Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-07-2007   #201
Hook'er
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 Hook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden cover
Default Re: TJ Worst person in the NFL

I gonna go purchase me a TJ jersey!
Old 10-07-2007   #202
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 241723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: F The Associated Press

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
yeah, Green brought the injury on himself by doing what he was supposed to do. makes sense.
Nobody else made Green lead with his head. He could have hit Travis in the chest but chose - CHOSE - to lead with his head and dive at Johnson's feet.

He's a 37-year old QB, been in the league forever. He ought to know when to get out of the way. Or at least know enough to find someone to block that isn't 300+ lbs. Duuh!
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007   #203
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

yeah, i don't think just standing around or getting out of the way would've looked too good for Green. the guy makes a block and a freak injury happens, meh, whatever. never seen it happen before, so i'm not going to call him an ***** for it.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007   #204
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: tj

Quote:
btw, as a QB, you're taught that, when there's a fumble or interception or designed play or whatever, you have to go low to block. just doesn't make much sense for the QB to try and block the 300 pound lineman. physics don't work in the QB's favor there. so you will ALWAYS see the QB go low. always.
K, you do have a point about QB training AND physics, but the physics get REAL ugly when you consider a 10 lb. head belonging to a 220 lb man getting slobberknockered by an 80lb. leg, belonging to a 300lb. man moving at a high(for the 300 lb. man) rate of speed. F=MA. I think I would teach my QB to cower on the field and scream "NOT IN THE FACE!!!" rather than teach them to throw their body in front of some relatively small body parts carrying LARGE amounts of force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Not really but that seems to be the consensus among people who didn't see what happened. Those people are commenting left and right about this and writing articles even as we speak. By mid-day Monday the UN will probably vote for sanctions against TJ.

For the record...

I don't believe that Green was trying to take out TJ's knee.
I don't believe that Green is much of a tackler to be honest.
I don't believe that TJ was trying to take out Green by kneeing him in the head.
I don't believe TJ even saw him until he felt the contact.
TJ didn't stand over a motionless, helpless Green and taunt him. TJ fired off a few choice words at the guy who he thought (mistakenly IMO) tried to block him low. When he saw that Green wasn't moving he dropped it and moved away.

Much of this is nothing more than misunderstanding and people judging it by what they heard or read. TJ isn't Albert Haynesworth. He didn't jump on somebodies head.
Herv, you bring things into perspective rather nicely, as always.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007   #205
Line_Producer
Party Rocker

Rep Power: 121 Line_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth View Post
you guys ever seen a running back pick up a blitzer low and the guy flips. pretty much the exact same play green made. totally legal and happens all the time. i really dont think you guys have watched much football.
Are you kidding me? A legal block like that even with trash talking wouldn't have called a penalty.

A quarterback with neck injuries leads with his head? I hate to call someone a short bus candidate, but seriously?
Line_Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007   #206
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Nobody else made Green lead with his head. He could have hit Travis in the chest but chose - CHOSE - to lead with his head and dive at Johnson's feet.

He's a 37-year old QB, been in the league forever. He ought to know when to get out of the way. Or at least know enough to find someone to block that isn't 300+ lbs. Duuh!
He's a 37 yr. old QB with a history of severe head trauma. Which came first, the head trauma or the dumb***?? He's had more concussions than Rocky Balboa, so what's he doing out there leading with his chin?? People living in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks, nor should people with glass chins lead with their head!
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007   #207
Line_Producer
Party Rocker

Rep Power: 121 Line_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I don't really have a problem with him being named Worst person in the NFL. He did kind of deserve it...
You. Are. Wrong. Flat. Out.
Sponsored links
Old 10-07-2007   #208
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

wait a minute, i just realized something. isn't Green's block the exact same technique that Kubiak teaches his linemen? "hey it ain't illegal so it ain't cheap!"
Old 10-07-2007   #209
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

I haven't really noticed too many cut blocks by texans linemen, maybe if we did more Dayne could finally see a hole to bumble through. Its also different when your 2 feet away facing each other at a stand still, and when your 6 feet away running in opposite directions at full speed.
Old 10-07-2007   #210
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

TJ is an *****! Not for getting mad during the game but you sure as hell dont go on a rant in front of the press and use curse words about an injured palyer. Then he had to take the walk of shame and come out and apologize after Kubiak read him the riot act for embarresing him (Kubiak). Apparently Johnson apologized to Kubiak during the game for getting a penalty, so Kubiak in his presser adrdressed TJ and said how he was growing up. In the meatime TJ goes and runs off at the mouth about how he had respect for Green at 12:01 but now F--- Him! Nice! Then he met with Kubiak and came out and apologized for his rant, what the hell did he think the Texans organizations reaction would be to that kind of crap. On the field in one thing but off the field is just embaressing to TJ and the Texans!

Support our troops
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007   #211
Line_Producer
Party Rocker

1- Green was trying to make a play.
2- TJ was trying to make a play.
3- TJ did not intentionally knee Green in the head.
4- TJ jawed as he was walking to the sidelines.

Sounds like football to me. As far as being professional. Don't block below the knees. Period. If he wasn't injured, then there would be no argument at all. That is what is upsetting.
Old 10-07-2007   #212
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Line_Producer View Post
As far as being professional. Don't block below the knees. Period.
Kubiak would need to find a new profession if that was a rule.
Old 10-07-2007   #213
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Not really but that seems to be the consensus among people who didn't see what happened. Those people are commenting left and right about this and writing articles even as we speak. By mid-day Monday the UN will probably vote for sanctions against TJ.

For the record...

I don't believe that Green was trying to take out TJ's knee.
I don't believe that Green is much of a tackler to be honest.
I don't believe that TJ was trying to take out Green by kneeing him in the head.
I don't believe TJ even saw him until he felt the contact.
TJ didn't stand over a motionless, helpless Green and taunt him. TJ fired off a few choice words at the guy who he thought (mistakenly IMO) tried to block him low. When he saw that Green wasn't moving he dropped it and moved away.

Much of this is nothing more than misunderstanding and people judging it by what they heard or read. TJ isn't Albert Haynesworth. He didn't jump on somebodies head.
Pretty fair.

The video helps some to get an understanding of it.

However, TJ did not help himself by what he said in the locker room after the game.

There isn't a complete transcript of it anywhere, but he basically went off on Green. Then the Texans staff had to woodshed him. And then he came back and apologized.
Old 10-07-2007   #214
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2030 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

It wasn't either guys fault, and TJ isn't the worst person in the NFL.

TJ was right to be angry about the play. Several things could have went wrong there. Knee injury, arm injury and neck injury all could have resulted for TJ on that play. It was a low block, and TJ shouldn't have been spun around like a ferris wheel on that play.

Green brought it on himself. Although I feel for the guy and I'm sorry he's had 2 concussions in 2 years, it was a pretty low block. I pray that he's alright and kicks ass next game he plays in.
Old 10-07-2007   #215
Line_Producer
Party Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownsportsfan View Post
TJ is an *****! ... In the meatime TJ goes and runs off at the mouth about how he had respect for Green at 12:01 but now F--- Him! Nice! Then he met with Kubiak and came out and apologized for his rant, what the hell did he think the Texans organizations reaction would be to that kind of crap. On the field in one thing but off the field is just embaressing to TJ and the Texans!
Umm...Of course he apologized after his boss said something. Everyone apologizes after the boss says something. If Green wasn't hurt this would be a moot issue.

Ah well. Life. Injuries. Previous neck injuries.
Old 10-07-2007   #216
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
wait a minute, i just realized something. isn't Green's block the exact same technique that Kubiak teaches his linemen? "hey it ain't illegal so it ain't cheap!"
A. Kubiak doesn't teach the linemen.

B. Those who teach the Texans linemen, do not teach the same technique that Denver uses.

B1. The Texans do not have a plug and play running game. Neither do the Broncos any more for that matter. That of course, is irrelevant to the point you are making but I figured I'd throw that in there.
Old 10-07-2007   #217
Line_Producer
Party Rocker

Quote:
Kubiak would need to find a new profession if that was a rule.
Sorry, let me rephrase. Cut blocking by offensive linemen and blocking by a player from the blindside on a 'return' are two competely different things. Any team.
Old 10-07-2007   #218
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
?? care to fill me in?
OK you guys who know nothing about football...I understand. I'm not going to go off. However, you got the trail defensive tackle doing what he is supposed to do, trail a revese and shut down the come back. The opposition QB tries to break the mans knees. Just to put a fine point on it, he lead his helmit into T.J. knees and it was shear luck that his cleats were not planted into the turff. Becuase if they were, Trent Green would of ended T.J.'s career. His knees are his livey hood. The way in which he delivered his displeasure might of been wrong. The message was not. Kuvbiak is dead wrong on this one. His temper and not his mind thought this one out. What he just told his locker room is I do not have your back. What he told every free agent who might think to come here in '08, I will not have your back. And what he told every psycho in the league is, you have my unmitagated permision to cheap shot my players. Not only will I not complain to the league, I will stand the guy up in front of the media and humiliate him. Mark it on your calenders. Gary Kubuiak lost this locker room Oct. the 11th 2007.
Old 10-07-2007   #219
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Pretty fair.

The video helps some to get an understanding of it.

However, TJ did not help himself by what he said in the locker room after the game.

There isn't a complete transcript of it anywhere, but he basically went off on Green. Then the Texans staff had to woodshed him. And then he came back and apologized.
What did TJ say in the locker room? I only heard bits and pieces tonight by Oberman, I would like to hear it in context.
Old 10-07-2007   #220
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 267781 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I've seen players in the NFL intentionally try to injure one another on more than one occasion. I don't see how Travis Johnson could possible qualify as "Worst Person in the NFL" while those people are still playing the game.

He did something wrong because he thought someone tried to hurt him. I've got less of a problem with him jumping up mad and jawing at Green (until he realized that Green was badly hurt) than I do with him trying to spin it in the locker room later. That was when he should have said "I thought somebody was trying to hurt me and I reacted badly. I'm sorry and I hope he recovers fully". Instead he tried to "stay mad" and spin it.

I think he was scared and embarrassed.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read