Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-04-2007   #21
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP
Default Re: Define 'blitz'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
I always defined it as when a player who normally doesn't rush the QB, does rush. In a 4-3, this means the LB's and/or DB's.

In a 3/4, OLB's also double as down lineman on pass plays, so I would not consider those players as blitzing players. But, if an ILB or DB rushed, then I would consider that a blitz.

That's the way I see it, and in this case I would side with the defintion given by Marc Vandemeer.
Whoa, missed this thread. That's pretty much what I'd go with. In the vernacular, I'd say Andre was pwned.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #22
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Define 'blitz'

Under Andre's definition, could you not "Blitz" (let's say two extra men), and say the TE and FB jump onto the line and help block. Does that change it from a blitz to pressure?
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #23
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Blitz, when anyone other than a down defensive lineman rushes the passer. If it is a 34 or 43 line up it doesn't matter. If someone other than the guys that are standing/hands on the ground as lineman at the line of scrimage goes after the QB, it's a blitz.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #24
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

I missed it this morning but this is a big reason why I don't like Andre Ware. He makes assinine statements (ie. Deion Sanders is the best football player ever) and is too quick on the defense when questioned about it. It's almost like trying to have an adult discussion with a 10 year old.

I loved MV when he was with Rich in the afternoon but I just can't stomach the morning show with Ware.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #25
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Blitz, when anyone other than a down defensive lineman rushes the passer. If it is a 34 or 43 line up it doesn't matter. If someone other than the guys that are standing/hands on the ground as lineman at the line of scrimage goes after the QB, it's a blitz.
Agreed! You bring anybody other than a lineman, you're blitzing. The o-lineman have their assignments to block those down linemen. When somebody comes other than those guys, adjustments have to be made, aka, picking up the blitz.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #26
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I just kinda define a blitz when a man who is usually in a coverage technique rushes the passer in passing downs or shoots a gap in a "run blitz".

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #27
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Define 'blitz'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
Under Andre's definition, could you not "Blitz" (let's say two extra men, a CB and LB), and say the TE and FB jump onto the line and help block. Does that change it from a "blitz" to "pressure?"
So this is correct (correct as in a flaw in Andre's argument), correct? (sorry all, remember, I never played football!)
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-04-2007   #28
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
So this is correct (correct as in a flaw in Andre's argument), correct? (sorry all, remember, I never played football!)
That would be correct under Andrea's line of thinking.
Old 10-04-2007   #29
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a great topic. Bottom line, it's probably going to boil down perspective and your experience playing football.

First thing to consider is when did the term come about and what was the intent of the definition at that time. The term blitz came around in 50's I believe. I think we can all agree the game has changed a lot since then. Back then, I believe this strategy was developed to overwhelm the blockers by sheer numbers while giving up the advantage on the coverage side. Which supports Andre's contention.

Second, you have to take into account the term stunt. That is a defensive manuever that uses the same amount of lineman/rushers but is used to confuse the blocking scheme.

Now, if you start dropping lineman back into coverage and rushing a LB or defensive back, do you really want to call that a blitz? That really sounds like a stunt to me if you are only rushing 4 to 5 guys at end of the play. You are just trying to confuse the blocking scheme, not overwhelm it with sheer numbers.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #30
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
This is a great topic. Bottom line, it's probably going to boil down perspective and your experience playing football.

First thing to consider is when did the term come about and what was the intent of the definition at that time. The term blitz came around in 50's I believe. I think we can all agree the game has changed a lot since then. Back then, I believe this strategy was developed to overwhelm the blockers by sheer numbers while giving up the advantage on the coverage side. Which supports Andre's contention.

Second, you have to take into account the term stunt. That is a defensive manuever that uses the same amount of lineman/rushers but is used to confuse the blocking scheme.

Now, if you start dropping lineman back into coverage and rushing a LB or defensive back, do you really want to call that a blitz? That really sounds like a stunt to me if you are only rushing 4 to 5 guys at end of the play. You are just trying to confuse the blocking scheme, not overwhelm it with sheer numbers.
a stunt is when you cross over and take the the gap of the player beside you. ie Mario taking an inside rush and pressuring the Guard while Okoye swings wide and taking on the Offensive Tackle

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #31
pappy
Veteran

Rep Power: 3248 pappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This is a definition i support and i think both views are legit
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #32
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I just kinda define a blitz when a man who is usually in a coverage technique rushes the passer in passing downs or shoots a gap in a "run blitz".
That's pretty much how I've always thought of a blitz. I listened to this exchange with Andre & Marc, and it definately got pretty heated between the two of them. You could actually hear Andre get up towards the end of it & say something to the effect of "out" or "break". I've always thought of a blitz much like Marc explained it, but I guess Andre didn't like having a radio guy telling him what a blitz is live on the air with his 30 years of football experience.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #33
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
a stunt is when you cross over and take the the gap of the player beside you. ie Mario taking an inside rush and pressuring the Guard while Okoye swings wide and taking on the Offensive Tackle
What is the purpose of a stunt?

To confuse the blocking scheme.

Take a step back and look at the objective.

You are looking at a stunt too literally.

Bottom line, the Texans didn't blitz 27 times against the Falcons. Kubiak sounds like a politician playing with budget numbers.
Old 10-04-2007   #34
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Excellent summary. You should have called in and straightened them both out.

And I always thought that "pressure" was the intended result of a blitz or a stunt, not a scheme unto itself.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #35
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

I think Andre is probably right technically if you think back to when the term came into play and the strategy was developed. It's just the game has changed so much over the last 20 years or so. The term was never intended for this type of stuff.

I'll give you an scenario. What if a defense decides to rush 4 DBs and 1 LB and drops back the 4 down lineman to assist the 2 LBs in a coverage. This is assuming a typical 4-3 defense.

Would you call that a blitz?

I wouldn't.

But, I can see how someone could look at as a blitz though. My opinion, it isn't, your just trying to confuse the offense, not knock the QB's block off.

Bottom line, you have to factor in the stunt concept when discussing this topic and these so-called "exotic blitzs".

I believe the term blitz is overused and was probably the bigger point Andre was making.

Last edited by hollywood_texan; 10-04-2007 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-04-2007   #36
pappy
Veteran

Rep Power: 3248 pappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What is the purpose of a stunt?

To confuse the blocking scheme.

Take a step back and look at the objective.

You are looking at a stunt too literally.

Bottom line, the Texans didn't blitz 27 times against the Falcons. Kubiak sounds like a politician playing with budget numbers.
Kubiak is a very conservative type and i guess he views anything other than a four man rush a blitz .
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #37
real

In a 3-4 your OLB's are not normally looked at as "blitzers" when they rush the QB...

A stunt has nothing to do with a blitz...Two totally different things that really don't have much of a connection...

Most of the time your D-line is running stunts, and any LB or DB that rushes is merely blitzing...

This really isn't that difficult...I think people are making it harder than it has to be..

Andre may have meant something totally different, but from the definition that I read he's just flat out wrong...

How could a defense have a "blitz package" if they don't know who is going to be staying in to block ?

When Demeco rushes the QB it's called a blitz....even if they don't send out one reciever and the whole team and all their fans are back there pass protecting...it's called a blitz...
Old 10-04-2007   #38
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222469 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think Andre is probably right technically if you think back to when the term came into play and the strategy was developed. It's just the game has changed so much over the last 20 years or so. The term was never intended for this type of stuff.

I'll give you an scenario. What if a defense decides to rush 4 DBs and 1 LB and drops back the 4 down lineman to assist the 2 LBs in a coverage. This is assuming a typical 4-3 defense.

Would you call that a blitz?

I wouldn't.

But, I can see how someone could look at as a blitz though. My opinion, it isn't, your just trying to confuse the offense, not knock the QB's block off.

Bottom line, you have to factor in the stunt concept when discussing this topic and these so-called "exotic blitzs".

I believe the term blitz is overused and was probably the bigger point Andre was making.
I'd call that a blitz because according to my understanding of it, it's not about numbers. If a DB is coming, it's a blitz. If a LB is coming, it's a blitz. If a lineman is falling back into coverage and a LB is coming, it's still a blitz because he's not a down linemen.

I don't think the concept of trying to confuse blocking schemes needs to be taken into account at all. It's not that complicated. And I don't think the term is overused because it's still an accurate description of what's happening when an LB or DB is coming and trying to shoot a gap and get penetration. Whether that's to tackle the QB or the RB.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #39
real

Quote:

D-lines run stunts....There can be a LB or DB directly involved with that D-linemans stunt, but that LB or DB is still blitzing....not stunting...

Get it?

The whole thing together is called a "stunt"...But the term for what the D-lineman is doing is called stunting and that LB or DB is blitzing, but are involved with the stunt...

If you combine the two then you would say: "hey they ran a stunt. The LB blitzed a gap and the DE stunted around him"...

It doesn't matter if they drop all four D-lineman and one lonely CB rushes the passer...

That corner is still blitzing...

Please don't let Andre Ware confuse you..

Last edited by real; 10-04-2007 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-04-2007   #40
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Then what is it?
In a 3-4, like Spec said, you normally are going to have atleast one of those OLB's if not both rushing on every down...

Watch the Cowboys play...

Normally they are going to be up on the line of scrimmage also...

Those guys have special roles so it's kind of hard and just a kind of situational thing as to whether you would truly say that an OLB in the 3-4 "blitzed"...

Most of the time you would just say "they came on that one"...

OLB's in a 3-4 are essentially D-lineman that have a little more athletic ability and can move a little bit in space...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read