Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-08-2007   #1
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Charles Spencer doubtful to play this season

Kubiak just said "it doesn't look good" as far as Spencer playing this year. He sounded confident he would play in the future though.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #2
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Charles Spencer doubtful to play this season

Basically what we've expected for some time now, so no surprise.
But Kubiak did still seem confidant of his longer-term return, next year in
2008 in other words.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #3
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we need to draft a new LT for the future. Putting our hands in a guy who missed almost all of 2006 and probably going to miss the entire 2007 season just doesn't sound too promising.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #4
shinerbock_girl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 shinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVP
Send a message via MSN to shinerbock_girl Send a message via Yahoo to shinerbock_girl

I couldn't be any more depressed about this....I had such high hopes for Spencer...
shinerbock_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #5
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

please kubes, tell us something we don't know....
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #6
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Just once I wish the Texan FO would tell us the TRUTH about an injury, rather than getting our hopes up and then letting us down
At the rate theyve been going, i fully expect his injury to be career ending
Old 10-08-2007   #7
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 127674 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i was having such a good day.

i had such high hopes for spencer and possibly unrealistic expectations from the short time we got to see him. i truely believe that if spencer is able to play, he's going to be one of the best linemen in football. it still may happen, but at this rate he's lost 2 full years of training and conditioning, and there's no telling if he'll ever be fully healed even his does play again.
Old 10-08-2007   #8
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91511 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I fully expect his injury to be career ending
That's the way I see it, Kubiak's comments about 'next season' not withstanding. I love him as a coach, but I don't trust his predictions regarding players' future health not one bit.

If Spencer does come back next year to be a halfway servicable lineman, I'll tremendously surprised.

But I don't see it turning out that way.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #9
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 9888 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Unhappy Re: Charles Spencer doubtful to play this season

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I think we need to draft a new LT for the future. Putting our hands in a guy who missed almost all of 2006 and probably going to miss the entire 2007 season just doesn't sound too promising.
I agree. So do we go LT or RB first?
Giant Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #10
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 294595 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Tiger View Post
I agree. So do we go LT or RB first?
The Texans are in great need of a RB, LT, safety and corner, and we don't have a 2nd round pick next year. Probably whoever is the best at the position we draft at. Green has shown the line can block good enough to put up a semi-decent running game if we have someone who is capable of running the ball.

I'd draft a RB in the first, and take pot luck with the rest of the draft. It's always possible we might pick up a decent enough safety or corner in FA.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #11
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 58129 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel the need to throw an I told you so out there, but I'll refrain.
Old 10-08-2007   #12
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
The Texans are in great need of a RB, LT, safety and corner, and we don't have a 2nd round pick next year. Probably whoever is the best at the position we draft at. Green has shown the line can block good enough to put up a semi-decent running game if we have someone who is capable of running the ball.

I'd draft a RB in the first, and take pot luck with the rest of the draft. It's always possible we might pick up a decent enough safety or corner in FA.
I think we should go after Michael Turner as our RB. Chris Taylor will be healthy and we should still have Green. Then spend all of our earlier picks on DB's, OL, and a mid to late round LB or BPA.
Old 10-08-2007   #13
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Found this link for 2008 free agents. Dont know much about this guy.... but sounds decent for a #2 and a good option while Bennett learns the ropes:

CB Drayton Florence, UFA, San Diego Chargers
Florence has held onto his starting spot over Antonio Cromartie when it was thought that Cromartie would win the job early. However, the veteran showed his resolve and stepped up his play since having his position challenged. Florence is not a shutdown type of player, but he does make plays when he needs to most of the time and he had three interceptions in 2006. The Chargers can probably afford to let him hit the market, and the best bet is that Florence will find a starting position somewhere else come next season.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2008/...eagentsDB.html
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #14
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 58129 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
I think we should go after Michael Turner as our RB. Chris Taylor will be healthy and we should still have Green. Then spend all of our earlier picks on DB's, OL, and a mid to late round LB or BPA.
I just want them to revisit the theory of "It's the system: any RB, and late round o-lineman will work".

Then they can investigate how well the Denver and Green Bay pedigree thing is working out.
Old 10-08-2007   #15
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm hoping we'll get a good run-stopping defensive end and maybe a solid mike linebacker.... Draft those in rounds 1 and 3 then go bargain shopping in 4-7 for a couple of WR's, RB, C, and LT.

Actually, I think in rounds 1 and 3 we should take RB, C, or LT - BPA. Rounds 4-7 go after depth at the other positions including whichever of the three above didn't get selected.

Of course, I'm not a general manager and my ineptitude at personnel decisions is demonstrated weekly in fantasy football.
Old 10-08-2007   #16
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Outside of QBs & WRs, Smith-Kubiak seem to stick with their roots and therfor have an aversion to drafting offensive players in the top round. And we are set at those positions. So unless we get a DB(s) in FA, I'd kinda expect us to go that in the Draft. But they might surprise and got OT, since this coming Draft is so strong at that poisition.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #17
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
I'm hoping we'll get a good run-stopping defensive end and maybe a solid mike linebacker.... Draft those in rounds 1 and 3 then go bargain shopping in 4-7 for a couple of WR's, RB, C, and LT.

Actually, I think in rounds 1 and 3 we should take RB, C, or LT - BPA. Rounds 4-7 go after depth at the other positions including whichever of the three above didn't get selected.

Of course, I'm not a general manager and my ineptitude at personnel decisions is demonstrated weekly in fantasy football.
The coaches like Chris White, a 24 yr old center. He may just earn starting time this season. So you can probably mark center off as a poistion of need.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #18
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

With the injury he had, this is a long-time coming. I don't think the Texans were hiding anything. At least, I never saw anything but this as the inevitable outcome. Everybody knew it was a knee injury, and only time would tell if he really healed from it.

Unfortunately for Big Nasty, I think his career is over. It's time for the Texans to look to the future and bring in a new left tackle.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #19
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone18 View Post
The coaches like Chris White, a 24 yr old center. He may just earn starting time this season. So you can probably mark center off as a poistion of need.
I sincerely hope and pray that you are correct. That would be wonderful because the draft can be hit or miss (wow - newsflash, right?)

Anyone know any particular reason he's not seeing any time? Too raw? Great physical skills but still learning the position? Rehabbing from injury and not quite 100%?

Just askin'.......
Old 10-08-2007   #20
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

What I heard is that the coaches had a hard time deciding between Flanagan and McKinney. They liked McKinney because of his ability to play anywhere, but they thought he was the better center and played him. Flanagan is now playing because he is the clear #2. I'm not sure that anyone will see more time unless somebody is injured.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read