Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-08-2007   #1
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Please get OD involved in the red zone!!

I'm thankful for the win today, but I still am concerned with our red zone offense. I believe if we get Daniels involved more, that could solve this problem. Of course, having Johnson and Green healthy would help too, but I just don't think we're utilizing Daniels as effectively as we should. He's shown that he can take the hits over the middle and hold on to the ball, and in my opinion, that's the part of the passing game needed once inside the 20. Just my What do you guys think?
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #2
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 106584 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Please get OD involved in the red zone!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
I'm thankful for the win today, but I still am concerned with our red zone offense. I believe if we get Daniels involved more, that could solve this problem. Of course, having Johnson and Green healthy would help too, but I just don't think we're utilizing Daniels as effectively as we should. He's shown that he can take the hits over the middle and hold on to the ball, and in my opinion, that's the part of the passing game needed once inside the 20. Just my What do you guys think?
Oh you mean play action on first down? Throw to the TE that is wide open doing a crossword puzzle?

Yeah that would be a nice option. Never fear though - our vaunted short yardage run game will save us. Four rushes for two yards is what we all dream about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #3
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

As an OD fantasy owner, I agree with this thread!
Old 10-08-2007   #4
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Do we have any big ugly linemen that would like to be a running back every once in a while?

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #5
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Oh you mean play action on first down? Throw to the TE that is wide open doing a crossword puzzle?

Yeah that would be a nice option. Never fear though - our vaunted short yardage run game will save us. Four rushes for two yards is what we all dream about.
LOL
There's no need for sarcasm.
hahahahaha
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #6
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post

PapaL, this is what we discussed in the game thread yesterday. I think on 1st or 2nd down, the play action, hit the TE wide open works 99% of the time. Kubes just has this annoying fascination with trying to prove we can run the slowest back in the league right at the teeth of the defense.
Old 10-08-2007   #7
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Do we have any big ugly linemen that would like to be a running back every once in a while?
As much as I would hate to have him leave A&M early - can we draft Javorski (I know I didn't spell that right- but I'm too lazy to look it up) Lane next year? What a moose!! And did you see that 49 yd pass??
Old 10-08-2007   #8
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Until these last 2 games without AJ, green & jones, we were doing fine in the red zone. I think you guys are jumping the gun a bit; we're no different than any other team sans Indy & NE. It gets tighter down in there, i suspect it would be harder to punch it in without our 3 top playmakers.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #9
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 17420 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

I can endorse the use of Daniels more often. I can also agree with the fact that we were doing quite well before the onset of injuries to key players. Can't wait till we're healthy.

Also, has anyone else noticed how open the left side of the field always seems to be, when we're in the in the Red Zone?

Old 10-08-2007   #10
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Until these last 2 games without AJ, green & jones, we were doing fine in the red zone. I think you guys are jumping the gun a bit; we're no different than any other team sans Indy & NE. It gets tighter down in there, i suspect it would be harder to punch it in without our 3 top playmakers.
The problem isn't just red zone though, you can take it to all situations 3rd and short too. They can't get the movement when needed. You are right regarding playmakers so that means instead of forcing it we should mix it up to overcome the talent shortage.
Old 10-08-2007   #11
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
The problem isn't just red zone though, you can take it to all situations 3rd and short too. They can't get the movement when needed. You are right regarding playmakers so that means instead of forcing it we should mix it up to overcome the talent shortage.
agreed, although i'm like kubes & would rather punch it in on the ground b/c i don't like how close in proximity the Defense is when trying to pass in the red zone, it makes me nervous.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #12
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Isn't OD one of our playmakers? I mean, the guy has been clutch between the 20 yard lines but once the offense gets into scoring position, they go away from him.
Old 10-08-2007   #13
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Isn't OD one of our playmakers? I mean, the guy has been clutch between the 20 yard lines but once the offense gets into scoring position, they go away from him.
Yes he is and as I said I really don't understand not running that play action at the goalline alot more on 1st and 2nd down...3rd down you really aren't fooling anyone. I meant more of Green getting that one yard or AJ on slants.
Old 10-08-2007   #14
real

Owen Daniels is more of a stretch the field kind of TE...

I think he can be effective in the red zone, but I don't think it's one of his strengths...
Old 10-08-2007   #15
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 106584 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
PapaL, this is what we discussed in the game thread yesterday. I think on 1st or 2nd down, the play action, hit the TE wide open works 99% of the time. Kubes just has this annoying fascination with trying to prove we can run the slowest back in the league right at the teeth of the defense.
I agree 100%. The only issue I have the play calling is the goal line/short yardage. We have been absolutely horrible.

Play action on 1st. (When they expect the run)
Run on second. (When they expect pass)
Spread them out on third. (Stretch them out)
Kick on 4th. (Kickers need points as well)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #16
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20 Mr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of Famer

I'll sign this petition. Owen always seems to come up big when the ball is thrown to him. I'd like to see him get involved in the red zone offense. he is a truly underrated player, and one of our best offensive weapons. Throw it to OD for the TD.
Mr PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
When you are in the red zone the defenders have less space to protect and the end zone is only 10 yards deep...so you no longer have to cover and defend the field vertically. This is where you miss your skill guys the most....hence our problems.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #18
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
When you are in the red zone the defenders have less space to protect and the end zone is only 10 yards deep...so you no longer have to cover and defend the field vertically. This is where you miss your skill guys the most....hence our problems.
Yeah, I agree we definitely are missing our skill players, but why not take a shot into the end zone once we cross the 20? It seems like the offense is just working it's way to the goal line and when they get to within 5yds., they stall. I'm just saying they need to take a shot when they get to just within the 20. Schaub has been very effective with pass plays of 20 yards or more and Owens has that speed to get into the end zone. And quite frankly, I'm tired of Dayne.
Old 10-08-2007   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, I agree we definitely are missing our skill players, but why not take a shot into the end zone once we cross the 20? It seems like the offense is just working it's way to the goal line and when they get to within 5yds., they stall. I'm just saying they need to take a shot when they get to just within the 20. Schaub has been very effective with pass plays of 20 yards or more and Owens has that speed to get into the end zone. And quite frankly, I'm tired of Dayne.
like I said...we are missing our skill guys and the field shrinks. Believe it or not, players matter and there is smaller margin for error as there is less space to defend.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #20
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 65846 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post

How many times did you look at a play and think what Ahman Green or Andre Johnson would have done with that play?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read