft thread over this. The fact of the matter is in the last two seasons...when they send six...no one gets there. So they are running twists between the De and tackle and sending five. I don't know what you expect them to do with the tallent they have available. I mean if they send the guys and they can't get there...why run the risk ? How many times do we need to see that they can not get there ? Uness you are advocating running the conner or a safty and leaving Petey alone on the island ?
I mean how exciting do you want it to get ?

Quote:
We only allowed 160 yards to the passing game this past Sunday. We only allowed 6 points in the second half. In the Atlanta game, we only allowed 6 points in the second half.
I don't know if it was a function of us plaing better or Cam calling off the dogs with Brown on those sceens. I have no idea why he did that. They were killing us with that.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 10-10-2007 at 01:48 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #9
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
The first 3 games of the season, we only blitzed a few times. We got sacks because our coverage was good enough to allow our linemen time to get to the QB.

These last 2 games of the season, we've blitzed a lot. We haven't gotten that many sacks because the other team has read our blitz and picked it up or hit the hot receivers. Harrington did a great job at that even though the book on him is that he gets rattled when facing the blitz.

I'd like to get to the QB more and I'd like to see more turnovers forced. But, really, the defense could be playing a lot worse than it is.

You mention the second half and that's what I noticed. Why can't these guys go out the first half and have that same type of dominance? Is it Kubes understanding and adjusting to the opponent better? Or is it the players realizing that they are in a ballgame at halftime and they need to play better?
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read