Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-06-2007   #1
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1185 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default ESPiN writer: Bush not a #1 back? Wow!

So I'm sitting here trolling the net after watching Tebow singlehandedly dismantle my beloved Tigers in the first half of football. I'm shocked by how UF is handling our defense. But I was doubly shocked to find an ESPiN writer (Jeff Chadiha) doubt the "second coming of Gayle Sayers."

"The Saints still have one interesting story line despite their 0-3 start: Whether Reggie Bush can prove he's a legitimate feature back in this league. I've doubted that since he was drafted and we'll discover the truth now that Deuce McAllister is out for the season with a knee injury. It's not that I don't love Bush's electric talent. It's just that there's a reason he has split carries with a bigger back since his college days at USC."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...fri&id=3048668

I'm pretty sure Jeff will be flogged in the morning.

I'll admit, I bought into some of the RB hype machine. After watching him with the Taints last year and this year, I'm relieved that we didn't draft him.
Old 10-07-2007   #2
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: ESPiN writer: Bush not a #1 back? Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
So I'm sitting here trolling the net after watching Tebow singlehandedly dismantle my beloved Tigers in the first half of football. I'm shocked by how UF is handling our defense. But I was doubly shocked to find an ESPiN writer (Jeff Chadiha) doubt the "second coming of Gayle Sayers."

"The Saints still have one interesting story line despite their 0-3 start: Whether Reggie Bush can prove he's a legitimate feature back in this league. I've doubted that since he was drafted and we'll discover the truth now that Deuce McAllister is out for the season with a knee injury. It's not that I don't love Bush's electric talent. It's just that there's a reason he has split carries with a bigger back since his college days at USC."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...fri&id=3048668

I'm pretty sure Jeff will be flogged in the morning.

I'll admit, I bought into some of the RB hype machine. After watching him with the Taints last year and this year, I'm relieved that we didn't draft him.
He will be exiled to wherever they stuck Michael Smith. Smith was one of the few "talking-heads" that actually said - out loud - that Mario was a better fit for the Texans than either Vince or Reggie.

And during training camp, Michael Smith continued to say that Schaub would be a good fit here and there was no need to draft Brady Quinn. More blasphemy.

Smith hasn't been seen since training camp. I heard he was taken off his NFL assignment by ESPN and is now in Canada or Wisconsin covering curling or in North Dakota covering the buffalo round-up.
...well, that's the word on the street.

ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007   #3
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 4615 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Barring any injury, I could see Reggie add about 10 pounds of muscle and become a very good threat between the tackles as he increases his football IQ between the ears. I am not sure he will ever be an everydown back. For now, he is a very good addition to an offense....not a number one pick....but a great compliment player.
Old 10-07-2007   #4
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedc View Post
Barring any injury, I could see Reggie add about 10 pounds of muscle and become a very good threat between the tackles as he increases his football IQ between the ears. I am not sure he will ever be an everydown back. For now, he is a very good addition to an offense....not a number one pick....but a great compliment player.
He's indeed a great compliment player............As seen by all the hype and his commercials, he requires mounds of compliments to "function" at any level.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007   #5
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Reggie will prove his doubters wrong today.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007   #6
RazorOye
Ayo

Rep Power: 43676 RazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respected

10 carries, 54 yards for a 5.4 average with many of his runs between the tackles

Not bad so far...

We'll see how the second half goes
RazorOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007   #7
real

Reggie Bush is a good football player.

He will be fine running the ball.
Sponsored links
Old 10-07-2007   #8
RazorOye
Ayo

Rep Power: 43676 RazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respected

What amuses me is that there are so many people on this board who talk about what a bust Bush is and he's a glorified 3rd down back who is soft.

That's just as extreme as the lavish praise the media heaps on him.

People complain about the latter but don't see the hypocrisy of the former.

The truth is somewhere in the middle. I've watched a lot of Bush and I've watched him run up the middle and seen him take on a hit. And I've seen him scoot out of bounds to avoid one. Just like I've seen every other running back do.

As a Saints fan, I wish Bush was the player the media has made him out to be - but he's not. Maybe he will never be.

I think he's better than a lot of fans on this board believe him to be. And I don't believe he's as good as the media makes him out to be.

But he is a Saint and I will continue to root for him because he is a Saint.

Just like with the Texans - after living in Houston for five years, I root for them - easy to do since they are an AFC team.

They might not be Super Bowl favorites, but they aren't as bad as they played last week either.

I just don't understand how it always has to come down to extremes. Bush is a demigod or he's the second coming of Tony Mandarich.

I wish you guys and Mario the best. Until we play, of course.

Last edited by RazorOye; 10-07-2007 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-07-2007   #9
Immobilarity
Made You Look

Rep Power: 16 Immobilarity could be on the next Madden coverImmobilarity could be on the next Madden coverImmobilarity could be on the next Madden coverImmobilarity could be on the next Madden coverImmobilarity could be on the next Madden coverImmobilarity could be on the next Madden coverImmobilarity could be on the next Madden cover

What you don't understand is that it's easier to like someone when they're not forced down your throat.
Old 10-07-2007   #10
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1185 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorOye View Post
The truth is somewhere in the middle. I've watched a lot of Bush and I've watched him run up the middle and seen him take on a hit. And I've seen him scoot out of bounds to avoid one. Just like I've seen every other running back do.

As a Saints fan, I wish Bush was the player the media has made him out to be - but he's not. Maybe he will never be.

I think he's better than a lot of fans on this board believe him to be. And I don't believe he's as good as the media makes him out to be.
Truncated your quote to the points that I agree with. My original post was less an indictment of Bush's abilities and more about my shock that someone at ESPN (outside of Michael Smith) was finally saying that RB might not be all that and a bag of chips. ESPiN appeared to be one of the biggest cogs in the hype machine.

So said, I'm not that surprised that he's having success running between the tackles today. I will be very surprised if he can sustain it over the long haul, though.

I'm still glad that we didn't draft him (I can say that even as I watch the big ball of ineptitude that is Ron Dayne.) I think RB is the kind of player you pick up when you are trying to complete an existing offense and not the "bell cow" kind of back that you build an offense around. That's what I want to see the Texans get their hands on. In short, I want our Deuce McAllister - not a Reggie Bush.
Old 10-07-2007   #11
RazorOye
Ayo

Quote:
In short, I want our Deuce McAllister.
so do I

edit: I really like Michael Smith, too... Always have.
Old 10-07-2007   #12
RazorOye
Ayo

well, the game's over - Reggie's first without Deuce. And I was both impressed and surprised.

The New Orleans offense is laughable right now. Reggie was the *only* thing we had going for us today. He touched the ball 30 times and showed a great deal of heart - the only offensive player who showed such heart aside from Karney who always plays hard.

His average yards per carry really dropped in the second half and that was discouraging, but the run blocking was spotty. Still, he did just about everything we asked and I'll take 120 yards of rushing + receiving from him every week.

It was a gutsy performance and he fought all game.

It was a tough game to swallow with stupid penalties, dropped passes, exceptionally poor field goal attempts, unwise coaching moves, bad cases of the drops.

The defense looked good. Reggie showed heart.

Unfortunately, neither ended up being good enough for a win.

It's tough being a Saints fan - I've been through lean years before.

But this just really, really hurts.

Nice job on the last minute win.

Clutch kick by Brown. Must be nice having a real placekicker. We had one and let him go and I've regretted the move ever since.
Old 10-07-2007   #13
kwayshauntay
Veteran

Rep Power: 833 kwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respected

he had a few nice runs early on, offset by many more mediocre go-down-on-first-contact type runs, as evidenced by his pedestrian 3.2 ypc.

hardly worth all the hype and knob-slobbing he gets.

on the fox postgame show, they said reggie is statistically the worst running back in the league in terms of going down on first contact lol.
kwayshauntay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007   #14
drewmar74
disgruntled

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwayshauntay View Post
on the fox postgame show, they said reggie is statistically the worst running back in the league in terms of going down on first contact lol.
Have they put Dayne's numbers in the mix for that stat? I can't see how someone could be worse than Dayne....
Old 10-07-2007   #15
kwayshauntay
Veteran

Rep Power: 833 kwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Have they put Dayne's numbers in the mix for that stat? I can't see how someone could be worse than Dayne....
i don't know, as i don't work for fox's statistics department. i'm merely the messenger.
kwayshauntay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007   #16
drewmar74
disgruntled

Quote:
i don't know, as i don't work for fox's statistics department. i'm merely the messenger.
No no. I understand that. It's just that if anyone looks at Dayne wrong he falls over. I've never seen such a big dude go down sooooo freakin' easily.
Old 10-07-2007   #17
RazorOye
Ayo

Quote:
hardly worth all the hype and knob-slobbing he gets.
which is part of the point I initially conceded

and actually, I've seen a lot more negative press about Reggie's skills than positive

I just don't understand the obsession

Reggie will probably be on a lot of commercials and advertisements because he is a name that a lot of people know and he's a good looking guy.

But that's a product of celebrity. There are plenty of celebrities who get attention despite the fact that they've done little of merit - they are just personalities that people, for whatever reason, are interested in.

And the NFL is going to continue to market Bush because he's a name that a ton of people know and that has nothing to do with anything he has accomplished or not accomplished as an NFL player.

Most of the pundits are being critical of Reggie. I've heard a lot of people being critical recently. The FOX announcers in the postgame, as you mentioned, are among them.

I don't think many people who truly know football believe that Reggie is, or will ever be, the type of Hall of Famer, Sayers-esque running back - I certainly don't and I root like heck for the guy.

But his talent is apart from his celebrity.

I mean, what did Paris Hilton ever do to justify her celebrity status or designation as Sexiest Woman Alive - I can think of many sexier. But that had little to do with it - it was just about celebrity and selling copies.

The NFL and other companies are using Bush as a marketing tool becuase it works. And I don't blame them so long as it's working.

And I just find it amusing that so many people around here - and I've read a lot more than I post - accuse the media of being so obsessed with Bush. Yet, I see more obsession from some of these posters. I don't get it.
Old 10-08-2007   #18
kcdoubleeagle
Veteran

Rep Power: 475 kcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respected

Probably because the Texans were so universally slammed for not picking this guy. They were the rag dolls for all analysts at ESPN. Houstonians are sick of hearing it and are happy to see the Texans front office isn't incompetent. Heck, maybe they actually know what they are doing...
kcdoubleeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #19
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Please LEAVE REGGIE ALONE! He had 67 yards today! His commercials aired over 200 times today. That is a combined number of 267! That has to count for something dammit!
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #20
bigfan77801
Plebian

Rep Power: 376 bigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respected

rep for you Hookem lol

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read