Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-07-2007   #1
Nighthawk
All Pro

Default Could I get a running back, please?

Any running back. How hard is it to understand that we might actually need two capable RBs? One to be hurt and the other to work?

Jeez.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007   #2
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Could I get a running back, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
Any running back. How hard is it to understand that we might actually need two capable RBs? One to be hurt and the other to work?

Jeez.
if only we had drafted reggie bush gun:
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007   #3
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Jonathan Wells could do better than this. Wali Lundy could do better than this.

I wonder if Darius Walker could do better than this?

I'm almost starting to wonder if Tony Hollings could have done better.

I know Green coming back will make a big difference but I also can't ignore the fact that one bad play can put us right back here again. We need another effective running back.
Old 10-07-2007   #4
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Jonathan Wells could do better than this. Wali Lundy could do better than this.

I wonder if Darius Walker could do better than this?

I'm almost starting to wonder if Tony Hollings could have done better.
Don't forget Morency.
Old 10-07-2007   #5
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Don't forget Morency.
Dude, you beat me to it. I was watching Green Bay and Chicago and Morency is playing a lot.

He's showing some serious wheels and just playing a good game. Even saw him have a nice blitz pickup a series ago. And I'm thinking to myself "I don't care about the system argument. I don't care if they thought he danced to much. Morency isn't a world-beater, but the kid has wheels and we got screwed on that trade."
Old 10-07-2007   #6
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Does the offensive line get a pass in all this?

Don't hit me now. I'm just askin.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007   #7
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104108 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

We won't know until a capable RB is back there. Be it a healthy Green or a new #2 guy. All I know is that has passed the ridiculous stage. I seriously doubt that if we cut Dayne tonight that there would be a single suitor out there ready to sign him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-07-2007   #8
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Nah. I don't think they get a pass at all and it's a very fair point. But its like the old David Carr v. O-line argument.... which is it? The RBs or the O-line? I do think that losing McKinney hurt us pretty badly.

But Dayne and Gado have looked really, really bad. I swear, I think Dayne has an inner ear infection that is killing his equilibrium. That's the only way I can figure a running back that big can fall over that easy.
Old 10-07-2007   #9
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not from me. Schaub looks like a superior quarterback and covers a lot of their mistakes, but he can't cover them all. Mistakes are still mistakes, covered or not, and they make more than an average line (IMO). They have 2-3 strong positions, but they aren't a strong unit, and I for one never expected them to be this year.

The Texans "he used to play for Kubiak" left tackle and "he used to play for Sherman" center have a marked resemblance to their "he used to play for Kubiak" running back and "he used to play for Sherman" back-up running back.

Next to the injuries to Green and Dre Johnson, those personnel decisions are hurting the offense as much as anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
I don't think they get a pass at all and it's a very fair point. But its like the old David Carr v. O-line argument.... which is it? The RBs or the O-line?
Both.
Old 10-07-2007   #10
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post

Jeez.

count them:

1. Ahman Green
2. Chris Taylor

see, the problem is they are both hurt.

give me a break with the morency thing, too... he's been out injured all season and I just saw him run off the field hurt again. that's why they got rid of him.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007   #11
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Not from me. Schaub looks like a superior qursterback and covers a lot of their mistakes, but he can't cover them all. Mistakes are still mistakes, covered or not, and they make more than an average line (IMO). They have 2-3 strong positions, but they aren't a strong unit, and I for one never expected them to be this year.

Our "he used to play for Kubiak" left tackle and "he used to play for Sherman" center have a marked resemblance to our "he used to play for Kubiak" running back and "he used to play for Sherman" back-up running back.

Next to the injuries to Green and Dre Johnson, those personnel decisions are hurting the offense as much as anything else.
You and I have had our sparring sessions, runner.

But your post on this issue is perhaps the best post I have read from anybody on either board, in perhaps the past month.

Kubiak is a GREAT QB COACH, but he needs to take a seat when it comes to evaluating running back talent. He's 0-and-Forever thus far, IMO. Dayne is a crutch he's been using for too long, trying to grind out 3 yards in the run game to survive juuuuuust enough to get his QB a chance to run play-action.

And swapping Morency for Gado was 100% the wrong thing to do. I was opposed to it then, and I'm opposed to it now. The two backs are night-and-day..it's almost as if Kubiak thinks Gado is a speedier, smaller version of Dayne. Yeah, now THAT'S how you trip up a run defense, Kubiak: Put a shiftier Ron Dayne out there. I would use a smiley that shows me throwing up in my mouth a little bit, but I can't find one.

So, "Thank You" Kubiak for getting us to 3-2...but we'd probably be 4-1 and possibly 5-0 if we had a run game. AND...perhaps Schaub is even more valuable than we know--I think he's single-handedly saving Kubiak's bacon right now. The way Schaub is pulling rabbits out of his helmet on clutch pass conversions, when the D is down his throat because there's no run game to keep blitzers honest, is amazing to say the least.

I'll say it again, like I said in my "Jonathan Wells?" thread: Sign running backs to 3-game contracts and turn them over like McDonald's employees until you find one that sticks.

But "sticking" with medicore guys that bailed you out this time last year is not a good long-term plan. At some point, it's going to catch up with Kubiak.
Old 10-07-2007   #12
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
give me a break with the morency thing, too... he's been out injured all season and I just saw him run off the field hurt again. that's why they got rid of him.
I don't think they got rid of him because they knew he would be hurt in the future.

At least he can gain yards when he's healthy. When Gado is healthy, Kubiak is likely to play fullback Cook at running back ahead of him.
Old 10-07-2007   #13
Hook'er
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Hook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden cover

Too bad we were not able to get Bennet, last offseason!
Old 10-07-2007   #14
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected

Dayne got the touchdown when we needed it and kept the defense honest. What we need is Dre back to stretch the defense.
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #15
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spled View Post
Dayne got the touchdown when we needed it and kept the defense honest. What we need is Dre back to stretch the defense.
Davis caught the deep ball to set up the first down and goal on the two yard line. It took Dayne 4 tries to get 2 yards. 0.5 yards a carry when we "needed it" isn't exactly keeping the defense honest. But I totally agree that we need Dre back.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #16
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected

That's has to do with our offensive line as well. When you score only 1 touchdown you have to respect the guy who got it in there.
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #17
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 49705 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Paper or plastic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Morency has the ability to make people miss...he has some wiggle. Let's just face it...it was a miserable trade. The good news is that we'll live.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #19
SF49erFaithful
Crabtree FTW

Rep Power: 41 SF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Morency has the ability to make people miss...he has some wiggle. Let's just face it...it was a miserable trade. The good news is that we'll live.
Maybe you got the short end of the stick, but it wasn't miserable. Miserable is like Washington throwing away a 3rd at TJ Duckett last season....
SF49erFaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #20
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I also can't ignore the fact that one bad play can put us right back here again. We need another effective running back.
This is EXACTLY the point.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read