Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-14-2004   #1
kevinjagsfan
Rookie

Default Jags fan with a Question

is double D ya'lls long term answer at runningback?
I think for the 1st half his YPC was under 2 and a half.\
he made the colts defense look like....well.....a defense.
What's going to happen?

an an unrelated note, DAM! peyton looked like he had a vendetta against you guys, passing the whole time like that.
kevinjagsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004   #2
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 11712 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

personally, till we get consistent on the o-line.. it may be hard to decide if DD is the future or not? The way it was played today - no many holes really to run through.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't consider Davis too talented. He is a nice 3rd down back but not much more. He has over 130 rushes this year with a long run of 11 yards.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually he has 152 rushes with a long run of 12 yards. Davis isn't overpowering, he isn't real fast, and he is no threat for a big play. He isn't a NFL quality feature back; he's just the best we have for now.
Old 11-14-2004   #5
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

well when you think about davis the one quality he brings to the table is his ability to cut back and change direction quickly...in which the zone blocking scheme should make him flourish...he has done everything but flourish with this scheme...and yes vinny is right on him i believe...he doesn't do one thing that really stands out...he's not a powerback, a speedback, or just a solid back...he's like curtis martin without the ability to continue the play...i think we have a lot of needs that we didn't see before this season...help on o-line, d-line, runningback, after this season another reciever, and unless glenn earl really comes into his own a starting SS
Old 11-14-2004   #6
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3261 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Davis is good...but like what Vinny said, I agree that he is a 3rd down back. I'd like to see us possibly pursue Derick Blaylock, or draft a runningback in this offseason.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004   #7
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinjagsfan
is double D ya'lls long term answer at runningback?
I think for the 1st half his YPC was under 2 and a half.\
he made the colts defense look like....well.....a defense.
What's going to happen?

an an unrelated note, DAM! peyton looked like he had a vendetta against you guys, passing the whole time like that.
No, Davis is not the answer. He will be a great 3rd down back (like Vinny said) and I think will be a great PR/KR (the reason we drafted him). I am hoping that we pick up Ronnie Brown in the draft.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-14-2004   #8
TexSon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 TexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
I am hoping that we pick up Ronnie Brown in the draft.
If he is there in the second, I'm all for it.
TexSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004   #9
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
Davis is good...but like what Vinny said, I agree that he is a 3rd down back. I'd like to see us possibly pursue Derick Blaylock, or draft a runningback in this offseason.
I don't know if any NFL RB's want to ruin their careers behind our O-line. Best bet is to draft a RB who has no clue what he is in for. If we do draft a rookie RB, let's all say a prayer for him.
Old 11-14-2004   #10
Oilers/Texans
Veteran

I like Davis. He is a threat running and as a receiver in the passing game.
Oilers/Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004   #11
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers/Texans
I like Davis. He is a threat running and as a receiver in the passing game.
I was hoping someone was going to say that. Ronnie Brown has great hands. Caught 8 passes against the Bulldogs and a TD on a post route. Brown also has the speed to destroy teams when he gets into the open field and will really be a threat when he catches the dump offs from Carr...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 11-14-2004   #12
Oilers/Texans
Veteran

I'll take Domanick.
Old 11-14-2004   #13
Oilers/Texans
Veteran

Also on Ronnie Brown, he is probably going to be one of the top backs drafted. Hopefully, the Texans won't be drafting anywhere near the top of the draft.
Old 11-14-2004   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

The first back taken last year was Steven Jackson @ pick 24 overall. In 2003 it was McGahee at the 24th overall pick. Early picks usually go to more durable positions. No way Brown goes too early for us to pick him in the first...but I doubt we take a back with the first pick. He may slide to the second round. A ton of solid backs do.
Old 11-14-2004   #15
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers/Texans
Also on Ronnie Brown, he is probably going to be one of the top backs drafted. Hopefully, the Texans won't be drafting anywhere near the top of the draft.
Backs arent taken high anymore though. The 1st back taken last year was Steven Jackson, who a lot of people thought was a Top 10 pick, but Jackson fell to around #25. So Brown, Cadillac, and Benson can fall and I wont be surprised...

And if the Texans play the rest of the year like they have the past two weeks, we will be picking really high...

Old 11-14-2004   #16
Oilers/Texans
Veteran

That's true about last year's draft. It just all depends on who's picking and what their need is at that time I guess. Anyway, it is way too early to talk about the draft. There is still a bunch of football left.
Old 11-14-2004   #17
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 61262 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I bothered to take note of Davis on the carries that he got to the 2nd level (only a handfull) and he did not make anyone on a below average defense miss or break tackles. He got what has there and no more.

His performance is reminding me of Billy miller in the first year and half. He is the best that he have so it is easy to get fooled that he is better than he really is.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004   #18
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

152 total yards today. Not bad for a 3rd down back, even though most of it was after it didn't matter.

Last edited by aj.; 11-14-2004 at 08:28 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Dom had 31 Carries for 98 yards. He had 7 receptions for the other 54. He did bust out with his season long run of 12 yards though. On 152 attempts.
Old 11-14-2004   #20
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 61262 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
152 total yards today. Not bad for a 3rd down back.
38 touches equals exactly 4 yards a touch...and we have not got into the concept of gargabe time yards and TDs.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read