Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-08-2007   #21
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texan fans are idiots too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan View Post
actually I didn't agree with the 4th-1 call either. Unlike yourself though, even in 2005, I have never 'boo-ed' inside the stadium at the Texans. Guess I am an ***** for never booing, huh.

If we had showed to have even an mediocre running game at any time during the game, I would have completely agreed with THAT call. Showing that we couldn't get 2 yds in 3 tries from the 2 yd line for a TD, early in the game, was a direct reflection of our LACK of a running game. Hence that call, with intent of getting some distance out of the endzone, was a wasted call to me. And obviously gaining ONE WHOLE YD during the play, showed it was a wasted call. The very next play, from our 4 yd line, only netted 19 yds.

We ran very poorly yesterday and passed very well. Call the plays that are working for you. Not the ones that football logic says is a high percentage call. IMIO (in my idiotic opinion)

note to self: on this board you can in fact use the word ID-IO-T in the heading of the message. You can not however use it in the text of the message. hmmm
We also weren't passing blocking well. Schaub was only completing about 60% of his passes. Also, the clock stops on an incomplete pass. We were on our own three. The game was tied. There was less than 2 minutes to go. Miami had three timeouts. Our punter averages a net of about 43 yards.

Taking all that into account, we ran the ball not because Kubiak thought that was the most efficient way to get into field goal range, but because given all the factors, it was the best way to win the game. He wanted to see if Miami was going to use their timeouts and didn't want to leave too much time on the clock and allow a very short Miami drive for a winning field goal. Even if we just run out the clock, we have a better than average chance to win the game in overtime. The odds of winning the game from our own 3 yard line, weren't good and it's reasonable that the head coach wouldn't want to put the opposing team in a favorable position. Have you ever heard of the football expression "field position"?
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #22
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't totally disagree with your take, but remember that the Fins still had Timeouts. If we throw on 1st down, and it's incomplete, the Dolphins may have called a TO, and tried to get the ball back. OTOH, when they ran and Miami did not call for the TO, then I would have liked a little more urgency to get the play off unless they truly did intend to run the clock down and go for the OT period. All in all, I was glad Kubes decided to grow a pair and go for it, but you are right in that clock management still seems to be a bugaboo.
Agreed. I thought the run was an obvious call even in light of the nonexistent
running game. Taylor was giving Schaub problems, and a safety would not have been good. Although the one yard plunge didn't really help. My biggest problem was that they drained probably 20 seconds off of the clock, then came the 19 yard completion, followed by a sense of urgency. One play to late IMO.
Old 10-08-2007   #23
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
We also weren't passing blocking well. Schaub was only completing about 60% of his passes. Also, the clock stops on an incomplete pass. We were on our own three. The game was tied. There was less than 2 minutes to go. Miami had three timeouts. Our punter averages a net of about 43 yards.

Taking all that into account, we ran the ball not because Kubiak thought that was the most efficient way to get into field goal range, but because given all the factors, it was the best way to win the game. He wanted to see if Miami was going to use their timeouts and didn't want to leave too much time on the clock and allow a very short Miami drive for a winning field goal
QFT! Good Post

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #24
Twitch-Houston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 290 Twitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
One play to late IMO.

The run was to test when Miami was going to call a timeout. Kubiak didn't want to give Miami the ball in good field position with a lot of time on the clock. The big pass to OD made a difference in the fact that they could try and get in field goal range.
Twitch-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #25
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I sense that some of the 'booing' was out of frustration. It's tough to root for a losing team year after year. Winning teams take chances, which is exactly what we did to win the game yesterday.
Old 10-08-2007   #26
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I sense that some of the 'booing' was out of frustration. It's tough to root for a losing team year after year. Winning teams take chances, which is exactly what we did to win the game yesterday.
I only heard scattered booing here and there....wasn't that noticeable to me at all.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #27
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I only heard scattered booing here and there....wasn't that noticeable to me at all.
yeah, I didn't hear that much either.
Old 10-08-2007   #28
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
yeah, I didn't hear that much either.
You guys are surrounded with Bullpen members. Trust me, the huckabees in the 600's were doing a lot of booing.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #29
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
You guys are surrounded with Bullpen members. Trust me, the huckabees in the 600's were doing a lot of booing.
nah, I'm up in 500's, south (dark side) end zone. I hear boos, just not a stadium full. I think some folks were having Capers' "play not to lose" flashbacks. JMO.
Old 10-08-2007   #30
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Texan fans are idiots too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
WTF Texan fans?!!? Section 120, there was a Texan on Texan brawl....
Was that the NE corner? I noticed everyone in the two/three sections by the corner was focused towards the aisle at one point.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #31
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
nope, I was on the 50 yard line

Old 10-08-2007   #32
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
I told someone to please be quiet on one of our fourth downs, got glared at, then I pointed to the video screen that had "QUIET - OFFENSE AT WORK" on it.

I am amazed at how much football knowledge and understanding was lost during the NFL's absence from Houston. I always took it for granted as an Oilers fan.
/agreed

we used to be some of the more intelligent football fans back in the day. we saw everything humanly possible happen to the Oilers so we knew what to look out for and had seen just about every scenario play itself out (mostly to the Oilers detriment)

i am so happy our season is going better and the franchise seems to be going in the right direction. now that we are a real team and we can compete, it feels kinda like the old school Oilers-era in that now the losses hurt SOOO much more. Not 'Oilers-era hurt' just yet, but its getting there. I just believe in the team now so the losses are harder to accept. Losing to Peyton is just part and parcel of being in his division, but losing to the Falcons was embarassing. Luckily we did just enough to beat the Fins so we can now get down to our Divisional business. Next stop Jacksonville!!!
Old 10-08-2007   #33
YellerLotYeller
nice marmot

Rep Power: 188 YellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respected

What about the dumbasses that come to the sections with free giveaways to toss out while we are on offense. I told the guy to wait until we score or we're on defense, and he looked at me like...huh? People start screaming like he's throwing out thousand dollar bills.

Also, they need to keep the "Quiet Sign" going all game, not just in the first quarter.
YellerLotYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #34
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
as an earlier poster noted (Marcus?) it was the playcalling police. its standard in any NFL arena nowadays. Geez, now it happens in college football constantly in every conference. (see Greg Davis). it happens everywhere.

I side with the fans because it looked like Kubiak was going to play for overtime initially with that 1st play and playing for OT would have been a mistake. luckily, he was possibly lulling the Dolphins into sleep, draining the timeouts, and trying to get his QB some room to throw with the threat of the run. A safety would have been GAME OVER at that point.

it's now obvious that he actually did a GREAT job with clock management which is a big step considering his huge clock management gaffes the previous two games.

OT - fwiw - Cameron looked completely lost out there Sunday at times. I think its overwhelming him and he looks like a deer in headlights. Huizenga isnt exactly patient and this could be 'one and done' if they don't turn things around fast. Cameron has done a good job putting Brown into position to make plays ala LT but there is more to being a Head Coach than being an OC. If Green is out for any significant amount of time, then that could help Cameron keep his job another year but it would be on a short leash. Wayne would love to hire a Cowher as he loves to make a big splash.
Old 10-08-2007   #35
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
I side with the fans because it looked like Kubiak was going to play for overtime initially with that 1st play and playing for OT would have been a mistake. luckily, he was possibly lulling the Dolphins into sleep, draining the timeouts, and trying to get his QB some room to throw with the threat of the run. A safety would have been GAME OVER at that point.

it's now obvious that he actually did a GREAT job with clock management which is a big step considering his huge clock management gaffes the previous two games.

OT - fwiw - Cameron looked completely lost out there Sunday at times. I think its overwhelming him and he looks like a deer in headlights. Huizenga isnt exactly patient and this could be 'one and done' if they don't turn things around fast. Cameron has done a good job putting Brown into position to make plays ala LT but there is more to being a Head Coach than being an OC. If Green is out for any significant amount of time, then that could help Cameron keep his job another year but it would be on a short leash. Wayne would love to hire a Cowher as he loves to make a big splash.
I sat with Herv and he can tell you that I called the run and we discussed why you should not pass on that first play...but some fans were booing anyway. I also discussed Cameron's idiotic play calling. Brown was going off for about 7 ypc in the first half and they come out throwing the ball after halftime. I told him if I was a Dolphin fan I'd be an unhappy fan.

Old 10-08-2007   #36
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I sat with Herv and he can tell you that I called the run and we discussed why you should not pass on that first play...but some fans were booing anyway. I also discussed Cameron's idiotic play calling. Brown was going off for about 7 ypc in the first half and they come out throwing the ball after halftime. I told him if I was a Dolphin fan I'd be an unhappy fan.
oh we had timeouts so i had no problem with them running it to get room but I think the fans were booing what they perceived was 'playing for overtime' rather than the running play itself. they had seen Kubes go conservative in similar situations and didn't want to allow the game to basically come down to a coin flip.

oh yeah, Brown looked great and was cutting back into the gaps from Weaver and Mario ala LT early in the game...totally exposing Mario and Okoye on a few plays...breaking tackles...doing it all....but then once Green was gone and Cleo was in, he just seemed completely lost and broken. Cameron is just overwhelmed and its only gonna get tougher with an 0-5 team that is probably 2 losses away from season long cruise control by the whole team.

I feel sorry for the guy because the Miami media is extremely hard on their football coaches when they lose...and their losing; in spades
Old 10-08-2007   #37
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
Was that the NE corner? I noticed everyone in the two/three sections by the corner was focused towards the aisle at one point.
YUP.. That was it. It was a couple rows in front of me but the opposite side of the section.
Old 10-08-2007   #38
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
Stop complaining about the Fans!!! Every other NFL team has the same problems. I have heard this soo many times, we are not idiots its just how it goes. It really is not that bad, get over it!
Leave Texans fan alone!!!!!!
Old 10-08-2007   #39
Battle Red Flash
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Battle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performer

Quote:
I was at the game yesterday and was very disappointed with the fans- as usual. First of all, they are yelling and cheering everytime the team goes for it on 4th down.

Mostly, though, I can't stand the booing. I booed and heckled in 2005 because it was a ridiculous and embarrassing display.
On 1st down, we ran the ball from our own 3. Any fans that don't understand why the team would run there, I can't understand why they'd sit in the stands, spend their money, and watch this game-which is clearly foreign to them.
You are right about anyone yelling when the Texans are on offense, and have broken the huddle. Texans fans should be quiet.

Now, on the other point, I did not boo, but came close, because I feared Kubes was about to run the ball 3 times and go to overtime. I felt the people that booed were tired of Kubes conservative play callng and bad clock management over the last 3 or so games. They feared he had chosen not to even try for a FG drive.
I've seen other teams throw in that situation, and it worked. I've seen teams throw a bomb from there and it's worked. So running there was not the only choice. You agree with Kubes, and that's fine, but it does not make others wrong.
Old 10-08-2007   #40
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Red Flash View Post
You are right about anyone yelling when the Texans are on offense, and have broken the huddle. Texans fans should be quiet.

Now, on the other point, I did not boo, but came close, because I feared Kubes was about to run the ball 3 times and go to overtime. I felt the people that booed were tired of Kubes conservative play callng and bad clock management over the last 3 or so games. They feared he had chosen not to even try for a FG drive.
I've seen other teams throw in that situation, and it worked. I've seen teams throw a bomb from there and it's worked. So running there was not the only choice. You agree with Kubes, and that's fine, but it does not make others wrong.
take a sack there and the games over...he did the right thing.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read