Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-08-2007   #1
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Trade bait?

OK, guys/gals.......when is the trade deadline? Did it already pass? Here's a scenario and I don't know how feasable it is or whether or not it may work. (This may have already been discussed on this board, if so please erase this thread.) If, and I know it's a big "IF", we can get our receiving corps back that we started the season with and they are 100% healthy, would it be possible to trade Andre Davis to a team that has a need for a WR and in turn get a valuable RB to help our ground game? I don't know who would be interested, if anyone, or who would be willing to trade a RB away at this time. I think that we need some serious help on the ground to even out the yardage and really keep defenses honest. Thoughts, if any?
Old 10-08-2007   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Trade bait?

I'm not positive but I think the trade deadline is after week 6.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #3
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I'm not positive but I think the trade deadline is after week 6.
Thanks, I'm not sure what it is either. Sounds about right though IIRC.
Old 10-08-2007   #4
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Trade deadline is October 16th.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #5
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Andre Davis has more value to our team than any runningback were going to get for him. The guy might actually be able to develop into that #2 we've been waiting for.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #6
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb View Post
Andre Davis has more value to our team than any runningback were going to get for him. The guy might actually be able to develop into that #2 we've been waiting for.
my thoughts exactly
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #7
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb View Post
Understood but I also don't expect him to keep it up. He's had an injury plagued career thus his value will never be higher than it is right now. I'd be a seller with the condition of our team. Midseason and comfortably filling in for Andre Johnson skyrockets his value. Then we can say that we're flush. We have a #1 WR for sale. Why not either? He filled in for Johnson admirably. Teams have needs and they're willing to pay for them. We've got Walter and Jones to be our number two. We're fine at WR and if we were to trade, Andre Davis is our biggest bargaining chip.

I'm not pushing us to trade Davis. I'll be fine with keeping him. Just trying to see if I can lay out a better sense of what Davis' trade value would be at this point.
Old 10-08-2007   #8
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Chiefs might trade
Old 10-08-2007   #9
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
Chiefs might trade
Who would they offer, Priest Holmes?
Old 10-08-2007   #10
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I want a running back more than the next guy but trading a WR is the worst thing we could do, especially him.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #11
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

if we were going to trade anybody, i'd put gado, kevin walter, and jerome mathis (unless we cant because of IR) on the block.
Old 10-08-2007   #12
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
if we were going to trade anybody, i'd put gado, kevin walter, and jerome mathis (unless we cant because of IR) on the block.
But everyone knows they're worthless (except for Walter) but his trade value is low). We need a viable running back and they come at a premium. Let's try to be realistic when we throw out scenarios. I do not think the three of them could get a running back.
Old 10-08-2007   #13
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
But everyone knows they're worthless. We need a viable running back and they come at a premium. Let's try to be realistic when we throw out scenarios. I do not think the three of them could get a running back.
i'm full aware that the three of them are all but useless, they're the only players i could come up with though that MIGHT garner any name recognition. mathis had a probowl appearance and a return TD this year. gado might get a little press because of showing up 2 years ago with green bay, and walter came into the season as our #2 (not much of a feat). i dont expect any kind of trade coming however, just chiming in.

the only backup that i think would be worth anything in a trade would be sage rosenfels, but we dont have anyone behind him that we could move up.
Old 10-08-2007   #14
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

may be we can offer our 1st and 3rd from next year's draft for AP.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #15
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i'm full aware that the three of them are all but useless, they're the only players i could come up with though that MIGHT garner any name recognition. mathis had a probowl appearance and a return TD this year. gado might get a little press because of showing up 2 years ago with green bay, and walter came into the season as our #2 (not much of a feat). i dont expect any kind of trade coming however, just chiming in.

the only backup that i think would be worth anything in a trade would be sage rosenfels, but we dont have anyone behind him that we could move up.
You absolutly do NOT trade Sage. I know he is "only a back-up", but he is invaluable. He is one of the few untouchable. Not correcting you, but making a statement before anyone else gets the idea. Davis will most likly be our #2 after everyone is hea;lthy because hes earned it.

Last edited by BigBull17; 10-09-2007 at 05:57 PM.
BigBull17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #16
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think we should let Sage go either. We do that, and I bet Schaub goes down for a at least a few games that will be automatic losses.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #17
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post
not that davis hasn't been good for us, but he's certainly no andre johnson, doesn't have the physicality or the size of a good possession reciever like walter, and doesn't have the game-changing ability of a jacoby jones. i think aj and k-dub are untouchable. a lot of people don't respect walter's game but he does everything right when his number is called. his best shot is probably taking out jones, but i doubt kubiak/smith are going to let anything get in the way of jj becoming a star.

what a'davis IS, is a fast guy with good hands, and a great mentality. and he's still fairly young. maybe he stays and is quality depth, or maybe he moves on...but i don't think he's a part of the plan long-term wise.
Not that I don't like Walter, but what has he offered in games thus far this year that Davis does not? Walter runs good routes and gets open...so far all I've seen is Davis running good routes and getting open. Walter goes over the middle...Davis has made big plays over the middle in traffic the last few games. Walter is good for a first down...when Davis makes a catch of over 30 yds it is more than likely also going to be a first down. Walter blocks fairly well in the run game...I have not witnessed this part of Davis' game myself. Walter is quick, but not fast...Davis still has some speed.

So from what I've noticed, Davis can do much of what Walter can, except perhaps the blocking aspect. And if Dayne is the one running the ball, there is no need to worry about picking up the block outside because he will never get there. There is really no reason to say that Davis could not start opposite Johnson when he comes back. Walter would do well to work out of the slot in three receiver sets, where he would have the best mismatches.
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

With the way Our players have been dropping like flies, I'd hold onto Davis and see how he does. Speed is hard to teach and he has hung on to the ball this year. He has shown he can go across the middle if necessary. We have little invested and if he continues to light it up all year, we make him an offer. Their are enough plays to run JJ, AJ and Davis at WR. We need a RB but not enough to give up AD's 20.5 avg. He can easily be a 100 yds per game player. I do not see any trades that will bring you a 100 yds rusher.
badboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #19
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

While we do need RB help I like Keeping Davis and have our WR corps set up for a while. He's really stepped up when we needed him to and I hope that plays on Kubiaks thought process when AJ and JJ get healthy. I also like how witha healthy Davis we really don't have to press JJ into the starting lineup and that time can help polish him off into a great WR.

I like Walter...I like his attitude, work ethic, godd hands, solid route runner, reminds me more of Wayne Chrebet then McCaffery.with the Mathis Injury looks like he'll be jettisoned at the end of the year. So i really like the idea of keeping Davis around.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #20
brickman
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 brickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVP

I say to stay put and let things fall out this year. Let's face it... we're improving, but bringing in another RB is not going to allow us to win it all this year. I say we sit tight and make a run for Michael Turner in the offseason.
We're making progress and the injuries have been tough, but lets not throw our future away. Pickup Michael Turner and address O-Line and CB in the draft.
brickman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read