Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-08-2007   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Did Mario finally show us some real Edge Speed yesterday ?

Instead of plowing straight ahead with his typical bullrush, did Mario finally reward us in yesterdays game with a glimpse of some real edge speed thru a move to the outside shoulder of the LT, followed by a burst around the OT, and a sack of the QB by literaly yanking him down with one hand after grabbing his untucked jersey.
Is this wishful thinking on my part, or did we really see for the first time a speed move, a pure finesse move that resulted in a sack by Mario ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #2
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default Re: Did Mario finally show us some real Edge Speed yesterday ?

Mario's sack was truly a great sack to behold, but he didn't make much impact and in many cases the OL were letting him go outside because they play was called to run inside of Mario. All your guard or tackle has to do then is seal the tackles and you have instant gaping hole. Mario ran himself out of plays numerous times but I would rather him taking chances than waltzing with OT and TE all the time.

That sack was a great sack though. To pull down someone that easy with the tug of a shirt with one hand while falling down on your back was testament to what Mario can do when he gets his hands on ya.

Okoye and Mario both got abused but a lot of it is due to inexperience and not reading the play correctly. They should and could both get there soon.
Old 10-08-2007   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134504 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't think Mario had a good game yesterday and was generally lost in run support...it was nice that he got a handful of jersey and pulled down the QB on that play though...a sack is a sack is a sack. Mario was on the ground way too much and he keeps running himself out of plays.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #4
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I didn't think Mario had a good game yesterday and was generally lost in run support...it was nice that he got a handful of jersey and pulled down the QB on that play though...a sack is a sack is a sack. Mario was on the ground way too much and he keeps running himself out of plays.
wow, my biggest problem with Mario is that he is on his feet too much at the end of plays. but yeah, your right that he runs himself out of plays and a lot of those are plays where some fans may think he 'got around' the OT. many times when Mario gets penetration it is because that is the blocking scheme they are using and the OL are letting him get into the backfield and then running into the lane that he vacated. Addai made a living off of that Week 3.

at the end of the day Mario had a few positive plays and a top notch sack.
Old 10-08-2007   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134504 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
wow, my biggest problem with Mario is that he is on his feet too much at the end of plays. but yeah, your right that he runs himself out of plays and a lot of those are plays where some fans may think he 'got around' the OT. many times when Mario gets penetration it is because that is the blocking scheme they are using and the OL are letting him get into the backfield and then running into the lane that he vacated. Addai made a living off of that Week 3.

at the end of the day Mario had a few positive plays and a top notch sack.
I was constantly pointing out to Herv where Mario was on the ground.....when he wasn't running himself out of the play. He still has a long ways to go, but he is just too big a physical freak to think that he won't one day "get it". This isn't like a QB position where it's all that mental. In my opinion he didn't have a good day despite the sack.

Old 10-08-2007   #6
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In my opinion he didn't have a good day despite the sack.
I wouldn't argue with your assessment of his performance in yesterdays game V. In general that is, but my thread was about just that single play, the sack, and my point was I hadn't seen him score a sack with that kind of move, a really quick, explosive burst "around" and not "thru" the OT as he's done in the past. I think its reassuring to see that kind of quickness from him.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #7
real

Easily one of Mario's best sacks....

Mario could easily have a ten sack year....
Sponsored links
Old 10-08-2007   #8
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
he keeps running himself out of plays.
This is what bothers me about Mario. He seems to take the outside route to the qb all the time and ends up behind the play. The Tackle is more than happy to guide Mario in a semi circle around the qb and out of the play.
bckey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #9
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
This is what bothers me about Mario. He seems to take the outside route to the qb all the time and ends up behind the play. The Tackle is more than happy to guide Mario in a semi circle around the qb and out of the play.
yup. OC exploit this constantly against us in both the running game and the short passing game (screens/shovels)
Old 10-08-2007   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
That's really common with more DE's than just Mario.

He's going around the edge. If the QB steps back too far, he's toast. If he sees Mario coming around the edge of the pocket, the QB should step up and hopefully a DT will be there. All the positions work together.

That said, Mario's 2 sacks against the Chiefs came from up the gut where he stunted with the DT and the DT looped around the edge and forced the QB to step up... into Mario.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #11
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Isn't where Mario is ending up also got to do with what schemes the defense is running??
Maybe the plan is to have Mario get deep and outside to force the runner into the inside lane where Demeco can clean up.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #12
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
When you are constantly guided by the LT to make a large outside arc to the QB, the only type of QB you're going to catch is a David Carr.........a QB that does not know how to simply step up into the pocket.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #13
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was constantly pointing out to Herv where Mario was on the ground.....when he wasn't running himself out of the play. He still has a long ways to go, but he is just too big a physical freak to think that he won't one day "get it". This isn't like a QB position where it's all that mental. In my opinion he didn't have a good day despite the sack.
I will need to go back and watch the game again as it did not seem like he had a great game to me either. However, Kubiak on his radio show tonight mentioned Mario was co-defensive player of the week with CC. I wanted to go back after I heard that to see if thats a publicity move or if he really had a better game than I realized. Also I wanted to go back and see how Mario did when he was moved inside and see what impact it had on the game.

Support our troops
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I honestly wonder if Mario watches film.

He doesn't appear to grasp down & distance, he doesn't appear to read the play, and he seems to be happy chasing the running back.

I didn't watch the whole game yet. I saw the first half.

But that play where Ted Gin fumbled the ball, Mario played the run, and was oblivious to the fact that the reverse was being ran to his side.

Had he played the QB, or the reverse, none of that bumbling fumbling Travis Johnson taunting stuff would have happened. He'd have been on top of them(& I believe that's why Ginn didn't want the ball, even after biting on the run, Mario was "there"). The ball would have been on the ground, TJ would have picked it up, and took it to the house.

But like Vinny said, he's too big, too strong, too fast not to be good. I see it all the time.

bits & pieces...

but he needs to put it together.
Old 10-08-2007   #15
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree that in time the Texans D-Line will become dominant.
Old 10-08-2007   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownsportsfan View Post
I will need to go back and watch the game again as it did not seem like he had a great game to me either. However, Kubiak on his radio show tonight mentioned Mario was co-defensive player of the week with CC. I wanted to go back after I heard that to see if thats a publicity move or if he really had a better game than I realized. Also I wanted to go back and see how Mario did when he was moved inside and see what impact it had on the game.
I just finished watching NFL replay (great concept) and my impression of Mario is about the same as yesterday from Reliant. I guess he got the co-player for his sack and his hustling....He was hustling all game so I'll give him that much. Can't complain about that.

I've given CC Brown a bit of grief in the past but he sure had a good game as well as Petey....so kudos to them both.

The Dolphins rookie Center was a beast and he is a big reason Brown did so well inside today....when he went out Brown didn't have huge gaping holes to blast through. I also think DeMeco didn't have his best game.

Old 10-09-2007   #17
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

He gets co player of the week because that sack was basically the ball game. If he doesnt make it, they at least kick a FG. So, despite a below average showing, that was one of the biggest plays of the game.
Old 10-10-2007   #18
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah if only he could QB like vincent he'd be a prety good player. Good Grief. he's had three great games in a row and is on pace for twelve sacks....But it's never goling to be enough is it Vinny ? He is getting better every game.
Old 10-10-2007   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Yeah if only he could QB like vincent he'd be a prety good player. Good Grief. he's had three great games in a row and is on pace for twelve sacks....But it's never goling to be enough is it Vinny ? He is getting better every game.
Pete, stop talking about Vince Young every time someone doesn't agree with you...it's getting old. Stay on topic. I can critique Mario or give as many observations on him as much as I want or as I see fit. I don't have an agenda other than wanting players to play up to their cap hit. Get a grip or stay away from the booze....one or the other.

Old 10-10-2007   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I was impressed with the Miami offensive line, the run blocking & pass protection was very good, still great players have to make plays that inspire & impact the game. I'm also a little nervous about Marios progression both in reading the play & not taking himself out of the play. I will say this Mario is most impressive in person only then can you get a real sense of his immense presence. by the way not that this really means anything but I watched Mario & Owen Daniels walk off the field together sharing the moment of a home field win on the way to the locker room

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read