Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-09-2007   #1
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 84321 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default My review of the game

First of all... prayers go out to Green. I didn't particularly like the block, but you hate to see him go the way of Troy and Steve.

Secondly... while it was a win... and some people will point to "showing poise" it was ugly. We just out uglied the worst team in the league. That's not a good sign because we did it without their starting QB. I didn't even know Lemon was still in the league.

This is your typical young team. Its neurotic. Like I've said before. The long stretches of poor play really bother me. So does our inability to score TDs. I know we hammered that one in finally... but it never should have gotten to 4th down. I'm not sure that AJ solves that whole problem either. He's a great go get the ball kind of guy, but down in the goal line area.. he's not going to be fighting one or two guys but more likely 3 or 4. We basically played 1 1/2 quarters of solid football bookended around a pathetic display of ineptitude. Fortunately it was against Miami, with their backup QB no less. I know that int was a tip... but it was poorly thrown and there were at least 2 other passes that we are lucky wern't intercepted. I'll grade the positions first I guess.

QB - D+ Schaub was off all day. He definitely left yards out on the field because when the receivers did catch the ball they were in no position to run with it. He was high, he was low... he was ALL OVER THE PLACE. Even that long gain to Davis to set up the TD... if it was thrown 4 yards deeper, we wouldn't be talking about Dayne's .5 ypc series from the two yard line. And Kevin Walter was waiting for the ball to come to him on a go route? He did display one quality, however, which he continues to win me over with. Pocket Presence. Other than the fumble, which just happened too fast... he slid around in the pocket like a vet. His most accurate throws, oddly enough, were on the run. But that throw down the sideline to Walter... horrible. By far his worst game yet.

RB - D "D" is for Dayne. I've never been a big Dayne fan but this is sad. I used to complain that he thought he was a 195 pound scat back. But now he seems to think he's a Mack truck. He's gone from dancing through holes to avoiding them entirely. Surely that isn't the game plan. The only reason he doesn't get an F consistently is he does block. That's his one redeeming quality. That said he's quickly wearing out the welcome he created for himself during the Indy game last year.

WR - B+ Its hard to imagine, but with AJ,Mathis and JJ out... this group is stepping up quite nicely. Walter isn't fast, but he catches most of what you throw his direction and Davis is much more athletic than I gave him credit for being. Anderson contributed nicely with a key catch. All in all this group needs more "big" gains... but they help move the chains, and considering the passes they were catching, and holding on to... they get a nice grade for the game.

TE - B Daniels is a stud, and Putzier really couldn't do anything about that Int. I'm the first one to ask why someone's not fighting for a ball, but he had no chance to catch it and when it was in the air after he tipped it he was off balance and had no chance to play defensive back.

OL - D+ Despite what our pile finder of a running back, Dayne, would tell you... there were a few holes in the running game this week. Its almost like he aims 4 feet to the left or right of any hole. There were definitely some break downs in pass protection, but Schaub covered them up pretty well. Maybe we should study some Wisconsin film to see what kind of holes Dayne needs opened up for him. But then you consider the penalties. Do we have to do something illegal to gain big yards? How many big plays were we going to hold on?

DL - C- I despite the numbers, this was this groups worst game yet. I think they focused on Lemon a little too much and forgot that the real threat was lined up 3 yards behind him. Seriously, if you are running at the QB, and on your way there you see a guy carrying the ball... its a good idea to tackle him. We did get pressure, and yes... as someone alluded to earlier... we did see a finesse move from MW this week. Amobi has a lot of work to do, but for a 20 year old kid... he's definitely holding his own. I'm wondering though, has there been any consideration to flipping him and Weaver? I know Amobi has more size on him but he would be a monster at DE IMHO.

LB - C- We need some speed on this unit... like yesterday. Even Ryans looked slow to the ball to me. He had 7 tackles, but alot of them were too far down field for my taste. Clark had a nice play and a boneheaded one and Greenwood is solid but not great. Overall this was the worst game our front 7 has played all year.

DB -B- Congrats to Petey. He didn't get abused this week. DR played ok but we were going against a guy You've never heard of. Still it was funny but it was the best our defense has played against the pass all year.

Kicking game -S er Q errr.. A+ wow. My finger didn't want to type that grade. Any time you have 3 50+ field goals in a game.. including a 57 yard game winner... if you don't have a punt/kick returned for a TD or a muffed punt/kick... you have to give them an A. Kris Brown has redeemed himself for last week I suppose, but this just speaks to his inconsistency. He will have far more D's than A's.

Coaching B- Not much you can do about Schaub's game. The coach can't hold onto the ball for them. He can't tackle for them and this game could have been so different. They have a skeleton offense running out there missing 3 WRs and a RB and they are still getting some production out of the WRs. I think the play calling was there this game. I don't like running the ball with Dayne... but Schaub just flat out missed throws this week. He under threw 3 deep balls at least. We just seemed to be out of sync, and I'm not sure you can blame that on the coach entirely. I even thought his clock management was right this time. Holding the ball on the goal line at the end of the game until we finally got out of the shadow of our own goal posts... then we saw a real hurry up offense. I didn't like watching 9 seconds come off the clock though. We ran up to the line and then called a TO? Other than that not much you can say. He looked good to me we just didn't execute. And in all honesty... I'm not sure you can expect us to execute. We just don't have the talent out there right now to do it.

I don't think we learned anything about the team this week either. We know we're young and going to be prone to stretches of bad play. It is though, the second time this season that we've seen this team not fall apart when things go wrong. And if you've been a fan since the inception.. you know that's a good thing. I am sold on the fact that this isn't a playoff year for us though. We should be 4-1 right now. And thinking about squeaking by in the playoffs... but this is really the 2nd egg we've dropped after a promising effort against INDY. If we go 1-2 or 0-3 over the next 3 weeks though, I want to see a little of White at C. I think we've identified our needs though.

This team is what I thought It was. Its young, and will win games it shouldn't and lose games it should win. Overall I'd say we're right on track for 2008.

Mike

I should add something... I like the fact that we threw the ball 3 straight times on our first possession. At this point we need to establish the pass so that we can run the ball... not the other way around

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!

Last edited by Texanmike02; 10-09-2007 at 01:07 AM.
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #2
brickman
Rookie

Rep Power: 10 brickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVP
Default Re: My review of the game

Great post. You hit it right on the head, especially the young, neurotic team part! Growing pains that they will experience. Hopefully, it is on the road to greater things.
brickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #3
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

Great post.

In my book, a win is a win. I would rather play my worst game against a bad team and win, than play my best game against a better team and lose, so I will take the W.

I think Schaub has looked pretty solid in all games, with the exception of this game. Looking at the positives, (i) he was able to move the ball when he had to at the end of the game and (ii) the coaches have the confidence in him not to just kneel the ball in that situation. Hopefully, he can bounce back and have a better game next week.

We have a lot of injuries on the offensive side of the ball, which makes me belive that production on offense will improve when these guys get healthy. The defense worries me more than anything at this point.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #4
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Good job Mike, though I think you're a bit too harsh, especially on the QB and RBs.

I've watched NFL replay twice, but I will wait until I can analyze all the plays before I can give some kind of an opinion on the lines.

Keep it up!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #5
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
QB - D+ Schaub was off all day. He definitely left yards out on the field because when the receivers did catch the ball they were in no position to run with it. He was high, he was low... he was ALL OVER THE PLACE. Even that long gain to Davis to set up the TD... if it was thrown 4 yards deeper, we wouldn't be talking about Dayne's .5 ypc series from the two yard line. And Kevin Walter was waiting for the ball to come to him on a go route? He did display one quality, however, which he continues to win me over with. Pocket Presence. Other than the fumble, which just happened too fast... he slid around in the pocket like a vet. His most accurate throws, oddly enough, were on the run. But that throw down the sideline to Walter... horrible. By far his worst game yet.
You seem to give zero analysis or credit to Schaub for his play in the last minute of the game.

Is this on purpose?

Point is, I think if you did, you would be grading him around a C or C+.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub was 20 of 34 for 296 yards 14.8 ypc, and led the team to a victory on his last drive from his two yard line throwing complete passes to guys who just came up from the practice squad last week in David Anderson.... Not a bad day for a guy with 3 of his top 4 WR's out of his game, the starting Center out and bush league running backs, all while getting steamrolled by Jason Taylor since he was kicking Salaam's ass all game. Yeah, he was way too harsh on the QB grade.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #7
real

Actually David Anderson was on the streets...

But nevertheless...
Sponsored links
Old 10-09-2007   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post
Actually David Anderson was on the streets...

But nevertheless...
The last drive...

1-10-HOU 3 (1:33) 35-S.Gado to HOU 4 for 1 yard (54-Z.Thomas).
2-9-HOU 4 (:54) 8-M.Schaub pass short right to 81-O.Daniels pushed ob at HOU 23 for 19 yards (24-R.Hill).
1-10-HOU 23 (:47) 8-M.Schaub pass incomplete short left to 89-D.Anderson.
2-10-HOU 23 (:42) 8-M.Schaub pass short middle to 81-O.Daniels to HOU 37 for 14 yards (22-M.Lehan).
Timeout #1 by HOU at 00:36.
1-10-HOU 37 (:36) 8-M.Schaub pass deep middle to 89-D.Anderson to MIA 44 for 19 yards (22-M.Lehan).
Timeout #2 by HOU at 00:22.
1-10-MIA 44 (:22) 8-M.Schaub pass short middle to 83-K.Walter to MIA 38 for 6 yards (25-W.Allen).
2-4-MIA 38 (:22) 8-M.Schaub spiked the ball to stop the clock.
3-4-MIA 38 (:06) 3-K.Brown 57 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-48-B.Pittman, Holder-1-M.Turk.
MIA 19 HST 22 Plays: 8 Possession: 1:32
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?season...&game_id=29257

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #9
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
The last drive...

1-10-HOU 3 (1:33) 35-S.Gado to HOU 4 for 1 yard (54-Z.Thomas).
2-9-HOU 4 (:54) 8-M.Schaub pass short right to 81-O.Daniels pushed ob at HOU 23 for 19 yards (24-R.Hill).
1-10-HOU 23 (:47) 8-M.Schaub pass incomplete short left to 89-D.Anderson.
2-10-HOU 23 (:42) 8-M.Schaub pass short middle to 81-O.Daniels to HOU 37 for 14 yards (22-M.Lehan).
Timeout #1 by HOU at 00:36.
1-10-HOU 37 (:36) 8-M.Schaub pass deep middle to 89-D.Anderson to MIA 44 for 19 yards (22-M.Lehan).
Timeout #2 by HOU at 00:22.
1-10-MIA 44 (:22) 8-M.Schaub pass short middle to 83-K.Walter to MIA 38 for 6 yards (25-W.Allen).
2-4-MIA 38 (:22) 8-M.Schaub spiked the ball to stop the clock.
3-4-MIA 38 (:06) 3-K.Brown 57 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-48-B.Pittman, Holder-1-M.Turk.
MIA 19 HST 22 Plays: 8 Possession: 1:32
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?season...&game_id=29257

I mean he didn't come from the practice squad...

He was on the street....
Old 10-09-2007   #10
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected

Good review Mike. I'm pretty much on board with all of it. You're really right about Dayne. His problem is lack of speed and he has turned the "one cut and run" philosophy to "no cut and fall down". Gado is only slightly better.

I'm still trying to figure out the Morency trade. I really thought he had potential and had a good preseason last year. Shermy must have owed someone in GB a big favor or they had some incriminating photos. He looked pretty good on the field Sunday night for the Pack.

I also feel like Chris Taylor would have easily made the #2 RB had he not been hurt.

I'd also like to add that I was impressed with Kubiak making the offense run the ball 4 straight times to get in the endzone on that first TD. He was pretty much telling them to get it done or walk away with no points.

Last edited by prostock101; 10-09-2007 at 06:54 PM.
prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #11
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 84321 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
You seem to give zero analysis or credit to Schaub for his play in the last minute of the game.

Is this on purpose?

Point is, I think if you did, you would be grading him around a C or C+.
Well this is all subjective. I watched him throw and felt like he did a poor job of throwing the ball. We were fortunate that our receivers didn't have any drops that I saw. In fact they as a whole made alot of plays for him or we wouldn't have needed a field goal to win it... we would have needed a TD.

The way I try to grade is C is average. I'm not grading him vs what I expect of him, but rather what an average QB would have done. If this were a school and I was grading him drive for drive he would have a couple of F's several C's and D's an A and a B. That doesn't average out to a C or a C-. I don't think that you are taking into account the fact that a lot of his completions were very nice catches or catches that resulted in yards left on the field because they were thrown to a spot which didn't allow them to run. We almost left a TD on the field because he under threw Davis by about 4 yards, causing him to wait on the ball and get caught. He completely missed Walters, twice i believe, and under threw him one other time. The bottom line is that we never should have been in that position to begin with. We had 294 passing yards and only scored one TD. I'm sorry that is not an average day. You are of course free to grade him how you thought he played... but overall I didn't think he threw the ball very well at all, even on several of his completions.

Mike

Old 10-09-2007   #12
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well this is all subjective. I watched him throw and felt like he did a poor job of throwing the ball. We were fortunate that our receivers didn't have any drops that I saw. In fact they as a whole made alot of plays for him or we wouldn't have needed a field goal to win it... we would have needed a TD.

The way I try to grade is C is average. I'm not grading him vs what I expect of him, but rather what an average QB would have done. If this were a school and I was grading him drive for drive he would have a couple of F's several C's and D's an A and a B. That doesn't average out to a C or a C-. I don't think that you are taking into account the fact that a lot of his completions were very nice catches or catches that resulted in yards left on the field because they were thrown to a spot which didn't allow them to run. We almost left a TD on the field because he under threw Davis by about 4 yards, causing him to wait on the ball and get caught. He completely missed Walters, twice i believe, and under threw him one other time. The bottom line is that we never should have been in that position to begin with. We had 294 passing yards and only scored one TD. I'm sorry that is not an average day. You are of course free to grade him how you thought he played... but overall I didn't think he threw the ball very well at all, even on several of his completions.

Mike
Outside of Kris Brown, I thought all players and the coaching staff did marginal at best during the game.

I really don't disagree with your analysis, as much as how you are grading it.

Schaub took care of business when it mattered the most and there was no room for error.

My opinion, when grading Schaub's performance, you need to weight it according to importance, and the last 1 minute of the game showed us a lot more than it seems your willing to factor into your grade.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #13
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2410 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow if Schaub only gets a C, I feel bad for the rest of the quarterbacks in the league. This is like the impossible engineering professor that only passes 3 students in the class.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #14
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
This is like the impossible engineering professor that only passes 3 students in the class.
That is exactly what it's like. Thank you, I will be able to sleep tonight.
Old 10-09-2007   #15
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

"QB - D+"
That's ridiculous !
You obviously didn't get the word that MS was injured and was playing at less than 100 % physically.
See Schaub has this thing we've been looking for in a QB for 5 years. Its called intangibles and includes such things as leadership skills and the poise
and confidance to play effectively even when injured. Which he was. But it didn't prevent him from playing just well enough to lead us to our best ever 5 game start.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #16
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
Wow if Schaub only gets a C, I feel bad for the rest of the quarterbacks in the league. This is like the impossible engineering professor that only passes 3 students in the class.

Most weeks he's a solid B student. This week he wasn't. I love the guy. I would sit him down though and tell him he's being graded on his entire body of work not one game and not one series. Did Dayne's game against Indy last year raise his performance a letter grade in your opinion? It was by far the best performance of anyone not named Demeco on the team all year. It didn't make up for the horrible games he had outside of that.

Mike

Old 10-09-2007   #17
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
"QB - D+"
That's ridiculous !
You obviously didn't get the word that MS was injured and was playing at less than 100 % physically.
See Schaub has this thing we've been looking for in a QB for 5 years. Its called intangibles and includes such things as leadership skills and the poise
and confidance to play effectively even when injured. Which he was. But it didn't prevent him from playing just well enough to lead us to our best ever 5 game start.
I didn't get word that he was hurt. Link? During the broadcast they didn't mention it one time.

Mike

Old 10-09-2007   #18
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I didn't get word that he was hurt. Link? During the broadcast they didn't mention it one time.

Mike

per Kubiaks press conference on Monday, I believe, he mentioned Schaub had a sore leg or minor injury. Not sure of the extent/severity of the injury.

I am curious Mike if the TV game showed the number of times that our recievers were mugged with no flag for pass INT? The good news is they refs were consistant in NOT calling either team, but there were several calls that the crowd was legitimately calling for a flag to no avail.

also we tend to forget that this is Schaub's 7th game starting in the NFL. I think overall, for his experience level, the guy is top shelf quality. Perhaps he didn't have a good game, but the stats don't show that to be true. from sitting at the game, he looked good and composed and leading his team.

I think a B-, with all circumstances involved would be a more fair review.

other than that, I would totally agree with the rest of your review, Mike.

good stuff.
Old 10-09-2007   #19
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Mike
"Kubiak also noted that Schaub played the entire game with a deep thigh bruise and refused to use the injury as an excuse for his mistakes"
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=3746
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #20
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan View Post
per Kubiaks press conference on Monday, I believe, he mentioned Schaub had a sore leg or minor injury. Not sure of the extent/severity of the injury.

I am curious Mike if the TV game showed the number of times that our recievers were mugged with no flag for pass INT? The good news is they refs were consistant in NOT calling either team, but there were several calls that the crowd was legitimately calling for a flag to no avail.

also we tend to forget that this is Schaub's 7th game starting in the NFL. I think overall, for his experience level, the guy is top shelf quality. Perhaps he didn't have a good game, but the stats don't show that to be true. from sitting at the game, he looked good and composed and leading his team.

I think a B-, with all circumstances involved would be a more fair review.

other than that, I would totally agree with the rest of your review, Mike.

good stuff.
Appreciate the kind words man.

I mean if I grade 8 areas of the team and only 1 is argued with either I'm dead on with 7 or that one is waaaay off lol.

Seriously though, depending on how sore the leg was... that might have had alot to do with the off target throws. That was my biggest concern. I do realize that we were getting beat up past the 5 yard mark.. but even his completions were ugly for the most part. I don't just watch the game once, and still felt the same way about Schaub after the second time.

I'll say this though... If I have to grade his season as a whole he is probably on the B range. That's not as a young QB. That's just as a whole. I know the impact that Johnson/JJ/JM are having by missing time... and I know the impact that green is having by missing time... but the one complaint I have is we aren't very efficient inside the opponents 20. Really once we get to their 30 yard line or so we start to have problems. That falls as much on the coaching staff as the QB. I'm not jumping on the guy... he's still my guy... I just thought he had a bad game. It was good to see him recover to lead the team though. I'm not discounting that when I rate him and really its refreshing to see that he can do it... we've seen that in him twice now this season.

Mike

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read