Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-11-2007   #101
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74774 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Oh no! A "teal-out"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I'd add Vegas and Mexico City to that list as well.
I thought about both, but concerning Vegas I'm not sure the NFL wants the gambling whispers (though let's face it -- the NFL wouldn't be a tenth as popular as it is without Vegas). I also wonder about whether Mexico City has enough average fans that can afford regular season tickets, and whether or not any players would want to play there. I could see them having a tough time attracting FA's.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007   #102
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't mind making one roady a year to Honolulu
Old 10-11-2007   #103
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I honestly think the NFL is going to find a way to get a team into Mexico City. They are really pushing for an international audience, especially with the exportation of REGULAR season games. Heck, even the NFL Network has an all Spanish version (the commercial is pretty funny, too!).

I really like the balance of 32 teams and fear that they are going to over-expand. I'd rather see a team moved over more expansion teams.
Old 10-11-2007   #104
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
Birmingham
Toronto
Portland
Salt Lake
San Antonio
Oklahoma City
Alabama Admirals?
Ontario Ocelots?
Portland Panzerfaust?
Utah Lillywhites?
San Antonio Armadillos?
Oklahoma Boring?

so bored.
Old 10-11-2007   #105
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I thought about both, but concerning Vegas I'm not sure the NFL wants the gambling whispers (though let's face it -- the NFL wouldn't be a tenth as popular as it is without Vegas). I also wonder about whether Mexico City has enough average fans that can afford regular season tickets, and whether or not any players would want to play there. I could see them having a tough time attracting FA's.
Mexico City is what 3rd largest city in the world...I think they can find 60,000 to 80,000 fans for 8 games. Didn't they get over 100,000 for the Arizona v Dallas game a couple of years ago?
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007   #106
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74774 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

I could certainly see a team in Mexico City sometime soon -- it is the largest city in North America, after all. I think the NFL would be wise however to build youth football programs in Mexico before moving a team there though. Soccer in the US didn't really take off until there was a large youth soccer program up and running here. When Mexican kids grow up loving and playing football there will be a definite market to attract. Until then, I'm not sure there is one there.

I suspect that the NFL Network en espanol is largely to appeal to Mexicans living in the US, since they are a MASSIVE demographic that is traditionally sports crazed.
Old 10-11-2007   #107
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Mexico City is what 3rd largest city in the world...I think they can find 60,000 to 80,000 fans for 8 games. Didn't they get over 100,000 for the Arizona v Dallas game a couple of years ago?
London/Barcelona/Berlin are HUGE cities. Surely they can get 60-80k a game right? Oh, I guess all those millions of people have to actually like football for it to succeed.

I'm not saying the NFL could never work in these cities -- just that they need to start from the ground up. Merely sticking a pro team there will appeal to American ex-pats and idle curios fans for one game. Until they grow up playing/seeing/feeling the game, a pro team will fail there.
Sponsored links
Old 10-11-2007   #108
real

Quote:
Until they grow up playing/seeing/feeling the game, a pro team will fail there.

I don't think that's neccessarily true...

But it sounds good...

Dallas' Hockey team seems to be doing pretty well...

I don't think many grew up playing/seeing/feeling that game...
Old 10-11-2007   #109
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
London/Barcelona/Berlin are HUGE cities. Surely they can get 60-80k a game right? Oh, I guess all those millions of people have to actually like football for it to succeed.

I'm not saying the NFL could never work in these cities -- just that they need to start from the ground up. Merely sticking a pro team there will appeal to American ex-pats and idle curios fans for one game. Until they grow up playing/seeing/feeling the game, a pro team will fail there.
Yeah I quess so, to bad the NFL game in London still hasn't sold out yet, right?

Germany basically keep the NFLe afloat for a few years, getting around 30,000 fans to each game every week.

And you are still ignoring the fact that the record attendance for in NFL game was in Mexico City, more then 100,000. COuld you imagine the revune from concessions for the 8 home games. Money makes anything possible.
Old 10-11-2007   #110
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post
I don't think that's neccessarily true...

But it sounds good...

Dallas' Hockey team seems to be doing pretty well...

I don't think many grew up playing/seeing/feeling that game...
Yea but hockey is still at least familiar...and kids do grow up playing forms of roller hockey.

When I was in the UK..its about about soccer and forms of Gaelic football/rugby. I don't think many people over there know anything about the game nor really care to.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007   #111
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Until?--how about they already are. Whereas Europeans see very little NFL and hardly participate at all, in Mexico there are quite a few games available and there are youth and college leagues. Not the same at all.
Old 10-11-2007   #112
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Quite a few Dallas citizens did move there from the north, actually. They did grow up watching hockey, or at least their dad did. And there are a few other extenuating circumstances that I would bring up.

Dallas wins. How's the NHL looking in Miami/Nashville/Atlanta/Raleigh/etc. etc. etc.?

The per capita income is a heckuva lot higher in Dallas than Mexico City

It's a lot easier to sell out a 17,000 seat stadium than an 80,000 seat one.

Especially when 90% of those seats are corporate season ticket packages.
Old 10-11-2007   #113
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Hoth

1 regular season game can easily sell out by (as I said) appealing to American ex-pats and curious citizens who want to see a game. If you honestly believe that the same people willing to spend $30 bucks to see what this NFL thing is all about are going to shell out hundreds of dollars for a season ticket...

As to the German teams -- you are aware there are thousands of American servicemen in Germany, right? That would be the reason that by the end half of NFLe's teams were in Germany. Appealing to American ex-pats overseas again.

And I am honestly not aware of a strong NFL youth program in Mexico. I'd be very interested in a link because this is the way I think football should be spread overseas (rather than by setting up minor leagues in foreign markets that have no history with the sport).
Old 10-11-2007   #114
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
the record attendance for in NFL game was in Mexico City, more then 100,000. COuld you imagine the revune from concessions for the 8 home games.
And the record Super Bowl attendance was in a city that could not support an NFL team during the regular season.

One game is not predictive. Just because 100,000 people bought a ticket to one game doesn't mean they would commit themselves to a 30 year PSL license, a multibillion dollar tax funded stadium, and continually renewing season tickets.
Old 10-11-2007   #115
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And I am honestly not aware of a strong NFL youth program in Mexico. I'd be very interested in a link because this is the way I think football should be spread overseas (rather than by setting up minor leagues in foreign markets that have no history with the sport).
Obviously not strong like here, but:

Quote:
Yes, there is football in Mexico, and it is followed passionately by a growing number of fans, thanks to cable television, heavy promotion by the NFL and private universities that have brought U.S.-style recruiting and training to the college league.

ESPN began showing Mexican college games on its Spanish-language network four years ago, broadcast television shows two NFL games a week, and billboards and buses in Mexico City now advertise the Super Bowl.

The college teams are getting big-name sponsors like Coca-Cola, Reebok and Powerbar. The NFL has started a flag football league for teenagers, and a Mexican team won the world championship in Japan last year. There's even a Football Hall of Fame in Mexico City that opened in 2001.

Still, the NFL has high hopes for Mexico, saying its polls indicate there are 20 million Mexicans who follow American football to some degree. It opened an office in Mexico City in 1998 and launched a Web site for Mexican fans in September.

The roots of American-style football go back 100 years in Mexico, though there is debate over whether the first game was played in Veracruz or farther north.

The National Autonomous University of Mexico and the National Polytechnic Institute have both had teams for 70 years, and their annual matchup draws tens of thousands of fans.
Link
Old 10-11-2007   #116
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
a multibillion dollar tax funded stadium,
Like it would cost that much to build in Mexico.
Old 10-11-2007   #117
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
Hoth

1 regular season game can easily sell out by (as I said) appealing to American ex-pats and curious citizens who want to see a game. If you honestly believe that the same people willing to spend $30 bucks to see what this NFL thing is all about are going to shell out hundreds of dollars for a season ticket...

As to the German teams -- you are aware there are thousands of American servicemen in Germany, right? That would be the reason that by the end half of NFLe's teams were in Germany. Appealing to American ex-pats overseas again.

Having spent some of my childhood in London I assure there are not enough American Ex-Pats in the city to fill Wembely Stadium, nor are there enough to cause the tickets to sell out in under an hour. There is an intrest in the NFL in parts of Europe, hell I watched the 35-3 game against Buffalo from my parent's living room, the only difference was that it was on delay. And that was well over a decade ago.

If you had ever watched on the of the NFLe games you would have noticed that the majority of the crowds were German. There were several stories on it (how the average German was becoming a fan of the NFL) about a year ago.

As for an intrest in the NFL in Mexico, as infantrycak pointed out there are youth programs already in place in Mexico.

I also think that we are all (except for maybe infantrycak ) missing the effect that satelite TV has had on the world wide audience of the NFL. Hell, I think there are even football leagues in Japan now.
Old 10-11-2007   #118
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Like it would cost that much to build in Mexico.
yeah, they've already got a construction crew.

Old 10-11-2007   #119
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin229 View Post
Yea but hockey is still at least familiar...and kids do grow up playing forms of roller hockey.

When I was in the UK..its about about soccer and forms of Gaelic football/rugby. I don't think many people over there know anything about the game nor really care to.
I thought we were talking Mexico...

There is American football in Mexico...

Otherwise Casteneda would not be on this team...
Old 10-11-2007   #120
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Thank you for the link! That is very exciting news and is exactly how I feel the NFL should be going about this. This quote, however, is telling:

"It's unlikely the NFL will put a pro team in Mexico anytime soon, league spokesman Pete Abitante said."

I think we are on our way, but I don't see an NFL team moving to Mexico yet.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read