Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-08-2007   #41
shinerbock_girl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 shinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVP
Send a message via MSN to shinerbock_girl Send a message via Yahoo to shinerbock_girl
Default Re: Texan fans are idiots too!

I was thinking the same thing watching it on tv, thinking whats wrong with these ppl, but then i thought maybe there were alot of Phin fans there....
shinerbock_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #42
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

take a sack for a safety and the game is even more over.

And for those arguing the 'field position dictated a run', Normally I would completely agree with that thinking. But not in yesterdays game when we didn't have anything remotely resembling a running game all game long. And that much time on the clock and we only needed to get into FG range.

The fans were booing for the fact that apparently Kubiak was playing for OT, and they didn't like it. All that changed with the 19 yd pass. IMO

Kubiaks clock management is still suspect, IMO. He hasn't shown a real good grasp of how to manage a late game clock this season so far, including yesterday.
Old 10-08-2007   #43
real

We scored the game winning kick with 1 second left on the clock...

How much better clock management can we get ?

You do not come out passing in a situation like that...

You have to run the ball to get the clock rolling...

If you throw an incomplete pass the clock stops and you may have to punt it...

Kubiak just said in his interview that their intent the whole time was to go after the first down at the least...

You have to take baby steps...If you go out there guns-a-blazin you may go down in the same manner...
Old 10-08-2007   #44
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Kubiak just said in his interview that their intent the whole time was to go after the first down at the least...
this quote is a prime example of why the fans were frustrated and 'boo-ing'.

If your intent is to get a first down then that is a grand total of 10 yds.

With the game on the line, and that much time on the clock, don't you think the INTENT should have been to get downfield into FG range?? Wouldn't that seem to be the logical and desired INTENT at that time by the team? Seems so to me.

The 19 yd pass changed everyone's perspective of the clock management.

but from Kubiaks own quote listed above it is quite obvious he just wanted to take it into OT. That is what the fans were 'boo-ing', IMO.
Old 10-08-2007   #45
dskillz
Veteran

Rep Power: 27 dskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performer

It could have been worse. Everyone could have not showed up.

I am not going to start bitching at fans' cheering or not cheering when I saw the stadium less than half full several times. I know that we have to complain about something, but screw complaining about people actually showing up to the game.
Old 10-08-2007   #46
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan View Post
With the game on the line, and that much time on the clock, don't you think the INTENT should have been to get downfield into FG range?? Wouldn't that seem to be the logical and desired INTENT at that time by the team? Seems so to me.
No...I think you are wrong...

I don't think you can go out there with that mindset...Especially given that we are lacking our top weapons....

You have to test the waters first and see what you can get...

You need to go after the first down first, because you don't want the other team to get an easy three and out because you're stupidly trying to drive 90 yards all at once...

Sacks, and incompletions and interceptions were not our friend at that point...

I think those who were booing were wrong...

He first needed to make sure that we didn't "give" the Dolphins the game before he could go for the win...

But I don't expect everyone to understand that...So goes life...
Old 10-08-2007   #47
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 101015 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
The purpose of the deleted word in the posts is to cut down on personal attacks...once I deleted that word people generally cut way back on mindlessly calling each other an i d i o t. This word isn't worth banning otherwise. Also, I didn't ban the word idiots....you can type it with a S at the end. People don't generally run around calling a person an idiots.

They probably will now...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-08-2007   #48
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 317-6-8, 115 Q6
Rep Power: 48949 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

I can generally tune out would be distractions by most of the fans because I get totally absorbed in what's going on on the field. However, call me a poor sport or what ever, but nothing annoys me more than trying to concentrate on the game while that dog gone beach ball goes sailing by. Then those who want to play will boo those that don't.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #49
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskillz View Post
It could have been worse. Everyone could have not showed up.

I am not going to start bitching at fans' cheering or not cheering when I saw the stadium less than half full several times. I know that we have to complain about something, but screw complaining about people actually showing up to the game.
Oh yeah, and the stadium was half-empty at kickoff.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #50
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Oh yeah, and the stadium was half-empty at kickoff.
I knew someone would say that so I took some pics...I'll post them when I upload them from my camera.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #51
YellerLotYeller
nice marmot

Rep Power: 188 YellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respected

Yea the refs cost us the game....*shakes head*....whoa I had a flashback to last year, sorry.
YellerLotYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #52
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93773 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
actually I didn't agree with the 4th-1 call either. Unlike yourself though, even in 2005, I have never 'boo-ed' inside the stadium at the Texans. Guess I am an ***** for never booing, huh.

If we had showed to have even an mediocre running game at any time during the game, I would have completely agreed with THAT call. Showing that we couldn't get 2 yds in 3 tries from the 2 yd line for a TD, early in the game, was a direct reflection of our LACK of a running game. Hence that call, with intent of getting some distance out of the endzone, was a wasted call to me. And obviously gaining ONE WHOLE YD during the play, showed it was a wasted call. The very next play, from our 4 yd line, only netted 19 yds.

We ran very poorly yesterday and passed very well.
First of all what game were you watching? You said we were passing the ball well? Are you being serious? We had 5 or 6 nice passing plays. The rest were pretty bad. Schaub was high or late or behind with almost every throw. And we know that a TO in that area was the end of the game.

For the first time in a crucial situation, Kubes managed the clock exactly the way you should. You want to get the clock down to where you can run signifigant time off the clock on 3rd down, or force them to use their last time out in the event that you have to punt them the ball.

We weren't running the ball to get out of the endzone... we had to run the ball to start the clock. Here's how you handle that situation.

The opposing team is content to let you run out the clock in most situations, so they are not going to call a time out on first down. That is your chance to get the clock where you want it. If you pass on first down you are screwed if it is incomplete because the other team now has enough timeouts to force you to punt them the ball.

If however, you run the ball on first down... you stand a chance to run the clock out if you are unable to complete your pass on second down. Conversely you leave yourself enough time to make a few attempts to pass the ball should you be successful on second down. Keep in mind you are basically handing them the game if you don't do it this way because if you punt them the ball from your 3 yard line they are probably going to get the ball in field goal range. That's because you have to punt from a max protect formation because there isn't much room in the endzone.

If the pass play works on second down you leave yourself a chance to score. But if it doesn't you are trying to make sure either force them to burn their last time out (limiting them to pass plays once they get the ball) or not have to punt the ball at all by running on 3rd down. I thought it was perfect clock management. The first time we've seen such a since the Moon-Jefferies days if you ask me.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #53
thegr8fan
All Pro

Quote:
First of all what game were you watching? You said we were passing the ball well? Are you being serious? We had 5 or 6 nice passing plays.
serious as a heart attack. We averaged 5.2 yds a pass and 2.6 yds per run. So I am being totally serious when I said we were passing well, compared to running. Twice as well. Schaub ended up being the 3rd highest passing QB for the week, behind Romo, and his comback, and Favre and his loss.

You can't use the 'we were going for the first down' argument to disagree with this either. We got 12 first downs by passing and only 6 by running. If you truly want to get a first down then pass the ball.

the last drive was made possible by 19, 14, 19, and 6 yd passes. Not runs.

Penalty's and sacks are what killed our drives. Not the bad passing game. Look at the play by play stuff and you will see that if we had a long sustained drive it was penalty free. The holding calls at the worst times killed our drives. Sometimes AFTER we had picked up the first down it was negated by a penalty.
Old 10-09-2007   #54
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
serious as a heart attack. We averaged 5.2 yds a pass and 2.6 yds per run. So I am being totally serious when I said we were passing well, compared to running. Twice as well. Schaub ended up being the 3rd highest passing QB for the week, behind Romo, and his comback, and Favre and his loss.

You can't use the 'we were going for the first down' argument to disagree with this either. We got 12 first downs by passing and only 6 by running. If you truly want to get a first down then pass the ball.

Penalty's and sacks are what killed our drives. Not the bad passing game. Look at the play by play stuff and you will see that if we had a long sustained drive it was penalty free. The holding calls at the worst times killed our drives. Sometimes AFTER we had picked up the first down it was negated by a penalty.
The holding calls were part of the passing game. Jason Taylor was running over or around Salaam all day long. He and Pitts were tackling him from behind for the last three quarters.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #55
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I sat with Herv and he can tell you that I called the run and we discussed why you should not pass on that first play...but some fans were booing anyway. I also discussed Cameron's idiotic play calling. Brown was going off for about 7 ypc in the first half and they come out throwing the ball after halftime. I told him if I was a Dolphin fan I'd be an unhappy fan.

it was esp bad around the 2 min warning- they were on the edge of fg range and they put the balll in lemon's hands when browns dominating? wth.. needless to say we rushed him and he threw it out of bounds wasting a down and stopping the clock- time which was vital for us afterwards (cheers cam )
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #56
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
take a sack for a safety and the game is even more over.

And for those arguing the 'field position dictated a run', Normally I would completely agree with that thinking. But not in yesterdays game when we didn't have anything remotely resembling a running game all game long. And that much time on the clock and we only needed to get into FG range.

The fans were booing for the fact that apparently Kubiak was playing for OT, and they didn't like it. All that changed with the 19 yd pass. IMO

Kubiaks clock management is still suspect, IMO. He hasn't shown a real good grasp of how to manage a late game clock this season so far, including yesterday.

Kubiak explained his thought processes on that on Monday.

Judgment call. You go pass pass pass and not make the first down, or get sacked in the endzone it is probably going to be a loss and not even giving you a chance for OT.

In some ways that run is for future games too. If teams know you are going to pass every play, it makes it harder to pass.

Seeing Ron Dayne trying to run the last couple of games really makes me feel vomity, but I know they have to try.
Old 10-09-2007   #57
Battle Red Flash
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Battle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performer

Quote:
take a sack there and the games over...he did the right thing.
And that's how you coach conservative/scared.
Kubiak says "what if we get sacked?" Another coach says "what if we do a quick slant and get 10 yards?"

Also, I watched the game last night again, and that last drive for the winning FG was terrible. They run on the first play and burn up almost 30 seconds, and then barely make it to the 40 yard line for a 57 yard FG. And they left one timeout on the table.
It's unforced errors that tick me off. The drive before the half was just as bad. They had 3:30 on the clock, and barely drive down for a 54 yarder.

Kubes needs to watch old film of Stabler and Staubach to see how real two minute drives are run.
This has gone on now three games in a row.
Old 10-09-2007   #58
Battle Red Flash
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Battle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post
You have to take baby steps...If you go out there guns-a-blazin you may go down in the same manner...
It's been five plus years. The players are talking about making the playoffs.
Time to demand more from the coaches and players.
Old 10-09-2007   #59
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 340250 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post
We scored the game winning kick with 1 second left on the clock...

How much better clock management can we get ?
Word
Old 10-09-2007   #60
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

With all due respect, gr8, but I have to agree with Mike on the clock management issue. Kube did right by running to start that drive. We really don't want to give the ball back to the Dolphins, even with 10 secs left.

As far as passing vs running for the game, you are right that the passing game was not as terrible as the running game.
However,
(1) If you go by numbers alone, 5.2 ypa would be "good" enough to tie with the Saints for dead last for the season.
For a WCO, that is a sure fire way to lose a game.
(2) As TexanMike mentioned, Schaub was not very accurate in this game. He wasn't off by much on the majority of the throws, but "off" nonetheless.
And that is one of the issue I have with Schaub, especially across the middle. It is a concern because exposing your receivers there could lead to a fumble/Int, or worse, an injury.
JMHO.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read