Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-01-2007   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default My observations on the game

Apparently I have become known as something of a pessimist, but I prefer to see it as a realist. I still think we have a good shot at doing something this year, and honestly believe we could have been 4-0 if we hadn't lost significant players to injury.

Anyway, on to the Falcons game:

The Run
Problem #1. We weren't ready for the Falcons. We ran the ball at their right side every time but 2 or 3. When we went right, we got 2-3 yards a cary. When we went left, we got a 25 yard gain, a 5 yard gain, and a dropped toss that was fumbled out of bounds. I don't think Dayne is a very good running back. He hits the hole hard and runs straight ahead. If there isn't a hole, he doesnt get much. He can't create yards at all. If your run blocking has gone south like ours has with the loss of McKinney, someone like Dayne just isn't a big threat.

Schaub
I still think Schaub is superb. But now I know he's not a veteran. His clock management leaves a little to be desired. When you are down a lot with a little time left, you can't take the 3 yard completions over the middle. Maybe it was the playcalling, but you have to wait for a play near the sidelines at least a little down field. A 3 yard gain does you nothing.

Same thing for that key first down on 4th where he tossed it for a 1 yard loss. Why even throw that ball? At least give yourself a chance and go for it yourself

The refs
Those early calls against the Texans really hurt us. 2 against Petey were highly questionable. We got some favors back in return later on, but those against us were pretty awful.

The defense
What do Joey Harrington and Mark Brunell have in common? They both will have played spectacular games against the Texans before being benched in a few weeks. We have always had a habit of making horrible QBs look like probowlers, and today was no different. When Joey doubles his career passer rating against us, something is wrong. We were getting no pressure, and when we did blitz, Harrington could see it coming every time. Again, we played soft coverages that gave up a lot of 5-8 yard gains which totally demoralizes, exhausts, and basically beats us.

Anyway, we are still 2-2 and going into a winnable game. We've had our 2 best offensive weapons sidelined, and have still played in there. A loss to the Falcons is not as embarassing as it seems, as I said last week, they are a good team.
Old 10-01-2007   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: My observations on the game

I think if everyone watches the game again we will see that Flanagan did a pretty decent job in protection and run blocking.
Old 10-01-2007   #3
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I think if everyone watches the game again we will see that Flanagan did a pretty decent job in protection and run blocking.
Yeah. I don't think the line can be used as a scape goat anymore. They did ok yesterday. Not great but ok.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #4
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
Yeah. I don't think the line can be used as a scape goat anymore. They did ok yesterday. Not great but ok.
If you can't run for 1 yd for a TD or a first down, who's at fault. Poor run blocking coupled with a RB that shouldn't even be in the NFL equals a disastrous running game.

I just can't figure out what the coaches see in our RB's. If Green doesn't get healthy and remain healthy, look forward to many games like the past two. Good RB's can create something out of nothing. Ron Dayne couldn't produce behind an all-pro Oline.

Old 10-01-2007   #5
TexansSB07
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 TexansSB07 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexansSB07 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post

The refs
Those early calls against the Texans really hurt us. 2 against Petey were highly questionable. We got some favors back in return later on, but those against us were pretty awful.

I think that was the WORST officiated game in a long time, we punt they start run back. and I see a blatent block to back, screaming for flag....flag thrown Houston HOLDING.

It was like that all day see little window FLAG, knew we were going to get nailed 3rd & 4 we sack Harrington, Holding Houston D-Lineman, funny thing is CBS shows replay there's the holder BEING HELD by an Atlanta player.

We challenge they refuse, Atlanta challenges they accept, I was just sick of officiating by Geriatric Gerry Austin and his band of monkeys by end of game. ESPECIALLY when they rip off Schaub for that TD, he was down by contact...ONLY time contact made by an atlanta player he was on his feet fell down rolled into end zone...guess Geriatric Gerry has tag your it rules and NOT the NFL rules book

Last edited by TexansSB07; 10-01-2007 at 10:56 AM. Reason: spelling
TexansSB07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #6
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSB07 View Post
I think that was the WORST officiated game in a long time, we punt they start run back. and I see a blatent block to back, screaming for flag....flag thrown Houston HOLDING.

It was like that all day see little window FLAG, knew we were going to get nailed 3rd & 4 we sack Harrington, Holding Houston D-Lineman, funny thing is CBS shows replay there's the holder BEING HELD by an Atlanta player.

We challenge they refuse, Atlanta challenges they accept, I was just sick of officiating by Geriatric Gerry Austin and his band of monkeys by end of game. ESPECIALLY when they rip off Schaub for that TD, he was down by contact...ONLY time contact made by an atlanta player he was on his feet fell down rolled into end zone...guess Geriatric Gerry has tag your it rules and NOT the NFL rules book
I don't know about the down by contact thing, but I totally agree with you on everything else. We weren't playing 11 on 11 for awhile thats for sure, but I hate gripping about officiating. It just reeks of excuses, we should have won this game, period. Hopefully, we get some players back and the coaches fix some things and we get back on the "W" side against Miami.
Old 10-01-2007   #7
austintexanite
All Pro

Dayne doesn't like contact, that one the big issue with him in NY...he never lived up to the thunder part.
austintexanite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-01-2007   #8
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
If theres a hole, Dayne can get 3 or 4 yards. If theres no hole, he gets 0 to 2. He was getting 0-2 a lot. There were no good running lanes for him to go through

The pass blocking, oddly enough, looked great
Old 10-01-2007   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
If you can't run for 1 yd for a TD or a first down, who's at fault. Poor run blocking coupled with a RB that shouldn't even be in the NFL equals a disastrous running game.

I just can't figure out what the coaches see in our RB's. If Green doesn't get healthy and remain healthy, look forward to many games like the past two. Good RB's can create something out of nothing. Ron Dayne couldn't produce behind an all-pro Oline.

I think our RBs and LTs are just what we thought they'd be with exception of Jordan Black who has shown nothing to me. Salaam is an ok tackle against ok opponents. When he goes up against the best such as yesterday, it shows. This is a coaching issue that you game plan for. We should have went nuts with the pass as it seemed successful after our first series that went kerplunk. We went after the best LTs and RB we could in free agency. We missed our first choice at LT who used us to grab a big check. We can't do anything about DBs this year but we can improve on Dline and coaching. I am a big Kubes fan, but he is responsible for the team. Time to have a big one against Miami and hopefully some of our bunged up guys will be back after that week. Man, Davis appears to be a big find and when AJ comes back whooweee.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #10
real

I didn't get a chance to watch the Colts game really, but how did Salaam do against Freeney ?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read