Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-03-2007   #41
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 59622 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: No EyE for talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Pappy and Caddy need to hook up.
You know if you take "Pappy" and turn it upside down and look at it in the mirror, it looks alot like "Caddy".
Old 10-03-2007   #42
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

In response to the post about Lundy not improving the running game:

That's not my point. Improving the running game is basically Green's job. But if he's too hurt or can't do it, then we'll need to adjust to a short passing game. The good news is that we have exactly the right QB to do just that. But Schaub needs someone coming out of the backfield who can turn those two-yard checkdowns into six yard gains. Dayne can't catch and Cook/Leach can't do anything with the ball once they get it. Green is certainly a weapon in the passing game, but if he has to be our primary ballcarrier AND primary out-of-the-backfield-receiver, he's not going to last the season.

Maybe Gado can do it, but if he could, then why wasn't he on the field in the Atlanta game when we were finally throwing it? As I see it, having Dayne and Gado on the roster together is a decision the Department of Redundancy Department would be proud of.

I'm not saying Lundy improves the running attack (though I don't rule that out if Green is hurt), but we're looking like we have a marginal ground game at best with or without him. If that's the case, we better be able to work the short passing game, and to do that, we need someone like Lundy.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007   #43
pappy
Veteran

Rep Power: 212 pappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
When you are building a team from scratch like we've been doing the last 20 months, tailback should be about the last position addressed. Their careers are very short because they take such a pounding. So even if you get The Man at TB, he may wear out before your team is ready to contend.

Tailback is about the easiest position in the NFL to learn (if--and it's a big if--they know how to pass-protect), so guys can be plugged in from off the street. You won't be getting LDT that way, but if the line creates a hole, any competent TB can get through it.

This is why the Ahman signing made so much sense. He's a good back who only had one previous serious injury--at his age, that is really good (compare, say, fellow 1998 draft class member Fred Taylor). And his is basically a two year deal, so he buys us time to get everything else in place with few strings attached. It is bad luck he got hurt, but if he's back this week, it's all good.

But I think we still need another back to help out the passing game to take the heat off Green. Dayne obviously can't, and I'm assuming Gado can't since he has barely played. There is a back out there who (1) can catch the ball, (2) knows Kubiak's offense and (3) as a huge bonus, is very familiar with Matt Schaub. I know most of you are probably not huge Wali Lundy fans, but I think he can do well in a third-down back type role so that Ahman does not have to take all the pounding. Lundy caught Schaub's check-downs for two years at UVA and was excellent getting the ball up the field (contrast with Cook and Leach who pretty much get tackled right where they catch it). He's no All-Pro, but he can plug right in and give Schaub another viable target in the passing game.
This is a good addition to this post and I like what you have to say . Clearly you have a good EyE for talent and are not afraid to state your case . There however does seem to be alot of folks here who only add personal snipes to this discussion . It will always be my opinion that those who snipe are just agreeing with my complaint and are angry they dont have a constructive argument . But getting back to the topic , Kubiak was hailed by everyone here when he arrived for his ability to create running backs .
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=2552
So where is that talent ? All he has done is hire washed up veterans !
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007   #44
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy View Post
So this great and all wonderful coach we now have has for the last two years put his faith on two complete failures . Those two being dominick davies , and ahman green . Both have flopped one completely the other almost so . Does he have it in him to find a running back ever ? Or are we to suffer with backs that cannot get a yard ? What say yea ?
Is that you Johnsonfan?!?!?

I was just thinking to myself?... "Self, how did you miss thread?"

After reading very little of it, I am now thinking to myself...."Self, you are dumber for having read any of it"...
Old 10-03-2007   #45
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 18579 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

After reading very little of it, I am now thinking to myself...."Self, you are dumber for having read any of it"...

Can't be Johnsonfan - too many words strung together for him.
Old 10-03-2007   #46
real

Quote:
All he has done is hire washed up veterans !
And all you have done is pollute the boards.

What is your point anyway?

That Kubiak is a bad coach ?
Old 10-03-2007   #47
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams View Post
Can't be Johnsonfan - too many words strung together for him.
You're right... but it's got to be someone logged on as a different user name just to:

HarryJ?????
Old 10-03-2007   #48
pappy
Veteran

Rep Power: 212 pappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post
And all you have done is pollute the boards.

What is your point anyway?

That Kubiak is a bad coach ?
And what is your point ? Oh thats right you don't have any .
Old 10-03-2007   #49
pappy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

Oh so obviously lost
Old 10-03-2007   #50
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
So says you who brings up an article from a year and a half ago.

What do you want the head coach to do? The team he inherited had some serious problems, including a massive dead cap hit from the previous staff's ineptitude ($30 million this season alone).

You make derogatory comments about the head coach without offering any viable alternative solutions. And you want to call out folks for not having a point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Before any of you actually dignify Pappy's ridiculous garbage with any more responses, consider this. .

He still thinks David Carr is a better 'quaterback' than Matt Schaub.

Say no more. We have a worm in our midst.
Old 10-03-2007   #51
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

I think its HarryJ stirring the proverbial pot..... Welcome back HarryJ. and nice entrance.
Old 10-03-2007   #52
pappy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
So says you who brings up an article from a year and a half ago.

What do you want the head coach to do? The team he inherited had some serious problems, including a massive dead cap hit from the previous staff's ineptitude ($30 million this season alone).

You make derogatory comments about the head coach without offering any viable alternative solutions. And you want to call out folks for not having a point?

Say no more. We have a worm in our midst.
My point was stated in the topic and it still stands . Kubiak has not lived up to the expectation he would bring in 6th round or lower RB that kicks ass . So the argument of cap space is A non issue as are the last coaches tenure . I am looking for you (or someone else ) to provide a viable counter point but all anyone here is capable of is calling people names . This leaves me thinking that folks here are bigger losers than the texans .
Old 10-03-2007   #53
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 85740 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
When you are building a team from scratch like we've been doing the last 20 months, tailback should be about the last position addressed. Their careers are very short because they take such a pounding. So even if you get The Man at TB, he may wear out before your team is ready to contend.

Tailback is about the easiest position in the NFL to learn (if--and it's a big if--they know how to pass-protect), so guys can be plugged in from off the street. You won't be getting LDT that way, but if the line creates a hole, any competent TB can get through it.

This is why the Ahman signing made so much sense. He's a good back who only had one previous serious injury--at his age, that is really good (compare, say, fellow 1998 draft class member Fred Taylor). And his is basically a two year deal, so he buys us time to get everything else in place with few strings attached. It is bad luck he got hurt, but if he's back this week, it's all good.

But I think we still need another back to help out the passing game to take the heat off Green. Dayne obviously can't, and I'm assuming Gado can't since he has barely played. There is a back out there who (1) can catch the ball, (2) knows Kubiak's offense and (3) as a huge bonus, is very familiar with Matt Schaub. I know most of you are probably not huge Wali Lundy fans, but I think he can do well in a third-down back type role so that Ahman does not have to take all the pounding. Lundy caught Schaub's check-downs for two years at UVA and was excellent getting the ball up the field (contrast with Cook and Leach who pretty much get tackled right where they catch it). He's no All-Pro, but he can plug right in and give Schaub another viable target in the passing game.
Wow...this is probably the best post in this whole thread. +1 Rep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007   #54
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My point was stated in the topic and it still stands . Kubiak has not lived up to the expectation he would bring in 6th round or lower RB that kicks ass . So the argument of cap space is A non issue as are the last coaches tenure . I am looking for you (or someone else ) to provide a viable counter point but all anyone here is capable of is calling people names . This leaves me thinking that folks here are bigger losers than the texans .
Chill out!

He has had two drafts and head coached 20 games.

What player did he not select that we missed on in the RB position in those rounds?

Just relax.

Kubiak/Smith can't fix everything all at once. Not mention, a lot of the RB yards you are referrring to come from an offensive line, QB, and play calling working in tandem. The entire system isn't up and running yet for you to make this expectation of a late round draft pick. Last year, we had a turd of QB who was dumping logs in Carolina last Sunday.

The Texans are heading in the right direction, it just takes a little time.

See ya!
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007   #55
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 18579 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Who's expectations? Yours??

My expectations was a better team, better players, better coaching, more wins. The Texans did that last year. This year is only 4 weeks old, still lots of time for expectations of this year to be met.

If you think the people here are nothing but losers, then go somewhere else to stir up crap. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. You could try the Rams, Eagles, Bungals, or Saints boards.
Old 10-03-2007   #56
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
Not drafting Reggie Bush does not equal believing in Domanick Davis.
That equals sheer genius to me!!!!!!
Old 10-03-2007   #57
pappy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
Chill out!

He has had two drafts and head coached 20 games.

What player did he not select that we missed on in the RB position in those rounds?

Just relax.

Kubiak/Smith can't fix everything all at once. Not mention, a lot of the RB yards you are referrring to come from an offensive line, QB, and play calling working in tandem. The entire system isn't up and running yet for you to make this expectation of a late round draft pick. Last year, we had a turd of QB who was dumping logs in Carolina last Sunday.

The Texans are heading in the right direction, it just takes a little time.

See ya!
Ok i can go here but i am still disappointed so far . Thank you for a civil post at last .
Old 10-03-2007   #58
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Cap space is a "non issue"? Since when can you bring in quality players - who require a healthy paycheck, btw - when you don't have room on under the cap because of mismanagement by the previous staff?

You are delusional if you think front office decisions have no impact on the product on the field.

I think you are blowing out of your assumption when you generalize the Texans fan base. There was a line of thought that Kubiak could follow the Denver model of using later round RBs to success. But the Bronco mold was always predicated on having a HoF QB like Elway.

However, there were many opposing viewpoints among fans pertaining to this subject. Constantly berating fans with your insults and bleating about some article written in June 2006 serves no purpose.

You are reality challenged, either by nature or by choice. Either way, how about you attempt to discuss the issue instead of offering rather weak smack towards other fans.

While we certainly need a solid, every down RB, these guys don't grow on trees. And they still make due with what they can get at this point, as evidenced by Ron Dayne's career day against Indy last year. We won that game on his 153 rushing yards.

Have some patience and at least try to understand that teams do not operate in a vacuum. Kubiak inherited a team with no depth, a bust for a QB, and a losing attitude in the locker room. Rome wasn't built overnight, and neither will the Houston Texans.
Old 10-03-2007   #59
TexansFaninNC
Rookie

Quote:
And what is your point? Are you trying to point out how annoying and pointless your ramblings are? If so you succeed with flying colors.

Be honest, you are really a Cowboys fan aren't you pappy?
TexansFaninNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007   #60
whiskeyrbl

Quote:
Yeah he did 7TH RD. Chris Taylor IR

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read