Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-05-2007   #1
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 158648 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default OL on thin ice .

I think the next time we can't convert on a 3rd and short , it's time for White or Studdard to play .

I'm thinking in a battle of wills , our guards may lack in that area .

I think Mike F left his best years in Green Bay .

I am almost of the mindset , actually I've always have been ... there still is some weeds in the garden . Meaning there's only a few players from that 2-14 team I'd keep .

Any ideas on this or Dayne is just slow as molasses in the south pole and can't hit the hole .
Old 10-05-2007   #2
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 222419 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: OL on thin ice .

Dayne is an elephant who thinks he's a gazelle.

Center is a problem, and left tackle could be shored up. The other three spots are not bad. Unfortunately, it only takes one player to make the entire unit look bad.
Old 10-05-2007   #3
real

The O-line definitely has a bulk of the blame for not being able to pick up that short yardage when we need it...

At the same time, Having Dayne back there didn't help...
Old 10-05-2007   #4
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I think the next time we can't convert on a 3rd and short , it's time for White or Studdard to play .

I'm thinking in a battle of wills , our guards may lack in that area .

I think Mike F left his best years in Green Bay .

I am almost of the mindset , actually I've always have been ... there still is some weeds in the garden . Meaning there's only a few players from that 2-14 team I'd keep .

Any ideas on this or Dayne is just slow as molasses in the south pole and can't hit the hole .
Well I've beat on him prety good this week. If it's rust, ok. But we just might be getting close to the Petey zone with our centers. They don't like playing rookies as a rule. If we see White, it's prety bad.
Old 10-05-2007   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 158703 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Dayne is a marginal back who is barely in the league and not fit to start....other than needing Green to come back and needing a nasty center with a mean streak, this offense is good enough to win their share of battles. The other guys get paid to win too.....you win some, you lose some....but it's hard to win your battles when you are missing all your skill guys and you roll into the game with a washed up Center.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 304671 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
They don't like playing rookies as a rule. If we see White, it's prety bad.
This is White's 2nd year.

Dayne is living proof of bigger doesn't mean better at short yardage. At three different clubs now (with three different OL's) he has failed to demonstrate any knack for short yardage or goal line situations.
Old 10-05-2007   #7
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
or Studdard to play
Ooops my bad.
Old 10-05-2007   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post
The O-line definitely has a bulk of the blame for not being able to pick up that short yardage when we need it...

At the same time, Having Dayne back there didn't help...
Word. Even Winston said after last game that not converting 3rd and short is on the offensive line.

I think we'd have more luck just letting Schaub throw for it in these situations. At least give him the chance half of the time. It can't be worse than what we saw last week - three and out way too often.
Old 10-05-2007   #9
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
They don't like playing rookies as a rule.

Did you get this inside scoop from Mario, DeMeco, OD, Spencer, Winston and Wali Lundy last year, or Amobi and JJ this year???
And if your answer is that those guys played out of necessity, well... answer the door, necessity's knocking...

Last edited by michaelm; 10-05-2007 at 02:40 PM.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

How have Mike Sherman's guys done so far (former Packer players)?
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #11
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Might be time to look at if it's third and short .....pass for the first down. You'd ideally like to run to be able to get those but it's looking like right now our running game isn't where it needs to be. Schaub is looking more and more like the right decision at QB for now and the future might as well let him engineer a way to get those critical third and shorts...if it means passing fine. I really could care less just those third and shorts are not things that should be consistently stalling drives.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #12
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 158648 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I see a problem in situations that win games ( 3rd and 1 yd ) . These are things good teams do .

My hunch is Chester is a wishy washy player . Am I crazy or did he not block anyone on that screen .... I think he was the lead blocker .

In my mind , this is a problem that's been going on for awhile . It's a talent vs production thing that'll kill you if you hang on ( I did'nt mention Carr ) .
Old 10-05-2007   #13
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
but it's hard to win your battles when you are missing all your skill guys and you roll into the game with a washed up Center.

True - I don't think this is all on the players. The coaches, who have made some astute personnel moves, have also made some questionable ones. Entering the season with (arguably) one NFL caliber player at center and running back is one of the latter.
Old 10-05-2007   #14
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

I disagree on this one. How would any team do if they had the injuries we did? Say the Colts lost Addai, Wayne, and Harrison? Or the Titans lost Brown and whatever scrub receivers they've got there now? Do you have any confidence in Lendale White or Chris Henry?

We had a lot of holes to fill. There were only two running backs worth taking in the draft. Besides AP and Marshawn Lynch, none of the others have close to 100 yards rushing total thus far. So Okoye or Lynch? I think it's a no-brainer. In free agency, Ahman Green was the consensus top RB. It wouldn't make sense to blow their wad on two free agent RBs. Last, street free agents? No viable veteran options. They did pick up the consensus top UDFA RB. Perhaps keeping Dayne over another back wasn't the best decision, but he was very productive at the end of the season running behind McKinney and Leach. But I suspect that if Chris Taylor hadn't gone down, he would have become the no. 2 back. Perhaps they could have traded for a back, but again we still need more draft picks, not less.

Flanagan is clearly on the down side of his career, but he's still serviceable. And that's what most back-ups are. They also pointedly kept Chris White on the roster as a project guy.

I'm not sure what else they could have done in those two departments with a limited cap and no extra draft picks to play with.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 304671 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex King View Post
In free agency, Ahman Green was the consensus top RB. It wouldn't make sense to blow their wad on two free agent RBs. Last, street free agents? No viable veteran options. They did pick up the consensus top UDFA RB.
I like the Green pick-up but can't agree here. Travis Henry was available (yes you have to consider his recent situation)--but he was younger and stellar last year, Thomas Jones for a song, Chris Brown for a song. There were other options--of course at the time they were probably thinking Chris Taylor would be the #2 and Gado off the team, but that has to be chalked up to bad luck. It would have made great sense to bring in Green and then Brown.
Old 10-05-2007   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 158703 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I like the Green pick-up but can't agree here. Travis Henry was available (yes you have to consider his recent situation)--but he was younger and stellar last year, Thomas Jones for a song, Chris Brown for a song. There were other options--of course at the time they were probably thinking Chris Taylor would be the #2 and Gado off the team, but that has to be chalked up to bad luck. It would have made great sense to bring in Green and then Brown.
just to correlate a bit....look what the Pats did with their WR problem....they didn't just fix it, they made sure they didn't get caught like we did with our backs....some people questioned their wisdom about signing so many WR's but hell, look at their passing game now.

Old 10-05-2007   #17
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't the Pats flip a pass to Vrabel in the EZ the other night vs. Cinci when they couldn't run it in after a couple of shots from inside the 5 ?
Unless Kubiak is set on emulating Woody Hayes, why doesnt he get off of this "3 yards and a cloud of dust" mentality ? He's suppose to be an offensive guru, remember ? We've got TEs with good hands, a FB who can run or catch the ball, etc. C'mon Kubiak, use your offensive-oriented head you're being paid for instead of trying to make some kind of statement about being stubborn.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Didn't the Pats flip a pass to Vrabel in the EZ the other night vs. Cinci when they couldn't run it in after a couple of shots from inside the 5 ?
Unless Kubiak is set on emulating Woody Hayes, why doesnt he get off of this "3 yards and a cloud of dust" mentality ? He's suppose to be an offensive guru, remember ? We've got TEs with good hands, a FB who can run or catch the ball, etc. C'mon Kubiak, use your offensive-oriented head you're being paid for instead of trying to make some kind of statement about being stubborn.
He's had Schaub throw to the TE and the FB earlier for TD's in the early part of this season....just because we couldn't run the ball in once he is all of a sudden trying to be stubborn?

Old 10-05-2007   #19
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Okay, I admit I didn't know the contract situation of Jones. But all those guys you mentioned are starting - Henry and Jones went to situations where there was a clear void at RB, just as Green did. I have some doubt they would have signed with us with Green already on board (or vice versa). I also didn't rate Brown very much, though he's doing great this year. Their stringent policy on character possibly precluded them from considering Henry.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #20
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
He's had Schaub throw to the TE and the FB earlier for TD's in the early part of this season....just because we couldn't run the ball in once he is all of a sudden trying to be stubborn?
Wasn't it our first offensive series of the game when he ran Dayne up the middle 3 straight times and had to punt ? Why do we want to try that strategy again from around the 5 ? It seems to be real obvious by then.
Kubiak seems to be fond of saying you should be able to get a yard in this league when you need it, or something along those lines. I say you do what you have to do from around the 5 to get into the EZ, whatever that is.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read