Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-12-2007   #161
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Oh no! A "teal-out"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mootini View Post
Bill, I agree...I think it's because Jville is "growing up"...what I mean by that, It's a young franchise that has a lot of people moving here with ties to their old NFL teams. The college football idealism is greatly viewed here. The Jags seem to get the snubb, especially when the team goes though the losing years. This Sunday's black out really has me upset because here is the Jags playing solid football, coming off 3 streight wins, 2 of them at Denver and KC. Now, A divisonal rival, who plays us tuff every time...knowing it's going to be a good game and a possible payback game..the fans can't sell the minium tickets for a black out. What? Everyone saving their $ for the Colts next week? LAME!!!! I do predict the stadium will have atleast 60k on Sunday..Why these people did not buy their tickets before Thursday blackout rule??? Anyway, glad you guys understand what's going on. Here's to a great game!!!
Several good points..

I know I have joked about All-Tarp stadium and ribbed your fans about it, but the fact is, it's a good place to watch a game. I know that the Jaguars and the city put a lot of money into the stadium to upgrade it from its old Gator Bowl days.... But geez... And I know its not a financial deal. There's plenty of money in and around Jacksonville. Good luck to you and your die-hard fans, because (as TexanSam had said), I've enjoyed the rivalry (for the most part)...
Old 10-12-2007   #162
mootini
1stdown!!!!!

Rep Power: 5440 mootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstars View Post
Did anyone else notice that Del Rio suggested we were better than the Titans? I know WE knew that, I just didn't think that anyone else did.

It's called RESPECT...Texans have earned that from us Jags.
mootini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007   #163
mootini
1stdown!!!!!

Rep Power: 5440 mootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Several good points..

I know I have joked about All-Tarp stadium and ribbed your fans about it, but the fact is, it's a good place to watch a game. I know that the Jaguars and the city put a lot of money into the stadium to upgrade it from its old Gator Bowl days.... But geez... And I know its not a financial deal. There's plenty of money in and around Jacksonville. Good luck to you and your die-hard fans, because (as TexanSam had said), I've enjoyed the rivalry (for the most part)...

Bill, Your complete right..plenty of money "OUTSIDE" Duval county...Is there any marketing? NONE....Better yet drive downdown town Jville, you'll see very little advertising/billboards for the Jags. That outside marketing would really help the blackout cause. I also think corporate backing has eased off a lot in the last 4-5 years. Shoot, Winn Dixie used to give out free tickets!!! Another problem the Stadium does not have a corporate sponser name..example ALLTALK..LOL
Old 10-12-2007   #164
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
As much as I dislike the Kitty's, I hope they stay in Jacksonville. I like the rivalry we're building with them and would hate to lose it if they had to be relocated elsewhere.
I agree with that.

I'd really like for the fans in J-Ville to get behind that team. It's a good team.

Not as good as OURS, of course...

Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007   #165
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

The reason why corporate sponsorship has fallen in Jacksonville is because there aren't any corporations there anyway.

Quote:
Bill, I agree...I think it's because Jville is "growing up"...what I mean by that, It's a young franchise that has a lot of people moving here with ties to their old NFL teams. The college football idealism is greatly viewed here. The Jags seem to get the snubb, especially when the team goes though the losing years. This Sunday's black out really has me upset because here is the Jags playing solid football, coming off 3 streight wins, 2 of them at Denver and KC. Now, A divisonal rival, who plays us tuff every time...knowing it's going to be a good game and a possible payback game..the fans can't sell the minium tickets for a black out. What? Everyone saving their $ for the Colts next week? LAME!!!! I do predict the stadium will have atleast 60k on Sunday..Why these people did not buy their tickets before Thursday blackout rule??? Anyway, glad you guys understand what's going on. Here's to a great game!!!
Not entirely true. The Texans are an even newer franchise, but don't have blackouts. It is probably because of Houston's status as the number six market. Once J'Ville gets larger, I think they can support the Jags, but the city is still pretty small now, so it will be over ten years when that happens (it isn't like J'Ville is growing at some fast rate).
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007   #166
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 2317 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

So where are the Jaguars moving San Antonio or Los Angeles? I hope its LA cause Id rather have an NFC team. Jacksonville is floridian for "who would live there"
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007   #167
mootini
1stdown!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurstexanstros View Post
So where are the Jaguars moving San Antonio or Los Angeles? I hope its LA cause Id rather have an NFC team. Jacksonville is floridian for "who would live there"

Good one!!! I love N. Florida, stay away!!!
Sponsored links
Old 10-12-2007   #168
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurstexanstros View Post
Quote:
Good one!!! I love N. Florida, stay away!!!
Isn't also called South New York?
Old 10-12-2007   #169
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's a young franchise that has a lot of people moving here with ties to their old NFL teams. The college football idealism is greatly viewed here. The Jags seem to get the snubb, especially when the team goes though the losing years.
It's just part of being in FL. I went to games in JAX and MIA during my years in Florida, and both teams had problems selling out the stadium. True, they weren't blowing away competition on the field, but even in Dolphin-dominated Miami, selling out wasn't guaranteed--unless they were playing a NY team or the Patriots. But go to an "Eagles bar" down there on Sundays and it's packed.

You hit one part of the problem right on...it seems like most FL people have come there already with team loyalties and don't buy into the "love the one you're with" mentality. Tons of Eagles and Steelers fans in South Florida, in addition to the NY/NE fans.

Maybe there's just too much else going on in Florida when it comes to recreation. Multiple World Series runs (including 2 rings!) for the Marlins since the franchise was founded, and they're drawing 375 fans to a game? Pathetic. And the Yankees can consider every trip to Tampa Bay a home game.

Enjoy the game...hope your team loses, but I hope you have a good time!
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007   #170
copycat781
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
this article give a decent insight into the woes of the jags organization.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DG

from the article- "Ten or 15 years from now, this market will be one of the better markets. It's one of the fastest-growing markets in the southeastern United States."

Yes, in 10 years this might be a wonderful NFL town.

The problem is with what happens until then.

"I think they have a medium-term survival problem," said Bonham, the sports

marketing consultant. "Ultimately, the market will grow to sustain them, but for the next five years the Jaguars will face significant issues."

it looks like the market in jacksonville is growing quickly but the question remains will the market grow enough before the team gives up on it and is sold to someone who would move it to LA?

That is the first time I have seen a writer not from here get it right. Nice article, and nice find.
Old 10-12-2007   #171
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Question...........like the tree in the forest question............when J-vill is blacked out.........does anyone in J-vill notice?

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007   #172
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 9887 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
I'm guessing Mexico City or Toronto

I don't believe they would move to Toronto. There are always plenty of empty seats at Argos (CFL) games.

Also the high taxes are a problem. The Blue Jays & Raptors got around this by paying the players in $US. That worked when the $CAN was worth $.80 or so, but now the players will actually get less money. It will be interesting to see if some players want out in the next couple of years
Giant Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007   #173
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

I will never be in favor of any team moving. I hope the Texans put a real butt kicking on the Jags but I hope their fan base continues to grow to a point where the tarps come back off and their fans no longer have to hear about the team moving to LA, San Antonio or anywhere else.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007   #174
2BCF
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24608 2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
I'm guessing Mexico City or Toronto
Ha, Los Gatos Locos!
2BCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007   #175
mootini
1stdown!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Question...........like the tree in the forest question............when J-vill is blacked out.........does anyone in J-vill notice?

Oh, Yes we notice and for the ture fans, it hits right below the belt.
Old 10-13-2007   #176
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overalls View Post
I will never be in favor of any team moving. I hope the Texans put a real butt kicking on the Jags but I hope their fan base continues to grow to a point where the tarps come back off and their fans no longer have to hear about the team moving to LA, San Antonio or anywhere else.

True.

I must admit to some bitterness when I visited Jacksonville during the time Houston didn't have a team and couldn't fathom why this dinky place had a team and Houston didn't.
Old 10-13-2007   #177
duvalbill
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Isn't also called South New York?
You're thinking of South Florida. All the snowbirds from up north eventually end up living in Miami, Boca, West Palm or Ft. Lauderdale. Thankfully, Jacksonville has been mostly immune from the transplants, but I'm sure our time will come.

Last edited by duvalbill; 10-13-2007 at 02:06 PM.
duvalbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007   #178
YellerLotYeller
nice marmot

Rep Power: 187 YellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Shoot, Winn Dixie used to give out free tickets!!!
Is that near the Piggly Wiggly?
YellerLotYeller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read