Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-07-2007   #81
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP
Default Re: tj

I was there and we were yelling at Travis for getting the penalty. But when we saw the replay, I realized that a) Green did that to himself and could have seriously hurt Travis too and b) Travis was yelling at Green because of what Green did to him, not what he did to Green. That's the biggest distinction for me, and I hope that Travis is not fined.
Old 10-07-2007   #82
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 85564 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth View Post
no they go low. and im not talking about the lineman like what they do to mario. im talking about running backs and often the guy flying through the middle flips in the air.

alright im through with this thread. some people apparantly think what tj did is fine. big win for our team, we need this one.
my problem with the wording here is that a runningback going directly towards a defensive end is very commonplace (as long as they're not engaged), however it's directly infront of the defender so that they're able to see it coming and protect themselves. green came in from TJ's blind side and threw a low block that TJ couldnt have possibly seen coming. it probably wasnt illegal (since it wasnt completely from behind), but it was close enough to me to be a very dangerous play and the reason so many rules are put in place to protect players.
Old 10-07-2007   #83
jaybird
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
I hope that Travis is not fined.
I agree... I don't see any reason why he should be fined for a taunting penalty... I'm not sure anyone ever has been fined for one before.
Old 10-07-2007   #84
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53441 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

What TJ did was wrong - no doubt. Everyone makes mistakes and this one cost the team big time.

HOWEVER - what he did was verbal. People are making it sound like he did an unforgivable physical thing. Green made an irresponsible block, it was a crazy play. Crazy plays are when bad mistakes are likely to happen. Green made a bad mistake and payed for it big time. I hope he is ok and it sounds like TJ regrets his actions. So it is over.
Old 10-07-2007   #85
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53441 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

By the way, did anyone else see what looked like a major clip just before that block on the same play? (different players)

Honestly asking. We were at the game and forgot to tape it. We were very upset at the time that they didn't call a clip.
Old 10-07-2007   #86
jaybird
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
By the way, did anyone else see what looked like a major clip just before that block on the same play? (different players)

Honestly asking. We were at the game and forgot to tape it. We were very upset at the time that they didn't call a clip.

Looked like a really good block, but I haven't really paid attention during the replays of it, will have to watch it again.
Old 10-07-2007   #87
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
Looked like a really good block, but I haven't really paid attention during the replays of it, will have to watch it again.
There are unwritten rules in the NFL, and Green broke one of them, he hit TJ at the knees, from the blindside or from the front, doesn't matter. Players in the NFL get real mad when hit around the knees.

Travis jump up mad at the hit, yelling at Green. As he approached he realized that Green was not moving, and he stopped. He apologized to Kubiak, his teammates, the Dolphins, and I believe Green. Travis was not taunting, but reacting to a questionable hit. He let his emotions get the best of him in that moment.

He has grown up and he knows that Green on the ground could have been a very bad thing. Also I think the ref threw the flag a little fast, but it was a QB that was down.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-07-2007   #88
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinch1134 View Post
This was also in that ESPN link "Texans defensive tackle Travis Johnson hit Green in the head with his knee before Ginn was tackled by Anthony Weaver. After the play ended, Johnson stood over Green and taunted him, drawing a 15-yard penalty."

So Travis jumped up and kneed Trent Green. No, Trent Green put his helmet into Travis' knee.
ESPN can't spin a quote. When it is directly from the guys mouth, that is what I go off of. You can take it out of context but the quote I put was a mix of indignation and "so what"1) Was it a cheap block to take out someones knees...maybe career ending..on a play like that?YES 2) Did TJ have a right to be peeved?YES 3) Once he saw the guy lying on the ground lifeless should he have backed off..YES. 4) After assessing the scene post game should he have explained his side and then apologized for the reation and said it was aprt of the game?YES

My problem isn't with TJ being pissed. My problem is getting down over the guy, pointing and taunting at the time it happened. My problem is after the fact not just saying it was a cheap block but then saying he shouldn't have taunted. My problem is with a guy making a bonehead penalty on a play where we stopped them. We aren't good enough to have idiots doing those things.
Old 10-07-2007   #89
jaybird
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
As he approached he realized that Green was not moving, and he stopped.

ummmmm no... he didn't.... he was yelling all the way to the sidelines... and actually stood over Trent for awhile yelling at him...

he apologized afterwards... but was yelling until his coaches got ahold of him.
Old 10-07-2007   #90
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 112924 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

My understanding; at the LOS a player is allowed to block low if the other player is not engaged. In the open field a block must be above the waist.

jaybird - Seriously give it up. You sound like my 5 year old. Nanny Nanny Boo Boo - Go stick your head in doo doo. Count the time - 3 dang seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007   #91
jaybird
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post

jaybird - Seriously give it up. You sound like my 5 year old. Nanny Nanny Boo Boo - Go stick your head in doo doo. Count the time - 3 dang seconds.
Hey - if ya'll want to be wrong it's fine with me man... I thought it was funny that Coach Gary actually agreed with me
Old 10-07-2007   #92
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 112924 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
Hey - if ya'll want to be wrong it's fine with me man... I thought it was funny that Coach Gary actually agreed with me
I'm sure Gary called you confirm your thoughts. Maybe you guys can share some crumpets and tea during the week.

Quote:
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
Old 10-07-2007   #93
jaybird
Veteran

Quote:
I'm sure Gary called you confirm your thoughts. Maybe you guys can share some crumpets and tea during the week.
No... but I listened to his presser and he said basically the same thing I and a few other knowledgeable fans have said...
Old 10-07-2007   #94
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjmac2 View Post
Travis got caught up in the heat of the moment. I don't know him personally, but so far he has shown nothing, on or off the field, to indicate that he is "classless" or a bad guy.

The type of block Trent Green threw is dangerous, especially when you do it when the other guy is not looking, as you could end a players career by wrecking their knee(s). That's why Travis was hovering above Trent Green, he was mad.

I played football, and have had a guy cut block me before while I wasn't looking. The initial reaction is to rip someones head off. It's a legal block, and I wouldn't classify it as dirty, but I would say it's a "cheap" block.

My point is, I think Travis deserves the benefit of the doubt. I have not heard any post game comments, but I'm sure Travis feels bad about his actions.
Agreed, Green threw a nasty block that can easily end a career. TJ needs to keep his head, but when guys get hurt doing what Green did, its really hard to feel THAT bad for them. It sucks that hes hurt, but did you see the replay of it? TJ rolled on his head. He could have been seriously hurt as well. SSo I have a hard time feeling that bad for Green when he headbutted TJ's knee and got hurt. Sorry if that offends you, but just my opinion.

Last edited by BigBull17; 10-07-2007 at 08:47 PM.
BigBull17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007   #95
White Runningback
Veteran

Taunting is wrong, plain and simple. TJ took a bad spill, but should know that if the attempt to block him was dirty, he would have squared him up and dove at his knees.

**** happens.
White Runningback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007   #96
PapaL
Loose Screw

There's a huge difference between Taunting and mouthing off if the heat of the moment. Taunting is malicious in nature; intentional. TJ was hot - hell I was hot after seeing that block. Unfortunately the rule doesn't distinguish between the two and it is solely up to the ref to decide.

Quote:
Old 10-07-2007   #97
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

To be quite frank, I didn't read all 58 pages of this already (exagerations, 7?)

Is what TJ did wrong and should he have been a 'bigger man'? YES, definitly yes.

But I didn't see it as TJ taunting Green one bit. (I understand the penalty) I saw TJ as being pissed some Miami Dolphin blindsided him and took him out at the knees with his helmet, and made him flip over. In reality I think Green was just ducking to try a trip him.

TJ just got up pissed at it, Green could have been down like that that 'crying' like Adam Morrisson in the final 4's, pissed because Ted Ginn just had a -20 some odd run.

Was the penalty called for yes. Do I think TJ is totally classless and trying to rub it in to a man with a concussion...NO.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007   #98
White Runningback
Veteran

Quote:
There's a huge difference between Taunting and mouthing off if the heat of the moment. Taunting is malicious in nature; intentional. TJ was hot - hell I was hot after seeing that block. Unfortunately the rule doesn't distinguish between the two and it is solely up to the ref to decide.
Where do you draw the line? It's nebulous at best.
Old 10-07-2007   #99
PapaL
Loose Screw

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Runningback View Post
Where do you draw the line? It's nebulous at best.
Exactly - The rule does not distinguish between right or wrong. Mouth off or show boat and you risk a 15 yard penalty. It's a moot point.

Quote:
Old 10-07-2007   #100
White Runningback
Veteran

Quote:
Exactly - The rule does not distinguish between right or wrong. Mouth off or show boat and you risk a 15 yard penalty. It's a moot point.
Then I guess you have to penalize everything or nothing. Bottom line is, he stood over the guy and taunted him. IMO, taunting is unnecessary in all instances.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read