Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-08-2007   #241
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4662 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: F The Associated Press

chop blocks are legal by offensive linemen in between the tackles and with in 3 yards of the line of scrimage.
Old 10-08-2007   #242
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: TJ Worst person in the NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownsportsfan View Post
TJ is an *****! Not for getting mad during the game but you sure as hell dont go on a rant in front of the press and use curse words about an injured palyer. Then he had to take the walk of shame and come out and apologize after Kubiak read him the riot act for embarresing him (Kubiak). Apparently Johnson apologized to Kubiak during the game for getting a penalty, so Kubiak in his presser adrdressed TJ and said how he was growing up. In the meatime TJ goes and runs off at the mouth about how he had respect for Green at 12:01 but now F--- Him! Nice! Then he met with Kubiak and came out and apologized for his rant, what the hell did he think the Texans organizations reaction would be to that kind of crap. On the field in one thing but off the field is just embaressing to TJ and the Texans!
Now this I agree with. After the play, TJ saw the man being carted off the field. Had the whole second half to think about it and come up with something better to say. Yeah, its one thing to be pissed but its quite another to let that anger turn you into an a$$hole.

AND someone from the coaching staff or Texans' PR bunch should have seen these questrions coming and told him to say "no comment" before the press got there.

Look, its already made Wikipedia....

Quote:
Travis Johnson (born April 26, 1982 in Sherman Oaks, California) is an American football defensive tackle for the Houston Texans of the NFL. He attended Sherman Oaks Notre Dame High School in Sherman Oaks, California. He was drafted with the 16th overall pick in the 2005 NFL Draft out of Florida State University. His playing time has been limited due to reoccurring injuries.
Johnson was involved in an incident on October 7, 2007. While playing the Miami Dolphins, quarterback Trent Green attempted to block Johnson. Johnson's knee impacted Green's head, knocking him unconscious and giving Green a second severe concussion in as many years. While Green lay motionless on the ground, Johnson stood over him, apparently shouting and making taunting gestures. Johnson received a penalty for his behavior.
That didn't even take 24 hours.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #243
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 147070 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Oberman can stick it. I think TJ was wrong to go off in the locker room interview, but I don't think he was wrong to react the way he did after the play. Some fool just went after his knee and TJ could have ended up with severe knee AND neck injury because of a stupid cheap shot. Green is not w/o blame here either.
Old 10-08-2007   #244
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 11734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

could one of you mods change the title of this thread back to just tj. the way it is now makes it look like im saying something i didnt say.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #245
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotexan2 View Post
Oberman can stick it. I think TJ was wrong to go off in the locker room interview, but I don't think he was wrong to react the way he did after the play. Some fool just went after his knee and TJ could have ended up with severe knee AND neck injury because of a stupid cheap shot. Green is not w/o blame here either.
Agree for the most part. Everyone's up in arms b/c Green got carted off & his career is likely over, but what if that happened to TJ with season ending knee/leg surgery or worse, a severe neck injury that could've threatened his career? I doubt the fallout would be the same.

With all the rules that have been developed & instituted to protect QB's, Green of all Qb's with his history of leg injuries in STL & concussions in KC, should've known better.

I can't fault TJ for getting heated during the game, but he could've curbed it a little after the game.

As far as Olberman, i hate that they brought him on the show; i generally dislike it when people on TV/radio are trying too hard to be funny.

Last edited by Mr teX; 10-08-2007 at 09:20 AM.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #246
gwallaia

Rep Power: 88694 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth View Post
could one of you mods change the title of this thread back to just tj. the way it is now makes it look like im saying something i didnt say.
I'll change it. I tried to merge some of the 20 something threads on the same subject into one. But I realized it was futile because as soon as I merged two together, four more would pop up.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #247
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 56302 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
I'll change it. I tried to merge some of the 20 something threads on the same subject into one. But I realized it was futile because as soon as I merged two together, four more would pop up.
It is like playing a mod version of whack a mole
Old 10-08-2007   #248
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 7477 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotexan2 View Post
Regardless of if you think TJ had a right to be upset about the hit (I think he did, ftr) it was pretty dumb of him to taunt a motionless QB in front of the officials ... especially when your team isn't playing very well. Luckily for us our kicker pulled a few kicks out of his wazoo and the Dolphins suck.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #249
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 173001 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we should start a new thread when replying to anything related to TJ, Green, or football.

I guess this is better than talking about our RB issues though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #250
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Travis Johnson and Trent Green

Ive watched the replay at least a few times, and TJ's initial reaction was not a taunt. He got up, pointed, and yelled at Green. He was pissed for having his legs taken out from under him on a cheap shot.

The rant in the locker room was still stupid though
Old 10-08-2007   #251
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Young men full of testosterone who aggressively hit each other at full speed with body armor for millions of dollars get upset when someone goes after their knees and their lively hood. Itís a violent game that produces violent emotions. Yeah, TJ was full of **** and hot air, but so are a lot of football players. I think this is an issue that is totally overblown by the media and fans.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #252
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Young men full of testosterone who aggressively hit each other at full speed with body armor for millions of dollars get upset when someone goes after their knees and their lively hood. Itís a violent game that produces violent emotions. Yeah, TJ was full of **** and hot air, but so are a lot of football players. I think this is an issue that is totally overblown by the media and fans.
Church!
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #253
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Mike Golic COMPLETELY agreed with Travis.
And then Mike Ditka came on the show later and agreed with Golic. Ditka said he only did it once, and he did it on purpose, but he said once and only once has he done that.

Deion Sanders on Gameday understood where Travis is coming from, but he thought his post game comments went a little too far. Deion said he thinks the grace period should be longer, because he went too far.

I agree, his post game comments were too far. I think he understands that. I know he's mad but if you don't have any thing nice to say, just keep it to yourself.

Also I hope by the end of this year people will know Travis by his play this year and not this incident. I am really looking forward for him to continue his solid play and get better. Hopefully he's pissed that some of the reporters didn't know his name, maybe next week you need to give reason for them to remember the Name.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #254
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

My two cents echoes the opinions of a few others' I've already here.

What most people don't seem to realize or acknowledge is that everything happens very quickly on the playing field. Especially in the NFL. This is particularly evidenced by the fact that most of the comments here--especially the harshest--are corroborated with statements like "when I watched the replay ..."

Well, it should be obvious but neither TJ nor Green had the benefit of the replay, hindsight or foresight when they collided on the field. We'll never know exactly what went through Green's head or exactly what parts of that thought process were malicious and what were reactionary and reflexive. Similarly I would venture to guess that TJ's initial reaction was just that--a reaction--and that there is no way in the midst of that initial burst of reflexive anger (which is absolutely bred into football players more than any other athletes) that he was aware of or could know that Green had just been seriously hurt. He didn't have the benefit of slow motion replay and every last one of our bodies is programmed with a similar set of reflexes (instincts)--when we perceive threat of or sustain an injury, we react. We can shape or hone these reflexes and instincts and emotions through deliberate training but we can never mute them. His comments to the press afterwards were immature but there is absolutely no way you can believe that Green's injury was intentional on his part, and it seems like a lot of people are still touting that and the subsequent "taunting" as evidence of TJ being a dirty player. Bullhock. A grown man reacted to what he perceived in that instant as a vicious hit.

As a former athlete I can attest to what happens "in an instant" and how even otherwise noble or moral people can lose it in the heat of the moment. My personal opinion of TJ, having spent very limited time with him off the field, is that he ain't the brightest bulb in the box. But doesn't seem like he deserves a lot (some, sure, but not a lot) of the bad rap he's being given for it now.
Old 10-08-2007   #255
real

A lot of you very much craved for the Texans to get more media coverage...

We have a winning record...

You wanted the media, you got it...the good and the bad...
Old 10-08-2007   #256
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

I had the same thing happen to me my freshman year of high school and my knee hasn't been right ever since. TJ had every reason to be raging mad.

I would have done the same thing if I could have walked over to do it. He is so lucky that his knee or head isn't jacked up after that play.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #257
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 317-6-8, 115 Q6
Rep Power: 49241 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek View Post
My two cents echoes the opinions of a few others' I've already here.

What most people don't seem to realize or acknowledge is that everything happens very quickly on the playing field. Especially in the NFL. This is particularly evidenced by the fact that most of the comments here--especially the harshest--are corroborated with statements like "when I watched the replay ..."

Well, it should be obvious but neither TJ nor Green had the benefit of the replay, hindsight or foresight when they collided on the field. We'll never know exactly what went through Green's head or exactly what parts of that thought process were malicious and what were reactionary and reflexive. Similarly I would venture to guess that TJ's initial reaction was just that--a reaction--and that there is no way in the midst of that initial burst of reflexive anger (which is absolutely bred into football players more than any other athletes) that he was aware of or could know that Green had just been seriously hurt. He didn't have the benefit of slow motion replay and every last one of our bodies is programmed with a similar set of reflexes (instincts)--when we perceive threat of or sustain an injury, we react. We can shape or hone these reflexes and instincts and emotions through deliberate training but we can never mute them. His comments to the press afterwards were immature but there is absolutely no way you can believe that Green's injury was intentional on his part, and it seems like a lot of people are still touting that and the subsequent "taunting" as evidence of TJ being a dirty player. Bullhock. A grown man reacted to what he perceived in that instant as a vicious hit.

As a former athlete I can attest to what happens "in an instant" and how even otherwise noble or moral people can lose it in the heat of the moment. My personal opinion of TJ, having spent very limited time with him off the field, is that he ain't the brightest bulb in the box. But doesn't seem like he deserves a lot (some, sure, but not a lot) of the bad rap he's being given for it now.
I can agree with the heat of the moment and within a second or two I can give TJ the benefit of the doubt that he wasn't aware of the extent of TG's injury and being pissed off about the block. However, once Green was carted off the field, it should have been clear that the situation had a great impact of both players.

The post-game interveiw was about three hours after the incident occurred, and it didn't appear that TJ had any sympathy for what had happened in the heat of the moment. He appeared to be just as angry then as he was after the incident, and going on to make statements about him having to eat, which is obvious, and further making a statement that God doesn't like ugly. To me that sounds like a person that could care less about the injury and that he possibly got what he deserved. Team mates and Texan PR people tried desparately to get Johnson stop talking, yet he continued on until he finished what he had to say.

My question is whether Johnson is upset or not, after three hours, was his response and behavior for the "good" of the team? Did our spectacular day and Brown's crowning moments need to be marred throughout the sports world because Johnson's anger and insisting on having the last word against all the advice around him? Over the years, much has been said by fans about their pride in the Texans being a "classy" organization. That post-game interview did not reflect such. Also, IMO, the apology was pretty hollow given that he probably had no choice after the organization gave him an ultimatum.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #258
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

The blog Kissing Suzy Kolber has a decidedly contrarian point of view to this in the provocative way that KSK does stuff. Warning, the language is vulgar but if that bugs you, you were probably bugged a lot if you went to the game yesterday because there was a lot of profanity there too:

Trent Green's Signature Rollout

Quote:
And don't even talk to me about that block that Green was allegedly executing on Johnson. That "block" was bull****. You don't put your hat under a guy's knee like that without realizing that you could put him on the shelf for good. You're gonna take away a man's livelihood for a 4-yard gain? Easy for you. You already made your millions while you were warming the bench for Kurt Warner.

Quote:
And this very same ****head faction is going to follow Olbermann's lead and crucify Travis Johnson, despite the fact that, had his role been reversed with Green's, he would have taken a 15-yard contact-below-the-knee penalty, and probably an ejection. Yeah, maybe I'm crazy for wanting to paint Travistar as the victim here over the poor white quarterback that ALWAYS finds a way to get hurt, but that ******* has every rule in the game designed to ensure his success (and safety), so I'm less than inclined to cut him any more slack.

Johnson's only crime was being excited that Green's pisspoor blocking skill didn't end his career. **** forbid he have the audacity to be upset at anyone that had shown such disregard, or that he be demonstrative when such a maneuver backfires on the agressor. Trav's knee won that matchup fair and square. And besides, If Trent's head was any stronger than a ****ing chandelier, it almost certainly would have been Travistar getting carted off the field.

And would Green have taunted him? No, because Green's a *****.
Old 10-08-2007   #259
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Our thoughts and prayers go out to quarterback Trent Green today as he recovers from a hit where his head collided with the knee of Travis Jackson, whom Green was attempting to impede. Hopefully this won't be...wait, what's that? He's alright? Well, **** him then.
Who's Travis Jackson?!!??
Old 10-08-2007   #260
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
The blog Kissing Suzy Kolber has a decidedly contrarian point of view to this in the provocative way that KSK does stuff. Warning, the language is vulgar but if that bugs you, you were probably bugged a lot if you went to the game yesterday because there was a lot of profanity there too:

Trent Green's Signature Rollout

Quote:
You think I'm shelling out a hundred bucks every month on four days of programming to see 300-pound black people shake hands?!?!
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read