Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-04-2007   #1
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Define 'blitz'

On this morning's show with Mark Vandermeer and Andre Ware, one of them mentioned that Kubiak said the team blitzed the Falcons 27 times.

A discussion ensued that turned into an argument between Mark and Andre. Ware kept insisting that a "blitz" is defined as bringing one more defender into a pass rush than the offense has blockers. For instance, he said, if the offense has five linemen and a TE, then the defense has to bring 6 defenders to technically make it a "blitz". He said anything else is considered "bringing pressure".

Mark argued that a blitz is anytime you bring someone for a pass rush that is not a lineman. He mentioned a 'zone blitz', where a lineman drops into coverage and the defense brings a LB or CB into the rush. Andre continue to insist that this is NOT a blitz, regardless of what anyone calls it, and it is strictly "bringing pressure" if there are not more defenders than blockers.

The debate got pretty heated, with Ware mentioning his 30 years of football experience and playing in the NFL. He got so upset that they cut to a commercial break to cool off. I was actually surprised that Andre Ware got so angry and he sounded offended that his knowledge was being questioned. Kind of a weird segment and a side of them that I've never heard before.

So what do y'all think? I've always thought a "blitz" was of Mark V's definition, especially in light of Kubiak saying that we blitzed ATL 27 times. No way is the HC saying that we brought more defenders than they had blockers 27 times.

I thought it might be a good topic for discussion.
Old 10-04-2007   #2
real

Default Re: Define 'blitz'

I think Andre is losing it.

If a LB or DB blitzes...

It's called a blitz...
Old 10-04-2007   #3
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post

That's twice now that the zone blitz has exposed him as a fraud. Obviously, the first time was as an NFL Qb!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #4
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I define blitz, from my perspective when I am viewing, as you send more than the front of your scheme. Under that very loose definition of a blitz, in order for them to blitz 27 times they must have blitzed the whole second half because I did not see it in the first half.

However, the Falcons only scored 6 pts in the second half.
Old 10-04-2007   #5
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

To me, a blitz has always been about bringing linebackers and/or DB's instead of just linemen. I have never heard there being a requirement that you have 1 more rusher than blockers to be considered a blitz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossar...can_football#B
"blitz
a defensive maneuver in which one or more linebackers or defensive backs, who normally remain behind the line of scrimmage, instead charge into the opponents' backfield. However, in the 3-4 defense, one linebacker typically rushes the passer with the three down linemen. This is not considered a blitz. If an additional linebacker is sent, bringing the total number of rushers to five, it is a blitz. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blitz_%...an_football%29
"In American football or Canadian football, a blitz, or quarterback rush, is a team defensive maneuver against an opponent's passing play in which the defense sends more players than the offense can block. Usually, blitzes are one or more linebackers or defensive backs, who normally remain behind the line of scrimmage during a play, but are instead sent across the line to the opponent’s side in order to try to tackle the quarterback or disrupt his pass drop."

That second definition ALMOST supports Ware. Almost.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

By his definition a standard OL with two TE's can't be blitzed even if the whole front seven rushes. Anyway:

Quote:
Definition: A defensive strategy in which a linebacker or defensive back vacates his normal responsibilities in order to pressure the quarterback. The object of a blitz is to tackle the quarterback behind the line of scrimmage or force the quarterback to hurry his pass.
About Football

Quote:
When a linebacker(s) and/or defensive back(s) joins the defensive linemen in rushing the quarterback, it is called a blitz. One, two, three, or four of them may blitz the quarterback, overwhelming the offensive linemen. Cagey quarterbacks look for blitzes, anticipating vacant areas to throw to, maybe to a "hot receiver," such as the tight end.
Link
Old 10-04-2007   #7
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I define blitz, from my perspective when I am viewing, as you send more than the front of your scheme. Under that very loose definition of a blitz, in order for them to blitz 27 times they must have blitzed the whole second half because I did not see it in the first half.

However, the Falcons only scored 6 pts in the second half.
They were blitzing in the first half, too.

But didn't they sit Petey in the second half?
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-04-2007   #8
real

How do teams succesfully "pick up blitzes" if it is not a blitz unless you are bringing one extra defender?

In that case, on a blitz, shouldn't atleast one defender always be coming free ?

If we have four down linemen and a LB comes, is he not blitzing ?

No wonder Andre struggled as a QB.

Last edited by real; 10-04-2007 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-04-2007   #9
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
They were blitzing in the first half, too.

But didn't they sit Petey in the second half?
They were. I was looking for this specifically a couple of days ago.

http://texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42906
Old 10-04-2007   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If a LB or DB blitzes...

It's called a blitz...
My take as well, all the way around.

Quote:
How do teams succesfully "pick up blitzes" if it is not a blitz unless you are bringing one extra defender?

In that case, on a blitz, shouldn't atleast one defender always be coming free ?

If we have four down linemen and a LB comes, is he not blitzing ?
See, this is what I thought, and the exact point that Mark was making. How does Tom Brady "pick up the blitz"? Andre replied that Brady is "picking up pressure", and then made the statement that Brady would agree with Ware's take.

I'm sending a link to this thread to Mark.
Old 10-04-2007   #11
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

I always thought that a blitz would be when one abandons coverage in order to rush the QB. This pretty much applies only to the defensive backs and the linebackers. I didn't really think that a lineman could blitz. What about teams running the 3-4 scheme? If that linebacker comes running after the QB then that has to be considered an abandonment of his duties to cover. Doesn't matter how many people are on the line. That's just what I always thought. I guess it's a lot more complicated than that now.
Old 10-04-2007   #12
real

Picking up pressure...???

LMAO...
Old 10-04-2007   #13
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
I always thought that a blitz would be when one abandons coverage in order to rush the QB. This pretty much applies only to the defensive backs and the linebackers. I didn't really think that a lineman could blitz. What about teams running the 3-4 scheme? If that linebacker comes running after the QB then that has to be considered an abandonment of his duties to cover. Doesn't matter how many people are on the line. That's just what I always thought. I guess it's a lot more complicated than that now.
It's different with a 3-4 because of how the OLB's play...

If one of them comes it isn't a blitz.....
Old 10-04-2007   #14
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

according to Andre Ware, a blitz is just like "offsides" in soccer...
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #15
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's different with a 3-4 because of how the OLB's play...

If one of them comes it isn't a blitz.....
Then what is it?
Old 10-04-2007   #16
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Then what is it?
Bringing Pressure?
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #17
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Bringing Pressure?
I am sorry, that is incorrect. The correct answer isss.....Under Pressure.

Old 10-04-2007   #18
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57261 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

I always defined it as when a player who normally doesn't rush the QB, does rush. In a 4-3, this means the LB's and/or DB's.

In a 3/4, OLB's also double as down lineman on pass plays, so I would not consider those players as blitzing players. But, if an ILB or DB rushed, then I would consider that a blitz.

That's the way I see it, and in this case I would side with the defintion given by Marc Vandemeer.
Old 10-04-2007   #19
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Bringing Pressure?
Not sure if you're being sarcastic but I most certainly am not. I sincerely want to know the answer. The game of football is a lot more complicated than one would be willing to submit to and it's just something that I have a passion for and want to improve my knowledge.

If you're not being sarcastic then... Isn't bringing pressure simply a blitz? Especially when it comes from a man who left coverage over the line of scrimmage to attack behind the line of scrimmage. Sounds like a blitz to me.

If I'm wrong, please correct me.
Old 10-04-2007   #20
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Bringing Pressure?
HAHA funny.

in a 3-4 you usually have one or two LB rushing the QB on every single down because of the formation used. When an additional LB rushes the QB then it is called a blitz. Or if a Saftey or CB rush it is also a blitz.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read