Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-02-2007   #21
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bennett could replace Faggins as Texans cornerback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
We're just going to have to live with Faggins getting constantly burned. I know that's a tough pill to swallow,
so here is a glass of water to help you get it down.

"Devise gameplans/coverages/looks to protect that side of the field"? That's a double edged sword. Adjusting for a weakness only makes you weaker somewhere else from a secondary standpoint.

If you want to take Petey out of the picture, you're just going to have to disrupt the opposing QB. There is no easy fix here.

Well, I think with better and more cohesive safety play, he'll get better over there. I think some of the problems in the secondary are a result of such massive personnel changes... As that settles down, the entire secondary will respond. Once Petey knows where the safety help will be, he'll improve.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007   #22
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

We should trade for DeAngelo Hall.
TexansLucky13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007   #23
Exithios
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Exithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
We should trade for DeAngelo Hall.
Agreed. I still suggest we deal them Jerome Mathis and, in good faith, a litter of pit bull puppies...
Exithios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007   #24
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...php?pyid=17341
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...yers/5767.html
http://www.mymockdraft.com/595/PlayerDetail.aspx

Info to remind us why he was drafted. Good size and speed. That word we all like, potential.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007   #25
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 60434 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
We're just going to have to live with Faggins getting constantly burned. I know that's a tough pill to swallow,
so here is a glass of water to help you get it down.

"Devise gameplans/coverages/looks to protect that side of the field"? That's a double edged sword. Adjusting for a weakness only makes you weaker somewhere else from a secondary standpoint.
If you want to take Petey out of the picture, you're just going to have to disrupt the opposing QB. There is no easy fix here.
Teams do this successfully all the time. The Texans don't because they use a lot of man coverage, even though man coverage doesn't suit their palyers abilities. I'm still not overly impressed with Richard Smith and his ability to put his defense in a position to succeed. I agree that more consistent pressure on the QB goes along way in hiding defeciencies in other areas of the the defense.
Old 10-02-2007   #26
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Teams do this successfully all the time. The Texans don't because they use a lot of man coverage, even though man coverage doesn't suit their palyers abilities. I'm still not overly impressed with Richard Smith and his ability to put his defense in a position to succeed. I agree that more consistent pressure on the QB goes along way in hiding defeciencies in other areas of the the defense.
I'd like to know what kind of game-planning goes on and how much they feel they're limited by personnel. I know they said they planned to play man against the Chiefs, but they were able to do that because of how putrid the receivers were. But most of the time, it seems Smith just wants to get pressure with the front four without trying to confuse the opposing offense. Is this because they're scared of exposing the secondary if they blitz? Or does he just not have a "bag of tricks" like Dick LeBeau and Jim Johnson for example?
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007   #27
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 51708 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

"The sky parts and we win 10 in a row"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-02-2007   #28
Hook'er
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 Hook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Faggins getting constantly burned is what makes it seem like Faggins is getting constantly burned. Teams picked on D-Rob for about half the season his rookie year, but he turned it to his advantage and made them pay. All the stuff about draft position(as if THAT mattered) and him being a "natural" nickel back not withstanding, Faggins is just not up to the task. That being said, IMO, we don't really have a viable replacement at this moment, so it's up to Smith to devise gameplans/coverages/looks to protect that side of the field.
EDIT: I didn't read all the way down before this post. Lucky took the words outta my mouth.
Petey AKA the new "P-Burnt", we just got rid of one last year with P.Bucannon!
Old 10-02-2007   #29
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'er View Post
Petey AKA the new "P-Burnt", we just got rid of one last year with P.Bucannon!
Who's now playing for the Buccs and I think, looking OK.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007   #30
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
You'd like to think you can prevent hamstring injuries through hard work, but there isn't a proven scientific way to prevent them or heal them faster.
Have you ever heard of a basketball player with a pulled hamstring?

They run backwards a lot - is that the miracle workout?
Old 10-02-2007   #31
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 66612 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Have you ever heard of a basketball player with a pulled hamstring?

They run backwards a lot - is that the miracle workout?
Yes. Happens all the time.

And so no. Nice thought though.
Old 10-02-2007   #32
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Yes. Happens all the time.

And so no. Nice thought though.

I can't recall any at the pro level, and I watch a lot of ball. Maybe I'm just brain dead. Lots of sprains, cramps, and stuff, but I can't think of a pulled hamstring.
Old 10-02-2007   #33
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Teams with good FS's do this all the time. Playing a seafty over the top would be the optium way to keep Faggins from getting burnt for big plays...Oh...wait...my bad...Faggins is NOT getting burned for big plays.

If you want to keep the WR that Faggins is covering from having such a big cushion you need Faggins to try and jam the WR at the line. And if you ask Faggins to do that he WILL get burnt for big plays, unless the safeties can cover over the top of the play.

Do you really think that our safeties are good enough to help over the top?

Last edited by Errant Hothy; 10-02-2007 at 08:53 PM.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007   #34
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't want it to sound like I'm saying Faggins is a great corner, I'm just trying to look at our CB situation as objectively as possible and seem to be one of the few actually defending the poor play of Faggins- if that makes any sense whatsoever. lol

-I'm looking forward to Fred Bennet playing. I was really excited we drafted him, and extatic when we got him in the trade down in the 4th round! However, he's a rookie. he's a rookie cb. Leon Hall who was arguably the best CB in the draft has been burned left and right this season. It is such a hard transition for rookies to come in at CB and compete. Give him some time. He has awesome size and a knack for the ball- I truly feel he'll be good but I am in NO WAY condoning us starting him... If kubiak feels he's currently the best #2 for our team, by all means. In my opinion though, he would just be severely overmatched. Another perfect example was the 1st quarter. When Deangelo Hall was out, Rookie 2nd rd pick Chris Houston from Arkansas came in to take his place. Schaub picked on him with a decent gain to Walter and the long TD pass to Andre Davis. Chris Houston is extremely fast and a guy many of us were looking at to pick if we traded down. Just trying to put some stuff in perspective.

-Petey Faggins. Rewatching the ATL/Hou game I must point some things out for all those wanting to stone this guy.
*TD #1: Faggins wasn't guarding Jenkins. It looked like it was some sorta zone play. Fletcher was on Jenkins and switched over to the other wr guarding right on the goal line. Von Hutchins had to cover Jenkins and was behind him, Demeco Ryans was too late coming over as well.
*TD #2: Again, Faggins wasn't covering Jenkins. Fletcher was and missed the tackle on like the 5 yd line or so.

I just want people to get the facts straight and if you must blame someone, at least blame the right person.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007   #35
Hook'er
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 Hook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden cover

I really don't think it could get any worse the Petey "P-Burnt" Faggins!:
Old 10-03-2007   #36
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1965 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
If you listen to the Kubiak interview from yesterday (I'm thinking this is where MM is getting the Fred Bennett idea) Kubiak to me, doesn't really sound like he wants to move Bennett. I think this is just Manful being her usual self jumping the gun.
This is exactly as I am seeing it. He was asked about Bennett, and he said when he get healthy we would like to see where he is, and how far he has progressed. If also said, yes (to the question), he has a a big body, and would be a nice match up.

I did not hear him say Faggins is losing his job when Bennett is healthy like she is implying.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007   #37
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe this is stupid [what else is new ] but isn't Von Hutchins fast enough to cover Faggins receiver over the top when Faggins plays closer up? Now, I'm talking about putting VH on that strong side, but we all know Faggins needs more help than D-Rob. Then, we move whoever our SS is to D-Rob's side and send CC Brown to go play tiddlie-winks or something.

Don't tell me D-Rob can't handle it.

If you're worried about the safety on Faggins' side stopping the run, just remember that we don't have that problem anyway. Demeco pretty much squashes that need. Also, maybe he might get hurt or something, but Von Hutchins has been known to lay the wood is his short playing time with us. I think we need to do something different. One way or another, Faggins needs to quit giving up all those short receptions--whether he gets help he trusts, or he sits down.

PS-I wouldn't even mind using Bennet or Fletcher at CB and putting "Petey" at safety on their side. I'm SICK to death of inadequate pass coverage on that side.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007   #38
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Well, I think with better and more cohesive safety play, he'll get better over there. I think some of the problems in the secondary are a result of such massive personnel changes... As that settles down, the entire secondary will respond. Once Petey knows where the safety help will be, he'll improve.
after reading some of these posts, i'm thinking i've been a bit too hard on him... and so have alot of the people posting. the one argument that i just don't think flys is:

there are better CB's on this team.

Faggins frustrates me to no end... but there isn't any body better RIGHT NOW. I hate to see him getting eaten alive on these boards.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007   #39
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83307 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I would like to see him play in the nickel first before we just throw him out there in Faggins' spot.

Give him a few games to get back to speed & then if Kubiak likes what he sees we can try him out as the #2.

I dont think that getting him out there sooner rather than later is a good idea at this point, with him coming off an injury.
i'm with you on this one, rep your way. We need to be careful what we wish for.

If he's not ready in any capacity at all, i don't wanna throw him out there in a prime position & have him get his confidence destroyed. Let him work his way in & see what it takes to be a corner in this league.

If we must get Faggins out of there, switch he & fletcher.

A couple of things i have noticed though is Petey's playing with a tad bit more cushion than is dunta who plays a little closer to the WR on his side. Whether he's asked to play this far away or he's just trying to compensate is another story. It looks like his biggest problem is "feeling" the WR while he's looking in the backfield @ the QB.

Last edited by Mr teX; 10-03-2007 at 08:20 AM.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007   #40
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Maybe this is stupid [what else is new ] but isn't Von Hutchins fast enough to cover Faggins receiver over the top when Faggins plays closer up? Now, I'm talking about putting VH on that strong side, but we all know Faggins needs more help than D-Rob. Then, we move whoever our SS is to D-Rob's side and send CC Brown to go play tiddlie-winks or something.

Don't tell me D-Rob can't handle it.

If you're worried about the safety on Faggins' side stopping the run, just remember that we don't have that problem anyway. Demeco pretty much squashes that need. Also, maybe he might get hurt or something, but Von Hutchins has been known to lay the wood is his short playing time with us. I think we need to do something different. One way or another, Faggins needs to quit giving up all those short receptions--whether he gets help he trusts, or he sits down.

PS-I wouldn't even mind using Bennet or Fletcher at CB and putting "Petey" at safety on their side. I'm SICK to death of inadequate pass coverage on that side.
Hutchins already plays on the strong side behind Faggins, however they are not playing much cover 2. If they did Hutchins would probably be good enough to play over the top of Faggins.

And CC definantly would do just fine playing tiddly winks.

Petey imo does not hit hard enough or tackle well enough to play safety. There is no reason to put him back there. He will play on the outside until Bennett is ready to step up the Faggins will move to the Nickel and Fletch will move to the Dime where they both need to be.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read