Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-02-2007   #21
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: No EyE for talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
Okay. For starters, Kubiak has shown a lot of promise as a coach but he's also shown some chinks in the armor. He's got this team motivated and is changing a losing culture which is INCREDIBLY hard to do. So said, you can still see holes in some of the playcalling (find me a fan that doesn't have complaints with his/her coach's playcalling) and his clock management will make you scratch your head sometime. So "great and all wonderful?" No. Solid and showing lots of potential for the future? Yes.

Domanick Davis / Williams a failure? Wow. Okay, DW was probably best suited to being a third down back but toted the rock as a number 1 RB for three years and broke down under the load. DW had 3195 rushing yards, 1276 receiving yards, and 28 TD's in his short career. He's still the Texans' all-time leading rusher and most Texans' fans have a soft spot in their heart for the man who, for a time, was the Texans' most potent weapon. Heck, if it hadn't have been for DW catching all of those passes out of the backfield then David Carr would have had his confidence shattered much, much earlier. DW may have left a bad taste in some folks mouth with regards to his knee, but he was in no way a failure. Furthermore, Kubiak was in no way responsible for DW's knee or contract and saying that Kubiak put his faith in him is, in my opinion, inaccurate at best.

Ahman Green was brought in as a short term solution (yes, a stop gap) at running back and his contract is built like many are these days - essentially a 1 or 2 year deal with lots of "funny money" in the back end of it that AG will probably never see. Now, calling a five-time Pro Bowl selection with 8640 rushing yards, 2744 receiving yards, and 69 TD's a failure is laughable. Furthermore, AG is known as being a fantastic pass protector and you will never be able to tell me that was not a huge factor in why he was sought by our GM and HC. He's been nicked up for sure. But he's also been the only back we've had who's had ANY measure of success running the ball. He'll be back again this year and I'm sure that he'll be productive. I'm also sure that he'll miss some more time because he's older for a RB. Does that make the AG signing in the off season a bad one? No. I'd say not. What was a questionable decision was going into the season with only Ron Dayne and Samkon Gado behind him.

This one to me is the funniest. You make it sound like Kubiak and Smith have been laboring with the RB situation at Houston almost as long as Chicago has been trying to find a QB. Ahhh yes. The 2 years of woefully inadequate RB play. Dude, in case you haven't noticed, they've remedied the woefully inadequate QB play, TE play, OL play, DL play, etc. They had soooo many freakin' HOLES on the roster that they couldn't address all of them immediately. Based on that, I'm willing to give them a pass (albeit a short one) on the RB play. So based on what I've seen out of him and Rick Smith I would be inclined to say "Heck yes, he does have it in him to find a running back." And I don't think it will take forever, either.

Uh... until Ahman comes back or we can draft / sign someone next year the answer is a firm "Maybe." Sometimes Dayne is good for two yards depending on how many D-linemen he bounces off of when he falls.

"Jordan pulls up for the jumper......(swish) and that's the game folks".

This sums it up nicely and this thread should now be closed. Perfectly stated Drewmar. I think this guy is just trying to spread "the love", and by love I mean anger.
Old 10-02-2007   #22
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy View Post
Any knee injury for a running back is very serious and ahman green had such a injury in greenbay . Once this type of injury occurs it can reoccur with only a quick cut such as Ahman did in the indy game . A man with Kubiaks background should understand that so yes it was a risk by kubiak .
Hold on a second professor. Surely you check your facts before you start spewing garbage or is it you like to have fun with whimisical confabulations over whine and cheese?

http://www.packers.com/team/players/green_ahman/
Old 10-03-2007   #23
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

football is an emotional game the fans respond the only was they know how to respond- with emotion

we're all irrelevent the only one who matters is the guy signing the checks long as he feels rewarded, which in this case is building a winning organization he'll continue to let his football people make the decisions & I for one appreciate him & the people he trusts to get the job done

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007   #24
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Before any of you actually dignify Pappy's ridiculous garbage with any more responses, consider this. .

He still thinks David Carr is a better 'quaterback' than Matt Schaub.

Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007   #25
TexansFaninNC
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Before any of you actually dignify Pappy's ridiculous garbage with any more responses, consider this. .

I am wondering how many beers he had before he went on his rant myself. Maybe the Texans should fire Kubiak and hire this "Pappy" character since he knows so much, he could be the next head coach.
TexansFaninNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007   #26
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 349460 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I do believe he was signed for four years so thats not just a stop gap .
His contract is for 4 years but the way it's structured, we can ditch him after 2 years with minimal cap hit.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007   #27
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 171756 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Hold on a second professor. Surely you check your facts before you start spewing garbage or is it you like to have fun with whimisical confabulations over whine and cheese?

http://www.packers.com/team/players/green_ahman/
Let me give you and our dear professor a hand here; as taken from KT's link:

"Ruptured right quadriceps tendon, the first significant injury of his pro career"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-03-2007   #28
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

C'mon Pappy... you are smarter than this. Aren't you???
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007   #29
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Let me give you and our dear professor a hand here; as taken from KT's link:

"Ruptured right quadriceps tendon, the first significant injury of his pro career"
C'mon give the guy a break...You know the old song...

The knee bone's connected to the quad bone....

Oh, wait a minute...He injured his RIGHT quad with Green Bay and his LEFT knee with the Texans.

Them bones ain't connected.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007   #30
TigerV1
All Pro

Rep Power: 91 TigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

Wow, I can't believe anyone actually thinks that way still.

Newsflash: The world isn't flat and David Carr still stinks.

I have no doubt that the running back issue will be addressed, but Pappy, keep in mind that Gary Kubiak approaches the running backs the same way Denver does...by committee. Since this isn't fantasy football I could care less the approach. It will improve, but no worries.
Old 10-03-2007   #31
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Pappy and Caddy need to hook up.
Old 10-03-2007   #32
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Ya know it amazes me how peple react to one game where green was not the runningback who could not get the one yard.

Smith has had one draft and really one off season to repair all the crap that the C & C FUBAR factory did.

There was no other runningbacks available during the off season so they went with the best available.
Old 10-03-2007   #33
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1185 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is this team motivated ? Seems to me they have lost that motivation ! .
Based on what? A single game? Yeah, they showed up a little flat. The play calling was marginal on both sides of the ball and the running game was crap. But explain this to me, genius: If they weren't motivated, how come they were still trying to claw there way (no matter how inept that clawing was) back into the game in Q4? How come they were still fighting against Indy in Q4? These guys are sooooo much more motivated than the previous squads and it shows because there doesn't appears to be NO QUIT in this team.

Quote:
No one blamed Kubiak for the DW contract or his bad knee it was his trust in DW to tote the rock another year that is the question ..
Ehhhhhh.... DW said he was going to be good to go. I won't fault Kubiak for trusting him on that. They had other holes to fill on the roster and DW said he'd be good to go, so Rick and Gary started filling those holes. Was it the right move on their part? Maybe not. For what its worth, these guys appear to be learning from their mistakes and don't seem to be counting on injured players to recover.

Quote:
There are no questions solved here including quaterback as of this writing we are still losers.
Well, the OL appears to be better (not great, but better). The WR play is no longer limited to AJ. The TE's are contributing in the passing game. Our QB doesn't collapse and go fetal 2-4 times per game... and he can also attack a cover 2 defense! The defense is improved, if nothing else, just by the fact that the offense is not leaving them on the field for 45 minutes a game by constantly going 3 and out.

And we're not "still losers." We're actually .500 and have a shot at being there at the end of the year. But what makes this team not "losers" is the fact that they don't quit even when their backs are against the wall.

I could go on and on, but I'm starting to feel like I'm beating my head against a wall.
Old 10-03-2007   #34
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is this team motivated ? Seems to me they have lost that motivation ! No one blamed Kubiak for the DW contract or his bad knee it was his trust in DW to tote the rock another year that is the question . Ahman is the solution long or short , bad knee and all and this is the big concern . There are no questions solved here including quaterback as of this writing we are still losers . Dayne is a one yard and a cloud of fat if that .

I am not a loser and neither is the team, the only loser I see here at the moment is you, pal !

No questions solved? Sorry but I think you ment to post that part over on the Carolina board. Are we sure this is not Hulk or his brother or mother trying to stir crap up because of great, I mean bad Davey played Sunday.
Old 10-03-2007   #35
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 41385 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't fault Kubes for thinking DW would be able to play. Most of us on this board thought he would be back. He had a knee injury and IIRC, he was cleared to play but decided not to. I remember Kubiak stating that DW's knee would never be the same and that he had to learn to adjust and play on it with the way it was. Now, if we want to discuss heart, that's another issue. DW maybe should have played through the knee issue after it healed, he chose not to. Do I fault him? I don't know, haven't really given it another thought since he left. He got his contract and money and hit the road. Happens.
Old 10-03-2007   #36
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

When you are building a team from scratch like we've been doing the last 20 months, tailback should be about the last position addressed. Their careers are very short because they take such a pounding. So even if you get The Man at TB, he may wear out before your team is ready to contend.

Tailback is about the easiest position in the NFL to learn (if--and it's a big if--they know how to pass-protect), so guys can be plugged in from off the street. You won't be getting LDT that way, but if the line creates a hole, any competent TB can get through it.

This is why the Ahman signing made so much sense. He's a good back who only had one previous serious injury--at his age, that is really good (compare, say, fellow 1998 draft class member Fred Taylor). And his is basically a two year deal, so he buys us time to get everything else in place with few strings attached. It is bad luck he got hurt, but if he's back this week, it's all good.

But I think we still need another back to help out the passing game to take the heat off Green. Dayne obviously can't, and I'm assuming Gado can't since he has barely played. There is a back out there who (1) can catch the ball, (2) knows Kubiak's offense and (3) as a huge bonus, is very familiar with Matt Schaub. I know most of you are probably not huge Wali Lundy fans, but I think he can do well in a third-down back type role so that Ahman does not have to take all the pounding. Lundy caught Schaub's check-downs for two years at UVA and was excellent getting the ball up the field (contrast with Cook and Leach who pretty much get tackled right where they catch it). He's no All-Pro, but he can plug right in and give Schaub another viable target in the passing game.

Last edited by Hooston Texan; 10-03-2007 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Corrected for typos
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007   #37
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
When you are building a team from scratch like we've been doing the last 20 months, tailback should be about the last position addressed. Their careers are very short because they take such a pounding. So even if you get The Man at TB, he may wear out before your team is ready to contend.

Tailback is about the easiest position in the NFL to learn (if--and it's a big if--they know how to pass-protect), so guys can be plugged in from off the street. You won't be getting LDT that way, but if the line creates a whole, any competent TB can get through it.

This is why the Ahman signing made so much sense. He's a good back who only had one previous serious injury--at his age, that is really good (compare, say, fellow 1998 draft class member Fred Taylor). And his is basically a two year deal, so he buys us time to get everything else in place. It is bad luck he got hurt, but if he's back this week, we've still got a shot.

But I think we still need another back to help out the passing game to take the heat off Green. Dayne obviously can't, and I'm assuming Gado can't since he has barely played. There is a back out there who (1) can catch the ball, (2) knows Kubiak's offense and (3) as a huge bonus, is very familiar with Matt Schaub. I know most of you are probably not huge Wali Lundy fans, but I think he can do well in a third-down back type role so that Ahman does not have to take all the pounding. Lundy caught Schaub's check-downs for two years at UVA and was excellent getting the ball up the field (contrast with Cook and Leach who pretty much get tackled right where they catch it). He's no All-Pro, but he can plug right in and give Schaub another viable target in the passing game.
Rep for you! Unfortunately, your post probably will be overlooked since the instigator of this post doesn't really sound too serious about talking football.

Outstanding post.
Old 10-03-2007   #38
real

I think they should bring Wali back too...
Old 10-03-2007   #39
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post
I think they should bring Wali back too...
IMO, Wali isn't an improvement over Dayne or Gado.

I think we've just got to face the fact that we're stuck with what we have for the season. Sadly, if Green continues to have issues throughout the season, our running game will remain towards the bottom of the league.

We are who we are.
Old 10-03-2007   #40
real

I think Wali gives us something we don't have, and that is quickness in the backfield.

IMHO, Lundy would have been the better back to keep rather than Samkon...

But I think politics played a big part in that decision.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read