Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-07-2007   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 97370 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default what do you think of our Defensive Playcalling?

I have mixed feelings so far, I know we still need upgrades in the secondary but I kinda feel we are too predictable on our blitzes and not disguising it well. Maybe I am a little down on the last 2 weeks and it seemed like we have a hard time stopping people consistantly. (even with a good win today, it was tough and I do understand when we are missing offensive weapons it hurts as in time of possession and converting TD's instead of field goals)
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007   #2
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89551 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: what do you think of our Defensive Playcalling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I have mixed feelings so far, I know we still need upgrades in the secondary but I kinda feel we are too predictable on our blitzes and not disguising it well. Maybe I am a little down on the last 2 weeks and it seemed like we have a hard time stopping people consistantly. (even with a good win today, it was tough and I do understand when we are missing offensive weapons it hurts as in time of possession and converting TD's instead of field goals)
i completely agree and we went through this exact same thing through the first few games last year also (though i cant seem to find the threads). we blitzed a little more often today, but we were not nearly committed enough to attacking a young and inexperienced quarterback. against manning yes, you have to pray for pressure from your front 4, but against harrington and lemon your duty as a defensive coordinator is to assault them on every chance possible.

what i didnt like today is that our blitzes were too complex and time comsuming to be effective ... too many stunts and running laterally instead of overload and hit the quarterback. i want to see more denver-like blitzes like we saw on 3rd down towards the end of the game ... 3-man coverage and a defense that looks more like a punt block unit. also bring in ryans and orr to overload one side more often.
Old 10-07-2007   #3
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

The only thing I'm thinking of right now where our defense is concerned is that the fins ran Brown over Mario all day long. They literally rolled over him every single time they went that way. Vinny and I sat there watching them do this and couldn't help but laugh about it. It was bad comedy watching them nail that side of the line over and over again for 5-8 yards.

Next week Jacksonville is going to do the exact same thing and two weeks from now Tennessee is going to open a freeway over Mario's spot. There's going to be so much traffic over and around Mario that the Harris County Toll Road Authority is going to want to erect a toll booth there to scoop up some of that potential revenue.

The Texans must put a stop to that somehow.
Old 10-08-2007   #4
real

I think our defensive play-calling was terrible.

It's like our defensive coordinator has no anticipation or feel for the game...
Old 10-08-2007   #5
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Our first 2 games we played excellent on defense and the 3rd game was not too shabby, considering we played the Colts. The last 2 weeks we have been coming out flat and not really stepping up until after half time. They have got to learn to play from the 1st snap until the last. My real concern is why? We aren't plagued with injuries on the defensive side of the ball, so what has changed during that time frame? Are the other teams making adjustments? Are we playing tougher offenses? I don't think it's the later, I think our scheme isn't where it should be and I think it's all about being aggressive. I would rather see the defensive unit take more chances and get burned a couple times than play conservative. Having said that, I'm happy we got the win this week. I'm just a little concerned looking at the upcoming schedule. It's going to take all we have got to win the next 3.
Old 10-08-2007   #6
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
Our first 2 games we played excellent on defense and the 3rd game was not too shabby, considering we played the Colts. The last 2 weeks we have been coming out flat and not really stepping up until after half time.

The players played better in those first two games...

The actual play-calling was the same...Dull, bland and uninspiring...
Old 10-08-2007   #7
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Smith is relying on the front 4 pass rush too much, & he's becoming predictable. 1st & 2nd, hang back & then if we blitz, it's almost always on 3rd down.

Everyone wonders why Atlanta & now Miami seemed to always be 1 step ahead of us when they were on offense, this is why. It's having a bad effect on our already bad secondary. It also wouldn't hurt to see more stunting & blitzing @ the same time Mr. Smith.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-08-2007   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 296584 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
The only thing I'm thinking of right now where our defense is concerned is that the fins ran Brown over Mario all day long. They literally rolled over him every single time they went that way. Vinny and I sat there watching them do this and couldn't help but laugh about it. It was bad comedy watching them nail that side of the line over and over again for 5-8 yards.

Next week Jacksonville is going to do the exact same thing and two weeks from now Tennessee is going to open a freeway over Mario's spot. There's going to be so much traffic over and around Mario that the Harris County Toll Road Authority is going to want to erect a toll booth there to scoop up some of that potential revenue.

The Texans must put a stop to that somehow.
We noticed that, as well. If they ran outside, they'd push Mario inside. If they ran inside, they'd push him out. He's so good at dancing with o-linemen that I think he might be a great candidate for that celebrity dancing show!

This isn't a Mario bash, but just an observation. I don't know what the problem is, but he definitely lacks the ability to dictate his will on an opponent. Maybe it will develop over time.
Old 10-08-2007   #9
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Two weeks in a row two winnless teams went up and down the field on us. We hardly get any sacks considering the talent we have on the D line, and a lot of passes are completed against us. Sometimes you have to wonder how we made it to 3-2 at this point.

The defense is not dominating anyone. Because of a lack of quality safties and corners, maybe we can't at this point. What's strange to me is that the Texan defense (statistically, anyways) continues to be rated in the middle of the pack in the NFL, yet they don't look that good watching them.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #10
real

Mario's sack was nice...

When the TE motioned away from him I had a feeling he was going to get there...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read