Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Is a Win a Win?
Yes; a win is a win no matter what. 105 89.74%
No; an ugly win like this means problems for next week. 12 10.26%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-2007   #1
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Is a Win a Win?

I just want to gauge everyone's position on here after this game. It was obviously an ugly win, but we pulled through anyways. So here's my question:

Not taking into account everyone that's injured...To you, is a win a win, or is an ugly win like this indicative of problems that can come up next week? In otherwords, are you happy we got the win, or are you worried that we barely won?
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007   #2
jaybird
Veteran

Default Re: Is a Win a Win?

Hell yes!

We didn't have hardly any offensive weapons... NO running game... and going against one of the best RBs in the league... I don't care how you win... it's a "W"

Very happy... but know there is a lot to work on before going to Jax
Old 10-07-2007   #3
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

I don't care if we win a game by a safety and turn over the ball 8 times against the Raiders this year(of course frustration will be present during the game)...a win is always a win no matter how you win it.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007   #4
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142254 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

A win IS a win.

Here's what I'm worried about:

1. Our utter lack of a run game. We SUCKED against the worst run DEF in the league. This must be addressed in the next draft, because depending on injury-prone Ahman Green is not going to get it done.
2. Our utter lack of a pass rush. I don't know if our defense is playing really vanilla right now, but I'm not seeing the same DEF from the beginning of the season.

What I'm not worried about:

1. Matt Schaub. Again, the national press, radio bobbleheads and sports pundits everywhere owe the Texans a huge apology. It WAS David Carr, not our offensive line.
2. Our WRs. Once healthy, I think we're scary talent-wise.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the win. We need to mix it up in the running game and get Green healthy...I fear we're a little too predictable right now, and I know that may be due to our lack of talent. We also need to be more aggressive on the DEF line and blitz more often.

Schaub got us in a position to win. Period. And Kris Brown kicked his heart out today. He was money.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007   #5
grinch1134
Veteran

Rep Power: 1113 grinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respected

A win will always be a win as long as your season is defined by your win-loss ratio
grinch1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007   #6
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
1. Our utter lack of a run game. We SUCKED against the worst run DEF in the league. This must be addressed in the next draft, because depending on injury-prone Ahman Green is not going to get it done.

Would you be up for Turner in FA? I was initially against it, but after games like today, I keep getting more and more interested. The only problem is he would want to be the feature back, and I don't know if Green is willing to take a backseat.
Old 10-07-2007   #7
jaybird
Veteran

Quote:
\ Again, the national press, radio bobbleheads and sports pundits everywhere owe the Texans a huge apology. It WAS David Carr, not our offensive line.
I agree and disagree on this one... Matt has been playing really well... but the Texans OL is subpar... they have average pass blocking and below average run blocking.

Next year the Texans need to invest in OL and a young RB whether it be in FA or the Draft. Of course a few new DBs wouldn't hurt either
Old 10-07-2007   #8
jaybird
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCD View Post
Would you be up for Turner in FA? I was initially against it, but after games like today, I keep getting more and more interested. The only problem is he would want to be the feature back, and I don't know if Green is willing to take a backseat.
As old as green is he has to understand that whoever the Texans bring in (whether Turner or a guy in the draft) he will probably quickly be on the back burner.
Old 10-07-2007   #9
kcdoubleeagle
Veteran

Rep Power: 474 kcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinch1134 View Post
A win will always be a win as long as your season is defined by your win-loss ratio
You are your record.....so yes a win is a win. Remember, this is the NFL and the Dolphins have some amazing talent. Also, our top playmakers are out and we still pulled it off.
kcdoubleeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007   #10
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142254 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would go RBBC in a heartbeat if it meant having a real running game. Green would have to be realistic about his age and his injuries and play a Julius Jones-like role.

I would be more interested in seeing who is available in the draft, which I'm told will be deep at RB this year. I'm looking for a franchise RB, not just a bandaid.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
Old 10-07-2007   #11
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
I agree and disagree on this one... Matt has been playing really well... but the Texans OL is subpar... they have average pass blocking and below average run blocking.

Next year the Texans need to invest in OL and a young RB whether it be in FA or the Draft. Of course a few new DBs wouldn't hurt either
I should have been more precise. David Carr, under pressure, is an absolute mess. He also would feel pressure that wasn't there. I don't think I ever once saw him step up in the pocket when feeling heat from the side...he would always flush out and many times cause his own sacks.

Many folks outside of Houston put all the fault at the feet of the O-line and those of us who have been around since year one know the true story.

Old 10-07-2007   #12
jaybird
Veteran

Quote:
I would be more interested in seeing who is available in the draft, which I'm told will be deep at RB this year. I'm looking for a franchise RB, not just a bandaid.
Should be very deep!
Old 10-07-2007   #13
jaybird
Veteran

Quote:
I should have been more precise. David Carr, under pressure, is an absolute mess. He also would feel pressure that wasn't there. I don't think I ever once saw him step up in the pocket when feeling heat from the side...he would always flush out and many times cause his own sacks.

Many folks outside of Houston put all the fault at the feet of the O-line and those of us who have been around since year one know the true story.
yeah - I agree with you there... just wanted to make sure you didn't think that this OL was great They are servicable for the year... but will need an upgrade next year. I was actually really surprised we didn't go OL early in this year's draft.
Old 10-07-2007   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

A win is a win. I'm happy to get it no matter how ugly it is.

Pretty much every team is going to have bad days. Getting an ugly win means that your team is fighting and isn't giving up even though things aren't working the way they'd like. It's really easy to cave in and give up and lose games when things aren't clicking. So... I'm happy with this.

BUT.

That doesn't mean that we shouldn't be concerned about our problems and we do have problems. Schaub and the passing game have been great but we need a running game.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007   #15
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Huh?

If you thought it was an ugly win, which of course it was, then "NO" would be the selection, right?

Weird.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007   #16
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

There needs to be an Option C - Yes, a win is a win, and it presents problems for next week.
Old 10-07-2007   #17
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Would you be up for Turner in FA?
Short answer...Heck Yes! However, after todays game (something like 9 carries and 143 yards) he is going to be expensive. His agent is going to push him big time for a huge payday.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007   #18
TheCD
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
There needs to be an Option C - Yes, a win is a win, and it presents problems for next week.
Doesn't that fall into category A? I meant more or less that A is that you can be happy looking forward to next week...or B, you are seriously worried about next week because of the ugly win.
Old 10-08-2007   #19
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Doesn't that fall into category A? I meant more or less that A is that you can be happy looking forward to next week...or B, you are seriously worried about next week because of the ugly win.
Well, if that's what you meant, then I'll bet anyone who voted A, will want to switch. How could you NOT be worried about next week? If it hadn't been for Chris Brown's heroics, we would have lost to an 0-4 team.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

the only thing better than a win is not losing.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read