Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-03-2007   #21
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Okoye NFL Defensive Rookie of the month

Way to go rook!
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007   #22
TexansFaninNC
Rookie

Well deserved and hopefully the first of many to come
TexansFaninNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007   #23
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Whatever Mario it is that Mario is bringing to the table, well I guess I feel we just need more of it. He isn't a liability or anything. He just may not be the best guy on the roster at the moment. It seems when Cochran gets a shot, he finds a way to get past the OL and put some semblance of a pass rush on. I am not hating, just going by what I have seen and I watch MW quite often as its important that he develops into what we thought he would be when we drafted him.

And I think it is the entire unit working together that is allowing the different player to excel. Kalu has been the vocal leader of the group and his missing the game did have an effect. I think Kalu makes the game fun for the other guys and they start looping and stunting and setting guys up to succeed.

Mario has had a solid year against the run, DE and DT rarely have a ton of tackles, and him and Amobi being near the ball on nearly every play is a sign of their hustle and quickness.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007   #24
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

It is nice to see his hard work being noticed around the league.

Old 10-03-2007   #25
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Exceeding expectations. That is very good to hear.
Old 10-03-2007   #26
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

A lot of you labeled him as a bust in the preseason and even through week one. I'd like to see some crow served, it that's not asking too much. Same thing goes for Travis Johnson. He was never given a chance and has never played bad under Kubiak, yet he's a bust.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007   #27
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 151691 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

They should replace the stadium chant of "Houston Texans" with "Amobi Okoye" for a defensive stand or two.

We've got some young studs on D!

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-03-2007   #28
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
A lot of you labeled him as a bust in the preseason and even through week one. I'd like to see some crow served, it that's not asking too much. Same thing goes for Travis Johnson. He was never given a chance and has never played bad under Kubiak, yet he's a bust.
I never called either a bust, but I think the label was a lot more defensible for TJ. Kubiak DID have to get on his case to motivate him. Something he hasn't had to do with Amobi. Looking forward to a lot more awards for the kid.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007   #29
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 69312 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Way to go Amobi ! Now Defensive ROY shouldn't be too far behind if he continues at this pace .

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #30
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Two consecutive DROYs? It's possible it could happen if Patrick Willis starts to slow down some more since a great LB season always gets the nod over a great DT season.

Hope Amobi adds some more sack numbers this week. He's going to need every one of them if he wants DROY.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #31
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

A moderately good linebacking season will get more awards than a great DT season.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #32
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Defensive player of month?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Can someone confirm what I think I just heard on 610 radio? Demeco Ryans named player of month.
YYeah that play vs Steve Smith where he..... Demeeeeeco had him wraped up and the little rascel sliped the halter...that salted it away for him. He was lucky he wasn't benched.
Old 10-04-2007   #33
YellerLotYeller
nice marmot

Rep Power: 187 YellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respected

Damn at 20 he looks like a beast already.
YellerLotYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #34
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
YYeah that play vs Steve Smith where he..... Demeeeeeco had him wraped up and the little rascel sliped the halter...that salted it away for him. He was lucky he wasn't benched.
That was not Demeecos fault. It was the guys who came flying in and knocking others off the tackle. They are supposed to help not hinder.
Old 10-04-2007   #35
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 222419 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
LOL, you're suggesting Demeco should have been benched over that? That is ludicrous. Even if Ryans had just totally botched that tackle and looked like P-Buch or Matt Stevens, he's been such a sure tackler, that would be his mulligan. You can't be serious, right?
Old 10-04-2007   #36
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Whatever Mario it is that Mario is bringing to the table, well I guess I feel we just need more of it. He isn't a liability or anything. He just may not be the best guy on the roster at the moment. It seems when Cochran gets a shot, he finds a way to get past the OL and put some semblance of a pass rush on. I am not hating, just going by what I have seen and I watch MW quite often as its important that he develops into what we thought he would be when we drafted him.
I was re-watching the game yesterday. I saw one play where Amobi busted through the line, and stopped Norwood in the backfield for a loss.

The announcer went crazy, about how impressive Amobi was, about how great he was going to be, and about how much that play was going to help us in the game.

The very next play, Mario did the exact same thing.

The announcer was ho-hum about it.
Old 10-04-2007   #37
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I sure hope so. TJ has really impressed me at times this year. He has shown a lot of heart and seems to want to play now. Mario, on the other hand, seems to be content with trying to bullrush people...I just don't know if he has the fire. He seems to always be on his feet at the end of plays but is that necessarily a good thing? He doesn't seem to want to stick his nose in it sometimes. Weaver is an average DE which is all he has ever been. He isn't a liability but he isn't much of a playmaker either.

I think TJ and Okoye could really be a nice DT tandem but am not sure about Mario and Weaver as our starting DE. Kalu when healthy is a better alternative than either guy at the moment. I think it may be time to start giving some of our DE youth a shot at some playing time too. Maybe it will light a fire under MW and AW to start getting to the QB or ride pine.

I think Mario could become a really good DE but he has got to start earning his keep soon. He is just beat in too many one on one matchups even with TEs blocking him.

Props to Okoye for playing with a motor and with heart. He deserves NFL DROM for sure. 4 sacks in 4 games extrapolates into a 16 sack season. That would be a bonafide legitimate trip to Hawaii for the Pro Bowl. He is going to be a monster.....Mario? me thinks not so much...
Smith's secret plan it to move Mario to Weaver's spot and draft a D lineman in 2008 first round.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #38
Danish_bull
Rookie

he deserves it. Truly. Nice way to go Amobi
Danish_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #39
marks01234
Rookie

Rep Power: 185 marks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I was re-watching the game yesterday. I saw one play where Amobi busted through the line, and stopped Norwood in the backfield for a loss.

The announcer went crazy, about how impressive Amobi was, about how great he was going to be, and about how much that play was going to help us in the game.

The very next play, Mario did the exact same thing.

The announcer was ho-hum about it.
Mario's always going to have to live with this. To many people will never admit they were wrong.
marks01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #40
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfuldragon View Post
Sweet.
Nicely put.

I agree with this.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read