Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-04-2007   #21
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: Quarter Season Grades

You know, I've seen a trend in Matt's success throwing in the red zone with the presence of Andre Johnson in the receiving corps. Schaub threw three receiving TDs in the first two games. All of them were to AJ. Since then, he has thrown only one TD to a wide receiver, Davis.

Where this gets really interesting to me is that during the Indy and (especially) the Atlanta games, Schaub was able to move the chains. His passing yardage went 225 (KC), 227 (Carolina), 236 (Indy) and 317 (Atlanta).

Where I am leading to is that AJ has always been the guy to move the chains (JMO). The Texans could not rely on receivers like Bradford to move the chains (and, FWIW, Carr couldn't either). Now, AJ's role has changed to red-zone receiver, where his size and skill, I think, makes him particularly lethal to other teams.

Can't wait to get him back on the field...

Last edited by Texans Horror; 10-04-2007 at 12:57 PM. Reason: edited for receiver
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #22
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Here's something I've always thought concerning time of posession. Your defense has a lot of control over it. If it is a concern of the team, simply playing an attacking, aggressive style will shorten the defenses' time on the field. While you will likely give up more plays and points, you will also create more turnovers and give the ball to your offense more times per game. If the offense can score, I think being overaggressive on defense is a viable way to combat the time of posession issues your team may have.

Does that make sense?

Basically, I think that's what Indy does. They play very aggressive- creating turnovers and applying pressure in order to get the ball back to the offense. Then, once they've created a good lead, then they drop back into the cover-2 shell. But if you watch them in the first half, they are almost always 8 men in the box, playing a lot of press coverage and shooting gaps.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #23
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240894 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Horror View Post
You know, I've seen a trend in Matt's success throwing in the red zone with the presence of Andre Johnson in the receiving corps.
How many of AJ's touchdowns were in the red zone?
Old 10-04-2007   #24
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94101 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
2 i believe, the quick slant against KC & then the slant fade against Carolina.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #25
BeerTastesLikeVictory
Custom Title

Rep Power: 31401 BeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respected

I am really high on Schaub now, but I would like to see more Owen Daniels in the red zone. I am sure this is more playcalling that QB, but I think a few bump and release plays would provide a good outlet for TD's with short yardage in the red zone, especially when AJ is back.

*Sig by False Start*
"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
-David Daye
BeerTastesLikeVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #26
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
2 i believe, the quick slant against KC & then the slant fade against Carolina.
Good point. Only one of AJ's TDs would be a red-zone TD (within the 20-yard range). It was a 9-yarder in the Carolina game. His other two TDs were for 31 yards out (still outside the red zone) and of course 77 yards out. But I wouldn't be surprised if, when AJ does get back, we see Matt successfully moving the ball around his receivers, and then focusing on AJ when he gets into the red zone.
Old 10-04-2007   #27
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240894 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerTastesLikeVictory View Post
I am really high on Schaub now, but I would like to see more Owen Daniels in the red zone. I am sure this is more playcalling that QB, but I think a few bump and release plays would provide a good outlet for TD's with short yardage in the red zone, especially when AJ is back.
This is more key than anything, IMO. AJ can help open up the middle for OD by clearing it on a crossing route, but OD still has to be able to operate in the red zone. I don't know if that hasn't been happening to this point because of gameplanning, or if he just needs work in that area. I don't know.

I do know that I don't care one whit about how many yards this team throws for - I want TDs. I think they'll come, but really, to this point, the offense has had one good game - Carolina. The offense scored one TD against KC, and it was a 70+ yard pass. No red zone. The offense scored two red zone TDs against the Colts, but the waited until late in the 3rd to really get it going. The game was mostly over by that point. And they scored one offensive TD vs. the Falcons, and it wasn't a red zone TD.

They've shown they can play offense at a high level, with multiple sustained scoring drives. Consistency will come, but to this point, they haven't done a good enough job.
Old 10-04-2007   #28
BeerTastesLikeVictory
Custom Title

Rep Power: 31401 BeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is more key than anything, IMO. AJ can help open up the middle for OD by clearing it on a crossing route, but OD still has to be able to operate in the red zone. I don't know if that hasn't been happening to this point because of gameplanning, or if he just needs work in that area. I don't know.

I do know that I don't care one whit about how many yards this team throws for - I want TDs. I think they'll come, but really, to this point, the offense has had one good game - Carolina. The offense scored one TD against KC, and it was a 70+ yard pass. No red zone. The offense scored two red zone TDs against the Colts, but the waited until late in the 3rd to really get it going. The game was mostly over by that point. And they scored one offensive TD vs. the Falcons, and it wasn't a red zone TD.

They've shown they can play offense at a high level, with multiple sustained scoring drives. Consistency will come, but to this point, they haven't done a good enough job.

I agree with you if we compare this Texans team to the upper tier of offenses in the league, as we should do. We can take a little comfort in the improvement over the Texans teams from previous years.

*Sig by False Start*
-David Daye
Old 10-04-2007   #29
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Horror View Post
Since then, he has thrown only one receiving TD, to Davis.
Schaub had a passing TD to Leach as well.
Old 10-04-2007   #30
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

...has thrown only one TD to a wide receiver.
Old 10-04-2007   #31
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree with you if we compare this Texans team to the upper tier of offenses in the league, as we should do. We can take a little comfort in the improvement over the Texans teams from previous years.
Honestly that isn't really fair to match this offensive unit with top tier offenses yet. AJ is the only really proven guy out there, we esentially still have a rookie QB back there learning a new system, this offseason we overhauled (really looking like severly upgraded too Davis might have found himself a home and more PT) our WR corps, got a vet RB but still not really set at RB, and two good young TE's.

The floor on this team is looking good but the thing that gives me pause is ATM i can't see the ceiling for the unit and that my friends is a good thing. While Schaub doesn't have the laser rocket arm i don't think you need to have one with the game plan it looks like Kubiak wants to run. We have WRs that can make thing happen after the catch and TE's that can find the zone. While it might not be the vertical game that some people here wet themselves about it's looking like it'll be a dynamic offense once we get all the pieces in place and healthy.

As for Defense I'm still not sure Richard Smith is the guy but it took a while for the squad to gel last year too when they ended the season strong. I'd like to see us get settled in with our two safeties more and hoping either Boulware or Demps proves to be a more long term solution at either spot.After that i think the way we handle coverages will get better, will allow us to blitz(scary idea there), and give our line more time to get to the opposing QB.

I like what I'm seeing here.I can see the pieces Kubiak and Smith are putting together and we're fielding a solid squad this year for the first time. While i'm excited about the prospects of getting these guys healthy and making a legit playoff run this year next year this team will blossom.I've told most of my other friends this year we WILL finish second in our Division. With the AFC East looking down and the West looking unstable there is a legit chance it will be good enough to get a wildcard spot.

This team is young and the larger part of the Staff a bit green...but it's a team you can get excited about.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #32
BeerTastesLikeVictory
Custom Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Honestly that isn't really fair to match this offensive unit with top tier offenses yet. AJ is the only really proven guy out there, we esentially still have a rookie QB back there learning a new system, this offseason we overhauled (really looking like severly upgraded too Davis might have found himself a home and more PT) our WR corps, got a vet RB but still not really set at RB, and two good young TE's.
I think you missed my point. I was referring to Eriadoc's post.

Quote:
I agree they are not there yet. I was just pointing to the fact that if we are comparing them to the Indy's and NE's of the league we have not done great, but if we compare to last year or 05 Texans we are light years ahead. You are basically saying the same thing I was, just in a more drawn out post. If my post was mis-leading then I appologize.

*Sig by False Start*
-David Daye
Old 10-04-2007   #33
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
I think you missed my point. I was referring to Eriadoc's post.

I agree they are not there yet. I was just pointing to the fact that if we are comparing them to the Indy's and NE's of the league we have not done great, but if we compare to last year or 05 Texans we are light years ahead. You are basically saying the same thing I was, just in a more drawn out post. If my post was mis-leading then I appologize.
I never said anything about comparing them to Indy and NE. I'd settle for being in the top half of Red Zone TDs. In the past, we were there, percentage-wise; we just seldom reached the red zone. Now, we reach the red zone, and kick FGs. Like I said, it'll come. I'm not worried or pessimistic - I was just pointing it out so far. That's really been the only glitch in the offense to this point.
Old 10-04-2007   #34
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I think overrall, i have been pleased with the progress of the team. When people rate schaubs red zone scoring, look at him missing green and Johnson. The o line has been solid, daniels should get more looks, davis should be opposite of johnson. The d-line has been good, not great and would be better if the coverage opposite of robinson was better. faggins should be on the bench no doubt. Actually, he should try out at safety or dimeback because his footspeed is terrible. When green comes back with Johnson, i think this team will be very good offensively. i thought 8-8, i think 9-7 is actually within reach.
leebigeztx is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read