Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-06-2007   #1
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 152954 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Oskee wow wow, Illinois!

Holy crap, what is it about college football that just makes us all feel like college freshmen again? I can almost smell the crisp fall air of Urbana Champaign. You may move from city to city your whole life, but your college team is ALWAYS your college team.

I'm sitting here watching Wisconsin vs. Illinois and just geeking out. It's so nice to have a good team again at Illinois.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007   #2
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Oskee wow wow, Illinois!

Mendenhall looks good.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007   #3
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Benn is going to be fun to watch as he develops. Which in itself is a scary proposition.
Old 10-06-2007   #4
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Ill - Ini
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007   #5
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
Mendenhall looks good.
I've had Mendenhall on my fantasy team all season long only NOT to start him until today. I'd been starting Brent Casteel who has NOT been playing. UGH! Heh!
Old 10-06-2007   #6
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Benn is going to be fun to watch as he develops. Which in itself is a scary proposition.
The commentators just said he is comparable to Boldin and Andre Johnson. He is a true freshman and squats over 400 lbs.

It will be interesting to see if Zook can really get this thing going. If he does, the Big 10 elite will be in trouble.
Old 10-06-2007   #7
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
The commentators just said he is comparable to Boldin and Andre Johnson. He is a true freshman and squats over 400 lbs.
Squatting over 400# isn't a big deal.

I'd expect any college athlete to squat that much.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-06-2007   #8
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

A lot of HS athletes can do this as well. I could do this my the summer of my Junior year, but I was a TE. Benn takes that a step further by being flexible and explosive. I could squat a ton, but could never break 4.7 at 6'1 235, but Benn is a freak of an athlete who can play football at a hella level. He is going to be really fun to watch.
Old 10-06-2007   #9
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:

He can do a squat thrust with a Yugo strapped to his back. He is simply strength exaggerated .
Old 10-06-2007   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
A lot of HS athletes can do this as well. I could do this my the summer of my Junior year, but I was a TE. Benn takes that a step further by being flexible and explosive. I could squat a ton, but could never break 4.7 at 6'1 235, but Benn is a freak of an athlete who can play football at a hella level. He is going to be really fun to watch.
Yeah, a friend of mine was one of the editors for the Bigger, Faster, Stronger program for HS/College athletes. They had all sorts of charts and grading formula for identifying strengths and weaknesses of athletes and a 400# squat wasn't particularly impressive unless you were really small or really young.

Personally, I didn't start lifting seriously until I was in my mid-30's and I've squatted over 400 in competition (therefore, to a legal depth in the AAU.) I'm not a particularly strong guy or anything and my max is around 445 right now. I expect college athletes to be stronger than me and in better shape than I'm in.
Old 10-06-2007   #11
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, a friend of mine was one of the editors for the Bigger, Faster, Stronger program for HS/College athletes. They had all sorts of charts and grading formula for identifying strengths and weaknesses of athletes and a 400# squat wasn't particularly impressive unless you were really small or really young.

Personally, I didn't start lifting seriously until I was in my mid-30's and I've squatted over 400 in competition (therefore, to a legal depth in the AAU.) I'm not a particularly strong guy or anything and my max is around 445 right now. I expect college athletes to be stronger than me and in better shape than I'm in.
We used the BFS program at my school. We had a guy come down from Utah I think every year to have a workshop with us. Most coaches stress squats, so 400 isn't that huge a number. If you bench or power thrust 400, that's something different.
Old 10-06-2007   #12
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
We used the BFS program at my school. We had a guy come down from Utah I think every year to have a workshop with us. Most coaches stress squats, so 400 isn't that huge a number. If you bench or power thrust 400, that's something different.
Was the guy from Utah Kim Goss? That's my friend. He was the strength coach at the Air Force Academy during the 90's. I trained with him for awhile. Learned a ton from the dude.

I saw on the Texan's site, there was an interview with Amobi and they were talking about his bench. He was benching over 400 and he was only like 15 years old. That's just crazy.
Old 10-06-2007   #13
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Was the guy from Utah Kim Goss? That's my friend. He was the strength coach at the Air Force Academy during the 90's. I trained with him for awhile. Learned a ton from the dude.

I saw on the Texan's site, there was an interview with Amobi and they were talking about his bench. He was benching over 400 and he was only like 15 years old. That's just crazy.
I honestly don't remember his name. 4 years of the guy, and I don't remember his name. He had a shaved head if that helps. He travels around doing clinics. My senior year we watched a video about a Sweedish guy who was 6'0 270 and clocked a 4.23 electronicly timed 40 and could headbutt the backboard from a standstill.
Old 10-06-2007   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was benching a bit over 300 at that age and I thought I was doing good...good lord, that's insane.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007   #15
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 152954 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh yeah baby, Illinois wins!

Mendenhall looks great.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Oh yeah baby, Illinois wins!

Mendenhall looks great.
Congrats! Good game.
Old 10-06-2007   #17
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I was benching a bit over 300 at that age and I thought I was doing good...good lord, that's insane.
That is impressive any way you slice it. I've never been able to put up 300 on the bench. At 15 Vinny? Good Lord.
Old 10-06-2007   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

It was free weights too, yeah I was an early bloomer...but now 20-something years later all I try to push away is the dinner table.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read