Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk" Rival fans & lighthearted smack talk. Keep it light and leave the mean spirited stuff at home please.

Old 01-07-2008   #481
ATRAIN
ATX TEXANS FAN

Rep Power: 936 ATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Vince Young is the best QB in the NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
5. Got too much of the credit at TU, when there was SOOOO much other talent around him.

It was the Ohio State game and the 2 Rose bowls. Ohio state pass to win the game was horrible, but Limas made a unbelievable catch. The Rose bowl victory wouldn't have happend without the Texas defense. That run VY made was the fault of USC. They were in a LB zone package not expecting a run but a pass. When they caught onto it, VY was already almost in the endzone.
ATRAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #482
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 112599 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATRAIN View Post
It was the Ohio State game and the 2 Rose bowls. Ohio state pass to win the game was horrible, but Limas made a unbelievable catch. The Rose bowl victory wouldn't have happend without the Texas defense. That run VY made was the fault of USC. They were in a LB zone package not expecting a run but a pass. When they caught onto it, VY was already almost in the endzone.
There's that name that I associate so much of Texas' success: Limas Sweed. Very often VY threw jump balls that Sweed out jumped or out worked the defender.

VY also had the benefit of TE David Thomas:
Quote:
Finished his college career as the most prolific receiving tight end in University of Texas history and led the nation's tight ends in blocking consistency as a senior ... Set the school's all-time career records for receptions by a tight end (98), receiving yards by a tight end (1,367) and touchdown receptions by a tight end (15) ... Owns the Longhorns' single-season record for receptions by a tight end (50, 2005) ... Set the Texas single-game record for receptions by a tight end with 10 grabs in the 2006 Rose Bowl, helping the Longhorns claim the BCS championship ... Did not miss a game in his collegiate career, starting 38 of 51 games for the Longhorns ... Of his 98 career catches, 70 were good for first downs (71.4 percent) and 34 came on third-down plays (34.7 percent) .. Averaged 13.9 yards per catch during his career and averaged 21.6 yards on his 15 touchdown receptions ... Earned first-team Academic All-Big 12 honors in 2004 and 2005.
From the Patriots website: David Thomas
Old 01-07-2008   #483
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I wish there was a way for Bud to draft Sweed and Charles. I think that would send Middle TN folks off a cliff.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #484
ATRAIN
ATX TEXANS FAN

Rep Power: 936 ATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There's that name that I associate so much of Texas' success: Limas Sweed. Very often VY threw jump balls that Sweed out jumped or out worked the defender.

VY also had the benefit of TE David Thomas:

From the Patriots website: David Thomas
You know that was it right there. VY threw to the TE most of the time when he wasn't running, why because its kind of hard not to complete a little 5 yard dump off to your TE. Limas had to jump up to get the ball because VY has horrible accuracy and the VY homers say this every year...........his accuracy is getting better hahaha. I still haven't seen it.
Old 01-07-2008   #485
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

rose bowl game was a classic whether you were for UT or for USC, was a shame there had to be a loser in that game
but Young was
20 or 30 for 267 yards
19 rushes for 200 yards. 3 tds and long of 67

you got to give Vince credit for that

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls05/bowls?game=rose

Young played a whale of a game for UT ..and I loved it after ESPiN proclaimed USC the greatest team in college football history, I was glad they got beat and being born and raised in Texas, I am was proud a Texas team won

I am far from a VY fan and like to think I am fairly level headed about him (don't hate and don't love) but sometimes I think the hatred clouds judgement on him and his college days

If VY had a knack it was to converting on 3rd down, he was very dangerous on 3rd down plays esp in college. now in the pros? well last season he did it a few times, but like some on this board have said, once his legs go, it is going to be tough for him unless he learns how to pocket pass
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #486
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah I agree for the most part. Yes UT is my college team and yes I wanted them to win the title. Did I want the Texans to draft VY.....no, did I want them to draft Reggie.....no. Did I know who Mario was.....no hahaha. My roomate to this day (HUGE VY HOMER) claims that I said I wanted VY.....come on I know what I said. I didn't hate him until recently. Yes im sure the whole Keye issue in Austin didn't help. To me completely honest I am just sick of him and this city being all over his jock. As far as the hometown hero, hahah I dont think he was a hero at all.
I feel very similiar to this.

I love UT, they are my favorite college team by far. But, I support the Big 12 as much as I can especially kids from Texas. These guys are students and amateur atheletes and are very exciting to watch, I like getting behind my fellow Texans! In other words, I enjoy smack talk with people I know who are Aggies, Red Raiders, etc. but it's in good fun, these folks are my neighbors.

I loved VY in college, the National Championship was a thing a beauty. Knocking off the almight USC, "the best team ever" . Come on, some of you Aggies can admit it.

I always thought VY was a great college QB but I never wanted the Texans to draft him.....and I am so glad they didn't. I really felt like he would get exposed at the next level. And now that he is a pro there is a lot more critiquing to be done. And just like ATRAIN said, you can't make an honest assesment about him in these parts. The blind man love has go to go....Wake up People! Anyway, some of this coupled with how he acts now, the way he acted after the OT win in Houston last year (Texan Bill nailed this perfectly), and the way he came off on the 60 minutes interview like he is so much better than everyone else and above the system, he just down right gets on my nerves these days, and I pretty much can't stand him. He could use a big dose of humility.

After yesterday's performance he might have gotten it, he did not look good at all and IMO cost the tits the game.

Last edited by Hardcore Texan; 01-07-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Hardcore Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #487
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

"Vince Young is the best QB in the NFL"

Right now, at this moment in time Vince Young isn't even the best QB on the Titans roster. Vince has some problems he needs to overcome before he can even make that claim.

He's got what it takes to make a team in the NFL but that's not saying all that much. Look at some of the stiffs that can make a roster in the NFL.

I look at Young and think the following....

Physical Tools: Check
"Heart" and determination: Check
Leadership Ability: Check
Intelligence: Remains to be seen
Maturity: Remains to be seen

In almost any college game between just about any two schools you can name the majority of the players on both teams will not make it to the NFL and if 51% of them somehow do then most of them will be out of it in short order. In College you can win on a team with less talent and use only your innate playmaking ability and leadership. In the NFL you have to fire on all cylinders to be the kind of player the hype said Vince Young would be.

Sure somebody can spoon feed him an offense. That's nothing out of the ordinary. There are 32 starting QB's in the NFL, does anybody think they're all brain surgeons or rocket scientists? Of course they aren't. Time and coaching should help build the maturity that he appears to lack at the moment. Plenty of guys get picked in the first round and lack maturity. Hell, Jeff George never aquired it and he played in the league for many years. He was just never terribly successful (or at least never close to being as successful as he might have been if he'd been a little less selfish and a little more mature).

To perform at a high level consistently Vince Young is going to have to learn a playbook and he's going to have to grow up. He's going to have to make himself be coachable otherwise he's just going to be another guy who doesn't live up to his draft status regardless of what an incredible game he played against USC. Look at David Carr and consider that he had pretty much all the physical gifts you could ask for in an NFL QB. He was purportedly a reasonably intelligent guy who was married with a couple of kids. He was clearly very mature. He wasn't complete though. He lacked discipline and focus and was not dedicated to his craft. He didn't appear to be very "coachable". He's on his way out of the league I think. Vince could follow him if he doesn't do what he has to. He needs to put that pride down for a while and dedicate himself to learning his craft. His "skillz" aren't going to get it done here. Nobody comes to the NFL and dominates with just skill and will these days. It's been thirty years since anybody could be successful with just that.

Edit: Having said all that he's a Tennessee Titan and so I can't bring myself to want him to succeed. I want to beat the Titans every time we play them (and that ain't happened much in 6 years) and I believe now that clearly the Texans didn't blow that draft pick. I don't wish we had Vince Young. I wish we hadn't paid David Carr a bonus to suck for two more years but I don't wish we had gone with Young. I don't think much about Vince Young at all unless the Titans are on our plate that week or some Vince Young nut hugger (or hater) brings him up.
Old 01-07-2008   #488
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
rose bowl game was a classic whether you were for UT or for USC, was a shame there had to be a loser in that game
but Young was
20 or 30 for 267 yards

Young played a whale of a game for UT ..and I loved it after ESPiN proclaimed USC the greatest team in college football history, I was glad they got beat and being born and raised in Texas, I am was proud a Texas team won

I am far from a VY fan and like to think I am fairly level headed about him (don't hate and don't love) but sometimes I think the hatred clouds judgement on him and his college days

If VY had a knack it was to converting on 3rd down, he was very dangerous on 3rd down plays esp in college. now in the pros? well last season he did it a few times, but like some on this board have said, once his legs go, it is going to be tough for him unless he learns how to pocket pass
Well said, and I especially love the part in bold.....good times.
Old 01-07-2008   #489
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 112599 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
but Young was
20 or 30 for 267 yards

I never said he hasn't had some good games. In fact, earlier this year I admitted when he had one. But my judgement of his college playing days are not clouded. If I were a Texas alum, I would be sick and tired of VY getting all of the credit for that very, very talented offense. They were then and still are today my perceptions based on observations.

Running QB's in the NFL don't do well or they don't last long. Steve McNair and Donavan McNabb figured out how to become pocket passers first, running threats second. Mike Vick did not. Until Young can figure that out (if possible), he will never succeed. Therein lies the problem. I don't think he is accurate enough to gain respect from defenses in the NFL. Therefore, defenses will continue to a) cram the box, b) spy him and c) use various rush blitz packages against him.

Those are not clouded judgements.
Old 01-07-2008   #490
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

my reply was because the thread at the time seemed to be turning toward his college career

yes TB I agree exactly about what you said about his NFL game.

I am like DB.. I don't hate VY personally, he is a titan, I don't like the Titans and bud and with the way the media bashed the Texans with not taking him or bush, has made me want to get into the "I told you so" mode when those player fail.

I still am in the "I hope the players do well except when they play the Texans" mode
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #491
austintexanite
All Pro

Quote:
Just curious, not trying to troll or anything but who here is a VY fan and who here is sick of him? Also if you are sick of him do you live in Houston, Austin, or somewhere else?

[quote=GlassHalfFull;818140]And most of the "hate" I feels for him is a backlash against the fans who think he can do no wrong and have trashed Mario since the draft. It is interesting how the fans can end up "hating" a player for situations out of their control.

As a Longhorn fan, I will always be grateful that he helped in bringing back a championship. But, I have always been a bigger fan of NFL than college. I am sick of people treating him like a God, and after all the flak that we got last year for Mario, I'm happy he's struggling so that he realizes that he has to work hard to be good in this league. I saw him take some shots this year and that could be a reason why he does not want to run anymore. I don't remember him being hit that much as a Horn, and I feel that he is slowly realizing that he can't get away with that stuff in the NFL as much as he used to. More importantly, he plays for Tennessee which I despise and once he started running his mouth I was glad he got smacked in the mouth to keep him quite. I know a lot of people who never liked Vince because he was always cocky on the practice field and after team meetings. There was some resentment from his fellow Horns and it seems to be following him in Tennessee.
Old 01-07-2008   #492
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by austintexanite View Post
I know a lot of people who never liked Vince because he was always cocky on the practice field and after team meetings. There was some resentment from his fellow Horns and it seems to be following him in Tennessee.
WOW!! Seriously, I hadn't heard that before.....
Old 01-07-2008   #493
austintexanite
All Pro

Quote:
WOW!! Seriously, I hadn't heard that before.....
Sarcasm or real? Either way, just stating what I know.
Old 01-07-2008   #494
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
I was hoping the 'seriously' implied that I really was being serious. Sorry, but I really hadn't heard that before. In other words, I thought the one thing he had a Texas was this squeeky clean image and ALL his teammates and coaches thought he was the greatest thing next to cold beer.

Who knew??
Old 01-07-2008   #495
ATRAIN
ATX TEXANS FAN

Quote:

I never heard that either but I LOVE IT!!
Old 01-07-2008   #496
austintexanite
All Pro

Quote:
I was hoping the 'seriously' implied that I really was being serious. Sorry, but I really hadn't heard that before. In other words, I thought the one thing he had a Texas was this squeeky clean image and ALL his teammates and coaches thought he was the greatest thing next to cold beer.

Who knew??
My fault, I'm too sarcastic myself so I often misinterpret things. One of my best friends had close connections to the football team and I found out that some offensive and defensive players didn't like his attitude. During the games they didn't doubt his leadership, or abilities, but it was the other stuff that they couldn't stand.
Old 01-07-2008   #497
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
My fault, I'm too sarcastic myself so I often misinterpret things. One of my best friends had close connections to the football team and I found out that some offensive and defensive players didn't like his attitude. During the games they didn't doubt his leadership, or abilities, but it was the other stuff that they couldn't stand.
Thanks!! Very interesting! Funny how some players are able to create this great public image, but when you find out some of the 'behind the scenes' stuff, it makes you go:
Old 01-07-2008   #498
ATRAIN
ATX TEXANS FAN

Quote:

Very interesting, I wonder if Griffin tells people on the Titans that VY is a cocky baby!! I love seeing VY pout on the sidelines!!!
Old 01-07-2008   #499
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

ok, i like vince, played against him in highschool, i want him to be a great QB, but he keeps proving me wrong..... the titans would be playing the pats next week if he had lined up at wide out and KC got the snaps, im almost certain....... sorry vince, i hope you prove me wrong....

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #500
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
My dislike of the dude has nothing to do with the '06 draft.

My dislike stems from two things:

1. He ran around our stadium yelling "this is my house!" after an OT win. I see this as classless and a 'me first' attitude, and I wish for Mario to squash him like a bug every chance he gets because of this little show-off display.

2. He's a Tennessee Titan.

The Madden curse has been fulfilled.
Yep ... after the game that he ran around the stadium ... I thought Vince has bought a little to much into Vince .

He's a stinking Titan ... hated them .

To the Titan fans ... in two years if he's still just OK ... it's not the weapons around him , it's him . We know this first hand .

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read